Do the referees "protect" the stars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do the referees "protect" the stars?

This is going to be a controversial topic. Most say the referees are always too strict on Spanish opponents, while at the same time let minor Spanish fouls go unpunnished.

But to be honest the same thing has happened with all great players and to an extend great teams. For example I remember Petrovic's and Galis' opponents complaining a lot. In most cases their complains were justified.

The great Yugloslavia was also famous for falling into this category. It happened even in NBA with Mike Jordan. Anyone forgot the last final of the second three-peat Bulls vs. Utah Jazz? Surely, Karl Malone is still complaining quite rightly so...

So my question, do you think the referees are not adequately trained? In my opinion they are spoiling games by being overprotective on the big stars, which this time happen to be the Spainish players.

What do you think?
    Originally posted by ozziem
    You really know basket well...
    Thanks ozziem.

If there is such thing, Hedo Türkoğlu can not benefit from it, unfortunately.

Comment

Just look what Spaniards did to Teodosic and the refs gave nothing still...

Comment

Originally posted by Mysh View Post
        This is going to be a controversial topic. Most say the referees are always too strict on Spanish opponents, while at the same time let minor Spanish fouls go unpunnished.

But to be honest the same thing has happened with all great players and to an extend great teams. For example I remember Petrovic's and Galis' opponents complaining a lot. In most cases their complains were justified.

The great Yugloslavia was also famous for falling into this category. It happened even in NBA with Mike Jordan. Anyone forgot the last final of the second three-peat Bulls vs. Utah Jazz? Surely, Karl Malone is still complaining quite rightly so...

So my question, do you think the referees are not adequately trained? In my opinion they are spoiling games by being overprotective on the big stars, which this time happen to be the Spainish players.

What do you think?
        Yes they do. Very much to certain players and certain teams there is a special set of rules for the "star players" the "important teams".

Comment

Originally posted by LivingHitokiri View Post
          Just look what Spaniards did to Teodosic and the refs gave nothing still...
          Deffend him well has nothing to do with ref...

Comment

Turkey definitely doesn't benefit from any of those decisions "where it can go either way."

Spain and Greece benefit a lot from them.
            And then comes Serbia.

Am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by son_of_a_Turk View Post
              Turkey definitely doesn't benefit from any of those decisions "where it can go either way."

Spain and Greece benefit a lot from them.
              And then comes Serbia.

Am I wrong?
              Did you see that fault over lull in Turkey game?

Comment

Originally posted by achinet View Post
                Rubio is fouling players 10-15 times on every possession and the refs let him do it. It's so bad I almost can't watch Spain's games anymore.

Comment

Slapping someone's face apparently is not a foul...

Comment

Originally posted by FIBA Europe Basket View Post
                    Rubio is fouling players 10-15 times on every possession and the refs let him do it. It's so bad I almost can't watch Spain's games anymore.
                    Jajajaja, man he is deffending hard. Only that. He is good deffender, here and in his club

Comment

Originally posted by LivingHitokiri View Post
                      Slapping someone's face apparently is not a foul...
                      Yes tha one was fautl. The ref take that.

Comment

Did you see that fault over lull in Turkey game?

You mean the clear block?

Comment

Yes tha one was fautl. The ref take that.
                          the point is that the refs should give these fouls at once, not waiting fr the player to bleed in order for the foul to become convenient

Comment

And yes, i am very tired about this theme (again). Spain is playing the final. paying good, with large margin and someone open this thread to discredit Sapin. COME ON GUYS

Comment

Jajajaja, man he is deffending hard. Only that. He is good deffender, here and in his club
                              He's in for a rude awakening if he ever goes to the NBA. In the NBA if you make contact with a player on the perimeter you immediately get called for a foul. His 100% entire game of defense is simply fouling over and over on the perimeter and getting away with it.

He won't last more than 3 minutes a game before fouling out of he tried that in the NBA. I have a feeling he will be a huge bust in the NBA because of how he plays defense and how he is allowed to get away with it in Europe and FIBA ball. He won't be able to adjust to the NBA's defense rules by the time he gets there because he will be used to playing this way.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information