This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Katastroika View Post
    Roster of the Frenchmen came out. Straight Forward will diss me as huge fan of French school but I am really not that impressed. This team is position-wise really good and formidably chosen but lacks creativity except De Colo and somehow less physical than previous French rosters. Will be interesting to seeing them in Japan, though. I have huge respect of their talent, nontheless.

Can't wait to see Spanish roster as World Champion and best European team.
    I agree generally. The roster lacks extra spiciness, physicality and creativity. I'm surprised Maledon is not included, it could be related with his NBA career as it's his first off season. I really think he might be more dynamic, aggressive and more dangerous than some of other French guards, I have Albicy, Huertel in my mind firstly. In a longer run, Killian Hayes should bring that elite creativity and smoothness, Maledon will be tough and versatile guard to contain and Victor (can we just call him by the first name? ) should be a different maker for them after some 4-5 years. Along that they have a deep army of prospects and some of them should be pretty good inevitably. But now I can't jump from my seat when I see Albicy, Huertel. Position 4 is meh. I'm a bit surprised as well.
    LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
    Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
    Buzelis, Lelevicius
    Murauskas, Sirvydis
    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

In early 2010s France Parker and Diaw was better no doubt, but still when I see 6 NBA calibre players on roster that Olympic games semifinal material team.

I can't think of what France could add more to be stronger for this Olympics.Thats there best players to win now.

Creativity will come from Decolo, Fournier,Huertel trio and Gobert will cement their defence as always.

I'm wouldnt be a fan getting them in 1/4.

2019 USA got burned by this roster in 1/4 anybody other easily also can be.
      Last edited by Shawshank; 05-21-2021, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
        In early 2010s France Parker and Diaw was better no doubt, but still when I see 6 NBA calibre players on roster that Olympic games semifinal material team.

I can't thing of what France could add more to be stronger for this Olympics.Thats there best players to win now.

Creativity will come from Decolo, Fournier,Huertel trio and Gobert will cement their defence as always. Tough out team to beat in one playoofs type game
        I think it will be De Colo based game - Fournier is primarily shooter that cannot create that much, he was injured a lot this year but what I've seen Boston uses him for spot up mostly which is his greatest weapon. It was also in World Cup.
        Heurtel is not reliable in my opinion after this year, it's a gamble, I like him a lot as player and he left big impression on me in 2014 leading France in semis and playing incredible game against Spain but still, I wouldn't put a such crucial position in his hands in his actual downgoing career. Ntilikina is defensively very good player and played surprisingly active in World Cup and maybe most complementary with De Colo based game...Albicy is solid player, not more.

To me this French team is significantly worse as key players of them are suffering difficult times in their careers, a little uprising of Batum but nothing special, Fournier played well in Boston so far but mostly used as shooter (no wonder with players around him), Heurtel hasn't played at all, as mentioned big men rotation is significantly worse than in Diaw times, there is Rudy (I am no hater, I simply consider him not that good like most people) and overall I think from Big 4 nations in Europe this year they are worst. If I am correct time will tell.

Comment

we played them in 2019.

Fournier and Decolo was only ones that was creating (Huertel wasnt playing).

Fournier is way more than just a shooter. He was putting ball on the floor and penetrating inside alot. Fournier made more problems 1 vs 1 for us than Decolo did in 2019.

People dont understand Gobert greatness. He is not just 1 vs 1 defender,his job is way bigger.He is team inside defence just by himself. Best basketball goalkeeper by a mile.

All advance defence stats shows +- stats with gobert in and out from jazz roster. He will win once again defensive player award in nba and make 3rd all nba team. Those nba voters is not voting for europeans multiple times.Only when they were obviuosly better and data back it down.

Gobert was key in 2019 win againts Usa athletes.He was chalenging all penetrations usa tried .
          Last edited by Shawshank; 05-21-2021, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Yeah, but 2019 is two years ago.

I know this stats, I also know he is top 5 in real-plus-minus in all NBA. Doesn't change my opinion about him, I watched him play live 2 times also, most impressive physical appearance I've ever seen and I've seen Marjanovic playing live. And I know all the arguments, that people have fear of penetrating, that he changes conception of opponent's offense etc. I simply think that you are in FIBA basketball there are also downsides on playing Gobert and not just upsides.

Time will tell who is right, I wouldn't be surprised if France faces elimination before semifinals this year.

Comment

Speaking of Boban Marjanovic, what is it that coaches don't like about his game? He's just about never given major minutes on the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Hepcat View Post
                Speaking of Boban Marjanovic, what is it that coaches don't like about his game? He's just about never given major minutes on the floor.

The main reason he doesn’t start and play more minutes is he is very slow-footed and has trouble getting up and down the court. He has some nice spurts of play, but he just cant sustain that level of play for 20+ minutes. He can’t keep up with the more athletic players and he becomes a huge defensive liability, especially against a big man who can shoot the ball or when switching is needed.

Comment

Physical constitution. In FIBA you can hide him more because there are no defensive three seconds but issue is the same. If you bring him for 5min stretches and play on him he can cause a lot of trouble but that's it.

Comment

Physical constitution.... If you bring him for 5min stretches and play on him he can cause a lot of trouble but that's it.
                    You mean he has no stamina? With his physique you would think he could/should be a one-man wrecking crew. I see that he's a good foul shooter too.

Comment

You mean he has no stamina? With his physique you would think he could/should be a one-man wrecking crew. I see that he's a good foul shooter too.

I think his stamina is good, he looks like Jean Clauda Van Damme without, no fat, just muscled, and he's a hard worker but his physical appearance doesn't allow him to hedge, to recover, his vertical steps take a second before the next one
                      That's all fine with his shooting, he is really a good shooter and he also covers and challenges a lot better than 3 years ago back to basket (if someone even tries to attack him like that) or facing up at low post but vertical movement is simply too slow and without it you cannot play serious basketball on his position in NBA. You cannot learn it, it's simply like it is, his body is like that.
                      If opponent is over foul limit you can bring him for a short stretch to cause problems in NBA but as I said that's it.

He is good rebounder (or let's say he grabs a lot of rebounds because he is a head bigger than most centers) but that's all pretty much cherry picking. The negatives prevail by far. At least in NBA. In his last season in zvezda he was one of better EL centers, he played tremendous season. But it was extremely defensively orientated zvezda where everything in defense was installed around him. I don't expect Dallas or someone else to do that, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
                        The main reason he doesn’t start and play more minutes is he is very slow-footed and has trouble getting up and down the court.... He can’t keep up with the more athletic players and he becomes a huge defensive liability, especially against a big man who can shoot the ball or when switching is needed.
                        ...but vertical movement is simply too slow and without it you cannot play serious basketball on his position in NBA. You cannot learn it, it's simply like it is, his body is like that.
                        Ahhhhh, so when it comes to running or even jumping he's just too slow.

Comment

Of course this all raises the question of how that tub-of-lard Shaquille O'Neal could have been such a big star in the NBA. Yes, a massive body but slow-footed with no shot.

Last edited by Hepcat; 05-22-2021, 04:21 PM.

Comment

I think that comparing Boban and Shaq is really Science-Fiction

Anyways, Shaq was a freak of nature and even back then had trouble defending pick and roll when switching all was at the very beginning. In offense he was pretty undefendable when he received the ball at the low post. To me his the most dominant center of the last 30 years, I'd put him even over Hakeem, Dikembe, Ewing and The Admiral. Bad comparison for Boban to be honest, bro

Comment

Of course this all raises the question of how that tub-of-lard Shaquille O'Neal could have been such a big star in the NBA. Yes, a massive body but slow-footed with no shot.

Hepcat, dude...
                              LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
                              Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
                              Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

I didn't say Boban was as good as Shaq. The stats clearly say otherwise. I'm just wondering what it was about Shaq that enabled him to put up the stats. He looked to me like the kind of fellow you'd see at Walmart loading up on Hostess Ding Dongs and not on a basketball court.

Last edited by Hepcat; 05-23-2021, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information