Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tournament Debriefing: GREECE

nfo

Quote Originally Posted by FIBA Europe Basket View Post
    Pelekanos is a far better player than Zisis and Perperoglou
    pelekanos better than zisis and perperoglou ?

i believe that you r all very hard on zisis, perperoglou and spanoulis

As you propably have noticed in every single offence of the greek NT the ball passed through v-span at least once
    Additionally v-span was the target of all teams in defence and played >37 minutes while both covering PG position and leading score in every game.
    He must feel exhausted and i believe this might reflect on his PAO games this season.

Zisis has spent 2 years in CSKA without much of playing time. I agree that this tournament was his great opportunity to step up and he didn't.

As far as Perperoglou, he is improving every year under Obradovic and I expect from him to be better next year (don't forget where he was playing not many years ago). It is clear though that he is not "leader" material.

BIG SOFO: what can a man say about this wonder of nature. Let's hope this year won't be like 2006-07 after a promising WC. I must add though that his uncontrolled power should not be so hard called by the refs.
    Every touch is not a foul. It's not his fault that every other player than Shaq is too "soft" for him
    Don't forget the spaniards who were falling down "only touched by the air" coming when SOFO was just moving

Pappas and Papanikolaou should enter gradually in the NT in order to cover the time gap among generations along with Calathes and Koufos.

Last but not least don't everyone overlook the effect of the absence of 2 of the world's best PGs Papaloukas and 3D

With those 2 in good shape, Spanoulis and a BIG SOFO coming from a full season the greek NT has nothing to be afraid of next summer in Turkey

the team accomplished their goal ,so i think it was a successful tournament for Greece,this September we learn how to rebound next year i hope we will learn fast breaks.

man i hate the greek media, we won a medal and it seems like nothing happened. oh actually sth did happen, zagorakis threatens to resign and oly prepares for the game against aek. yes these news are more important...

Greece's performance wasn't bad! Greek NT wasn't better than Spain, Serbia or Slovenia, the other top 4 teams... You say that because Greece started in a very strong note and Spain, your main rival, started really bad, inclusive they were near the elimination against Great Britain. Without Diamantidis and Papaloukas, a medal is a good performance! Spanoulis (even disappeared on semis), Big Sofo, Printezis and Fotsis were the best performances of Greek NT in this EB...
    Last edited by Buzissa; 09-21-2009 at 11:20 AM.
    Bronze Medal - IBN 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Prediction Game

Quote Originally Posted by Costa AKA Visseira View Post
    Greece's performance wasn't debriefing! Greek NT wasn't better than Spain, Serbia or Slovenia, the other top 4 teams... You say that because Greece started in a very strong note and Spain, your main rival, started really bad, inclusive they were near the elimination against Great Britain. Without Diamantidis and Papaloukas, a medal is a good performance! Spanoulis (even disappeared on semis), Big Sofo, Printezis and Fotsis were the best performances of Greek NT in this EB...
    and debriefing means?...

Quote Originally Posted by qiangdade View Post
    and debriefing means?...
    Hahahaha! lol ! lol!

Greek NT debriefing

Greece got bronze due to:

1) Luck
    2) Refs
    3) Greek loby
    4) The unamed one
    5) Psicocology
    6) MIFS
    7) Did i mention greek loby? well Greek loby

Quote Originally Posted by qiangdade View Post
    and debriefing means?...
    My mistake! I wanted to say bad, I forgot to delete that word, which was part of another thought...
    Bronze Medal - IBN 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Prediction Game

Quote Originally Posted by obe31 View Post
    Hahahaha! lol ! lol!

Greek NT debriefing

1) Luck
    2) Refs
    3) Greek loby
    4) The unamed one
    5) Psicocology
    6) MIFS

My friend!!
    I see,you understand now basketball!

Here you deserve one turkish delight!

And 348,35 koudos!!!!!!!

it was a very successful tournament,far beyond my expectations.The positives to take from this,is Sofo's amazingly perfomance and Calathes' very positive signs indicative of a bright future.

oh,now they came back..and every politician went to steal some spotlight whatdoyaknow..
    "The worst part is wondering how you’ll find the strength tomorrow to go on doing what you did today and have been doing for much too long,where you’ll find the strength for all that stupid running around,those attempts to escape from crushing necessity,which always founder and serve only to convince you one more time that destiny is implacable,that every night will find you down and out,crushed by the dread of more and more sordid and insecure tomorrows.~Céline

Quote Originally Posted by Costa AKA Visseira View Post
    My mistake! I wanted to say bad, I forgot to delete that word, which was part of another thought...
    All for a good laugh mate..all for a good laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan View Post
    My friend!!
    I see,you understand now basketball!

Here you deserve one turkish delight!

And 348,35 koudos!!!!!!!

it was a very successful tournament,far beyond my expectations.The positives to take from this,is Sofo's amazingly perfomance and Calathes' very positive signs indicative of a bright future.

oh,now they came back..and every politician went to steal some spotlight whatdoyaknow..
    I prefer Syrian baklava if you ask me. If you ever visit Damascus try some...the best baklava ever

Quote Originally Posted by chrisfiss View Post
    man i hate the greek media, we won a medal and it seems like nothing happened. oh actually sth did happen, zagorakis threatens to resign and oly prepares for the game against aek. yes these news are more important...
    ..and i just checked the newspapers...just a small reference to basketball...whatever...

Quote Originally Posted by obe31 View Post
    Hahahaha! lol ! lol!

Greek NT debriefing

1) Luck
    2) Refs
    3) Greek loby
    4) The unamed one
    5) Psicocology
    6) MIFS

It was supposed to be MIGS...
    Quote Originally Posted by ozziem View Post
    You really know basket well...
    Thanks ozziem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysh View Post
    It was supposed to be MIGS...
    No, MILFS!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisfiss View Post
    ..and i just checked the newspapers...just a small reference to basketball...whatever...
    Our media are sleeping. People love basketball.
    Thanks ozziem.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Borisko View Post
    No, MILFS!
    ROFL! That one too!
    Thanks ozziem.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Borisko View Post
    No, MILFS!
    well done sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Mysh View Post
    Our media are sleeping. People love basketball.
    or maybe we are.. I bet more watched Oly-Paok than the final.
    "The worst part is wondering how you’ll find the strength tomorrow to go on doing what you did today and have been doing for much too long,where you’ll find the strength for all that stupid running around,those attempts to escape from crushing necessity,which always founder and serve only to convince you one more time that destiny is implacable,that every night will find you down and out,crushed by the dread of more and more sordid and insecure tomorrows.~Céline

Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan View Post
    well done sir!

Thank you,ma'am!

I agree with giangdade that Zisis was a disappointment. He just does not have any leadership or self-confidence. Made his shots when no one cared, disappeared or disappointed when he was needed.
    Another disappointment IMO was Perperoglu, who could not show that he was a better choice than Pelekanos or Vassilopolous. His moves lacked any focus and self-confidence, kept turning the ball over.
    Boroussis seemed to lack motivation after being benched in the third group game. Would have expected more from him, discussed way too much with the referees.
    Fotsis played a good Eurobasket, altough his shot wasn't falling he showed good rebounding and good defense. Calathes showed quite some potential. Was a better playmaker vs France than Spanoulis and during the first group stage showed some nice passes in pick and roll situations.
    All in all, Greece showed the same style of play and had the same problems as in the last two years. The offense was too repetitive and lacked creativity.
    "It's not about four guys working to get one player open and give the ball to him."- Ettore Messina

Sanchez, Ginobili, Basile, Kukoc, Sabonis

If you guys check the stats, Greece did amazingly well.

The only categories where we fall apart are 3pt shoots (%), assists and turnovers. We need a better playmaker (assists and TOs) and better 3pt shooters. The stats also show we have great potential and tallent (offense, defence, steals and rebounds), but we are still quite inexperienced (TOs).

So, the stats are:

• 1st at earning fouls with 32.8 average per game - how else can they stop Sofo?
    • 8th at committing fouls with 20,9 average!
      Pretty good there. The only top4 team which did better than Greece was Spain with 18,7 average. Germany, Serbia and Croatia did the most.
    • 2nd best at scoring with 75,9 average
      Damn good, especially if you consider how bad we are at TOs and how poor in assists. Spain was first here with 79,8 average points per game.
    • 5th at points allowed with 69,9.
      Greece defends well. Being 5th in defence, while you are 3rd at TOs is a miracle, considering how many easy points we gifted to our opponents.
    • 4th at 1pt shoots (71,5%)
    • 3rd at 2pt shoots (53,0%)
    • 10th at 3pt shoots (32,8%)
    • 2nd at defensive rebounds with 25.8 average
    • 2nd at offensive rebounds with 11.4 average
    • 1st at total rebounds with 37.2
    • 9th at assists with 12.8
      This is due to the lack of a classic PG in our squad. First was Spain with 17.3! Serbia and France were 3rd and 4th. Greece needs to find more easy shoots.
    • 2nd at steals with 7.7 average
    • 3rd at turnovers with 14.2 average
      Again the lack of a classic PG! The other two teams, which topped Greece were Lithuania and Germany. Slovenia did the least turnovers. It's a shame for a top4 team to do so many miskates. We are only killing ourselves!
    • 9th at blocking with 2.2 average.
      We are average here, the only good blockers we have are Koufos and Fotsis. We don't have a classic blocker, but blocking is not so important in basketball. It's good for the fans though. So, nothing really alarming here.

To conclude Greece excels in things like offense, defence, rebounds and steals. At the same time, we commit many mistakes (3rd) and appear to be poor in assists (9th), while we shoot poorly behind the arc (10th)!

Fixing these three would be the key to success for our next tourney.
    Last edited by Mysh; 09-21-2009 at 01:46 PM.
    Thanks ozziem.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nfo View Post
    pelekanos better than zisis and perperoglou ?

i believe that you r all very hard on zisis, perperoglou and spanoulis

As you propably have noticed in every single offence of the greek NT the ball passed through v-span at least once
    Additionally v-span was the target of all teams in defence and played >37 minutes while both covering PG position and leading score in every game.
    He must feel exhausted and i believe this might reflect on his PAO games this season.

Zisis has spent 2 years in CSKA without much of playing time. I agree that this tournament was his great opportunity to step up and he didn't.

As far as Perperoglou, he is improving every year under Obradovic and I expect from him to be better next year (don't forget where he was playing not many years ago). It is clear though that he is not "leader" material.

BIG SOFO: what can a man say about this wonder of nature. Let's hope this year won't be like 2006-07 after a promising WC. I must add though that his uncontrolled power should not be so hard called by the refs.
    Every touch is not a foul. It's not his fault that every other player than Shaq is too "soft" for him
    Don't forget the spaniards who were falling down "only touched by the air" coming when SOFO was just moving

Pappas and Papanikolaou should enter gradually in the NT in order to cover the time gap among generations along with Calathes and Koufos.

Last but not least don't everyone overlook the effect of the absence of 2 of the world's best PGs Papaloukas and 3D

With those 2 in good shape, Spanoulis and a BIG SOFO coming from a full season the greek NT has nothing to be afraid of next summer in Turkey
    Spanoulis was the second best player in the tournament. Just ignore these "Greek fans" comments on him. They are clearly personally biased and have some sort of personal agenda against him.

As for Pelekanos-Zisis-Perperoglou. Absolutely Pelekanos is much better than them. I believe he was not invited to the team because Kazlauskas does not know him. And as far as not playing in Olympiacos, well see Teodosic for exhibit A on the greatness of Giannakis to evaluate his players.

Basically, I expect a huge year from Pelekanos at Maroussi if he stays healthy and Kazlauskas will see his value. And unlike Giannakis I believe he would play him on the team instead of just bench him. Pelekanos is a really great player he's just never gotten a good chance with the right team and coach. He was playing in small clubs like Peristeri or he was getting benched by coaches that have strange ideas about players in Real and in Olympiacos.

But I do believe he will finally get a good chance at Maroussi and also he will play in the Euroleague or Eurocup and he should certainly be the star of that team. He is the exact kind of player that a coach like Kazluaskas could use. Yes, I think he is way better than Zisis and Perperoglou to be honest about it. Although to be fair Zisis is better than Greeks say. He is a very skilled and smart player and his fundamentals are excellent. It's just that he developed into a player that has no position. He is not a combo guard, not really a point guard, and although he plays as a pure shooting guard and his skills are of a true shooting guard - and although he has a pure shot, sweet stroke and unlimited range, he has the most inconsistent jump shot ever. I would guess that what happened to him was the Messina simply ruined him by destroying his confidence. That's what happens if you choose to play for Messina. You either become much better or your confidence is destroyed.

Greece needs a dynamic swingman badly and definitely Pelekanos could fill that role.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast