Thread: Aleks Maric wants to play for Serbia.

AlbionGate

Default Aleks Maric wants to play for Serbia.

Australian born Aleks Maric (Centar, 211, 1984) told to serbian media that he won't play anymore for Australia and that he is willing to play for Serbian National Team. Considering that FIBA allowed such move in the past (for instance, Vasco Evtimov play for french senior NT and later for Bulgarian national team), only Australian Basketball Federation can prevent Maric to fulfill his dream.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbionGate View Post
    Australian born Aleks Maric (Centar, 211, 1984) told to serbian media that he won't play anymore for Australia and that he is willing to play for Serbian National Team. Considering that FIBA allowed such move in the past (for instance, Vasco Evtimov play for french senior NT and later for Bulgarian national team), only Australian Basketball Federation can prevent Maric to fulfill his dream.
    Albion, I just wanted to open a thread about him and found out you beat me to it

he went unnoticed in the spanish league but he´s having a monster season with Partizan (tonight yet another impressive game). Is he a late-bloomer?

I watched a clip some days ago and for a moment I thought I was seeing a taller Nikola Pekovic. The same moves but with an outside shot. He seems very dominant.

Any thoughts on him?

It's sad to see this youngster deciding not to play for Australia. The next four years it looks certain that the centre and power forward position on the Australian team have players who have cemented their place: Milwaukee Bucks' Andrew Bogut, Houston Rockets' David Andersen, Minnesota Timberwolves' Nathan Jawai and CB Valencia's Matty Nielsen. Thus, I could imagine Maric finding it very tough in making the squad or finding playing time. I'm sure he's up there with these boys however, all four have been the core of the team for the past two years thus, it would be hard for Coach Brett Brown to find playing time for the youngster.

Besides Maric, there's a fair number of Australian basketball players who are actually eligible to play for other national teams due to their family heritage. For example, Andrew Bogut's parents are both Croatian, David Andersen's parents are Danish and former key national team member and former ACB player Martin Cattalini's parents are both Italian.
    Last edited by Saskibaloia; 12-10-2009 at 10:40 PM.
    "No hay poder en el mundo que pueda cambiar el destino"
    -El Padrino

AlbionGate

Quote Originally Posted by pep View Post
    Albion, I just wanted to open a thread about him and found out you beat me to it

he went unnoticed in the spanish league but he´s having a monster season with Partizan (tonight yet another impressive game). Is he a late-bloomer?

I watched a clip some days ago and for a moment I thought I was seeing a taller Nikola Pekovic. The same moves but with an outside shot. He seems very dominant.

Any thoughts on him?
    Yes, we can say that Aleks is a late bloomer, mostly because he started to play basketball very lately (when he was 16). Previousely, he was playing soccer. But Aleks was already efficient when he was in Nebraska (NCAA).

His stats in NCAA
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/players/37810

I also think that he was underrated in the past. For instance, in Australian U18 & 19 national team, he was the backup center (Andrew Bogut was the starter) and last year in Granada (Spain) he was Curtis Brochardt (former NBA player) backup. But for me, the main change, is that Aleks is very well used by coach Vujosevic. Vujosevic is known for his individual work with centers and for basing his team game on the inside players. In the past, the main offensive threats of Partizan were Milojevic, Perovic, Pekovic.

About Maric game, he still have to improve his F-T %, but he is already better rebounder than Pekovic. He also have to work on his lefty hook. It would be great to see him against Pekovic, to see who is better.

AlbionGate

I forgot to mention the role of Bo McCaleb. With his quickness he offers many easy baskets to Aleks too.

I read in wikipedia that he started playing basketball at Australian Institute of Sports.So he was born,raised, learned the game in Australia,took advantage of Australian citizens' tax money to develop as a player and now turns their back at them and says he wants to play for Serbia.Australian Association would indeed be idiots to allow this.

AlbionGate

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    I read in wikipedia that he started playing basketball at Australian Institute of Sports.So he was born,raised, learned the game in Australia,took advantage of Australian citizens' tax money to develop as a player and now turns their back at them and says he wants to play for Serbia.Australian Association would indeed be idiots to allow this.
    Do Kostas Koufos and Nick Calathes feel more greek than american ?

SunOverHStreet

Greeks are the last one to complain about this. So, please, spare us...

Imo in this kind of cases an athlete should choose to represent the country in which he was born,raised and learned the sport.But if they want to play for the country of their ancestors like Koufos or Kalathes,that's respectable as well.The thing with Maric is he developed in AI of Sports which is funded by Australian State to produce athletes who will represent the country in Olympics and other world sport competitions.If Maric felt more Serbian from the begining,he should not accept training there and then decline Australia's youth teams' invitations.It's also ungrateful to reject Australia after they have spent all this money for his developement as a player.

SunOverHStreet

I don't expect any kind of objectivity from you, but you seem to have a big problem with this... So, K and K got their basketball knowledge from... Who? Great council of Greek diaspora hired a coach to train Greek prospects, or they've got free education as any other American out there. And how about free university scholarship? Isn't that payed by university, which basically means that tax payers financed it. American tax payers.
    K and K wanted and are playing for Greece, Maric wants to play for Serbia and it is very doubtful he will ever, but still it's the same thing. Don't be a hypocrite about it and stop making up those non-sense reasons.
    Greece have history of doing such things and I don't have any problem with it. Remember Galis, he pushed Greek basketball one step further, if it wasn't for him, things would be different now. So, maybe we need Maric now, he can help to put us where we belong...

The difference is that Marić already played for youth categories for Australia and therefore already made the decision about playing for Australia. Only Australian federation can allow him to play for Serbia. I believe they won't do such thing - they would be stupid if they would. Same as Slovenian basketball federation blocks the wish of Preldžić, Begić and Rizvić to play for their native country BiH. They made their decision.

AlbionGate

Imo in this kind of cases an athlete should choose to represent the country in which he was born,raised and learned the sport.But if they want to play for the country of their ancestors like Koufos or Kalathes,that's respectable as well.The thing with Maric is he developed in AI of Sports which is funded by Australian State to produce athletes who will represent the country in Olympics and other world sport competitions.If Maric felt more Serbian from the begining,he should not accept training there and then decline Australia's youth teams' invitations.It's also ungrateful to reject Australia after they have spent all this money for his developement as a player.
    So give us back 210 cm tall volley-ball player Mitar Djuric also known as Mitar Tsourits. As far as I know he is now the best "greek" volley-ball player although he joined Greece only two years ago.

AlbionGate

Quote Originally Posted by elaj View Post
    The difference is that Marić already played for youth categories for Australia and therefore already made the decision about playing for Australia. Only Australian federation can allow him to play for Serbia. I believe they won't do such thing - they would be stupid if they would. Same as Slovenian basketball federation blocks the wish of Preldžić, Begić and Rizvić to play for their native country BiH. They made their decision.
    I believe they won't it too. Especially now because the draw put both teams in the same group.

He didnt play for Serbia in the youths bcs he wasnt good enough(as said started playing 16 years old). Now he is good enough and he chooses Serbia. Even without him we have a team to dominate world basketball(again) for the next 10 years.But why not make it easier with Maric?! Imagine Krstic,Maric and Milicic rotating on the C position. And as back up theres Perovic and Raduljica.

There are so many Serbian players playing for foreign countries its only natural to get something back.

SunOverHStreet

I'm more worried with Raduljica still being in FMP, he's bigger prospect than Marić. Raduljica's talent is being wasted in FMP, I would love to see him in Partizan, but that is mission impossible for Partizan's current management. He simply needs to play in bigger competition than NLB and Serbian league, ahead of him is so much work to do and a lot of experience to gain. I really don't see how will he do that in FMP. With two years with Dule, I think that he would be twice as good as he is now. That's the best option for him, since no other club in Serbia works with big guys like they do in Partizan and I'm sure that there's no foreign club which can pay a large sum of money for a still undeveloped player. BTW, Raduljica have much better shoot than Marić, who struggles a lot with free throws.

Raduljica is a regular at Partizan games...Its quite possible that he signs for Partizan next year.Its a rumour for months now... I agree, he has the potential to be better than Maric and Krstic. Natural strength and basketball instinct with the help of Vujosevic and the sky is the limit

SunOverHStreet

I really don't care which club he supports privately, I'm more concerned about his basketball future. Don't get me wrong, it's a bright future, but question is with how much lux... If you catch my drift.
    He's a clever guy, I think he knows what's best for him.

I agree that Raduljica is a great prospect, but I´m not worried: I haven´t watched him recently but I get the feeling that he is improving. His numbers are better than those last year. FMP is not a bad basketball school after all
    But of course in 1 or 2 years he should be playing for a team that plays the euroleague.
    What could be more worrying is:
    -that Musli should be getting minutes as Raduljica´s back-up center but Samardziski is in the way. Musli´s fellow members of the U-18 National Team (Djekic, Jaramaz, Andjusic) are already having minutes after all.
    -Marjanovic´s knees

SunOverHStreet

Quote Originally Posted by pep View Post
    Musli should be getting minutes as Raduljica´s back-up center but Samardziski is in the way. Musli´s fellow members of the U-18 National Team (Djekic, Jaramaz, Andjusic) are already having minutes after all.
    That was my point exactly... Đekić will gain more experience this year than any other player from his generation or even older ones(Raduljica).
    About Musli, great prospect, FMP is still a good surrounding for him I think. Next year he will have to get some more minutes, if he don't, than it's a problem...