X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tournament Debriefing: TURKEY

An astonishing start...

A terrible finish...

We beat both the finalists, Spain and Serbia. I really don't know how we lost that great momentum and started losing games after games. 5 wins in a row and then 4 losses in a row.

Turkey is a very interesting team. If you look at the last 2 games, we blew 15 point leads against France and Russia. From this, I think these losses are psychological. Starting the games so good, and blowing them in the 3rd quarters... I think these can be the result of either psychological problems or exhaustion of the players. Slovenia, and Greece games were so close. I think, there is an inside scorer problem. Also, the leader Türkoğlu is not playing the way a leader should play. I just think that he shines in NBA and European/World Championship games are just not suitable for him. I see some forwards or guards of other teams attacking at the defenses like noone else. Why doesn't Hedo attack the defense with his 2.08 agile length and with his great ball-handling skills? He sure can be way more effective than any other player in this tournament when he attacks at the basket. Why does he force shots?

I don't know what our path is going to be now for Turkey 2010. Are we going to stick with some of our idiots, like Erden, Atsür, Hersek, Savaş or are we bringing back Türkcan, Okur, Gönlüm, Peker, Erdoğan? What does Semih Erden do other than moving like a tall tree on the court? How do we make Aşık a reliable solid defensive-minded center who can also hit free throws and who has some post moves? Will Tunçeri and Arslan perform good in Turkey 2010, as they did in Poland? Is it time to replace Onan with Güler?

I do think we showed a bit potential but I don't know how we can reach that potential. It looks like there is a lot of work to be done for Tanjevic this year. What are some ideas?

Poland2009 convinced me to winning turkey2010. But it will be very hard to stop Spain and The USA.I hope It will be unforgettable tournament like eurobasket2001 and Champions League final 2005 in Istanbul. We will see.

Comment

The roster I would like to see next summer:

Tunçeri / Arslan
      Erdoğan / Onan / Güler
      Türkoğlu
      İlyasova / Gönlüm / Kanter
      Aşık / Okur / Peker

But obviously roster is not the main concern for the Turkish NT. A new coach would be an encouraging start. But apparently that's out of question.

Then the key is to continue the toughness and hassle on defense and add that an offense that is more defined, schematic and patient which tries to maximize the strengths of players like Türkoğlu, Okur and Erdoğan and cover up their weaknesses.

In summary a more wisely executed offense would top my wishlist. Then Turkey might have a shot at a medal.

Comment

Originally posted by rind View Post
        The roster I would like to see next summer:

Tunçeri / Arslan
        Erdoğan / Onan / Güler
        Türkoğlu
        İlyasova / Gönlüm / Kanter
        Aşık / Okur / Peker
        I thınk the squad will be:
        Tunceri,Arslan
        Omer Onan,Sınan Guler,Kınsey(unfortunately )
        Hedo,Cenk Akyol
        Ersan,Oguz
        Memo,Omer Asık,Semih

Comment

Spain next year without Pau and Navarro. They decided to rest.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbia_...asketball_team

Comment

Originally posted by fastbreak View Post
            are you sure? It is verybad news for basketball fans in Turkey

Comment

Spain is a great team but hey! they need Pau and Navarro if they want the gold medal.

Comment

Originally posted by fastbreak View Post
                Highly unlikely

Comment

Serbia was the team that impressed me the most in this tournament and after that Turkey. I know that Turkey played poorly in the last two games and 8th position really doesn't justify its true performance this year. Lets be honest.... you lost to Slovenia and Greece by two points. If you won either of these games you would be having a completely different discussion right now. You could easily be in the semis.

Turkey was better than Greece in my opinion, but the only thing we were slightly better was winning games in the last few minutes. We lost two games that didnt really affect us that much, but won the two most important ones when the score was very close at the end. If Turkey perfects that aspect of their game, they will be able to go higher. Other than that, I wouldn't really change that many of your players. If you bring your NBA primadonas, you will just get some selfish players who don't care as much. Give a chance to your own guys playing in Turkey and Euro leagues and let them blend and get to know each other even better. The secret of Greece is that we don't really have any stars. What we have is chemistry and our guys have been playing together for years. Get that right and you are a serious contender for a medal next year.

All the best and c u in next years tournament. I am hoping of going to Istanbul to see some of the games next year (and hopefully destroy ozziems armchair, properly this time)
                  Going to war over religion is basically killing one another to see who's got the better imaginary friend...

Comment

I think that a really big issue in Turkey NT is how the coach feat Hedo in the team AS A TEAM PLAYER

Hedo is an extreamly good player with technik, fysical skills etc...

But in european basketball this doesnt say to mush ...its the solid team play that give the wins

Team like turkey and Greece can only stand with team play not with one mans show
                    UNDER HEAVY CONSTRACTION

Comment

I think maybe we should add Enes Kanter to the squad for 2010 instead of Barış Hersek. The dude is a freak. He is dominating as hell in junior tournaments. Just like Ilyasova... And if you are that good in junior tournaments, you'll most likely be a good or great player on the highest level, too... And I believe he is the guy that will be in our starting five for the next 12-15 years... Maybe, he won't get many minutes, but 2010 should be his warm up with the senior team...

After 2010, core players like Türkoğlu, Tunçeri, Okur, Peker, Gönlüm will all be around 30-33 and they might slowly consider retiring from the national team. And then, we will have to go through a major rebuilding process, which I don't think will be too hard. Arslan will have 3-4 years left, Aşık is just 23, Ilyasova is 22, Kanter is just 17. But we have to produce great perimeter young players, too. Arslan might give us 3-4 years of waiting time for the next PG, but what about SG and SF? We have to come up with the next Kutluay or Türkoğlu in 2-3 years... And I don't see any young players capable of that...

Comment

Originally posted by son_of_a_Turk View Post
                        I think maybe we should add Enes Kanter to the squad for 2010 instead of Barış Hersek. The dude is a freak. He is dominating as hell in junior tournaments. Just like Ilyasova... And if you are that good in junior tournaments, you'll most likely be a good or great player on the highest level, too... And I believe he is the guy that will be in our starting five for the next 12-15 years... Maybe, he won't get many minutes, but 2010 should be his warm up with the senior team...

After 2010, core players like Türkoğlu, Tunçeri and Okur will be 31 and they might slowly consider retiring from the national team. And then, we will have to go through a major rebuilding process, which I don't think will be too hard. Arslan will have 3-4 years left, Aşık is just 23, Ilyasova is 22, Kanter is just 17. But we have to produce great perimeter young players, too. Arslan might give us 3-4 years of waiting time for the next PG, but what about SG and SF? We have to come up with the next Kutluay or Türkoğlu in 2-3 years... And I don't see any young players capable of that...
                        I am hopeful about Cenk Akyol.He will play in Italy and he will have enough time to play.Also we have few "superkid" like Enes Kanter. Unfortunately majority of talented youngs are Center or PF.Safak Edge is really talented PG. He couldnt play on u18 all star but he achieved to enter to it. Anyway i think we cant win against the usa, spain, greece with these superkids. Memo hedo and Ilyasova should play with %100 for winning WC.It will be very hard but not impossible.
                        Last edited by ınvnceable; 09-21-2009, 08:57 AM.

Comment

For one I really like Asik. But his foul shooting is downright scary. That's a huge problem. Ilyasova is great but he is not a go to player or scorer. So he needs quite a bit of development if he is going to lead Turkey. I really don't know what to say about Hedo. Maybe he was just in a really bad slump or maybe he was very tired, etc. But he was awful the whole tournament.

This might sound strange but I think Turkey should consider playing next year without Hedo. The way their team played this year sans Hedo and the fact they would be at home, I think they could be really good. If Hedo can learn how to integrate himself Turkey could win a medal next year. But it seems if at age 30 he has not learned how to do this yet then it is doubtful he is going to ever learn how. Still, I expect Turkey will be really tough at home next year.
                          Last edited by FIBA Europe Basket; 09-21-2009, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cardenales View Post
                            Spain is a great team but hey! they need Pau and Navarro if they want the gold medal.
                            Without Pau and Navarro I would give Spain about a 25-33 percent chance of making it past the quarterfinals. And absolutely no chance of making it past the semifinals.

Comment

I was happy to see Turkey playing well but yet again falling when it mattered the most in the Quarter Finals...

Is Tanjevic going to be the coach at the WC 2010?
                              SERBIA THE LAND OF BASKETBALL
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information