Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Acropolis tournament '2009 including GRE, RUS, SRB and LTU

i think that Greece has the strongest pick n roll plays among all national teams.
    Spanoulis-Boroussis and Calathes-Shortsianitis are definetely different duos, which gives Greece's coach a wide variety of plays in offence.
    if he needs jumpshoting he would use Span-Boro, while he needs playing inside and physical he would pick Nick with Sofo. dont underestimate that fact, because pick n roll is still silent killer in basketball ( USA Dream Team knew something about that during Olympics'04, where Sofo was 'pick n roll killer' called by american nba experts).

I agree with you that they need to work a little before Eurobasket, cause sometimes their ball movement and decision making are on a low level, but dont remember that their frontcourt potential is truly amazing and even one player with foul trouble doesnt change it.

What about Serbia?
    Its easy to see that this team hasnt got any mental leader and no one is responsible to get the ball and be go-to-guy when team need it. moreover i notice that they have good team chemistry now, which was a great problem for few years. there arent players with star mentality so they dont arguing with themselves. Serbia have fabolous future but cant win anything when they dont know who is thei point guard, Tepic or Teodosic? oh god, its terrbile to watch them with ball and making plays for all team.

Spain is obviously main candidate for gold but Greece and less Serbia also could make suprise. I dont believe in Lithuana w/o Saras - you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhoger View Post
    i think that Greece has the strongest pick n roll plays among all national teams.
    Spanoulis-Boroussis and Calathes-Shortsianitis are definetely different duos, which gives Greece's coach a wide variety of plays in offence.
    if he needs jumpshoting he would use Span-Boro, while he needs playing inside and physical he would pick Nick with Sofo. dont underestimate that fact, because pick n roll is still silent killer in basketball ( USA Dream Team knew something about that during Olympics'04, where Sofo was 'pick n roll killer' called by american nba experts).

I agree with you that they need to work a little before Eurobasket, cause sometimes their ball movement and decision making are on a low level, but dont remember that their frontcourt potential is truly amazing and even one player with foul trouble doesnt change it.

What about Serbia?
    Its easy to see that this team hasnt got any mental leader and no one is responsible to get the ball and be go-to-guy when team need it. moreover i notice that they have good team chemistry now, which was a great problem for few years. there arent players with star mentality so they dont arguing with themselves. Serbia have fabolous future but cant win anything when they dont know who is thei point guard, Tepic or Teodosic? oh god, its terrbile to watch them with ball and making plays for all team.

Spain is obviously main candidate for gold but Greece and less Serbia also could make suprise. I dont believe in Lithuana w/o Saras - you are right.
    But Spanoulis is a ballhog and a Turnover Machine.

Quote Originally Posted by KWSN-Men View Post
    Serbia has a very good team, I have years to see them so good. The last two games are teaching the young Greek team how to rotate the ball. Their main strenght is their physical defence while are covering the lack of brilliance on offence with clever and simple TEAM bb. I believe Serbia would do well on the Euro. I want to see them tomorrow against the Liths to have a better judgment.
    Russia seems a total dis-organisation, I doubt they can make the top 6. Lithuania too looks very disorganised but the Liths know well how to put the ball into the basket and after all, that is what counts. I cant wait to see them against the Serbians and Greeks. It would be a good measurement for the real strenght of all three teams.
    I am not at all convinced by the Greek team yet. They keep having some 10 min every game that do play fab bb and Bourousis with Sofo play unstoppable bb, yet most of the time the whole team is battling with school-stuff mistakes. I must say though that I keep having the feeling when watching them that any min they would explode and destroy the opposition. I hope they reach the final against Spain and play that exploding bb on the day because I REALLY DONT WANT THE SPANISH TO TAKE THE GOLD

Quote Originally Posted by sashikas View Post
    The reffs in the fourth quater are somewhat pro-lithuanian.
    Agree it certainly did seem that way and not just 4th qtr.

Still Jomantas shits me as he makes too many "silly" turnovers. Maybe when he slipped over it was a wet floor? Maybe he dribbled the ball to close to the line when it went out of bounds?
    Last edited by Lietuvis; 08-25-2009 at 05:46 AM.

Considering all that was said about him in this forum, I think Zisis deserves some compliments after the last few games.
    He is a very responsible PG/SG, makes good decisions and play grate defense (like he always does).
    It's all about his confidence. Now that he knows that he is a key player in the team he don't afraid to take responsibility from time to time and looks much better.
    And as I said before, I like him more as a PG.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy green View Post

nice team serbia is creating.After some years i can see some light in the end for the serbia NT.
    Unless if they sign big contracts with NBA and start playing the primadonna role again
    "If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lietuvis View Post
    Agree it certainly did seem that way and not just 4th qtr.

Still Jomantas shits me as he makes too many "silly" turnovers. Maybe when he slipped over it was a wet floor? Maybe he dribbled the ball to close to the line when it went out of bounds?
    That slippery happened because he stepped on Shved's foot.

I guess if he will be running the point, we, Lithuanian fans, should be prepared for "Jomantas' situations" - charging fouls, when he pushes away his defender with the non-dribbling arm and the ballhandling turnovers.

Quote Originally Posted by ip84 View Post
    Considering all that was said about him in this forum, I think Zisis deserves some compliments after the last few games.
    He is a very responsible PG/SG, makes good decisions and play grate defense (like he always does).
    It's all about his confidence. Now that he knows that he is a key player in the team he don't afraid to take responsibility from time to time and looks much better.
    i agree on that.even if i critisized him in the past i have to admit he is looking in a better shape and much more confident.
    again its too early for conclussions.the roles are not specific and we can see that.Kazlauskas is testing and the majority of the players cant find rythm when they play from 25m to 5 in the next match.some of them havent played in such games in their carreers and certaintly without trying to find rythm in 10 minutes time and trying to adjust(the problem that has to adjust Kalathes in PAO).greece maybe wont be favorite for the gold medal but they will have a good team in euro.We have days for all teams to get ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyroscope View Post
    Unless if they sign big contracts with NBA and start playing the primadonna role again
    you have a point here..its time for Euro clubs to protect their fortunes with a release clause.Not only clubs will hold them but also it will benefit players future and ...character...
    2nd in EUROLEAGUE IBN PREDICTION GAME 2016-2017
    2nd in EUROLEAGUE IBN PREDICTION GAME 2015-2016
    1st in EUROLEAGUE IBN PREDICTION GAME 2014-2015
    2nd in EUROLEAGUE IBN PREDICTION GAME 2013-2014
    2nd in EUROLEAGUE IBN PREDICTION GAME 2012-2013
    2nd in EUROLEAGUE IBN PREDICTION GAME 2010-2011
    3nd in EUROLEAGUE IBN PREDICTION GAME 2009-2010
    1st in EUROLEAGUE IBN PREDICTION GAME 2008-2009
    2nd in EUROLEAGUE IBN PREDICTION GAME 2007-2008

I guess if he will be running the point, we, Lithuanian fans, should be prepared for "Jomantas' situations" - charging fouls, when he pushes away his defender with the non-dribbling arm and the ballhandling turnovers.
    ball carrying - his favourite...

Default Time

Hi ppl, I can't faind Time table of Acropolis tournament.... some one help!
    Thanks!

Gal zinot visu rungtyniu laika? niekur nerandu, o internete graikiskai viskas Kada zaidzia lietuviai tai jau aisku
    Last edited by fanas; 08-25-2009 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lafa View Post
    ball carrying - his favourite...
    I would say that Delininkaitis is a bit more "experienced" on this rule violation

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KWSN-Men View Post
    Greece's guard rotation =

Spanoulis = ball hog, turnover machine, Greece's best scorer, Greece's best player

Calathes = ball hog, turnover machine, pretty poor player for this level at the current time, however very talented player obviously for age

Zisis = ball hogging, black hole on offense, yet he does not turn the ball over and also is a very good shooter

Bottom line for Greece is they need another guard to give them something if they expect to do anything. Calathes sure does not appear ready to contribute much. He is very good in bringing the ball up the court against pressure and also in pressure defense and getting steals and he seems to be able to run a fast break well and to be a nice passer and pick and roll player. That's all he can do. No jump shot, no one to one offense, no finishing ability, not very good play making, not very good play creation, and so on.

Greek guards of Spanoulis and Zisis with 5-10 minutes of ball handling from Calathes to give them a rest is enough for those roles, but not enough in total because Calathes won't produce much offense. So Greece looks to be lacking a fourth guard and in the past they always had those 4 guards to work with.

Sad thing is, Lithuania and Russia guard situation is much worse.
    Last edited by FIBA Europe Basket; 08-25-2009 at 09:30 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ip84 View Post
    Zisis is a very, very smart and very, very smooth and skilled basketball player. He's also very, very steady as a player. But he really dominates the ball and he does everything just in his own game. I think he's a pure shooting guard that just happens to be an outstanding ball handler and that rarely makes a mistake or turnover.

But his play creation for others is practically non existing.

Banned

That slippery happened because he stepped on Shved's foot.

It really seems a bit strange seeing Lithuania without Sharas how that they have no good point guard. Every other position there are good players for them to choose from but point guard position looks lost. A bit strange to have one of the great point guards and then nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by FIBA Europe Basket View Post
    It really seems a bit strange seeing Lithuania without Sharas how that they have no good point guard. Every other position there are good players for them to choose from but point guard position looks lost. A bit strange to have one of the great point guards and then nothing.
    It wouldn't be strange if you knew how our bball schools worked in early ninetees We got lot of good backcourt players, so it seemed that it'll last forever, in some bball schools even didn't accept any kid that is shorter than 190cm, didn't even give a chance. All were looking for a new Sabas. So now we have the concequenses.

Quote Originally Posted by fanas View Post
    Hi ppl, I can't faind Time table of Acropolis tournament.... some one help!
    Thanks!

Gal zinot visu rungtyniu laika? niekur nerandu, o internete graikiskai viskas Kada zaidzia lietuviai tai jau aisku
    Link to the games schedule

i am wondering about your opinion. you said that Spanoulis and Calathes are ballhogers and Zissis is black hole in offence. dont you overdo a little?

Zissis was great fit to each team he played and no one was really disappointed of his being 'black hole' as you said. aditionally he is one of best guard defenders in whole EL and has nice shot from behind.

if we are talking bout Spanoulis you are right. he is TO machine but still go-to-guy and best of Greece NT

but Calathes is known of his court vision and passing skills. he is more pass-first oriented that shot-first. he is able to got 10 assist per game so i cant see his ballhoging and only drawback is his low expierence and yound age so every mistake is result of it.

obviously no one is Theo like, but there is no tragedy in guard positions there such as in Lithuana, Russia or even Serbia n Turkey.

I see things different. Lithuania will win this tournament if our guards will do at least a single thing, that what they are capable, just need time to pass the Spanish shock. I didn't see the whole last game of Serbia- Greece, but I saw the previous game. Greece depends on Spanoulis and Zisis completely. That's not a good idea. Zisis is not a stable shooter as well as Spanoulis tough currently he shows amazing shape (will it last for so long?). The 3 spot is weak and the 4,5 is only solid. Serbia looks very nice as a young team. Teodosic made an improvement, a lot of energy from all young players. Macvan might be a big surprise in this Eurobasket. And I don't talk about Russia, they didn't show their face yet and I doubt they will.

Quote Originally Posted by robbe View Post
    Kleiza has a bad game every time I watch him play for Lithuania.
    What exactly did Kleiza wrong to say that he played bad? 9 points, 7 rebounds and few amazing passes. It's the stats of the leader in such team as Lith NT.
    Last edited by Straight forward; 08-25-2009 at 11:01 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ballhoger View Post
    i am wondering about your opinion. you said that Spanoulis and Calathes are ballhogers and Zissis is black hole in offence. dont you overdo a little?

Zissis was great fit to each team he played and no one was really disappointed of his being 'black hole' as you said. aditionally he is one of best guard defenders in whole EL and has nice shot from behind.

if we are talking bout Spanoulis you are right. he is TO machine but still go-to-guy and best of Greece NT

but Calathes is known of his court vision and passing skills. he is more pass-first oriented that shot-first. he is able to got 10 assist per game so i cant see his ballhoging and only drawback is his low expierence and yound age so every mistake is result of it.

obviously no one is Theo like, but there is no tragedy in guard positions there such as in Lithuana, Russia or even Serbia n Turkey.
    Calathes is a good passer, good floor vision yes. But in the half court he seems to be mainly a guy that looks for his shot and scoring and does not not involve others. Also, his scoring and shooting ability seems pretty poor.

I am sure he can get 10 assists also, but only in a up and down type of game. He doesn't really seem to have the half court play making ability of guys like Diamantidis, Papaloukas, Spanoulis.

I don't think Zisis has ever been a ball hogger at all (far from it actually) I meant that right now in this team he appears to be. He's playing as one like Spanoulis because out of necessity because they are the definite two best scorers of Greece.

Spanoulis same thing, he has to be almost a one man show for Greece. Obviously he is the best player Greece has by quite a lot. But having to need him play dominating the ball and ball hogging because they don't have enough scorers is not a good sign.

Spanoulis will need to average 20 a game at Eurobasket and Zisis 15 a game it seems for Greece and they certainly are capable of it. But even then who else will there be? Bourousis and Schortanitis can't stay on the floor long enough to give enough help in offense. Either one could probably give them another 15 points but they don't stay on the floor long enough. And they don't play together as a combination well because of lack of defensive foot speed. The pick and roll could kill that combination on defense.

Basically, yes it seems like Zisis and Spanoulis are ball hogging, but it's because they have to. There is no one else that can score that much and the main ones that can are two big men that first need the ball handed to them. If Greece had another good scorer they could challenge Spain but as it is they seem to be fighting for silver to me. I picked them for gold because I though Koufos would be ready for them but he's not ready at all yet it seems.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast