Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Americas Championship 2011

CAN – Canada expect to launch strong bid to host FIBA Americas Championship

TORONTO (2011 FIBA Americas Championship) – Canada will play at the 2010 FIBA World Championship and they’re hoping to follow that up by hosting the qualifying event for the London Olympics.

The Canadians have submitted a letter of interest to host the 2011 FIBA Americas Championship, but they face still competition with Brazil, Argentina, Puerto Rico and Mexico also wanting to stage the Olympic qualifiers.

The executive director and CEO for Canada Basketball, Wayne Parrish, said: "We plan to work diligently with private and public sector partners over the next few months to submit a viable and vibrant bid package to FIBA Americas that is reflective of our unique diverse nation."

Canada coach Leo Rautins spent the last two summers leading the national team outside of the country.

The men competed in Athens at the 2008 FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament and in San Juan, Puerto Rico, at the 2009 FIBA Americas Championship.

"I am very excited about the opportunity for our team to play at home," Rautins said.

"Our guys, the ‘Road Warriors’, play all around the world and rarely get a chance to compete in front of friends, family and Canada's passionate basketball fan base.

“There is no better way for us to prepare for the chance to compete at the 2012 Olympic Games. "

Canada will discover next week which teams they will go up against at the FIBA World Championship when the draw for the 24-team event is held in Istanbul.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

I would throw my support behind a Canadian bid for the Tournament of the Americas. Canada has one of the oldest basketball programs in the world, yet surprisely as only hosted a major basketball event on the senior level twice: 1976 Olympics & the 1994 World Championships. The time is well overdue that Canada be given a chance to play host, considering that Puerto Rico has hosted the tournament three times already, and the US twice. They certainly have the facilities & resources to pull it off. Toronto, Vancouver, Halifax or Hamilton, Ontario would all be viable locations to host the event. I'm hoping they get it.

Comment

ARG – Audacious Argentina want to stage 2011 FIBA Americas Championship

BUENOS AIRES (2011 FIBA Americas Championship) – Argentina are hoping to host the 2011 FIBA Americas Championship.

The country’s basketball federation has firmly declared its interest in bringing the qualifying tournament for the London Olympics to Mar del Plata, the home of two-time FIBA Americas League winners Penarol.

Argentina Secretary of Sport Claudio Morresi said: "We would like to give a farewell to a marvelous Argentinian basketball generation because many of the careers of these players with the national team will end in 2011 and 2012.

"And we would like this generation of players to be able to have that farewell party at home.

"It would be something fantastic.”

Argentina are the number one side in the FIBA World Rankings and have a star-studded cast that includes several players on the country’s gold-medal winning team at the 2004 Olympics.

Manu Ginobili, Andres Nocioni, Fabricio Oberto and Leo Gutierrez were four members of that title-winning group in Athens who are approaching the end of their international careers.

By hosting the FIBA Americas Championship, the Argentinians would greatly enhance their chances of reaching the London Games in two years.

"I hope that, alongside all the requirements that the FIBA Americas has asked for, it also takes into account that the Argentinian people would like to give a great farewell to our sportsmen," Morresi added.

Should Argentina win the gold medal at the FIBA World Championship in Turkey this summer, they would gain a free pass to the Olympics.

Sergio Hernandez’s team will compete in Preliminary Round Group A against Serbia, Australia, Germany, Angola and Jordan.
      will be going for a world title later this year in Turkey

The city of Mar del Plata in Argentina wants to host the FIBA Americas Championship in 2011.

The president of Argentina’s Olympic Committee, Gerardo Werthein, knows the country needs to have the finances in place to win the right to stage the prestigious event.

"It's going to take a very important financial effort but it is an opportunity and it we see it as important for Argentina to develop in organizing events,” Werthein said.

"Considering what Argentina has given to world basketball, this could serve as a stimulus and plant a seed for a generational change because all our stars are coming to the end and the youngsters have to step in.

"We are very enthusiastic about this and we would like to bring our support to the basketball federation to host the Pre-Olympic tournament."
      Artificial Nature

Comment

CANADA BASKETBALL TAKES BASKETBALL TO NEW HEIGHTS WITH BID TO HOST 2011 FIBA AMERICAS CHAMPIONSHIP FOR MEN

Last Updated: April 29, 2010

TORONTO – Canada Basketball is bidding to host the 2011 FIBA Americas Championship for Men and is hosting the FIBA Americas Evaluation Commission. As part of the site visit in Toronto, Canada Basketball will conduct a press conference at the world’s tallest free-standing building to introduce the FIBA Americas distinguished guests.

FIBA Americas President Horacio Muratore, Secretary General Alberto Garcia and Event Manager Javier Otero will join Canada Basketball Executive Director and CEO Wayne Parrish and other special guests at Horizons Restaurant atop the CN Tower. They'll meet with the Canadian media and talk about Canada’s bid to host the 2011 FIBA Americas Championship for Men, which will also serve as the zone Olympic qualifier.

Who: Horacio Muratore, President, FIBA Americas
        Alberto Garcia, Secretary General, FIBA Americas
        Javier Otero, Event Manager, FIBA Americas
        Wayne Parrish, Canada Basketball Executive Director and CEO
        Leo Rautins, Canada Basketball Senior Men’s National Team Head Coach
        Rowan Barrett, Canadian Senior Men’s National Team Alumni

What: Press Conference with FIBA Americas Evaluation Commission

When: April 29, 2010 – 3:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.

Where: CN Tower – Horizons Restaurant (Lakeside)
        301 Front Street West
        Toronto, Ontario
        (enter via main welcome centre)

Comment

Originally posted by ArkadiosV2
          Argentina it is then.
          Yes. Argentina it is.

Mar del Plata, Argentina, selected as the host for the 2011 FIBA-Americas Championship

Comment

CAN – No FIBA Americas Championship in Toronto but Canada stay upbeat

TORONTO (2011 FIBA Americas Championship) - Toronto didn’t win the right to stage the 2011 FIBA Americas Championship after losing out to the city of Mar del Plata, Argentina, over the weekend, but Canada Basketball are stressing the positives from their unsuccessful bid.

Rio de Janeiro had also wanted to host the event.

After Toronto was eliminated in the first round of voting by the FIBA Americas Central Board, Mar del Plata defeated Rio de Janeiro 13-4 in the second round.

“I think today we reached a new level for Canada Basketball,” said Maurizio Gherardini, senior vice president of the Toronto Raptors and the managing director of Canada’s senior men’s team, on the Canada Basketball website.

“FIBA Americas and FIBA have both recognized the role we can play in developing the international game.”

Gherardini travelled to San Juan to help make Canada’s presentation along with Wayne Parrish, the executive director and CEO of Canada Basketball, and men’s national team coach Leo Rautins.

Parrish said: “Obviously this is a huge disappointment. Our partners and our staff put a tremendous amount of effort into our bid over the past eight months.

"But I think we have established a new level of respect for Canada within the international basketball community.

“There will be other events and other opportunities.

“Today we laid the foundation for the future.”

FIBA Americas Secretary General, Mr Alberto Garcia, felt Toronto and Rio de Janeiro would have been deserving of the FIBA Americas Championship.

“The three countries came in prepared to win,” he said.

“All made excellent presentations and were ready to become the hosts of this event.

“Argentina made a good economic proposal and I am happy for the result.”

Parrish said: “We had tremendous support, but it’s difficult to compete when the other countries are able to provide up-front guarantees that we’re just not able to match in the Canadian context.”

Rautins, who did a magnificent job with Canada last summer in leading them to a spot at the 2010 FIBA World Championship in Turkey, agreed that Canada had taken a step forward.

“First of all, I congratulate Argentina,” Rautins said.

“I’m very proud of our presentation and the effort behind our bid.

"As with our team, we’ve taken young players and are developing them to become world class athletes.

“Likewise, this bid is a part of the process of becoming a primary player as a federation with FIBA.”
            Artificial Nature

Comment

ARG – Scola, Manu very enthusiastic about 2011 tournament

MAR DEL PLATA (2011 FIBA Americas Championship) – Mar del Plata has had a very good week.

Not only was it named as the host city for next year’s FIBA Americas Championship, its team, Peñarol , capped a magnificent campaign with a Liga Nacional title triumph over Atenas de Córdoba on Tuesday.

Peñarol, who are led by Argentina’s national team coach Sergio Hernandez, earlier this season won the FIBA Americas League for the second time in three years.

With their team crowned champions in Argentina, the good people of Mar del Plata can now revisit the big announcement at the weekend that saw their city named as hosts of the FIBA Americas Championship, an Olympic qualifying tournament that will allow fans to see the country’s golden generation wear the national team shirt for perhaps the last time.

Argentina’s two most famous players have spoken about the opportunity to play in front of their home supporters.

One was Houston Rockets forward Luis Scola.
              "Ten years on and we will officially return to play in Argentina!” said Scola, a member of the Argentina side that finished runners-up at the 2002 FIBA World Championship in Indianapolis and a key player two years later when Argentina captured an Olympic gold medal in Athens.

“It's a real joy!"

San Antonio Spurs guard Manu Ginobili also ‘Tweeted’ about the news.

He said: "Argentina host of the Pre-Olympic tournament 2011!!!! We will be there in Mar del Plata! What a joy!!!!. Yes, I will be there."

Scola will lead the Argentinians this summer when they put their number one spot in the FIBA World Rankings to the test in Turkey.

Argentina will compete at the FIBA World Championship in Group A against Serbia, Australia, Germany, Angola and Iran.
              Artificial Nature

Comment

If USA win the WC, I think will be one spot available at Argentina between Brasil, Dominican Repoblic, Canada and Puerto Rico, Argentina will win the first spot to the olympics.
                Originally Posted by -K2- View Post
                16 free throws in the last 4 minutes...
                Puerto Rico had 20 the whole game

Seriosuly... someone quote this whole post and signature me... Greek Loby Rulz
                8/29/2010...THE DAY WE GOT ROBBED!

Comment

The real fight was only between Argentina and Brazil. Canada only chance was Nash supporting the bid (and commiting to play, of course).

Argentina deserved it due the fact that it should be the last (and the first?) big tournament of gold generation in the front of their fans.

It was a shame for Brazil, since we´re desperatly trying to back to the Olympic Games and considering we now have bigtime Arenas here (after 2007 PanAm Games...more coming with 2016 OG). HSBC Arena and Maracanãzinho would be crazy with basketball fans (see below). It was just a question of bad timing with Gold Generation stuff, IMO...

BTW, I´ll try with all my forces find a way to travel to Mar Del Plata. Brazilians fans should be a biggest force there in any game, but against argentines.

Comment

Originally posted by planaria View Post
                    Argentina deserved it due the fact that it should be the last (and the first?) big tournament of gold generation in the front of their fans.
                    I agree. They've also got some nice arenas and, truthfully, that Argentina NT is one of the best in history, so it is sentimental to have the Americas there.
                    HSBC Arena and Maracanãzinho would be crazy with basketball fans (see below).
                    Is the HSBC Arena the first one? That's beautiful inside. I love the roof. Much better than most stadiums.
                    BTW, I´ll try with all my forces find a way to travel to Mar Del Plata. Brazilians fans should be a biggest force there in any game, but against argentines.
                    Just don't get into a fight, man.
                    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

That would be really cool, but I doubt a lot of fans would do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by ¹²³ View Post
                        I don't think it would be too expensive for plane tickets. It's probably a long drive though, so casual sports fans won't be going. How long would it take from southern Brazil to Mar del Plata? More than a day?
                        "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair View Post
                          I don't think it would be too expensive for plane tickets. It's probably a long drive though, so casual sports fans won't be going. How long would it take from southern Brazil to Mar del Plata? More than a day?
                          By car, from my city São Paulo (the biggest in the country) to Mar del Plata it's a considerable distance, 2,611 km – about 1 day 7 hours, according to Google Maps.

The nearest capital, Porto Alegre is a bit closer, 1,727 km – about 20 hours 6 mins, Google Maps also told me.

But I bet there is already a few Brazilians living there and we usually have a good number of tourist in Buenos Aires, so maybe the Brazilian games could get a decent attendance.

Comment

Originally posted by ¹²³ View Post
                            There are enough brazilians residents and tourists there. I dont think that most of brazilians fans will be afficionateds. But I do think that about 100/200 crazy fans will traveled.

I do know 5 people who are traveling to Turkey, BTW...

Comment

There are enough brazilians residents and tourists there. I dont think that most of brazilians fans will be afficionateds. But I do think that about 100/200 crazy fans will traveled.

I do know 5 people who are traveling to Turkey, BTW...
                              Really cool. I wish I have the money.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information