37. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1-yes, totaly

19 51.35%
  • 2-no, i'ts OK

0 0%
  • 3-minor changes

18 48.65%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Tournament system in Eurobasket OK ?

Default Is Tournament system in Eurobasket OK ?

There was a lot of complaints (by NT coaches and leader, for example),
    that competition system is just too compressed and that all teams are tired
    and some players burned out.

Some say, that 2.nd stage grouping is not ok.
    Some say, that main final games are too close together.
    And that is also a reason, that we don't see beautiful games,
    like in 1st phase.
    There was a lot of player mistakes in final games...
    just too many for teams, that are best of the best in Europe.

Hm?

System is quite ok, schedule is bad. Don't know if it was mentioned in other threads, but I've read that from next Eurobasket there should be one more day for a rest between 2nd groups' stage and play-offs

Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    System is quite ok, schedule is bad. Don't know if it was mentioned in other threads, but I've read that from next Eurobasket there should be one more day for a rest between 2nd groups' stage and play-offs
    yes...i think too.

In would add some days in playoffs too.
    Every team should rest at least one day (or two) for every game.
    Schedule must be done like that.

It is ok for TVs and fans, with many games (9 per team reaching quarters) in 2 weeks (that is 0,65 games per day or almost 5 games every 7 days). That kind of schedule is not even in an intense championship like the NBA. If there were 3 weeks (9 games, 0.42 games per day alittle less than 1 game per 2 days), costs would increase a lot and may be a little more boring for fans.

To be fair, teams should get a similar schedule and been given at least 1 day to rest before a crucial match. Also, that long and meaningless group stage was quite boring and provoke strange and shameful situations (Greece-France) that are not really fun to watch (I don't want to see such a sad face in a player that has just hit a game winner and achieved first place in the group).

I woul like more a format like that:

1) Groups stage, with 4 groups of 5 teams (4 games per team). You get more teams, so you get more potential watchers and you give chances to more teams to qualify for next international championship.

2) 2 best of each group qualify to quarters. This may make games more interesting, because losing 2 games you could be out.

With this system, every team in the top 8 plays 7 games (that is 0.5 games/day), and the games removed are those meaningless from group stages.

You'll get a schedule like this:
    Days 1-8: Group stages (4 games in 8 days, playing only 2 games in consecutive days)
    Day 10: Quarters
    Day 12: Semis
    Day 14: Finals

I think this kind of schedule would be much fair and would make the tournament more interesting to watch.
    Last edited by Morente; 09-24-2009 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MirkoD View Post
    yes...i think too.

In would add some days in playoffs too.
    Every team should rest at least one day (or two) for every game.
    Schedule must be done like that.
    It'd be perfect if teams even in 1st group stage could play with one day rest. F.e. A+B goups plays one day, C+D other. It's not only for the teams freshness, but it'd be better for us as viewers too. 8 games in one day is too much, the schedule is overloaded, I can't see all the games I want. But since FIBA Europe with their partners seeks for less expanses, it's probably impossible

besides quaterfinals and 2nd round system evrything else is just the way it suposed to be. all quaters should be played in same day and group games so nobady is favorized. also turnament should be strached more for 2, 3 days so there will be more days for players to recover. And nonsense for extra qualifcation for one spot should be canceld. I'm prety sure they can make shedule to fill championship with 16 teams in one summer
    Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Kalashnikov

Some suggestions:
    1) Get a more challenging 1st group phase. What is the deal with only 1 team being eliminated at the 1st round?? Basically, everyone who is not participating just for fun will pass...

2) 2nd group stage is totally useless! With a proper 1st group stage, who needs a second one?

3) Yes, get some distance between QFs, SFs, and F matches.

My suggestion:
    1) 16 teams, split in 4 groups of 4. First 2 from each group go through.
    2) Go directly to QFs. Split teams in 2 groups (those who ranked 1st, and those who ranked 2nd) and make a draw. Those who ranked 1st may only play against those who ranked 2nd.

the rest is easy

I am ok with the system. More basketball wont hurt anybody Yeah as poster above me said schedule must be changed. All teams need equal time for the rest.
    UZEO SI TROFEJ MACVANE MACVANE MACVANE!!!

It's a matter of keeping viewers/fans interested. If games are not being played almost every day, then you lose viewers and that doesn't help Eurobasket or FIBA.

The system is good, but is a competition of short duration. Why not:

Group Phase (6 days):
    Day 1: A;B
    Day 2: C;D
    Day 3,4,5,6: equal

2nd Group Phase (to maintain):
    Day 7: E
    Day 8: F

Day 13: Rest

Quarter Finals:
    Day 14 and Day 15

Quarter Finals Losers:
    Day 16: Losers of Day 14 games
    Day 17: Losers of Day 15 games

Semi Finals:
    Day 16: Winners of Day 14 games
    Day 17: Winners of Day 15 games

5th to 8th places
    Day 18: 5th and 6th places
    Day 18: 7th and 8th places

Bronze medal game:
    Day 19: 3th and 4th places

Final:
    Day 19: Final

I agree with the 2nd group phase because that gives more competition time and more basketball...
    Bronze Medal - IBN 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Prediction Game

The system is ok as it is, but the players need more resting.
    Quote Originally Posted by ozziem View Post
    You really know basket well...
    Thanks ozziem.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalashnikov View Post
    Some suggestions:
    1) Get a more challenging 1st group phase. What is the deal with only 1 team being eliminated at the 1st round?? Basically, everyone who is not participating just for fun will pass...

2) 2nd group stage is totally useless! With a proper 1st group stage, who needs a second one?

3) Yes, get some distance between QFs, SFs, and F matches.

My suggestion:
    1) 16 teams, split in 4 groups of 4. First 2 from each group go through.
    2) Go directly to QFs. Split teams in 2 groups (those who ranked 1st, and those who ranked 2nd) and make a draw. Those who ranked 1st may only play against those who ranked 2nd.

the rest is easy
    I don't agree with the first point as groups in first phase are decided by draw and quality is very different from group to group...for example on this years Eurobasket 3 teams from 1st round group that included Spain, Slovenia, Serbia and Great Britain reached semifinals. If 2nd round groups are eliminated than you risk that one of great teams doesn't even qualify for WC...forget the semifinals and final...Eurobasket is also WC qualification...so there would be no Spain in 2nd round and no Spain in finals (+WC) on this years Eurobasket if you decided to not have 2 phase qulifying round.

The Schedule is just to damn brutal!

Playing 9 games in 12 days is out of this world and it is no wonder that so many players refuse to join their NT and rather rest. If we take into account that the domestic leagues start in a few weeks after such an intense competition it is just too much for a lot of players especially if they do it a few years in a row.

IMO FIBA should start the tournament earlier like 1st of sep. and finish on the 21th. Thats a solid 3 weeks of basketball. A lot more players would want to come to the eurobasket if the schedule was kinder because they wouldn't need half a season to recuperate after it and the risk to injury would be a lot smaller.

FIBA should really look up to FIFA and UEFA and see how they do it. Just forsome perspective in the Euro 2008 the teams that reached the final played 6 games in 20 days!

Senior Member Juan Carlos Nadal's Avatar

The whole idea of allowing some semifinalists an extra day of rest is retarded. It can mean the whole world. Could they not afford to add an extra day to the tournament so that both semifinalists can have at least one day of rest before facing each other?
    The Euroleague Organization and Mr Bertomeu are like the Bulgarian Government: corrupt, partially stupid, and a huge underestimator of people's intelligence.

Also, from a fan's standpoint, it can be a bit overwhelming. If you miss a day, then it's tough to catch up on the action. If you miss two, it's incredibly difficult, and if you miss three forget about it.

In addition to giving the players a breather, it might be nice to have a day to regroup, take stock, reflect on the previous round and then look ahead to the next match-up. I'm not suggesting 3 or 4 days between games, but one or two wouldn't hurt.

As with most FIBA tournaments, the group stages have too many games to eliminate not enough teams, and not enough reward for finishing high in the groups. Only the top three teams from each of the second round groups should advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Quote Originally Posted by Alyosha12 View Post
    The Schedule is just to damn brutal!

Playing 9 games in 12 days is out of this world and it is no wonder that so many players refuse to join their NT and rather rest. If we take into account that the domestic leagues start in a few weeks after such an intense competition it is just too much for a lot of players especially if they do it a few years in a row.

IMO FIBA should start the tournament earlier like 1st of sep. and finish on the 21th. Thats a solid 3 weeks of basketball. A lot more players would want to come to the eurobasket if the schedule was kinder because they wouldn't need half a season to recuperate after it and the risk to injury would be a lot smaller.

FIBA should really look up to FIFA and UEFA and see how they do it. Just forsome perspective in the Euro 2008 the teams that reached the final played 6 games in 20 days!
    Strongly agree and support that thinking !

In 2008 Euro Spain and Germany as a finalists
    played 6 games in pace almost 4 days / game.

Of course there was no 2nd stage...but with 3 more games
    and whole tournament schedule extended to that 3 weeks,
    that would be just ideal.

I disagree with idea to cancel 2nd stage games...there are more
    positive than negative things. We see a lot of basket and much
    more better comparision between the NTs.
    Winner must put much more effort to reach 1st.

Just compare this two schedules (Euro, Eurobasket):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2008
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EuroBasket_2009

There is one sport organisation, which just don't know how to do his job...
    which one, is crystal clear to me.

No need for 3 weeks. Start EC in weekend, Friday or Saturday - 2-3 extra days should be enough for everybody

Quote Originally Posted by LuDux View Post
    No need for 3 weeks. Start EC in weekend, Friday or Saturday - 2-3 extra days should be enough for everybody
    Just enough to survive sure, but why rush things so fast?
    There is no time to hype up every important game, so the tournament as a whole loses momentum. The 1/4 final games are trated as crap and teams who reach it are not rewarded at all where as making it to the 1/4 is a very big thing IMO. There is no build up in momentum and hype between the second stage the 1/4 and the 1/2 finals there should be more hype about it IMO. Like Freaknick said:

Quote Originally Posted by Freaknick
    it might be nice to have a day to regroup, take stock, reflect on the previous round and then look ahead to the next match-up
    You don't have time to just sit back and really grasp what your team has accomplished with reaching the 1/4 finals for example, there is no build up of anticipation.

The problem to make the tournament longer is also for the audience. There where not so many fans at the first stages and will be even less if the whole thing will be longer.
    Maybe the first stages should be taken from hosting country and made at home of one of the NTs at each group.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast