Why didnt Slovenia get a medal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elaj View Post
    MAJSTOREX and everyone else. If you don't know the background about Vujačić and Slovenian NT please don't talk. Let's say I know the background very good. Be quiet. He is history for Slovenia.

I am not afraid for WC in Turkey, add healthy Beno, Dragić and Smodiš, maybe Bečirović in this team and you have a medal contender with this kind of passion and attitude they showed in Poland.
    well tell us then what is the reason Slovenija doesnt have the NBA players Vujačič, and Nesterovič in the team. Why are you holdin the goods for yourself, while we wonder in the dark? tell us please

Comment

Originally posted by MAJSTOREX View Post
      well tell us then what is the reason Slovenija doesnt have the NBA players Vujačič, and Nesterovič in the team. Why are you holdin the goods for yourself, while we wonder in the dark? enlight us please
      If federation and current NT coaching staff would want to flame with Vujačić they would, believe me, but they don't want dirty laundry in media. I won't mention it here, although in previous posts I did. Zdovc had very good reasons, believe me (not those mentioned in media). Vujačić is history and he shouldn't be even mentioned in context of Slovenian NT.

Rašo is retired. He gave it all he had for this NT and I thank him. He is 34 years old, has a young family, does not live in Slovenia (mostly Toronto and Belgrade, like few weeks, maybe a month in Ljubljana) and wants some rest.

Comment

Agree with you elaj. And its probably best not to say why Rašo retired i guess?

Comment

Originally posted by ArkadiosV2
          If this Slovenia had Prelzdic and Begic they could win a medal.
          Preldzic wants to play for Bosnia ( I think Tanjevic has something to do with this)
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbia_...asketball_team

Comment

Because at the end cause of injuries and withdrawals Zdovc had just 3 of 10 best Slovenian players available.

If Smodis, Nesterovic, Dragic, Becirovic, Vujacic, Beno Udrih and Milic were all here i have no doubt Slovenia would get silver medal and made the finals interesting atleast.
            My blog about european hoops http://insidehoops.blog.com

Comment

Zdovc should be praised for his guidance of the Slovene team not many people had faith in him and i certainly was not expecting Slovenia to do so well i knew they had excellent players but what they achieved at this Eurobasket should be remembered and all the best in future tournaments
              SERBIA THE LAND OF BASKETBALL
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fastbreak View Post
                1993 16 Eurobasket 1993
                1995 12 Eurobasket 1995
                1997 14 Eurobasket 1997
                1999 10 Eurobasket 1999
                2001 15 Eurobasket 2001
                2003 10 Eurobasket 2003

These are your results after the independence...Be realistic, you didnt have quality before this generation.

edit: Croats played an important part in most of the teams. But its true to that most of the players were Serbs.
                Actually I was expecting a medal every time. Each time we have beaten at least one of the medal holders in the groups, but than choked in the decider, against objectively a much weaker opponent.

The reason why Vujačič is not playing is because he decided to fake an injury, because the physical preparations were too tough for him.

Comment

The answer to the OP question is because he got injured:

The video starts after 15 seconds so be patient...NOTE also this is not the semi-final game its the game in the preliminary round!
                  My homage to The heroes:
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOFlzU14Ivs

Comment

First I want to say that from speaking with a lot of fans from different countries Slovenia was the favorite team of almost everybody who is there not for his NT but just for basketball.
                    I hope that the older players will have chance to play again in the NT and hopefully this generation will eventually win a medal that it deserve, and especially Lakovic who played heroicly IMO and eventually was the tragic hero again.
                    After loosing Beno just before the games loosing Dragic was too much. You just cannot have one guy only who can bring the ball to the half-court on the team play him 40 minutes in 5 games in 7 days and expect him to keep his level on offense and defense.

It is impossible to be prepared for anything that happens and in such short-time tournament the chances of so many injuries are not that high, so I wouldn't blame Zdovc for anything. It was really an extremely bad luck.
                    My Youtube channel

Comment

Originally posted by ip84 View Post
                      First I want to say that from speaking with a lot of fans from different countries Slovenia was the favorite team of almost everybody who is there not for his NT but just for basketball.
                      I hope that the older players will have chance to play again in the NT and hopefully this generation will eventually win a medal that it deserve, and especially Lakovic who played heroicly IMO and eventually was the tragic hero again.
                      After loosing Beno just before the games loosing Dragic was too much. You just cannot have one guy only who can bring the ball to the half-court on the team play him 40 minutes in 5 games in 7 days and expect him to keep his level on offense and defense.

It is impossible to be prepared for anything that happens and in such short-time tournament the chances of so many injuries are not that high, so I wouldn't blame Zdovc for anything. It was really an extremely bad luck.
                      We agree. Zdovc is a fantastic coach.
                      Originally posted by ozziem
                      You really know basket well...
                      Thanks ozziem.

Comment

Originally posted by pohani komarac View Post
                        Actualy that was because Serbia had bigest talent base and 2nd was Crotians with also big numer of players and important roles and few coaches. Impruvment of Slovenian is mostly conected with coach Zmago Sagadin who scouted and developed most of this players, and also he was one of the most important of puting good fundamentals in organization, young coaches etc.
                        Cuz we were best in basketball, serbia and hrvatska in time of yugo, i think we should share all medals from eu champ and world champ , that would be fair, and finally to get rid of name yugo , cuz winners will be or srbija or hrvatska.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MAJSTOREX View Post
                          well tell us then what is the reason Slovenija doesnt have the NBA players Vujačič, and Nesterovič in the team. Why are you holdin the goods for yourself, while we wonder in the dark? tell us please
                          And Dragic there r all ethnic Serbs, sad but true
                          sigpic

Comment

I think Slovenia has the best offensive players in Europe (with injured players and full squad) Lakovic,Lorbek,Nachbar,Smodis,Becirovic..... If you put any of them into a Euroleague team,they will be one of the best offensive option for this teams.You have very good offensive players but you haven't got really "team" players.That is the problem.While saying "team" player I meant who makes everything(tough defense,steal,block,passing,fighting...) in match without seeming.If you had some,you could get a medal.
                            Turkish National Team in 2016

PG : Kenan Sipahi - Dogus Balbay - Kartal Özmızrak
                            SG : Melih Mahmutoğlu - Furkan Korkmaz - Cedi Osman
                            SF : Metecan Birsen - Okben Ulubay
                            PF : Ersan Ilyasova - Ilkan Karaman - Furkan Aldemir
                            C : Omer Asik - Enes Kanter - Emircan Kosut

Comment

Originally posted by Nemanja89 View Post
                              Why is that sad. Is being a Serb a bad thing. I˙m not sur about Rašo, but Saša and Goran have Slovenian mothers and were born and lived in Slovenia, untill their careers led them elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemanja89 View Post
                                i agree...why should that be sad ?

some good roots and a lot of slovene work mentality,
                                and basket stars are born

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information