Jamaica national team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JaBA Shooting For NBA Stars

Ajani Williams, president of the Jamaica Basketball Association (JaBA), said his administration will begin talks with a number National Basketball Association (NBA) players who have expressed interest in representing Jamaica at this year's FIBA World Championship final-round qualifiers at the end of the month.

Williams said his organisation will be holding talks with point guard Ben Gordon of Charlotte Bobcats, Indiana Pacers centre Roy Hibbert and André Drummond of Detroit Pistons.

"We are going to make our best effort to get these players and then we will see how well things pan out," said Williams.

"I think one of the good things is that all of these players will be surrounded by NBA and local staff. We will have a NBA team trainer and a former NBA coach and an international doctor," Williams said.

"It will almost be like a mini NBA team. I think these are the most important things for us to have if we are going to pull it off," he said.

The JaBA boss added that the acquisition of these players would be a major boost for the national team, which is set to face the likes of Spain, Argentina and Brazil in the FIBA World Championships qualifiers, which will be played in the final week of August.

"Andre Drummond is a fantastic player and we will be going out to get him. We have watched tapes of him talking about Jamaica, and his mother is a Jamaican. I know that he loves his rice and peas," Williams said.

"However, I think we have a better chance of getting Roy because he has played for us before. He was registered with us. He has limited options of playing for the USA so I hope we can get him to play for us this year," Williams said.

"Ben Gordon is an excellent point guard and we definitely need a point guard of his calibre going into this tournament in August," he stated.

Jamaica, coached by former Boston Celtics head coach, Sam Vincent, are due to play against Ukraine, Israel and Canada in a four-team warm-up tournament in Canada from August 9-12.
    -Jamaica Gleaner

I wonder if Hibbert is still interested in suiting up for Jamaica. Last summer, Hibbert called out JaBA to be released so he can try out for Team USA. While Ben Gordon is an interesting case: England's lost could be Jamaica's gain if Gordon sorts out priorities during the summer.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Only one of the trio is eligible to play for Jamaica under FIBA regulations. I would try to get Hibbert back, if he dont want to, maybe Drummond, although they need to get the waiver from the US Basketball Federation first. Ben Gordon is not really a help...

I from Wisconsin!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

Comment

A lot of name dropping lately, lets see who will be suiting up in the end and who is eligible to play under FIBA rules. http://www.basket4us.com/blog/2013/0...caa-88989.html

Count out Dylan (School) and Tyler Ennis (Canada NT) and Kyle Anderson (School). Ryan Hollins played for the U-18 US, Thompson for the U-19 Canada, Drummond U-17 US, Gordon U-18 US, Bennett U-17 Canada. Durand Scott and Toney Douglas could be added, but probably only as naturalized players.
        Last edited by Mojado; 05-31-2013, 07:50 AM.

I from Wisconsin!

Comment

Roy Hibbert won't suit up for the national team in the Americas this year.
          Sacramento Kings

Comment

Hollins commits to Jamaica:

I from Wisconsin!

Comment

No news about Jamaica NtlTeam?
              Originally Posted by -K2- View Post
              16 free throws in the last 4 minutes...
              Puerto Rico had 20 the whole game

Seriosuly... someone quote this whole post and signature me... Greek Loby Rulz
              8/29/2010...THE DAY WE GOT ROBBED!

Comment

Next week they will be in Toronto to scrimmage with Canada. I think they have three games in total lined up against Canada.
                Sacramento Kings

Comment

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
                  Next week they will be in Toronto to scrimmage with Canada. I think they have three games in total lined up against Canada.
                  But where is the squad?
                  Originally Posted by -K2- View Post
                  16 free throws in the last 4 minutes...
                  Puerto Rico had 20 the whole game

Seriosuly... someone quote this whole post and signature me... Greek Loby Rulz
                  8/29/2010...THE DAY WE GOT ROBBED!

Comment

Among the local based players are Linford Brown and Adrian Forbes of Spanish Town Spartans, Michael Rogers of St. Georges Slayers and Christopher Walker of Pembroke Hall.

Meanwhile Samardo Samuels and Jerome Jordan headline the overseas based players in the squad.

They are joined by Patrick Ewing junior, Akeem Scott from New York, Dillon Ennis of Villanova University, Durand Scott of Miami University along with European based players Garfield Blair, Weyinmi Rose and Adrian Uter.
                    Originally posted by Fedfan
                    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
                    Originally posted by GuTO
                    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Jamaican basketball team to play two warm up games against Canada
                      Jamaica’s senior men’s basketball team will leave the island today for a two-game practice series against Canada in Toronto.

The team dubbed the JamRockerZ, will be without the services of a trio of top players, Ryan Hollins, Patrick Ewing Jnr and Jerome Jordan but still includes former Muschett high star Samardo Samuels who recently signed with Italian outfit Armani Milano to play in the Euroleague.

The 11-member squad also includes Weyinmi Rose, Adrian Uter, Akeem Scott, Durand Scott, Garfield Blair, Dyland Ennis and is further completed by four local based players Christopher Walker, Michael Rogers, Lynford Brown and Adrian Forbes.

The games against their Canadian counterparts will take place on Thursday and Saturday at the American Airlines Centre.

The team is scheduled to return on Sunday and will continue camp in Montego Bay before leaving for Venezuela where they participate in the FIBA Americas Championship.

The Jamaican team qualified for the Americas tournament after finishing third at last year’s Centro-Basket tournament in Puerto Rico.

They have been drawn in Group A alongside Uruguay, Canada, Puerto Rico, and Brazil.

The top four teams at the Americas tournament will advance to the 2014 FIBA World Basketball Championships in France

Comment

Roy Hibbert admits that it is no longer possible to suit up for Team USA.
                        Sacramento Kings

Comment

Working...
                        X

Debug Information