Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do the referees "protect" the stars?

As I had already written on another topic I am very disappointed with level of refs in last Eurobasket and Euroleague competitions.

Refs are becoming more and more ignorant of "small" countries and "no-star" players. On the other hand they are always chit-chatting with the stars and explaining them their decisions as they were in courthouse.

My biggest criticism goes to inconsistant criteria. Below U find my previous comment after the game Slovenia - Greece...but the intention of this post is not to complain about this specific game...I am commenting on refs quality in all important competitions that we saw in last few years.

What a moronic game.

But we saw a new basketball element that I didn't know could exist...camping in the paint

Sofo is a master of the art...still I am confused as I thought that there is a 3 sec violation in basketball game

We all saw what a great player Sofo is when he played against Spain and refs had a totally different criteria.

Not that we deserved a win today...I am just pissed off as refeereing as a whole is getting worse every year...there is no constant and clear criteria...always subjective decision by the refs trio how strict will they be calling defensive fouls, offensive fouls on pick'n'roll and 3sec violations...yesterday they whistled every contact in game Slovenia-Serbia...today they allowed full contact basketball under the rim...in such a competitive environment refs have too much influence IMO...and there are always spanish, greek, serbian and lithuanian refs in the final 4 games of the tournament...as that other countries don't have high quality refs?...why all this spanish (and sometimes greek and serbian) lobby?

Cmon...give us a clear criteria through all the tournament...how harsh will some decisions be called and how strict will refs be supervised...and not that every game is getting totally different criteria...that sometimes even changes throughout the game.

Leave basketball to players and coaches.

This problem is IMO even more visible in Euroleague...but that is already different topic.

Referee do protect stars... the extent of doing that is definately wrong... while for Rubio case i can't help but repeating once more, what I've been repeating for the past 3 years:
    He will definately be a great player, potentialy one of the "greats"... but with the treatment he is receiving and especially was receiving as 16 y.o. even I can effectively play 10-15 minutes in euroleague, as due to the physical nature of the game a 16-17 y.o. player can't survive in a "real man's game"... that's a prooven fact
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Patrick Baumann behind that.

Because theres more controversy officiating now than last decade

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
    Referee do protect stars... the extent of doing that is definately wrong... while for Rubio case i can't help but repeating once more, what I've been repeating for the past 3 years:
    He will definately be a great player, potentialy one of the "greats"... but with the treatment he is receiving and especially was receiving as 16 y.o. even I can effectively play 10-15 minutes in euroleague, as due to the physical nature of the game a 16-17 y.o. player can't survive in a "real man's game"... that's a prooven fact
    Exactly. Rubio is being given a different rule book by the refs. No one else can get away with what he is getting away with on defense with all the fouling he does.

Quote Originally Posted by FIBA Europe Basket View Post
    Exactly. Rubio is being given a different rule book by the refs. No one else can get away with what he is getting away with on defense with all the fouling he does.
    No, that is not true. He knows how defend hard (very hard) without make a fault. He is not usual eliminated becouse faults. Otherwise all the refs in ACB, EUROLEAGUE, FIBA CUP, SPANISH CUP, EUROBASKETS, OLYMPICS, JUNIORS COPETTITIOS are wrong (too many to be wrong, dont you think?).

FB Connect

I think it's phenomenon that happens everywhere but is most rampant in the NBA because they call every touch foul. And it becomes more glaring if you're a defender trying to guard Dwayne Wade, you'll find yourelf going to the bench very quickly.

7.03 Pietrus non existed faoul
    5.25 Gasol steps 2 times instead of steps 2 pt
    4.40Touriaf faoul against Navarro non existed 2 pt
    2.06 Gasol faoul instead of this the give it to Turiaf 2pt
    0.48 Reges 3 secviolation nothing
    0.47 Gasol goal foul (foul never existed)
    are these enough?

Spain -France no one bothered to watch the game and verify them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by achinet View Post
    No, that is not true. He knows how defend hard (very hard) without make a fault. He is not usual eliminated becouse faults. Otherwise all the refs in ACB, EUROLEAGUE, FIBA CUP, SPANISH CUP, EUROBASKETS, OLYMPICS, JUNIORS COPETTITIOS are wrong (too many to be wrong, dont you think?).
    They are not wrong, they are giving him a different and special treatment. They do it on purpose, not by mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by FIBA Europe Basket View Post
    They are not wrong, they are giving him a different and special treatment. They do it on purpose, not by mistake.
    Admit it, he ALWAYS has been a very good deffender, since he was 14. Leader in steals in Euroleague with 16. No one ref is going to trat special a teenager like him. He is simply a very good deffender... Or do you mean that Riky has worns his knees?

Quote Originally Posted by achinet View Post
    Admit it, he ALWAYS has been a very good deffender, since he was 14. Leader in steals in Euroleague with 16. No one ref is going to trat special a teenager like him. He is simply a very good deffender... Or do you mean that Riky has worns his knees?
    he might already be great defender, but there are no such things as great defenders on grown up level as euroleague/ACB at the age of 15-16 (personally let's say 18). talented defenders yes, efficient ones - no.

I could go with loads of examples of local "no names" abusing U18 NT players in defense, just because they were older (with a developed body being the difference) than them or unbelievable PG's that lack of size and muscles and will never make it. Due to sheer strenght 16 or 17 years old can't defend normaly in a man's game, there is too much of an contact, too many small illegal moves and too much factors where body mass plays a noticable role for that to happen.
    Rubio is no exception here. He might have extreme touch for positioning and space, great technics, footwork, can be a great athlete, can have a great timing (-> can be NBA leader in steals as far as I am concerned) and be allround perfect defender for his age... yet that's not enough when a guy posts up or cuts in breaking the youngster on two halves.

yes, although you can easily see Rubio is a great potential for defense, he gets away with some moves other don't. With time that kind of help won't be neccesary anymore, but he definately got loads of it in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123