Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Acropolis tournament '2009 including GRE, RUS, SRB and LTU

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    I see things different. Lithuania will win this tournament if our guards will do at least a single thing, that what they are capable, just need time to pass the Spanish shock. I didn't see the whole last game of Serbia- Greece, but I saw the previous game. Greece depends on Spanoulis and Zisis completely. That's not a good idea. Zisis is not a stable shooter as well as Spanoulis tough currently he shows amazing shape (will it last for so long?). The 3 spot is weak and the 4,5 is only solid. Serbia looks very nice as a young team. Teodosic made an improvement, a lot of energy from all young players. Macvan might be a big surprise in this Eurobasket. And I don't talk about Russia, they didn't show their face yet and I doubt they will.
    I pretty much agree with you. If Liths has Sharas they could try for the gold. But I am not confident in their point guards at all. Not good enough IMO and I think it will cost them to fight for qualification spots maybe instead of medals. The rest of the team though is pretty strong other than point guard spots.

I also agree with you on Serbia and Greece and Russia. Teodosic is coming along and Macvan could help them get a low post scorer presence. They are going to be a pretty tough team at Euro. But still they lack a go to player, a main scorer and Tepic is not really a good enough point guard to me. He's excellent ball handler but not so much a real point guard.

Russia is showing nothing and looks to have no chance the way they are playing right now. They will need to play great defense in all games to get victories.

Greece is definitely a one man show (Spanoulis) and his sidekick (Zisis). It is something like the old days of Greece with Galis and Yiannakis and does not remind of the recent years when they were strong as a collective unit. Maybe the coaching change is part of that but who knows. Anyway, Spanoulis and Zisis are capable to carry them but like you say will it last? Too dangerous to rely on two players for every game because with just one bad game you can get eliminated.

I can't wait to see the next games to really know more about the 4 teams here.

Quote Originally Posted by FIBA Europe Basket View Post
    I pretty much agree with you. If Liths has Sharas they could try for the gold. But I am not confident in their point guards at all. Not good enough IMO and I think it will cost them to fight for qualification spots maybe instead of medals. The rest of the team though is pretty strong other than point guard spots.

I also agree with you on Serbia and Greece and Russia. Teodosic is coming along and Macvan could help them get a low post scorer presence. They are going to be a pretty tough team at Euro. But still they lack a go to player, a main scorer and Tepic is not really a good enough point guard to me. He's excellent ball handler but not so much a real point guard.

Russia is showing nothing and looks to have no chance the way they are playing right now. They will need to play great defense in all games to get victories.

Greece is definitely a one man show (Spanoulis) and his sidekick (Zisis). It is something like the old days of Greece with Galis and Yiannakis and does not remind of the recent years when they were strong as a collective unit. Maybe the coaching change is part of that but who knows. Anyway, Spanoulis and Zisis are capable to carry them but like you say will it last? Too dangerous to rely on two players for every game because with just one bad game you can get eliminated.

I can't wait to see the next games to really know more about the 4 teams here.
    I doubt they are many teams in Euro this year as strong as the Greeks in the paint with Bourousis, Sofo and Koufo.

Zisis is a very, very smart and very, very smooth and skilled basketball player. He's also very, very steady as a player. But he really dominates the ball and he does everything just in his own game. I think he's a pure shooting guard that just happens to be an outstanding ball handler and that rarely makes a mistake or turnover.

But his play creation for others is practically non existing.
    I don't agree at all. Zisis always looking for his teammates and know how to pass the ball (and actually this is why I like him since he played at Benetton Treviso)

Greece's guard rotation =

Spanoulis = ball hog, turnover machine, Greece's best scorer, Greece's best player

Calathes = ball hog, turnover machine, pretty poor player for this level at the current time, however very talented player obviously for age

Zisis = ball hogging, black hole on offense, yet he does not turn the ball over and also is a very good shooter

Bottom line for Greece is they need another guard to give them something if they expect to do anything. Calathes sure does not appear ready to contribute much. He is very good in bringing the ball up the court against pressure and also in pressure defense and getting steals and he seems to be able to run a fast break well and to be a nice passer and pick and roll player. That's all he can do. No jump shot, no one to one offense, no finishing ability, not very good play making, not very good play creation, and so on.

Greek guards of Spanoulis and Zisis with 5-10 minutes of ball handling from Calathes to give them a rest is enough for those roles, but not enough in total because Calathes won't produce much offense. So Greece looks to be lacking a fourth guard and in the past they always had those 4 guards to work with.

Sad thing is, Lithuania and Russia guard situation is much worse.
    i am wonder what PAO and CSKA saw on these players.so poor cases indeed but what Obradovic and Messina know to choose the correct player. ball hogs

just a correction : Zisis is not the scorer that greece will have.Because he scored in one or two games some points doesnt mean such a thing.Spanoulis is the best scorer Greece have.Greece doesnt depend on zissis for scoring.And i doubt that zissis will carry Greece all the way.The team has many players to score every night and eventually to continue in the tournament.Greece always was like that.team oriented.From gallis ages no greek had such a scoring charisma so the game was depending on the team or on defence.But if we talk about significant players ofcourse Spanoulis is a key as well sofo is another.Not zissis.Ofcourse he is someone that will help a lot Greece but has nothing to do with Gallis and Yannakis old days.For me the key is the SF position and the perimeter scoring.If Greece will solve (in a way cause there will be nights with the problem for sure) it or minimize it will go to the semis.So Perperoglou is another key
    Calathes needs development but its logical in his age and with his non experience in top level.I mean the wonderkid (not for me anymore without offence)Rubio doesnt have weaknesses?Cause i think he has a lot.

And by the way i cant remember many guards which are not ball hogs in this tournament...i mean with this criteria.Do you?
    Last edited by CG; 08-25-2009 at 03:21 PM.
    2nd in EUROLEAGUE IBN PREDICTION GAME 2016-2017
    2nd in EUROLEAGUE IBN PREDICTION GAME 2015-2016
    1st in EUROLEAGUE IBN PREDICTION GAME 2014-2015
    2nd in EUROLEAGUE IBN PREDICTION GAME 2013-2014
    2nd in EUROLEAGUE IBN PREDICTION GAME 2012-2013
    2nd in EUROLEAGUE IBN PREDICTION GAME 2010-2011
    3nd in EUROLEAGUE IBN PREDICTION GAME 2009-2010
    1st in EUROLEAGUE IBN PREDICTION GAME 2008-2009
    2nd in EUROLEAGUE IBN PREDICTION GAME 2007-2008

What do you guys think of the Lithuania-Serbia match? Is Lithuania really a heavy favorite here? Any predictions?

Quote Originally Posted by Sabz View Post
    What do you guys think of the Lithuania-Serbia match? Is Lithuania really a heavy favorite here? Any predictions?
    according to what i saw yesterday Serbia will win it

The lack of a true point guard and a quality shooting guard in our team is painfully obvious....

I just love the way Lithuanian bigs play. I mean all of them are strong go for every single rebound, take it strong to the hole and are not afraid of contact, and have a sweet stroke.

Spanoulis same thing, he has to be almost a one man show for Greece. Obviously he is the best player Greece has by quite a lot.
    Although I like most of your quotes, you are stating the above quite often and this is simply just wrong

Greece's best player is Bourousis and he is so much better than the rest of the team that if he doesn't play, Greece is just an average, unreliable team. A team of a different level

This Spanoulis statement might be more valid, if you state that he is the team's most important player. Once again, it is not completely true, but it is closer to the reality, simply because of Papaloukas' and (mainly) Diamantidis' absences. These guards are far superior to both Spanoulis and Zisis when it comes to organizing a game. And, yes, both the present team "leaders" are ball-hogs. Maybe this does make some sense, because of the absences and the lack of a truely creative SF (Perperoglou is more of a shooter), but it is more than annoying and predictable to have the two guards always looking for each other and not the rest of the team. They have been monopolising shots throughout the friendly games and this is going to cost Kazlauskas a lot in the tournament

A small ball case wouldn't be out of the question, as Calathes (with all his lack of experience, lack of Euroball knowledge, young age, instability etc) is a creative player and a trustworthy shooter who could run the point and create easy baskets for Spanoulis and Zisis. But, he is no Papaloukas or Diamantidis and so far, it doesn't look possible for all three of them to be on the floor at the same time. I am just curious, though. Shouldn't it be considered an option, since so far I haven't seen something working in the Greek perimeter?
    Sexuality when one reaches their 30s is either mainstream or sick, but no matter what, it isn't pure

Does anyone have the rebounding numbers for the game? I just wanna know how many off.rebounds Lithuania had

and Serbia won it by 78-70

Quote Originally Posted by Alyosha12 View Post
    Does anyone have the rebounding numbers for the game? I just wanna know how many off.rebounds Lithuania had
    Lithuania 18 off.reb (tot 46), Serbia 8 (tot 29)

http://www.galanissportsdata.com/bas...cro.asp?game=3

Quote Originally Posted by Alyosha12 View Post

Serbia finished with 21-8 and Lithuania with 28-18.

Our players shot really terrible today (2-26 three pointers if i'm not mistaken), though, all in all, i liked the gameplay especially our defense in the third and fourth quaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Migelitas View Post
    Lithuania 18 off.reb (tot 46), Serbia 8 (tot 29)

Damn you, by 1 minute.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wardjdim View Post
    Although I like most of your quotes, you are stating the above quite often and this is simply just wrong

Greece's best player is Bourousis and he is so much better than the rest of the team that if he doesn't play, Greece is just an average, unreliable team. A team of a different level

This Spanoulis statement might be more valid, if you state that he is the team's most important player. Once again, it is not completely true, but it is closer to the reality, simply because of Papaloukas' and (mainly) Diamantidis' absences. These guards are far superior to both Spanoulis and Zisis when it comes to organizing a game. And, yes, both the present team "leaders" are ball-hogs. Maybe this does make some sense, because of the absences and the lack of a truely creative SF (Perperoglou is more of a shooter), but it is more than annoying and predictable to have the two guards always looking for each other and not the rest of the team. They have been monopolising shots throughout the friendly games and this is going to cost Kazlauskas a lot in the tournament

A small ball case wouldn't be out of the question, as Calathes (with all his lack of experience, lack of Euroball knowledge, young age, instability etc) is a creative player and a trustworthy shooter who could run the point and create easy baskets for Spanoulis and Zisis. But, he is no Papaloukas or Diamantidis and so far, it doesn't look possible for all three of them to be on the floor at the same time. I am just curious, though. Shouldn't it be considered an option, since so far I haven't seen something working in the Greek perimeter?
    I agree that Zisis and Spanoulis are being ball hogs, however I disagree that Bourousis is the best player on Greece. Clearly, Spanoulis is Greece's best player and it seems others in the thread agree with that.

As far as Calathes goes I am not sure he is a reliable shooter as you say. His shot looks pretty flat and inconsistent. Your idea though of Greece playing 3 guards is definitely something that Kazlauskas should consider. Zisis would defend the opposing small forwards probably fairly decently. However if Greece did that Tsaldaris and Kalambokis would have to step in and contribute coming off the bench as backups at point guard and shooting guard and Kazlauskas seems to not even be playing them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AskWazzup View Post
    The lack of a true point guard and a quality shooting guard in our team is painfully obvious....
    Well I guess we know the result of no Rimas, Siskas, Sharas.

Wu-Tang

Quote Originally Posted by AskWazzup View Post
    Macijaushkas whereabouts nowadays? petrifying player.

Quote Originally Posted by Wu-Tang View Post
    Macijaushkas whereabouts nowadays? petrifying player.
    He could not attend due to legal problems with olympiacos (at least that's what i heard).

Terrible team rebounding today.We didn't adjust to Lithuanian awful shootingMan Lithuania lives and dyes with 3 point shooting.
    UZEO SI TROFEJ MACVANE MACVANE MACVANE!!!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast