Going forward: Americas at WC 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going forward: Americas at WC 2010

Don't know if this is more appropriate here, or in the WC room. So feel free to move if necessary.

What are your expectations of the Americas qualifiers in Turkey next year?

Now we know USA will be aiming for Gold, and Argentina will be shooting for at least a medal (might be their last hurrah for this generation), but what about the other teams?

Brazil is most interesting to me in that they won the Americas the year before the last WC and had a dismal outing.

Puerto Rico was slightly better but nothing to write home about.

Canada hasn't even been on the world stage since 2002.

So what do you think is in store for these teams. Who makes roster changes, who stays pat, and who, if any of them, makes an impact next year?
    Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Dominican Republic has alot of potential...they just need the chemistry to flow together...Flores/Garcia is a deadly backcourt...Villanueva/Horford can both dominate...these guys just need to develop a chemistry together...DR can be as good as PR or Brasil...IMO.

Brasil is what they were suppose to be finally...they really mature and you could see it if you started following them back in 2003-2004...guys like Varejao, Barbosa, Splitter just take turns playing the leadership role and really have matured their games completely...Brasil doesn't play selfish basketball and can really step it up defensively now, something they weren't great at.

PR needs to get their youth experience, chemistry and development...we aren't going to get anybetter than we are now...we should focus on the future and not waste talent on the bench.

Comment

Assuming all teams are complete next year:

-Argentina will go for a medal again.

-Brazil is finally ready to jump into the quarterfinals, and try to sneak into the semis. A very deep and physical team, that may need an extra point guard but finallt has a coach that can make this work.

-Puerto Rico should be a quarterfinals team if they manage to control Arroyo, add Barea and get a better grip in close games.

-The Dominicans will be a wildcard; but the addition of Ariza, the experience of this tournament and a bit more of chemistry would turn them into a definite Top 16 team who would have a serious shot into the quarterfinals.

-And the same goes for Canada, because of their unpredictability, but if Nash agrees to join, this is a very likely quarterfinals team.

Comment

USA--have to see the team but obviously gold medal contenders.

Argentina--semifinal contenders if they have their full team, but what are the chances of that? Someone will probably be hurt. Team is a little old to win the tournament IMO.

Brazil--should make the second round--they drew the group of death last time--but I am not at all convinced of their ability to beat good European teams.

Puerto Rico--second round

Canada--second round if they get a favorable draw. If Nash played that would obviously change things but I haven't seen anything to indicate that he's interested. Maybe they could offer him player/coach

Dominican--50/50 chance of getting the wildcard, if they do, they are probably second round at best. With an extra year together they could improve, but the fact is that last year with Horford and Garcia they lost to the USVI and this year with Villanueva and Flores added they couldn't beat any of the top teams at the Americas. Their losses were close but so were their wins. Opponents shot a very high percentage on three-pointers which might be bad luck or bad defense.
        Originally posted by Fedfan
        Most ppl get childish when they lose.
        Originally posted by GuTO
        refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

With Nene back on the squad (and a 8 men rotation) we can make it to the quarter finals. But our chances of fighting for something else will depend on the draw.

USA and Argentina are contenders.

Comment

I don't believe that the dominicans will get one of the wild cards.

The situation is starting to get complicated.

Italia will be one of the invited countries for sure. Lithuania has lost their 2 first matches in the euro 2009 and will probaly have to win all the games on the 2nd round to make their way to the 1/4 finals. And that means to beat Spain, Serbia and Slovenia.

Another european important team, maybe more than one, such as Germany, Serbia or Russia, will stay out. So we have at least 3 wild cards set.

And once we already have 5 teams qualified, our 5 more important teams, i'm afraid that FIBA offers the last wild card to some Asian team for economic reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by guilherme.rcf View Post
              I don't believe that the dominicans will get one of the wild cards.

The situation is starting to get complicated.

Italia will be one of the invited countries for sure. Lithuania has lost their 2 first matches in the euro 2009 and will probaly have to win all the games on the 2nd round to make their way to the 1/4 finals. And that means to beat Spain, Serbia and Slovenia.

Another european important team, maybe more than one, such as Germany, Serbia or Russia, will stay out. So we have at least 3 wild cards set.

And once we already have 5 teams qualified, our 5 more important teams, i'm afraid that FIBA offers the last wild card to some Asian team for economic reasons.
              One nitpick Italy can't get a wild card as the criteria state you have to play in your regional championship to be eligible. So unless FIBA wants to prove once and for all they're corrupt Italy's staying home next year.
              Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
                One nitpick Italy can't get a wild card as the criteria state you have to play in your regional championship to be eligible. So unless FIBA wants to prove once and for all they're corrupt Italy's staying home next year.
                It doesn't clearly say that you have to have played in the final stage of your regional championship though--the qualifying rounds are still part of Eurobasket. I suspect the rule is there just to prevent a top team from assuming they'll get a wild card and not even bothering to enter their regional tournament.

In any case, It would be a big surprise if Europe didn't get three wildcards.
                Originally posted by Fedfan
                Most ppl get childish when they lose.
                Originally posted by GuTO
                refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Canada most likeley will make it to the Round of 16. I think that they'll rely on matchup though to get to the quarters. U.S.A is a favourite for gold. Brazil and Puerto Rico should make it to the quarters as should Argentinal and Argentina may be able to make it into the semis.

Destination Turkey 2010

Comment

Puerto Rico > Argentina honestly.

I rank it as

USA
                    Brasil
                    PR
                    Argentina

Comment

Originally posted by Flexo View Post
                      Puerto Rico > Argentina honestly.

I rank it as

USA
                      Brasil
                      PR
                      Argentina

I wish
                      USA most likely to play for gold
                      Argentina will be a contender
                      Brazil and PR will have good performances, not good enough for a medal but a respectable tournament for both teams.

The dominicans have it tough for a wildcard, but if they get one, they should advance to the second round, no more.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X

Debug Information