Most interesting matches - window 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most interesting matches - window 1

Given the rosters are so influx, until we get a good idea of what teams can do what it's all guessing. So with that in mind what do you think the best matches will be for the first two games in the first window of this new qualifying system?

Games I got an eye on?

Puerto Rico vs. United States
    USA's X squad against one of the more capable teams in their region. Technically a road game though in the US, could still be a road crowd depending on turnout

United States vs. Mexico
    US again takes on one of the better teams in their region with the X squad. Home game, but unless tickets are $1 not expecting a huge home court advantage.

Dominican Republic vs. Canada
    Neither team is close to full strength, both should come out of this group, good statement game.

Montenegro vs. Spain
    If this was A squad vs A squad, I'd say Spain easy, but new squad for Spain in what could be a hostile environment.

Lithuania vs. Poland
    Really I just want to see a Lithuanian home game against a decent side.

Croatia vs. Italy
    The two teams should advance but a potentially decent game in the former Yugoslavia has my attention
    Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
    Given the rosters are so influx, until we get a good idea of what teams can do what it's all guessing. So with that in mind what do you think the best matches will be for the first two games in the first window of this new qualifying system?

Games I got an eye on?

USA's X squad against one of the more capable teams in their region. Technically a road game though in the US, could still be a road crowd depending on turnout

United States vs. Mexico
    US again takes on one of the better teams in their region with the X squad. Home game, but unless tickets are $1 not expecting a huge home court advantage.

Neither team is close to full strength, both should come out of this group, good statement game.

Montenegro vs. Spain
    If this was A squad vs A squad, I'd say Spain easy, but new squad for Spain in what could be a hostile environment.

Lithuania vs. Poland

Croatia vs. Italy
    The two teams should advance but a potentially decent game in the former Yugoslavia has my attention
    I'm really curious about the final rosters of Euro nations. We might see some interesting results, like Belarus beating the EB champion Slovenia etc .
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

United States vs. Mexico
      Seat maps on Ticketmaster indicate not many tickets sold for either game. Holiday probably doesn't help especially for the US/PR game.
      Originally posted by Fedfan
      Most ppl get childish when they lose.
      Originally posted by GuTO
      refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Originally posted by JGX View Post
        Seat maps on Ticketmaster indicate not many tickets sold for either game. Holiday probably doesn't help especially for the US/PR game.
        It seems the USA/MEX match-up is much more compelling than USA/PR.
        PR's roster doesn't look that strong - I could be wrong, but I am just not familiar with most of the names. Maybe someone else can agree/disagree. MEX on the other hand looks to have most of their core which will give them a strong advantage in consistency and chemistry. The USA "X" (I like that name) still has a load of talent with most of of the team being borderline NBA players. Van Gundy was able to pull a team together quickly in the AmeriCup, and create enough chemistry and team work to defeat a pretty full ARG squad, so I still think he can do it with this group.

VEN has my eye as well as, like Mexico, they pretty much have their full squad (won the 2015 FIBA Americas and made the Olympics). What they lack in talent they make up with hard-nosed play and chemistry. It will be interesting to see how losing Coach Nestor impact them as I always thought he massively out-coached Jay Triano in the 2015 FIBA Americas semi-finals, and was somewhat of an X-factor for VEN. Brazil seems to have decent talent, but they have had issue of under-performing over the last few years. VEN could surprise them.

DR seems a little like PR - where I am not too familiar with most of the guys. Canada looks to have some solid talent in the 24 man roster which gives me confidence, but I will reserve full judgement until I see who shows up on the 12 man roster. The 24 man pool gives me hope that we can really improve our AmeriCup team which really wasn't that bad. It had a solid top 6-7 with a really weak bench (especially forwards) and for some reason we decided to use no prep time whatsoever (just a couple days of practice with no warm-up games), which allowed us to get caught by USVI in the first game.

We really could be keeping the top 4-5 AmeriCup guys (XRM, Hanlan, Pierre, Heslip, Anthony) lose Andrew Nicholson, but bring in solid reinforcements in Anthony Bennett, Thomas Scrubb, Phil Scrubb, Melvin Ejim (all senior team regulars) and some other solid pros in Marc Trasolini and Owen Klassen. Plus my favorite X-factor in a maybe/maybe-not in-shape Sim Bhullar. He can create some serious mismatches if they figure out how to use him properly in short stretches - but that might be just a fantasy.

In short my most anticipated Round I games are USA/MEX, BRA/VEN and CAN/DR.

Comment

Given Cuba's surprise performance in Mexico, I am super interested in Puerto Rico @ Cuba. I thought Cuba was going to be this groups token rag doll, but nope they gave Mexico all they could handle.
          Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Games I got an eye on?

transfers Caen
            United States vs. Mexico

Montenegro vs. Spain

Lithuania vs. Poland

Croatia vs. Italy
            I'm really curious about the final

Comment

Working...
            X

Debug Information