WC 2019 Power Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
    Mojo knows about this issue less than you do.

I know all about the issue. I included Brazdeikis because he is a Canadian citizen, played FIBA for Canada and is a product of Canadian basketball.

Until he actually plays for Lithuania or at least gets citizenship I don’t see why he would not be involved in conversations about Canada’s hypothetical player pool.

Personally I am not sure he will ever be good enough anyways, but I included his name just because he was among the large group of Canadians drafted this year. He did have a surprisingly good Summer League so maybe he could be an NBA player after all.

Comment

• Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
      Personally I am not sure he will ever be good enough anyways, but I included his name just because he was among the large group of Canadians drafted this year.
      In the perspective of Canada maybe (even though I believe a lot if Canada's prospects might go to margins anywhere regarding NT much like Wiggins). There's Barret and plenty others NBA prospects (who are those next to Barret at SF, let's say, in a long perspective?), but Lithuania would gladly add a player with his skillset and I see a possibility him being a steal in the second round. In our BB culture it's different, if Iggy is really Lithuanian, he will have a great loyalty to NT. If we have an NBA or bordeline NBA player, we make a very solid peace for the NT most of the time. You can't say that about Canada to say the least...
      LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
      Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
      Buzelis, Lelevicius
      Murauskas, Sirvydis
      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
        In our BB culture it's different, if Iggy is really Lithuanian, he will have a great loyalty to NT. If we have an NBA or bordeline NBA player, we make a very solid peace for the NT most of the time. You can't say that about Canada to say the least...
        Don’t be fooled by the Canadian land mass. It’s a relatively small country. If it were in Europe it would be the 9th largest population. They treat ice hockey like Lithuania treats basketball except they are the clearly the best in the world at it.
        Sports like Lacrosse and Canadian football arguably are more popular than basketball as well. I think their basketball culture is in its infancy stages and growing. It’s actually pretty impressive the amount of talent that they hav recently produced. They put it together on the junior level and won a world championship, now they have to show that it can translate on the senior level.
        Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

• SF is a funny position for us. As far as traditional SFs are concerned the cupboard is fairly bare - even today we don’t really have many NBA quality SFs. Wiggins and RJ Barrett are really NBA SGs - even Dillon Brooks I think too. But of course they can all play a SF type role (if there even is such a specific need anymore). We we have plenty of very tall and versatile SGs (even PGs/SGs) coming up that should be fine In a three guard line up. Shai Gilgeous Alexander and his cousin Nickeil Alexander Walker. Nik Stauskas too.
          Both Karim Mane and AJ Lawson are projected 1st rounders next year and are guards but in the 6’6 range. Addison Patterson is another big guard NBA prospect as well. Still loads of prospects in the pipeline.

I considered Brazdeikis as more of a undersized PF - too slow and unathletic to play on the wing (in the NBA at least). But maybe he can carve a role. He has surprised at every level so far, so why stop now?

Comment

• Originally posted by usagre View Post
            Don’t be fooled by the Canadian land mass. It’s a relatively small country. If it were in Europe it would be the 9th largest population. They treat ice hockey like Lithuania treats basketball except they are the clearly the best in the world at it.
            Sports like Lacrosse and Canadian football arguably are more popular than basketball as well. I think their basketball culture is in its infancy stages and growing. It’s actually pretty impressive the amount of talent that they hav recently produced. They put it together on the junior level and won a world championship, now they have to show that it can translate on the senior level.
            And I believe it will take time if happens ever to get close to the levels of true basketball traditions (USA, Lithuania, Serbia, Spain). They produce crazy amount of talent, but how much it will reflect to actual performance level is absolute enigma. First, their players dedication is amateurish, second, they don't have FIBA traditions and differently than you I really think that's the key. In other words all this talent comes on the paper. Bennett, Wiggins and even Murray (yet) and 95% of their current best players didn't leave a tiny mark at true FIBA environment (WC, Olympics). It will be very interesting to see them in WC this year, but if we had Jasikevicius (top notch coach, or still had Kazlauskas) I would be sure we are handling them even with Murray and Wiggins. Now it's tricky, but I'm still rather positive as of yet (apriori WC).

Buzelis, Lelevicius
            Murauskas, Sirvydis
            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• This summer and next summer will tell us a lot about Canada. Will their top guys participate ? And how well will they do ?
              They have about 10 legitimate world level talents and they are all under 30 years old. I think they have a very good chance to be a special team that accomplishes great things in these next two tournaments.

Comment

• Not long to find out about the commitment level of these young guys. Word is the roster should be released Monday or Tuesday.

Comment

• No Anthony Davis as I expected for World Cup. Like I predicted once he was traded to the Lakers there was no way he was going to participate. Big time loss for team USA.

Comment

• Huge loss for sure. I’m wondering if there’ll be any domino effect with him dropping out.

Comment

• Originally posted by cagney View Post
                      Huge loss for sure. I’m wondering if there’ll be any domino effect with him dropping out.
                      James Harden and Damian Lillard are the only others on the preliminary list that are top tier players like Anthony Davis.
                      If I had to guess Harden is a tossup and Liilard will play. All the others I think will not drop out and try to get selected for the team. This team is definitely going to be weaker than ‘14 and probably overall better than ‘10 but with no Durant caliber player.

Comment

• Lillard, Kemba
                        Beal, Mitchell, McCollum
                        Harden, Middleton
                        Love, Harris, Tatum
                        Drummond, Turner

The way I would go.

Comment

• US suddenly became a very beatable team with a bunch of unproven players on a FIBA stage and that chronic choker Harden "leading them"... Will be interesting for sure

Comment

• I am wondering if it is a coincidence that both players who decided to withdraw from the Worlds, also have the same sport manager. Rich Paul.

Davis absence is a big one. Even so the Team USA is the favourite of the tournament.

Comment

Lillard, Kemba
                              Beal, Mitchell, McCollum
                              Harden, Middleton
                              Love, Harris, Tatum
                              Drummond, Turner

The way I would go.
                              I surely would add Turner. Agreed here. I think he overlooked. To me he's surely better than Drummond who is dying breed. Turner is a defensive beast as well, but also can shoot and run. Overall, I would be extremely exited if there was no Harden and Lillard. Those two will hammer in last nails to the coffin. Without those, I would predict USA choking in a game or two, not necessary going for defeat. Now it's still safe with Harden and Lillard or even one of them.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Lillard, Kemba
                                Beal, Mitchell, McCollum
                                Harden, Middleton
                                Love, Harris, Tatum
                                Drummond, Turner

The way I would go.
                                This would be most beatable USA team I can remember.Popovich will take atleast one veteran, you need grown up to put those young athletes on same page.Pop gonna take Tucker or Millsap maybe even both they would give toughness and leadership.And overall that lineup will need tuckers defence, all those guards are all kinds soft ones,no grinders ,who will play defence from those 6 guards ( including Harden?).Most of them have bad reputation on defensive side in NBA.

If you put Harden who played all season PG as SF is really bad with wings in this USA team.

Pop saw with his own eyes in 2004 young athletes is one thing, but when ship is sinking you need grown ups, there were no use of those young athletes LeBron,Wade and Carmelo's in tough moments in 2004.

Middleton playing style in fiba game is good fit.He can be very important in this WC.Such long athletes with deadly shot is nightmare for European teams.
                                Last edited by Shawshank; 07-15-2019, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information