• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaica national team

They are looking at Roy Hibbert, maybe Patrick Ewing Jr:

Originally posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Originally posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Thanks for the article.

Comment

It's about time for Jamaica to make it's move in the basketball world!!! With its great athletic heritage, it's but natural that they should also excel in basketball.

Roy Hibbert

Jerome Jordan

Patrick Ewing, Jr.

Samardo Samuels

I have read articles that Ben Gordon has Jamaican parents, too. And he hasn't made up his mind yet if he will represent his country of birth, Great Britain. Maybe the Jamaican federation can convince him, too.

Comment

Jamaica is another of those Caribbean nations that could put together a very decent team if it manages to get all its globetrotters at once, and also having many migrants to the US obviously helps. I think they could become a reasonable regional power in the next few years, and 've heard the Federation is sending many young kids to US colleges for their development.

Comment

Ewing Jr. to play for Jamaica

Patrick Ewing Jr., son of NBA superstar Patrick Ewing, will reportedly represent Jamaica in international competition. Before being waived because of a serious MCL sprain, Ewing was averaging 16.8 points and 8.9 rebounds per game for the Reno Bighorns of the D-League.

While Aljani Williams, president of the Jamaica Amateur Basketball association, was filing papers that would allow Roy Hibbert to represent Jamaica, he was informed that Ewing was also interested in representing Jamaica. According to the vice-president of Ewing's agency, Ewing's knee injury will not be a concern:

"He is playing full contact basketball and is in very good shape and will most likely be signing a full NBA contract this summer with one of a number of teams that have expressed interest, and should be back in the NBA by the start of the 2010/2011 season."

Ewing's first international games for Jamaica would be in the Centro Basketball Tournament, which begins on July 5th.

Ewing was born in Boston, but his father is a native of Jamaica. It's good to see players who probably wouldn't make the U.S. National team helping out basketball in other countries and getting some international experience themselves.
          Find all the latest NBA news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

Comment

cool, it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Comment

That's fantastic news. I have never have a problem with children who want to represent their parent's country. Plus, anything that makes an Americas team stronger is fine with me.
              "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Jamaica is the original Belize, having been disqualified from Centrobasket in 1996. If they show up with too good a team, will they get the Belize treatment again?
                Originally posted by Fedfan
                Most ppl get childish when they lose.
                Originally posted by GuTO
                refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Did Ewing Sr. play for Jamaica?
                  aim low, score high

Comment

Originally posted by sinobball View Post
                    Did Ewing Sr. play for Jamaica?
                    No. I think his family moved to the US when he was a teenager.
                    Originally posted by JGX
                    Jamaica is the original Belize, having been disqualified from Centrobasket in 1996. If they show up with too good a team, will they get the Belize treatment again?
                    I don't know anything about that. Can you tell me something?
                    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Originally posted by Butata View Post
                      It's about time for Jamaica to make it's move in the basketball world!!! With its great athletic heritage, it's but natural that they should also excel in basketball.

Roy Hibbert

Jerome Jordan

Patrick Ewing, Jr.

Samardo Samuels

I have read articles that Ben Gordon has Jamaican parents, too. And he hasn't made up his mind yet if he will represent his country of birth, Great Britain. Maybe the Jamaican federation can convince him, too.
                      I think Ron Artest and Aron Afflalo are also of Jamaican descent too.

Comment

If Jamaica can find a decent point guard, with a frontcourt of Samuels, Ewing, Jr. and Hibbert, their team would be formidable and have a promising future. As alermac suggested, there are plenty of players of Jamaican descent playing in the US and Canada on the high school and college level, so the talent is out there; it just has to be found.

I've always wondered why Jamaica lagged behind other Caribbean countries (Puerto Rico, Virgin Is., Cuba, and the Dominican Rep.) when they probably have more upside athletically than any other country in the region. My own personal belief is that a number of reasons have prevented the island country from becoming a major power...

1) Being a relatively poor country, indoor sports facilities on the tiny island are at a premium (I'm not talking about gyms, but professional-grade indoor arenas), so opportunities to participate in basketball in a structured, professional environment are limited. For the same reason, other indoor sports such as volleyball and handball also haven't taken ahold.

2) Because Jamaica's former status as a British colony, much of its team sports culture was imported from Britain, thus the popularity of cricket and soccer over more popular North American team sports like basketball. With some exceptions like Australia, New Zealand and Canada, countries of Britain's former/current commonwealth territories tend to lean towards British invented sports.

3) Climate, yes climate. Because of the tropic nature of Jamaica's weather (temps during the summer can easily reach +100 F/+37 C) outdoor activities and recreation are probably more valued than indoor activities. Certainly, basketball can be played both outside or indoors, but by necessity, on a professional, organized level, it has to played in a sterile environment with no interference from weather elements like heat, wind, dust etc. It makes it difficult to properly organize the sport if weather conditions make it preferable to play outdoors in the absence of professional indoor facilities.

4) Basketball, like soccer in the US, has a reputation among some as being a girl's sport, mainly because of the popularity of the off-shoot sport netball among Jamaican school girls. Though attitudes are changing, because of basketball's stigma as an demasculine sport (netball with a backboard), it's development on the island has been slow.
                        Last edited by Federoy; 03-09-2010, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Federoy View Post
                          If Jamaica can find a decent point guard, with a frontcourt of Samuels, Ewing, Jr. and Hibbert, their team would be formidable and have a promising future. As alermac suggested, there are plenty of players of Jamaican descent playing in the US and Canada on the high school and college level, so the talent is out there; it just has to be found.

I've always wondered why Jamaica lagged behind other Caribbean countries (Puerto Rico, Virgin Is., Cuba, and the Dominican Rep.) when they probably have more upside athletically than any other country in the region. My own personal belief is that a number of reasons have prevented the island country from becoming a major power...

1) Being a relatively poor country, indoor sports facilities on the tiny island are at a premium (I'm not talking about gyms, but professional-grade indoor arenas), so opportunities to participate in basketball in a structured, professional level are limited. For the same reason, other indoor sports such as volleyball and handball also haven't taken ahold.

2) Because Jamaica's former status as a British colony, much of its team sports culture was imported from Britain, thus the popularity of cricket and soccer over more popular North American team sports like basketball. With some exceptions like Australia, New Zealand and Canada, countries of Britain's former/current commonwealth territories tend to lean towards British invented sports.

3) Climate, yes climate. Because of the tropic nature of Jamaica's weather (temps during the summer can easily reach +100 F/+37 C) outdoor activities and recreation are probably more valued than indoor activities. Certainly, basketball can be played both outside or indoors, but by necessity, on a professional, organized level, it has to played in a sterile environment with no interference from weather elements like heat, wind, dust etc. It makes it difficult to properly organize the sport if weather conditions make it preferable to play outdoors in the absense of professional indoor facilities.

4) Basketball, like soccer in the US, has a reputation among some as being a girl's sport, mainly because of the popularity of the off-shoot sport netball among Jamaican school girls. Though attitudes are changing, because of basketball's stigma as an demasculine sport (netball with a backboard), it's development on the island has been slow.
                          thanks ,that what nice of you to share this
                          www.nigeriabasketball.blogspot.com
                          www.nigeriabasket.blogspot.com
                          www.nigerianbasket.blogspot.com

Comment

Potentially a very strong and athletic front court.

Roy Hibbert
                            Jerome Jordan
                            Kimani FFriend
                            Samardo Samuels
                            Patrick Ewing Jr.

About the point guard position, jamaïcan federation should contact former Olimpija Ljubljana and Red Star Belgrade player, Maurice Bailey (185, 1981). He is from jamaïcan descent.

Comment

JAM - Jamaica hopes to have Roy Hibbert for Centrobasket:
                              6/28/2010

SANTO DOMINGO (2010 Centrobasket Championship) - Jamaica hopes to have Indiana Pacers center, Roy Hibbert, for the 2010 Centrobasket Championship to be played from July 5-11 in the Dominican Republic.

Hibbert is a 7-2 center who averaged 11.7 points, 5.7 rebounds, 2 assists and 1.6 blocks in 81 games this year for the Pacers.

They will also have Samardo Samuels who played for Louisville University.

The team also features Akeem Scott, Andre Smith, Damion Staple, Garfield Blair, Garfield Johns, Justin Leith, Ronald Yates, Terrell Christie, Weyinmi Efejuku and Kimani Ffriend.

Jamaica is in Group A along with the British Virgin Islands, Dominican Republic, Panama and US Virgin Islands. Group B has Belize, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Mexico and Trinidad & Tobago.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information