2009 FIBA Oceania Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Saskibaloia View Post
    Congratulations to donmar and his boiz from across the Tasman!!!

A very well deserved win and an incredible showcase for the basketball world to see!

It looked like one hell of a lopsided game. That alley oop in the third quarter was pretty much the cherry on the top.

And of course, how could it not be a real Trans-Tasman rivalry game without some push and shove with some insults included between the players.

This is a great sign to show to the basketball world that New Zealand basketball still exists and even though they may not have players playing in the NBA or Europe like their Australian brothers they are able to put up one hell of a fight.

Congratulations to all my Kiwi brothers and to the Tall Blacks!!!

You guys proved me ... and even your fellow countryman wrong and I personally hope that this level of basketball in the Oceania region continues for many years to come!
    I can't really answer that... as you mention, the Boomers have a new coach and it depends on the draw on what teams they're playing against in the World Champs... but I think once the NBA and other overseas-based players return for next year's big tourney, I'm sure Australia will improve a lot...

By the way, we got a lot of players in New Zealand playing in Europe and Sean Marks in the NBA... though most of them choose not to play for the national team anymore...

I think its too early to predict how the two teams will perform in the World Championship, and definitely, the current line-ups for both teams are not the final line-up to be sent to the WC...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bsgermany View Post
      A merger of the Asian and Oceanic region would be te only logical move. Not that Asia wouldn't already be big enough of a qualifying zone, but two spots for basically two countries is a little unfair to te rest of the world isn't it?

Australia an the Tall Blacks would probably qualify anyway, but at least they would have to fight for it for a change just like the rest of the world does - unlike now that it's practically automatically granted.

We will see if FIBA will evershow som common sense here. Actually Asia could be even more attractive, if every country would play where it geographically belongs and the Asian Champs would see another serious contender with Israel.

That would put the currenly dominatin countries like China and Iran in a completely new situation, possibly all of a sudden only figting for what's left.

Lets not talk about the merger here... we got a thread about that and a lot of people pretty much agreed to that... even me.... so there's nothing to argue about... the only problem is FIBA... would they listen to us... the current FIBA President is an Australian and one of his advocacy when he run for the FIBA Presidency is a merger of Asia and Oceania... and anytime soon that will happen... we'll just have to be patient...

sigpic

Comment

Congrats New Zealand...

With the win, New Zealand not only gains a higher seeding in the 2010 World Championships, but takes home the Al Ramsay Shield, the all-important symbol of trans-Tasman mens basketball supremacy.
        Supremacy indeed, the Tall Blacks were dominant; the 22-point margin was NZ’s largest win ever over Australia.

Stuart
        http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
        http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
        http://www.interbasket.net

Comment

@basketcase: Yeah what a win.. 22 points margin, I think the Tall Blacks deserve it especially after leading the whole the game in the first test and loss it at the end...[/QUOTE]

It's a big morale boasting win for the Tallblacks bro

Comment

"bad news"

Thousand Greeks have been immigrated to Australia,mostly,the previous century so I have 3 aunts donw under...so I am not so happy for the defeat of Australia.On the other hand is useful for basketball New Zealand be more competitive.

I have to figure out that the 2 teams had the classic problem this periodo,NBA /Euroleague players decided to get rest.So,how is it going to be next years?

Basketball is ΒΕΥΟΝD the NATIONS!

Comment

Originally posted by bhoy_Athens View Post
              Thousand Greeks have been immigrated to Australia,mostly,the previous century so I have 3 aunts donw under...so I am not so happy for the defeat of Australia.On the other hand is useful for basketball New Zealand be more competitive.

I have to figure out that the 2 teams had the classic problem this periodo,NBA /Euroleague players decided to get rest.So,how is it going to be next years?
              They will be available for next year's World Championship... if the NBA teams have the balls to release American players for Team USA... then why not release the international players... I dunno much about the Euroleague, since European clubs are quite independent from the ULEB compare to the NBA teams... so I guess, Europe-based players will not be able to participate but we'll never know...

sigpic

Comment

The Opals wasted the Tall Ferns by 50 points... 98-48 is the final score...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X

Debug Information