Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for the serbian posters

Hi there

During yesterday´s serbian national anthem I noticed that some players did a three finger salute and others not ,what does it mean? is it some kind of serbian nationalist salute?

Regards

Originally posted by ESPARTACO View Post
    Hi there

During yesterday´s serbian national anthem I noticed that some players did a three finger salute and others not ,what does it mean? is it some kind of serbian nationalist salute?

Regards

http://diymuscle.com/ebay3/3fingerstee.jpg
    3 fingers mean In the name of the God, Son and the Holly Ghoast...Some Serbs use that as national symbol...
    https://twitter.com/AirAvangarda

Comment

The three-finger salute is almost exclusively used by ethnic Serbs. It had often been used as a nationalist sign before and during the Yugoslav wars and was often flashed by Serbian soldiers during military operations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-f...lute_(Serbian)
      Last edited by rikhardur; 09-21-2009, 06:56 PM.

Comment

I thought it was an Orthodox Christian salute, but in fact I only saw Serbs doing it.
        Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
        Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
          I thought it was an Orthodox Christian salute, but in fact I only saw Serbs doing it.
          rikhardur,

In fact both parts of the sentece are accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
            Thats half the truth. The Orthodox Christian Salute is three fingers merged together. This is a cooler improvisation but it actually has no official meaning
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbia_...asketball_team

Comment

Thanks to all for the replies,so I guess this salute´s political implications ,hasn´t it? in that case does it means that the players that didn´t do the salute when the anthem was playing aren´t nationalist or have slovenian,croat,bosnian roots?

Regards

Comment

Don't think that any of Serbian players are nationalist. Btw, three fingers is originally a christian salute, but used only by Serbians,because it was "invented" only some 15-20 years ago, just before the war. To be honest, it started as nationalistic salute, but nowadays it truly became the christian-orthodox salute for Serbs. Maybe that's why some players don't show three fingers- they are simply atheists.

Comment

Originally posted by ESPARTACO View Post
                  Thanks to all for the replies,so I guess this salute´s political implications ,hasn´t it? in that case does it means that the players that didn´t do the salute when the anthem was playing aren´t nationalist or have slovenian,croat,bosnian roots?

Regards
                  Its a patriotic salute! All of the players are Serbs!
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbia_...asketball_team

Comment

no all the players do it when the anthem is on but its a national salute that every serb does whether they are watching sport at church, out in the city clubbing, with friends and yeh its a national symbol.
                    SERBIA THE LAND OF BASKETBALL
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by milic17 View Post
                      no all the players do it when the anthem is on but its a national salute that every serb does whether they are watching sport at church, out in the city clubbing, with friends and yeh its a national symbol.
                      how far from the truth can you be?

Comment

They also kiss three times like as a greeting, which we also do often in Greece...
                        Originally posted by ozziem
                        You really know basket well...
                        Thanks ozziem.

Comment

Majstorex dont tell me about my people i know better because i am serbian how far from the truth are you.... stop about this lets talk about basketball!
                          SERBIA THE LAND OF BASKETBALL
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mysh View Post
                            They also kiss three times like as a greeting, which we also do often in Greece...
                            I thought we kiss 2 times not 3 lol

Interesting.
                            From an academic point of view,it's expected almost,that this fairly new serbian national symbol was to be born during a war time and that it is rooted also on religion.
                            "The worst part is wondering how you’ll find the strength tomorrow to go on doing what you did today and have been doing for much too long,where you’ll find the strength for all that stupid running around,those attempts to escape from crushing necessity,which always founder and serve only to convince you one more time that destiny is implacable,that every night will find you down and out,crushed by the dread of more and more sordid and insecure tomorrows.~Céline

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information