Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spain win eurobasket but not really full squad.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spain win eurobasket but not really full squad.

Hi , i heard some people saying that Spain won Eurobasket because was playing with full squad , ok i acept that we play with key players like Pau Navarro Rudy and Felipe but we had (like most of the countries who play eurobasket`09) some key players that wasn't in poland for diferent reasons.

Calderon , key guard
    Jimenez , key key small forward
    Fran Vazquez , key center

Not so important but good player

Sergi vidal , 2-3.

pd: and i accept that some countries like lithuania or Serbia had more key absences than spain.

Jimenez said bye to the national team.Vasquez haven't played for national team since 2005 if I am not wrong. Two players that you missed were Calderon and and Sergio. Other teams also missed tons of players too.
    UZEO SI TROFEJ MACVANE MACVANE MACVANE!!!

Comment

no they didn't have FULL roster,but spanish absentes were much fewer than others potential medal's contenders.
      "The worst part is wondering how you’ll find the strength tomorrow to go on doing what you did today and have been doing for much too long,where you’ll find the strength for all that stupid running around,those attempts to escape from crushing necessity,which always founder and serve only to convince you one more time that destiny is implacable,that every night will find you down and out,crushed by the dread of more and more sordid and insecure tomorrows.~Céline

Comment

Yes Spain didn't play with their full squad but other teams didn't play too.Here is some of absents from National Teams below.Look at there and compare the teams with Spain's absents.You will see absents of Calderon is not too important when you compare others.

Spain : Calderon,Vazquez,Jimenez
        Slovenia : Becirovic, Smodis, Nesterovic
        Greece : Papaloukas, Diamantidis, Tsartsaris
        Russia : Kirilenko, Holden
        Lithuania : Jasikevicius, Siskauskas
        Turkey : Mehmet Okur, Kerem Gönlüm, Kaya Peker
        Serbia : Rakocevic and some of NBA players
        Germany : Nowitzki
        Bulgaria : Jaaber
        England : Deng

These are the absents on my mind.Sorry if I forgot somebody
        Last edited by melizei; 09-23-2009, 09:02 PM.
        Turkish National Team in 2016

PG : Kenan Sipahi - Dogus Balbay - Kartal Özmızrak
        SG : Melih Mahmutoğlu - Furkan Korkmaz - Cedi Osman
        SF : Metecan Birsen - Okben Ulubay
        PF : Ersan Ilyasova - Ilkan Karaman - Furkan Aldemir
        C : Omer Asik - Enes Kanter - Emircan Kosut

Comment

Russia - Hryapa
          Slovenia - Beno Udrih (plus the injuries during the tournament)
          Greece - Vasilopoulos
          Lituania - Kaukinas, Machiauskas
          France - Joakim Noa and Pitrus (the other brother)
          My Youtube channel

Comment

..heheh viva españa hope they will beat
            team USA in turkey next year!!!!
            sigpicNEVER SAY DIE PILIPINAS!

Comment

Originally posted by rocketstar47 View Post
              ..heheh viva españa hope they will beat
              team USA in turkey next year!!!!
              Hehe I hope so too.

Comment

they will win ,if USA starts with -45.

Comment

Even if Spain plays with other players nothing is gonna change unless big men like Gasolo is not existing... So Results would have remained as it was..

Any Congrat. Spain you deserve it
                  Last edited by samer_1_2; 09-24-2009, 06:47 AM.

Comment

The only key player missing was Calderon who is supposed to be the starter PG... moreover Spain is full of talented PGs (Lopez and Cabezas would be starters for many teams in Europe!) that can replace Jose...

Comment

Slovenia:

Smodiš (no comment), B. Udrih (first play, similar importance to Slovenian NT as Calderon to Spanish), G. Dragić (injured in the EU, didn't play last 4 games), Ožbolt (huge team and defensive player, PG/SG), Bečirović (raining regular season Eurolegue MVP, SG), Milić (I bit older but still has springs and could be the veteran factor)... I probably missed some.

But the only ones we really need is healthy Smodiš, Bečirović, Dragić and B. Udrih.

I left Nesterović out because his intention to retire (so we knew we will not have him long time ago and we adjusted accordingly. Would like him back though nevertheless).

Prelđić would be great as well but he opted not to play because he wanted to play for Bosnian team. So I count him out as well.

Comment

Rakocevic,Vujanic,Stojakovic,Milicic,Pavlovic etc
                        UZEO SI TROFEJ MACVANE MACVANE MACVANE!!!

Comment

Who is Ožbolt btw? He was healthy last year, no?
                          Of course he is not close to what he would be without injuries, but I'm asking just if he would be available.

Anyway from looking in the roaster it seems that Jure Zdovc will continue dealing with injuries into the season.

Is there any explanation about why so many Slovenian players cannot stay healthy?
                          My Youtube channel

Comment

The players Spain lost didn't hurt the rotation of the team. Only Calderon is a valuable miss. Other players have been replaced by good quality players. It's not like Greece, for example, who lost several solid key players which undoubtably hurt their game.

Nevertheless, Spain is the best team. They have proven it the last four years.
                            PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Only Jiménez was a big absent. Ricky replaced Calderón and how much time would Vázquez play with Gasol's brothers?

With european stars, from 1/4 Final on Spain would have much more difficults, no doubt! Russia, Lithuania, Greece and Germany had big absents, but even with their main players, Spain would continue to be the main contender...

Russia: Holden, Kirilenko, Khryapa
                              Lithuania: Kaukenas, Jasikevicius, Siskauskas
                              Greece: Diamantidis, Papaloukas
                              Germany: Nowitzki, Kaman
                              Bronze Medal - IBN 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Prediction Game

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information