View Poll Results: Will you remember this Eurobasket in 10 years time

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes it was unforgetable

17 45.95%
  • No... was there really a Eurobasket 2009???

20 54.05%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will you remember this Eurobasket in 10 years time

Default Will you remember this Eurobasket in 10 years time

Ok, as the title says, here is the question. Will you remember this Eurobasket in 10 years time? For some reason I don't think that I will remember that much about this tournament.

1. No disrespect to Poland but the organisation of the games could have been better (half empty stadiums, not the best TV coverage IMHO, bad choice of music during games).
    2. Reduced strength teams, or at least most teams did not compete at full strength.
    3. No real competition for Spain for the gold but more of a competition for silver, bronze and qualification to Turkey from the rest of the teams.

On the other hand people can argue that Spain won its 1st ever Gold in Eurobasket, Serbia was reborn, same goes for Turkey too IMHO, Slovenia made it FINALLY past the 1/4 finals, team GB for showing a promising team even though they lost all 3 games.

What do you think guys and gals?
    Going to war over religion is basically killing one another to see who's got the better imaginary friend...

Spaniards, Serbs and Greeks will remember it. Slovenians also, because they made an important leap this year.

The rest will forget it.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

If I haven't gotten senile..I hope so!
    "The worst part is wondering how you’ll find the strength tomorrow to go on doing what you did today and have been doing for much too long,where you’ll find the strength for all that stupid running around,those attempts to escape from crushing necessity,which always founder and serve only to convince you one more time that destiny is implacable,that every night will find you down and out,crushed by the dread of more and more sordid and insecure tomorrows.~Céline

Quote Originally Posted by Victorious View Post
    Spaniards, Serbs and Greeks will remember it. Slovenians also, because they made an important leap this year.

The rest will forget it.
    Not sure what exactly is there to remember for Greece other than Sofo's performance which showed that he can be a reliable player for the future. Other than that, I cannot think of anything spectacular for Greece. The final is already fading away from my memory
    Going to war over religion is basically killing one another to see who's got the better imaginary friend...

I will remember for sure, I am Spanish

Quote Originally Posted by Victorious View Post

The rest will forget it.
    I'm afraid Lithuanians will remember it too.
    SCARIOLO GO HOME!!!

I think I will. Unpredictable results like never before, Lithuania doing their worst, Spain winning their first gold, a team of youngsters making it to the final, Greece claiming their first bronze, Slovenians ending up fourth, GB participating, loads of big time players missing, etc. I sure will remember it.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

I will remeber the FYROM fans, Sofo's dunk against Tibor Pleiß where he almost broke the basket, De Colo's last shoot against Greece, Asik's disability to shoot freethrows and the fact that Greece won a bronze medal after more than 60 years.

Nothing to remember. Quality-wise this Eurobasket was one of the weakest I saw. Also Lithuania was poor. In 2001 we didn't make it to 1/4 and that EC is forgotten, the same goes with this one. Moreover 2011 is coming, that one won't be forgotten one way or another

Organization of this Eurobasket was done very poorly. Almost every team complained about it.Hopefully Lithuania will do better job in 2011 .
    UZEO SI TROFEJ MACVANE MACVANE MACVANE!!!

I will not remember this Eurobasket for the average level of the games,nothing special, i will remember this championship like the consecration of Pau Gasol as one of the best european players ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Srle View Post
    Organization of this Eurobasket was done very poorly. Almost every team complained about it.Hopefully Lithuania will do better job in 2011 .
    At least we already know from now that the stadium will be full in every game with Basketball mad Lithuanians which can only be good

Senior Member Captain CAAAVEMAAAAANNN!!'s Avatar

I think there were many memorable games in this tournament, full of clutch plays and drama. I enyoyed watching Turkey-Greece, Serbia-Slovenia, Slovenia-Greece and many more. And of course the Spanish play that was beautiful.

But I barely remember Eurobasket 1999 so I guess ten years is too much. In ten years we will only remember that the Spanish crushed all the teams on route to the gold and that there was a black Greek player that was so huge he could only play 20 minutes per game max.

Unfortunately we will forget Lorbek beutiful movements and the Turkish team teamwork and Ronny Turiaf hustle. We won't remember Teodosic overtime threes or GB heroic comeback against Spain. It's a pitty but that's life and at least we enjoyed it live.

If Great Britain manged to knocked out Spain out of competition it would have been very memorable And they were very close.

If Great Britain manged to knocked out Spain out of competition it would have been very memorable And they were very close.
    lol, True and then the Spanish would remember it as their Gran Bretańazo which would be more painful than their Angolazo back in 1992.

But hey, they won and they got gold with ease after that

Senior Member Captain CAAAVEMAAAAANNN!!'s Avatar

Not that close, if you ask me. GB was ahead only one minute in the whole match and when the Spanish increased the defensive intensity after the rain of 3 pointers from the Brits, GB struggled mightly to score and at the end they lost by ten points.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain CAAAVEMAAAAANNN!! View Post
    Not that close, if you ask me. GB was ahead only one minute in the whole match and when the Spanish increased the defensive intensity after the rain of 3 pointers from the Brits, GB struggled mightly to score and at the end they lost by ten points.
    They had all momentum at that time and time was running out but Spain showed Great Britain who is the boss

I think that was one of the best Eurobasket ever.Because teams were in same level and results were not predictable.Any team could win against any team.That makes a difference between other Eurobaskets.
    Turkish National Team in 2016

PG : Kenan Sipahi - Dogus Balbay - Kartal Özmızrak
    SG : Melih Mahmutoğlu - Furkan Korkmaz - Cedi Osman
    SF : Metecan Birsen - Okben Ulubay
    PF : Ersan Ilyasova - Ilkan Karaman - Furkan Aldemir
    C : Omer Asik - Enes Kanter - Emircan Kosut

Quote Originally Posted by melizei View Post
    I think that was one of the best Eurobasket ever.Because teams were in same level and results were not predictable.Any team could win against any team.That makes a difference between other Eurobaskets.
    That is true, but the general level was low. So all of that happened but on a low note.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

I'd like to say I wont forget a thing... but already can't remember half of it due to svyturys, tyskie and okocim

organisation is not entirely a matter of Poles, but mostly Fiba... all games are still half empty due to the fact one ticket is meant for two games, while they could raise the criteria for organising eurobasket "a bit" - all from TV coverage, stadium capacity, towns selected... my worst fear would be eurobasket played in Slovenia with games played in 5000 capacity arenas, potentially 10.000 people standing outside without a ticket

quality of games wasn't as special as in some previous tournaments imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

After this Eurobasket Fiba introduced some new requirements like the capacity of 4-5 star hotels in host cities. I guess this pretty much sums up how happy Fiba was with polish effort.
    Last edited by pablonis; 09-23-2009 at 04:55 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast