Lithuanian NT 2016 Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hepcat View Post

Mantas Kalnietis was amazing and far and away the best player on the team. And Renaldas Seibutis made a solid contribution as well. But when the only other guard who was given meaningful minutes on the floor was a 22 year old first timer who was no better than alright, the team couldn't go far. Perhaps had Rimantas Kaukėnas stuck around for one last kick at the can....

As it looks now we will have to go next Olympic cycle again with Kalnietis (30) and Seibutis (31) in our backourt for 2017-2020 runs...Our Backourt never looked so weak.Thanks god are those 2,that hides that problem as possible to hide this problematic situation. But they will be in 2019 33 and 34 years old and that alot for guards...We need to prepare as best possible for 2019 campaign...(2017 meaningles championship,2018 will be no champ at all).

For all the guard Kazlauskas tried ( and he tried alot of them!) in 2013-2016 nobody taken their chances...The only hope now it is Grigonis to play in SG.In this Olympics he choked,but what can you hope for rookie in Olympics? But he shown really good prospects for the future.In PG its Empty NOTHING...

Comment

• In the last Olympic day i want to remember player that deserved to be remembered.Player that dedicated 15 years to our national team jersey.Player that got alot of criticize from our fans,but he always would return and help our national team year after year...But all runs comes to the end.

Yes im talking about Robertas Javtokas.If not counting qualifications tournament games of 1995,1997,1999,2003,but count only main official tournament games Javtokas played them the most than any other Lithuania national team member ever 91 official tournament games !.

In the 13th official tournaments Robertas proudly weared Lietuva jersey !

When Tim Duncan retired this year,alot of people were saying what a fantastic teammate and human being he was.I can say same about Robertas Javtokas for me he was the beat teammate Lithuania national team ever had.Big brother in loockeroom that all player could count on when things went badly inside the loockeroom.

There were time when Robertas was broking world record 3m65...than accident took away alot from him and almost took his life...but after that his mind and heart was alot tougher and stronger and than he become best captain you ever want to have.

I will always remember 2010 when "one leg Javtokas" stood like a wall and defended our basket from anybody who came closer to it.Fantastic "goolkeeping" i that champ i have ever seen in my life from any player.

Thank you for all the memories Captain ! #15

Comment

• Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
        In the last Olympic day i want to remember player that deserved to be remembered.Player that dedicated 15 years to our national team jersey.Player that got alot of criticize from our fans,but he always would return and help our national team year after year...But all runs comes to the end.

Yes im talking about Robertas Javtokas.If not counting qualifications tournament games of 1995,1997,1999,2003,but count only main official tournament games Javtokas played them the most than any other Lithuania national team member ever 91 official tournament games !.

In the 13th official tournaments Robertas proudly weared Lietuva jersey !

When Tim Duncan retired this year,alot of people were saying what a fantastic teammate and human being he was.I can say same about Robertas Javtokas for me he was the beat teammate Lithuania national team ever had.Big brother in loockeroom that all player could count on when things went badly inside the loockeroom.

There were time when Robertas was broking world record 3m65...than accident took away alot from him and almost took his life...but after that his mind and heart was alot tougher and stronger and than he become best captain you ever want to have.

I will always remember 2010 when "one leg Javtokas" stood like a wall and defended our basket from anybody who came closer to it.Fantastic "goolkeeping" i that champ i have ever seen in my life from any player.

Thank you for all the memories Captain ! #15
        Javtokas was a real monster physically and athletic. He was made for NBA but of course the motorbike accident.

Lithuania

Olympic Games: Bronze 1992-1996-2000.
        FIBA World Championship : Bronze 2010.
        FIBA EuroBasket : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

Comment

• As expected, sadly, Jonas Kazlauskas also retired from NT. No matter dissapointing last 3 games, he did marvelous job by bringing this limited NT to 2 Eurobasket finals, 4th place in World Cup and what's the most important to Olympics. In 2013 I was really sceptical about our chances to make it to Rio, but Kazlauskas did it.
          Now it'll be really interesting to see who will be the next coach. I literally have no idea what's gonna happen

Comment

• Hopefully Kurtis won't ask for too much money and will agree to take reigns of this NT - a guy is very good psychologist and motivator and this young team needs a captain like him on the helm instead of the old school euro coach like Kazlauskas. Kurtis is also quite flexible in his offensive schemes and young talented guys will no longer be afraid to improvise on court

Comment

• There is a interesting voting going on right now on Krepsinis.net for who should be the next coach.
              These are the results so far

Rimas Kurtinaitis with 2697 votes
              Šarūnas Jasikevičius with 1012 votes
              Dainius Adomaitis with 398 votes
              Tomas Pačėsas with 286 votes
              Gintaras Krapikas with 283 votes
              A foreign coach with 236 votes
              Kazys Maksvytis with 217 votes
              Darius Maskoliūnas with 81 votes
              Lithuania

Olympic Games: Bronze 1992-1996-2000.
              FIBA World Championship : Bronze 2010.
              FIBA EuroBasket : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

Comment

• Kurtinaitis indeed would be the best option now IMO. But he stated lot of times that he won't mix club job with NT and he recently signed 2 years deal with Cantu. Another thing is that he doesn't like this new FIBA system, all that qualification games windows and etc. it doesn't match with the way he sees himself working as NT coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                  As expected, sadly, Jonas Kazlauskas also retired from NT. No matter dissapointing last 3 games, he did marvelous job by bringing this limited NT to 2 Eurobasket finals, 4th place in World Cup and what's the most important to Olympics. In 2013 I was really sceptical about our chances to make it to Rio, but Kazlauskas did it.
                  Now it'll be really interesting to see who will be the next coach. I literally have no idea what's gonna happen
                  I agree with everything.Jonas Kazlauskas did very good job in this 4 years,i was skeptical about our chances making to Rio too after 2012 Olympics.Kazlauskas prooved me wrong,but also 3 games that we won in lasts seconds was also some luck on our side otherwise no Rio2016 even with very good coaching of Jonas...Right now i dont see situation aint better,we will strugle making next Olympics and next coach will have huge pressure to do that,otherwise he can become first lithuanian coach who wouldnt make olympics...

Is Lithuania federation ready to higher foreigner coach or we still far away for doing that ? Because if not Kurtinaitis,others are just lkl level coaches...

Comment

And what the hell has gone wrong with Lithuania's rebounding? Spain and Croatia savaged the team on the boards these last two games. And Lithuania winning the battle of the boards is something on which we could always count.

Now that I've had time to look back and think about the team, I can answer my own question. While Domantas Sabonis offered more quickness at the C position than did Jonas Valančiūnas, rebounding suffered when Sabonis was in at C because he doesn't have the height and wingspan of the ideal center.

Moreover when Sabonis was in at the C slot, the only substitute for Paulius Jankūnas at PF was Mindaugas Kuzminskas. While Kuzminskas has his own set of skills, he doesn't offer the "power" at PF to help dominate the boards.

Comment

PF in 21 century MUST HIT 3 pointers just must ! Look at Mirotics,Bjelicas,Anthonys,Andersons,Sarics,Galina ri and so on. If PF is not doing that it will be 2 times more difficut for Valanciunas to play inside,because that PF is not guarding our Pf that is not making shots and Jonas playing basically 1 vs 2 in offence...I didnt like Valanciunas+Sabonis together,we couldnt score...Valanciunas need PF near him that can shoot 3pointer,than he will be effective more and will have space to operate.I am not a fan of putting Sabonis together with Valanciunas after wathcing this olympics... Sabonis should replace Valanciunas,but not play them together.
                      Hmmmm, that would also imply that only Paulius Jankūnas and Mindaugas Kuzminskas could fill the PF slot when Valančiūnas was on the court.

Comment

As expected, sadly, Jonas Kazlauskas also retired from NT. No matter dissapointing last 3 games, he did marvelous job by bringing this limited NT to 2 Eurobasket finals, 4th place in World Cup and what's the most important to Olympics. In 2013 I was really sceptical about our chances to make it to Rio, but Kazlauskas did it.
                        Agreed. That's why I'm really worried now.

Comment

I agree with everything.Jonas Kazlauskas did very good job in this 4 years,i was skeptical about our chances making to Rio too after 2012 Olympics.Kazlauskas prooved me wrong,but also 3 games that we won in lasts seconds was also some luck on our side otherwise no Rio2016 even with very good coaching of Jonas...Right now i dont see situation aint better,we will strugle making next Olympics and next coach will have huge pressure to do that,otherwise he can become first lithuanian coach who wouldnt make olympics...

Is Lithuania federation ready to higher foreigner coach or we still far away for doing that ? Because if not Kurtinaitis,others are just lkl level coaches...
                          I'm not that strict regarding foreign headcoach like I'm against naturalized players, moreover we had some assistants like Imbroda, Donnie Nelson, but still head-coach is different, I'd like to avoid that until it's possible. I'm kinda worried how foreign coach, who has totally nothing in common with Lithuania, would adapt to all that LT bball kitchen. I mean Lithuanian bball is like a brand already, with own identity, style, culture, bball school, mentality, passion regarding the game, devoted fans. Not everyone understands what bball means here, what kind of responsibility coach will carry on his shoulders. Coach should know players, their mentality, know how to say the right words in tough moments, how to motivate after a loss. When it comes to NTs it's kinda specific thing. Tournaments are short, psychology means a lot. Kazlauskas, Kemzura, especially Sireika used some psychological tricks (historical, patriotic) a lot and it worked. With foreign coach it wouldn't have such effect.
                          Maybe it's easier for some Bosnian NT to hire Montenegrin Ivanovic or Croatian Petrovic, all of them are from Balkans, similar culture, bball school. But would it work out here? Maybe I'm digging to deep, but I really have my doubts. Sometimes different mentality/bball schools simply can't match. Only foreign coach I know, who has experience on NT level, is close to our country, knows our mentality, even worked here, it's Bagatskis. He reached some decent results with Latvian NT, even bein' without some top players, and I believe has bright future ahead of him, no surprise that Blatt called him up to be his assistant. But it's still not the same like having a Lith on the bench.
                          Another thing is money. If Lith coaches can work for the sake of idea/country, decent foreign coach would cost big money. Can we afford that? I mean for whole cycle? Especially since it wouldn't guarantee us nothing. Don't know. I think we need some time for things to settle down and then decide

Comment

Hmmmm, that would also imply that only Paulius Jankūnas and Mindaugas Kuzminskas could fill the PF slot when Valančiūnas was on the court.
                            well, he seemed to flourish when a certain Rockets PF was playing alongside him in some past tournaments... Of course, we need to assume first that a certain Rockets PF will ever play for the national team again - he didn't show much enthusiasm up to this point it has to be said

Comment

I'm not that strict regarding foreign headcoach like I'm against naturalized players, moreover we had some assistants like Imbroda, Donnie Nelson, but still head-coach is different, I'd like to avoid that until it's possible. I'm kinda worried how foreign coach, who has totally nothing in common with Lithuania, would adapt to all that LT bball kitchen. I mean Lithuanian bball is like a brand already, with own identity, style, culture, bball school, mentality, passion regarding the game, devoted fans. Not everyone understands what bball means here, what kind of responsibility coach will carry on his shoulders. Coach should know players, their mentality, know how to say the right words in tough moments, how to motivate after a loss. When it comes to NTs it's kinda specific thing. Tournaments are short, psychology means a lot. Kazlauskas, Kemzura, especially Sireika used some psychological tricks (historical, patriotic) a lot and it worked. With foreign coach it wouldn't have such effect.
                              Maybe it's easier for some Bosnian NT to hire Montenegrin Ivanovic or Croatian Petrovic, all of them are from Balkans, similar culture, bball school. But would it work out here? Maybe I'm digging to deep, but I really have my doubts. Sometimes different mentality/bball schools simply can't match. Only foreign coach I know, who has experience on NT level, is close to our country, knows our mentality, even worked here, it's Bagatskis. He reached some decent results with Latvian NT, even bein' without some top players, and I believe has bright future ahead of him, no surprise that Blatt called him up to be his assistant. But it's still not the same like having a Lith on the bench.
                              Another thing is money. If Lith coaches can work for the sake of idea/country, decent foreign coach would cost big money. Can we afford that? I mean for whole cycle? Especially since it wouldn't guarantee us nothing. Don't know. I think we need some time for things to settle down and then decide
                              Actually this was a question that Serbia has faced as well recently, around 2008, when we missed the Beijing Olympics. The problem was a little bit different, we do have a lot of high quality coaches but none of them wanted to take over the team due to the fact that the environment of that team was TOXIC (mostly due to the administrative and political people around the basketball federation) and the team was supremely talented but very, very young. So the results were not a guarantee. In many ways, there are similarities to Lith. You are not under imperative to win gold all the time, you are making steps towards making team younger and growing. Serbia has debated to hire a foreign coach and it was very close to happen. The only reason that it didn't is because Ivkovic decided to take it over with kids. Bosnia, Slovenia, Macedonia etc. don't have a problem with a coach from other Balkan countries since they don't have many coaches, but it would never fly in Serbia or Croatia, just no chance.

I think that if you are lacking true caliber coach or those coaches don't want the NT job, then having a foreign coach is not a bad idea. You would lose much more with a low caliber coach, than that "patriotic" or local effect you get from the Lith coaches. I think that Lith passion for basketball is fantastic and this will attract more coaches that see it as a challenge. The only issue with foreign coaches is that it's tough to get them to commit to a long term deal and cycles.

Comment

• Originally posted by madmax View Post
                                well, he seemed to flourish when a certain Rockets PF was playing alongside him in some past tournaments...
                                But that Rockets PF has a three point shot which was Shawshank's point.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information