Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Venezuela national team

Saw Greivis Vasquez and Jesus Urbina playing in the Kenner League yesterday. Vasquez is sporting a very dubious beard. Fortunately there is no photography allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Quote Originally Posted by JGX View Post
    Saw Greivis Vasquez and Jesus Urbina playing in the Kenner League yesterday. Vasquez is sporting a very dubious beard. Fortunately there is no photography allowed.
    Great news! (Except about the dubious beard...if you can't grow a beard, buy a razor). How did Urbina look? He's going to be a starting senior this year at George Mason. Is he really 6'7"? I saw a video of him playing and he didn't look 6'.
    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Quote Originally Posted by mvblair View Post
    How did Urbina look? He's going to be a starting senior this year at George Mason. Is he really 6'7"? I saw a video of him playing and he didn't look 6'.
    You must have him confused with someone else, he left George Mason several years ago. He was playing on a team with a lot of current Mason players though. 6'7" is about right and he is not skinny. The incoming Georgetown freshmen on the other team outplayed him.
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Venezuelan Roster against the visiting Japanese National Team.

Head coach Eric Musselman fielded the Venezuelan Roster against the visiting Japanese National Team.

Greivis Vasquez
    David Cubillan
    Heissler Guillent
    Axier Sucre
    Jose Vargas
    Luis Bethelmy
    Gregory Echenique
    Nestor Colmenares
    Francisco Centeno
    Dwight Lewis
    Jose Bravo
    Luis Valera
    Maikel Flores
    Windi Graterol

Sidenote: Denis D'Adezzio was taken out of the roster and expected replacement is Richard La Guaira.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Venezuela to play 2 games against the Japanese national (A) Team

VENEZUELA IS FACING ITS FIRST TEST AGAINST JAPAN

On Writing the Thursday, July 28, 2011
    CARACAS .- This Friday and Saturday the National Team of Venezuela will be playing a series of two friendlies against Japan in the Park Miranda at 7:00 pm both meetings. These are the first two games of the pre-Olympic preparation towards the Mar del Plata, Argentina

The selection of Japan has a total of 13 players, they come with all their stars: Fumihiko Aono, Ryota Sakurai, Takumi Ishizaki, Shinsuke Kashiwagi, Takuya Kawamura, Kosuke Takeuchi, Tomoo Amino, Kenta Hirose, Joji Takeuchi, Takeki Shonaka, Makoto Nagayama, Ken Takeda and Atsuya Ota . Thomas is the Technical Director and Technical Assistant Wisman is Tomoya Higashino. The highlights of this selection is that there are three players who measured 2.06 meters and a measuring 2.10 meters. No doubt the combined native will have to battle in the paint with these players for this we have the presence of Michael Marriage, Echenique and Windi Graterol Gregory who will be rotated into the paint.

For his part, Venezuelan combo led by Eric Musselman count on Greivis Vasquez, David Cubillan, Heissler Guillent, Axier Sucre, Jose Vargas, Luis Bethelmy, Gregory Echenique, Nestor Colmenares, Francisco Centeno, Dwight Lewis, Jose Bravo, Luis Valera, Maikel Flores and Windi Graterol. The player Denis D ¨ Adezzio was removed from the selection of resenting an injury yesterday. It is expected that the player Buccaneers Richard La Guaira

Lugo will join the pre-selection and thus strengthen the position of a pivot low.

This is the first opportunity you will have the Musselman and his assistant Brad Grennberg to observe the Venezuelan players and see how they operate in the field also will be tested every play tested in the first two weeks of practice
    ABUSADOR !!!, ABUSADOR !!!, ABUSADOR !!!, ABUSADOR !!!, ABUSADOR !!!

First game: VNZ 91 vs JP 53

Venezuela defeated Japan in warm-up game
    liderendeportes.com

Saturday, July 30, 2011

The DT Musselman said defense need to be corrected and praised ball movement, finishing with 91 against 53 from Japan

Venezuela's national preselection smoothly overcame its similar Japan 91-53 in the first game of the pre-Olympic preparations with preparations to Mar del Plata, Argentina, to be played from August 30 to September 11.

The guard Greivis Vasquez left a good impression on the fans who filled the Miranda Park Arena, with the main expectation of observing the local hero who plays in the NBA with the Memphis Grizzlies.

Vasquez ended the day with 15 points, 8 assists and 7 rebounds to lead the Venezuelan attack, against an opponent that showed many technical defects and that at no time put a real opposition in the field.

Venezuela decided the match in the same first quarter with a partial closing of 22-7, which the Nipponese could never recover from.

"The atmosphere was phenomenal. Our effort early in the game set the tone, "said the coach of the squad burgundy, American Eric Musselman, who started on the court David Cubillan, Vasquez, Nestor Colmenares, Windy Graterol and Gregory Echenique.

"Windy was great defensively. Greivis David played very well together, especially at the beginning, "said the strategist.

After 21 consecutive practices, the quintet was able to show the work of that the tricolor national team has been doing. They were good things, but also others in which there is much to correct.

Japan launched two baskets of 37-10 to 27 percent, but took some liberties triples to take a hit of 50 percent (16-8).

"We made many mistakes on defense than we have to clean. We got late at the pick and roll coverage and to defend the weak side, "Musselman acknowledged.

The coach was not very pleased with the offensive execution, but said it was because "we have many days of practice followed and the legs of the players are tired."

What the coach stated "ball movement and dribbling was one of my concerns and we did very well at those aspects of the game. "

Vasquez: it was seven years since the last time I played in Caracas (in the youth categories), said he was "anxious. It was a dream to play in the city where I am from. I felt good in the position two (He is a point guard in the NBA). I will do what the coach wants, I came here to work. "

Venezuela 91

Cubillán 5, 15 and 8 ast Vásquez Colmenares 7, Graterol 2, Echenique 10. 11 Vargas, Sucre 8, Guillent 7, Florida 7, Bravo 5, Bethelmy 4, Lewis 4, Marriaga 3, Rye 3. Coach: Eric Musselman.

Japan 53

Kashiwagi 7, 11 Kawamura, Amino 12, J. 3 Takeuchi, K. Takeuchi 8. Ishizaki 6, Takeda 4, Aono 1, Hirose 1, Sakurai 0, Shonaka 0, Nagayama, Ota 0. DT: Thomas Wisman.

Quaters: 22-7 / 46-19 / 65-34
    I didn't think Asian countries where so weak

Second game: VZN 103 vs JP 67
    Venezuela defeats Japan for the second imte in a row on their basketball friendly

Caracas, July 30 (Prensa Latina) Venezuela's national basketball surpassed today for a second night Japan in a friendly in preapratrions for the tournament in Mar del Plata in September that will give two tickets for the London 2012 Olympic Games.

The "red wined" quintet squad dominated Japan 103-67. Japan in all honesty demanded little to the hosts in the gym Jose Carrillo in Caracas.
    I am honestly shocked with how weak Asian countries outside of China are.

Outside of China? I will say that Iran is just a little stronger than China but still those teams in that part of the world are very weak.

In my prediction, Iran is going to win Fiba Asia. China does not have one player now that can match with Hammed Hehaddadi. Not to mention that Arzelen Kazemi probably is not going to be playing, but still I pick Iran over China.
    Last edited by rikhardur; 08-02-2011 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cardenales View Post
    In my prediction, Iran is going to win Fiba Asia. China does not have one player now that can match with Hammed Hehaddadi. Not to mention that Arzelen Kazemi probably is not going to be playing, but still I pick Iran over China.
    I don't think China is strong at all, I just didn't want chinese peopleto get mad (Chinese peopl are very opinionated) at me for saying that Asian teams are weark so I edited what I wrote and aded the "outside of china" part

and Iran isn't that big of a deal either

Quote Originally Posted by Ciscorlie Horford View Post
    I don't think China is strong at all, I just didn't want chinese peopleto get mad (Chinese peopl are very opinionated) at me for saying that Asian teams are weark so I edited what I wrote and aded the "outside of china" part

and Iran isn't that big of a deal either
    Well I'm the only Chinese dude who reads this thread so you might as well say me

I'm interested in how Venezuela will finish in FIBA Americas this year now with Vasquez in the mix. If anything, 4th-5th teams in FIBA Americas have not done any better than high-level Asian teams in the worlds:

2006 World Championship: the worst Americas teams were 17th, 21st, and 23rd; the worst Asian teams 18th, 20th and 24th. (including Japan 20th, Venezuela 21st). 2010 World Championship: the worst Americas teams were 18th and 22nd; the worst Asian teams 19th, 20th and 23rd.

Or are you saying 2 exhibition games carry more weight than World Champs?
    aim low, score high

Quote Originally Posted by sinobball View Post
    Well I'm the only Chinese dude who reads this thread so you might as well say me

I'm interested in how Venezuela will finish in FIBA Americas this year now with Vasquez in the mix. If anything, 4th-5th teams in FIBA Americas have not done any better than high-level Asian teams in the worlds:

2006 World Championship: the worst Americas teams were 17th, 21st, and 23rd; the worst Asian teams 18th, 20th and 24th. (including Japan 20th, Venezuela 21st). 2010 World Championship: the worst Americas teams were 18th and 22nd; the worst Asian teams 19th, 20th and 23rd.

Or are you saying 2 exhibition games carry more weight than World Champs?
    Oh please sinoball, you know that China have being lucky in these pass two world championships.
    Originally Posted by -K2- View Post
    16 free throws in the last 4 minutes...
    Puerto Rico had 20 the whole game

Seriosuly... someone quote this whole post and signature me... Greek Loby Rulz
    8/29/2010...THE DAY WE GOT ROBBED!

Quote Originally Posted by PRSURF View Post
    Oh please sinoball, you know that China have being lucky in these pass two world championships.
    Even if we focus on head-to-head matchups between China and Puerto Rico (and not on the fact that China won the tiebreaker both times ), we should also see the other head-to-head matchups which are: Japan > Panama; Lebanon > Canada; Lebanon > Venezuela. That's 3-2 in favor of Asia when you pitch the 4th/5th placers in Americas against Asia. Did I mention that China finished higher than Puerto Rico both times?

The point here is, if Asian teams are weak (and they are), so are all American teams besides USA, Argentina and Brazil. So I don't know what some of your sense of superiority come from.

Sorry for derailing the thread. I guess it was already OT before I stepped in.
    aim low, score high

Even if we focus on head-to-head matchups between China and Puerto Rico (and not on the fact that China won the tiebreaker both times ), we should also see the other head-to-head matchups which are: Japan > Panama; Lebanon > Canada; Lebanon > Venezuela. That's 3-2 in favor of Asia when you pitch the 4th/5th placers in Americas against Asia. Did I mention that China finished higher than Puerto Rico both times?

The point here is, if Asian teams are weak (and they are), so are all American teams besides USA, Argentina and Brazil. So I don't know what some of your sense of superiority come from.

ok, you win...
    Originally Posted by -K2- View Post
    16 free throws in the last 4 minutes...
    Puerto Rico had 20 the whole game

Seriosuly... someone quote this whole post and signature me... Greek Loby Rulz
    8/29/2010...THE DAY WE GOT ROBBED!

I've never understand why people wanna make it seem like brazil is this super team when in fact they never won anything ...the only really strong teams in this continent are the usa and argentina because of their achievements in world championships and the olympics, and because of their style of play, I.Q, etc...brazil is not on their level, neither puerto rico.....yet.

Quote Originally Posted by tres equis View Post
    I've never understand why people wanna make it seem like brazil is this super team when in fact they never won anything ...
    They already had medals at every championship...
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Is Japan playing any more games in the Americas or did they just go to Venezuela? Kind of a strange trip if this is it.

Honduras beat Mongolia in the Jones Cup a long time ago, so everyone has to admit that the Americas deserve a 20th spot in the WC before Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by tres equis View Post
    I've never understand why people wanna make it seem like brazil is this super team when in fact they never won anything ...the only really strong teams in this continent are the usa and argentina because of their achievements in world championships and the olympics, and because of their style of play, I.Q, etc...brazil is not on their level, neither puerto rico.....yet.
    Well, Brazil has a big basketball history. The country is the last Americas champion and has 3 PanAm titles in a row.

Ok, we had a TERRIBLE era with our last CBB president, but if you look at the last results you´ll see that we should be more respected (like in the WC, losting for USA and Argentina for a minimal margin).

Quote Originally Posted by JGX View Post
    Is Japan playing any more games in the Americas or did they just go to Venezuela? Kind of a strange trip if this is it.

Honduras beat Mongolia in the Jones Cup a long time ago, so everyone has to admit that the Americas deserve a 20th spot in the WC before Asia.
    Japan is scheduled to play the Mexican National Team next. Originally, the Japanese Federation wanted atleast a game with the Dominican Republic but the Federation (after hearing the thoughts of Calipari) turned down the offer.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Quote Originally Posted by planaria View Post
    Well, Brazil has a big basketball history. The country is the last Americas champion and has 3 PanAm titles in a row.

Ok, we had a TERRIBLE era with our last CBB president, but if you look at the last results you´ll see that we should be more respected (like in the WC, losting for USA and Argentina for a minimal margin).
    I know brazil has a great basketball history and i respect that, i was talking about in more recent times you know....in big tournaments that really matters like olympics and world championships when teams like the usa and argentina played great tournaments and came home with medals...brazil, puerto rico and the rest of the american teams always play below expectations in those big competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciscorlie Horford View Post
    Second game: VZN 103 vs JP 67

I am honestly shocked with how weak Asian countries outside of China are.
    Well Lebanon did beat Venezuela in the 2006 World Championships 82-72...

This years' Venezuelan roster doesn't have any name from the 2006 roster if i'm not mistaken....I'm sure the addition of coach Musselman is a big plus for the team as well.

In 2006 their roster consisted of:

4 Víctor Díaz
    5 Pablo Machado
    6 Yumerving Ernesto Mijares
    7 Richard Lugo
    8 Tomás Aguilera
    9 Oscar Torres
    10 Carlos Alberto Cedeno
    11 Miguel Marriaga
    12 Gregory Vallenilla
    13 Manuel Alejandro Barrios
    14 Heberth Alberto Bayona