Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eurobasket teams VS Euroleague teams

Quote Originally Posted by Victorious View Post
    I'm talking about this Eurobasket. And the players you' ve mentioned belonged to winning teams of the Eurobasket. In any case, Saras, Diamantidis, Spanoulis, Pekovic, Batiste, Nicholas, Fotsis, Tepic, Tsartsaris coached by Obradovic would give the above teams a good run for their money. Gasol is the difference of these teams.
    Definitely they would. BTW, IMHO Gasol is not that big factor as people seems to see him. Spain is great when their guards run as hell and they shoot well and find him well. It's just that this Eurobasket was out of teams that could give them a good fight at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Morente View Post
    I don't agree at all.

First of all, I think Spain would demolish every Euroleague team. They are so talented and have Pau Gasol, that would dominate almost every team.

Also I would say, add a healthy Pau Gasol to any Euroleague top team, and I think that team would dominate as well...

Also, remove Pau gasol from Spain and they would be on a similar level than the Euroleague top teams.

And when I say Pau Gasol I can say any major star from the NBA. Not good role players as Rudy, Turkoglu, Okur..., I am talking about real stars like Nowitzki, Gasol, Bryant...

In some sense I agree with you, a national team with no superstars would be at best on the same level where top Euroleague teams are.

Call Turkoglu and Okur whatever you want. You can call them stars or very good role players, but they are definitely on a higher level than Fernandez, especially Turkoglu...

Quote Originally Posted by Morente View Post
    I don't agree at all.

First of all, I think Spain would demolish every Euroleague team. They are so talented and have Pau Gasol, that would dominate almost every team.

Also I would say, add a healthy Pau Gasol to any Euroleague top team, and I think that team would dominate as well...

Also, remove Pau gasol from Spain and they would be on a similar level than the Euroleague top teams.

And when I say Pau Gasol I can say any major star from the NBA. Not good role players as Rudy, Turkoglu, Okur..., I am talking about real stars like Nowitzki, Gasol, Bryant...

In some sense I agree with you, a national team with no superstars would be at best on the same level where top Euroleague teams are.
    I would really like to see Pau against Peković,even Milicic:I am not so sure he would dominate.Pau is a great player but he is not neither he will ever be the best center in the world.Thats for sure.

Lakers without Kobe and with Pau on roster would not be a very serious NBA team.Certainly not the title contender.

Turkoglu is definitely a star.He proved so this year with Orlando.

Quote Originally Posted by mark123 View Post
    Lakers without Kobe and with Pau on roster would not be a very serious NBA team.Certainly not the title contender.
    You can say the same for any NBA team without their best player.

Quote Originally Posted by FIBA Europe Basket View Post
    I disagree. Overall I think the EuroBasket is stronger. Granted a team like PAO would probably beat the Spanish national team, but you can't just go by the level of the teams at the top. The Euroleague becomes a lot more predictable I think where you can almost pick the final four correctly before each season. Much harder to do that in the EuroBasket.
    Last 3 Eurobaskets, 9 different teams made it to the final four.
    Last 3 Euroleagues, 8 different teams made it to the final four
    Quote Originally Posted by FIBA Europe Basket View Post
    No one dominates in the Euroleague. And that would include Kobe and anyone else. It's not like the NBA where one player has 90% of all calls on offense just for him.
    Maccabi, CSKA and Panathinaikos never dominated Euroleague NEVER. It is a myth.

Anyway, I think the most direct and realistic comparison can be made through Panathinaikos-Greece NT

Both teams have 3 players in common. Spanoulis, Perperoglou, Fotsis and if you add Calathes 4.

Panathinaikos won the Euroleague with a 12 men squad and Greek NT won the bronze medal with just 3-4 of those 12.

If we replace some or all Greece NT players with the likes of Saras, Pekovic, Batiste, Nicholas, Diamantides etc I think Greece would do much better. Not neccesarily beat Spain (I think Spain would beat PAO in fact) but make the final and put up a hard fight.

Damn, add only Diamantides and Tsartsaris and you get yourself a better team in any case.

Therefore I vote Euroleague>Eurobasket.
    Last edited by ArkadiosV2; 09-21-2009 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by parso View Post
    Gomelsky doesn't know @@@@ about basketball
    Quote Originally Posted by sseppel View Post
    it's not asking too much for someone to know where the fuck he is.
    Quote Originally Posted by UMUT_FB_LAL View Post
    Scola makes me wanna touch myself, no homo

Funny, France only lost one game and they came up 5th.U shouldn't have beaten the Greeks .Thow u didn't play Slovenia or Serbia.

Quote Originally Posted by mark123 View Post
    Very true. But, do you remember where Kobe and the lakers were before Pau arrived? After Shaq left LA, Kobe and the lakers were unable to reach the second round in the Play offs.

On the other hand, Turkoglu and Okur are much better players than Fernßndez.

Quote Originally Posted by Point_Guard View Post
    Very true. But, do you remember where Kobe and the lakers were before Pau arrived? After Shaq left LA, Kobe and the lakers were unable to reach the second round in the Play offs.
    Don't make up facts. Lakers never played in playoffs that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Victorious View Post
    I'm talking about this Eurobasket. And the players you' ve mentioned belonged to winning teams of the Eurobasket. In any case, Saras, Diamantidis, Spanoulis, Pekovic, Batiste, Nicholas, Fotsis, Tepic, Tsartsaris coached by Obradovic would give the above teams a good run for their money. Gasol is the difference of these teams.
    Yep but is only money, nothing more nothing less.
    If tomorrow Niarxos wake up and makes a life changing decision to buy, lets say Panionios, within two years top, Panionios would win the Euroleague and by 2020 would be the biggest team ever in Europe playing in front of 20.000 people in every game.....No matter what, Turkey or Greece NT cant do that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    GERA ELLADARA MOU!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by son_of_a_Turk View Post
    Call Turkoglu and Okur whatever you want. You can call them stars or very good role players, but they are definitely on a higher level than Fernandez, especially Turkoglu...
    of course okur and turkoglu higher level than fernandez they are really nba star,fernandez who knows him nba? yes in europa extrmely star but not still nba

Quote Originally Posted by warface View Post
    of course okur and turkoglu higher level than fernandez they are really nba star,fernandez who knows him nba? yes in europa extrmely star but not still nba
    He holds the record for most made threepoints as rookie.

Let's compare their stats in their 1st NBA season:

Rudy: 25 mpg, 10.4 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 2 apg
    Hedo:17 mpg, 5.3 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 1 apg
    Okur: 19 mpg, 6.9 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 1 apg

We can clearly see that Okur and Hedo are much better. In fact, why does Rudy even play basketball? After watching Okur and Hedo playing he sohuld retire due to shame.

But only in NBA, because in Eurobaskets they are his bitches

Quote Originally Posted by ArkadiosV2 View Post

We can clearly see that Okur and Hedo are much better. In fact, why does Rudy even play basketball? After watching Okur and Hedo playing he sohuld retire due to shame.

yes rudy can develop himself , he has potential really , who knows we will see next but itsnt easy up like them

Quote Originally Posted by ArkadiosV2 View Post

What a comparison! Hedo was in NBA when he was 21 and Rudy when he was 23. Plus, even when Hedo was very young, you could see that he was extremely talented and unique. He could turn into a potential all-star and he is an all-star level player in NBA.
    But, from whatever aspect you look at Fernandez, you will see that he can be just a very good role player. He won't be anything more than that. He's just not talented enough.
    And if you looked at Okur when he was 23 or 24, you could see that he could be a very special player. He was giving that impression to others and he became an all-star.

Fernandez can never be a go-to-guy for a NBA finalist team, but Hedo was. Ilyasova is more like Fernandez than Hedo or Okur. He will be a very good SF/PF, but he is just not going to be a creative, fundamentally sound player, just like Fernandez and unlike Hedo-Okur.

Senior Member Captain CAAAVEMAAAAANNN!!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by son_of_a_Turk View Post
    Hedo was in NBA when he was 21 and Rudy when he was 23. Plus, even when Hedo was very young, you could see that he was extremely talented and unique.
    what are you talking about, Turkoglu was a nobody when he came to the NBA. When Rudy left Europe he was already the best european shooting guard. And it took 5 years to Turkoglu to surpass what Rudy did in his first year.

The Eurobasket did see some messy games but yet again these players do not spend whole seasons together as Euroleague players do. This would be an important factor when comparing these 2, as in Euroleague there is a greater chance for team chemistry to improve over the season whilst NT players need to quickly adjust and fill their rolls in Eurobasket.

Therefore in my opinion Euroleague > Eurobasket.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain CAAAVEMAAAAANNN!! View Post
    what are you talking about, Turkoglu was a nobody when he came to the NBA. When Rudy left Europe he was already the best european shooting guard. And it took 5 years to Turkoglu to surpass what Rudy did in his first year.

Ok. First of all, Turkoglu was playing for Sacremento. SG/SF/PF positions were full of experienced players, unlike Portland Blazers. That's why Hedo didn't play 30+ minutes there. Still though, on his second year, Hedo averaged 10.1pts, 4.5rebs, 2assts, when was just 22. And that happened in a title-contender team... Plus that happened in an era, where there wasn't many European players and many of them were just doing terrible in NBA except the likes of Stojakovic, Divac etc... Right now, it's easier to adapt to NBA and NBA has accepted the European players.

Plus, I don't think Rudy is anywhere near what Turkoglu has: fundamentally sound, extremely good ball-handler, can create his own shots, can shoot 3s well, giving size to a team when playing SG/SF. What does Rudy do other than shooting 3s and scoring on fast breaks? Sorry but Rudy dribbles the ball like freaking Ímer Onan, as if somebody is chasing him every single second

Senior Member Captain CAAAVEMAAAAANNN!!'s Avatar

You either never watched the guys play or you are just writing random absurdity to get on my nerves.

Plus, I don't think Turkoglu is anywhere near what Rudy has: fundamentally sound, extremely good ball-handler, can create his own shots, can shoot 3s well. What does Turkoglu do other than shooting 3s? Sorry but Tukoglu dribbles the ball like freaking Ímer Onan, as if somebody is chasing him every single second
    FIXED

Son_of_a Turk is right though.I hadn't noticed before how poor of a ballhandler Rudy is.Most of the times he tried to put the ball on the floor it led to mistakes.Explains why he's mostly a 3 point shooter in NBA.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast