U20 and Turkish "tricks"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U20 and Turkish "tricks"

This was supposed to be a part of U20 championship thread (which is kind of dead), but then I decided to make it into a separate one because it is not so much about sport, but about the organization aspects. This is an interview with LT national team coach. Those who are not interested in LT playing issues, go to the second part of the interview.

Interview with Kurtinaitis: "This is one of the worst organized championships ever"

(the interview was taken before the 1/4 stage) source: www.basketnews.lt

Was the start of the champiosnhip the one you expected?

This youth championship is interesting because most of the participating teams are very equal. There are around 12 teams who can comepte for the top spots. The teams like Russia or Spain will be fighting for only 9-16 places. Our group was a pretty hard one. Both Greeks and Spaniards are more physicaly mature than our players.

Our group also had Bulgaria, but you should not judge upon it by the title of the country, which is not a basketball hotbed, but they had a really excellent team. In the last game they were leading all the time against Greece, and lost only by one point with a few seconds remaining in the match.

However, we still managed to overcome Spain and Bulgaria. Everybody in our team is in a very fighting mood. Being their coach, I am glad that they believe they came here not only to spend time on court, but also to fight for the medals. I was convincing them for 1,5 months that we are going there for medals.

Were you very anxious before the last group game against Spain?

Definitely. We were very anxious because our situation was already complicated after the loss to Greeks, especially as Bulgaria defeated Spain. We needed two wins very badly, and the match with Spain determined who would fight for 1-8 places. We saw that Bulgarians and Spaniards were very strong, and we are very happy to hold on.

Beating the ball with hands

Is the lack of size so much felt in the team?

Yes, very much. During the last game against Spain we only got 32 rebounds, while Spain - 50! In my entire career as aplayer and as a coach I cannot remember a team getting 50 rebounds and 20 of them under our basket... The lack of size is not because our players cannot block their people under the basket or do not follow my instructions, they simply have not enough physical capacity. Spaniards have 3 players who are taller than our big guys more than 10 cm and weigh 20 kg more. Even if we block our players, they simply push us under the rim with their physical force. In Lithuania we have no 1986-born players who could be equal to Greeks and Spaniards under the rim. But complaints aside - we are playing fast, "light" basketball.

We are not really catching the ball with 2 hands, only keeping beating the ball to each other (as in volleyball) because there is no chance to catch the ball - the rivals are much taller than us. Although the tallest player in our team Vilmantas Dilys is only 206 cm, we score many points from under the basket. Palyers fulfill all my instructions, except blocking their oponents under the rim. I am forced to make Vilmantas Dilys play as a center - the position he never had in his life, simply because he is the tallest.

He always played as a light forward. The guy tries hard, is fighting with 130kg heavy oponents. He understands that there is no other position I can offer him in this team...

Almost everone is saying that the main favourites for the title are Turks?

Yes, Turkey is one of the title favourites, but their team is "not real". When we looked the match of Turks on TV, our guard Martynas Pocius saw one player on the Turkish NT and said: "He has been studying at my high school in the US and he is born in 1983". However, only players born in 1986 or later can particiapte in the tournament. It is not a secret to anyone that Turks fake players' passports, and even players who are 2-3 older than allowed participate in their U20 NT. Everyone knows the countries who do similar tricks.

For the Turks - separate rules

Are you happy with the way this championsip is organized?

No, this championship is organized extremely poorly. On one side of court the rim is brown and leaning on one side, while the other one is red... The rims are fixed with some strange ropes and they hardly keep on stand. I told to the commissioner of the games that teams cannot play under such conditions - the rims simply do not fulfill the basic requirements.

According to the official FIBA rules, the net on the basket should be 40-45 cm long, these ones are clearly way too long. The referees from Russia and Belarus have both confirmed this. It is a pity that no one pays attention to what we are saying. Before the championship FibaEurope confirmed the entire schedule, but the organizers indulge Tursks on every occasion.

On Sunday evening the Turks "unexpectedly" (they all declare that "expectedly") lost to Russians. If Turks got the victory, they would have played in our group, btu after the loss they got into another one. On Monday, our training session was supposed to start at 12, but at 9 am we found out that it would take place at 10... We did not go for breakfast as we expected the training to take place at 12.

The evening training session had to take place at 7 pm, but it was transferred to 5 pm. The organizers have shuffled all the things in the night from Sunday to Monday so that it all is mor convenient to the Turks. All the teams are very dissatisfied with this. The Croats played their game Sunday late in the evening, and had their training session Monday early in the morning at 8 am.

The coaches of Croatian team were cursing the Turks who changed everything in the middle of the night. Everybody is unhappy, but nobody of the organizers takes care. I saw that Vassilaopoulos has arrived, I will try to approach him with my remarks. 15 countries had to adjust to the schedule changed by Turks, something they were not supposed to do.

My assistant coach Mindaugas Lukosius was joking that if Turks take 3rd place in the group, the whole championship system will be changed! The Turks cannot imagine any other place than first.

From what I have seen as a player and as a coach, this is one of the worst championships. Until Monday we had neither the lists with other teams players, nor other information, which is a usual thing to get in all other championships. We are playing like in some Lithuanian village tournament. The Turks will organize the 2010 World championship, they organized the Eurobasket for women. I am shocked how everything is allowed to them.

--------
    material for your consideration
    Last edited by Civilis; 07-19-2006, 08:55 AM.

1- In this generation, apart from Ersan Ilyasova, there's no doubt on any other player's birth date. They're precise to the day.

2- if Turkey wins a medal, it won't be because of tricks. They were in the finals and won some of them in many other European cities. what about that? Besides, there's no pressure on them, no one is demanding a title. I don't know if 5% of population is aware of this tournament - they prefer watching a friendly football game between Besiktas and some 3rd league German team. So it's not as important as you may think. If they get it, ok. if not, no one cares. This is not senior level.

3- Organization could be poor, I don't know, but I'm not surprised to hear that. It's not a specialty for Lithuanians or other teams, even our teams also suffer these problems all the time.

it's quite understandable that some people may complain about the organization, procedures, attention or weather, etc; but to slander about a team's success/performance on this basis is rather far fetched and not fair. Please do not make irrelevant conclusions! Maybe he was searching for excuses for his teams poor performance, I don't know.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

no comments...
      One day the tides will turn
      One day the fields will burn
      One day the seas will churn
      The fury of our maker’s hand

Comment

Originally posted by adebisi

no comments...
        This makes you feel better, right? You're not angry with the coach any more. That's the point!

Comment

Originally posted by sariss
          This makes you feel better, right? You're not angry with the coach any more. That's the point!
          I was never angry on Kurtinaitis
          And my previuos post was without any point, just first impresion after reading the interview

Comment

it's quite understandable that some people may complain about the organization, procedures, attention or weather, etc; but to slander about a team's success/performance on this basis is rather far fetched and not fair. Please do not make irrelevant conclusions! Maybe he was searching for excuses for his teams poor performance, I don't know.
            Actually, Kurtis does not complain at all about his team's performance, which was pretty fine before the yesterday's game (an interview taken before game with Serbia).

I sometimes feel we have too much of South and East European bureaucratic gang in Fiba... We should put some person from the "basketball neutral" and non-corrupt Scandinavian country to the leading positions in FibaEurope. With all the respect to wonderfully warm and beautiful countries such as Greece or Turkey, their representatives are realy not the best ones at running the organization for the whole Europe... It is very likely that the upcoming FibaEurope president (in four years) after Vassilakopoulos will be highly influential Turkish Vicepresident (Demirel?).

It is all about politics and the relationship building, and, let's admit, our Southern friends are much better at it than us, "cold blooded North Europeans"
            Last edited by Civilis; 07-19-2006, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Civilis
              Yes, Turkey is one of the title favourites, but their team is "not real". When we looked the match of Turks on TV, our guard Martynas Pocius saw one player on the Turkish NT and said: "He has been studying at my high school in the US and he is born in 1983".
              Who is Pocius referring to? Ilyasova? But has Ilyasova studied in a US high school? Who is it then?
              The Euroleague Organization and Mr Bertomeu are like the Bulgarian Government: corrupt, partially stupid, and a huge underestimator of people's intelligence.

Comment

Yes Civilis, you're right about Demirel and FibaEurope relations. And you know what? almost no one - no one that cares about Turkish bball - likes him and his actions as the federation president. There was a big chaos in the last election. But he's there, unfortunately. You can see lots of threads cursing about his policies in Turkish boards. As I already said, I'm not surprised to hear that the organization is poor.

But this is something, and saying that, "hey, Turks wanna win this tournament and they're doing everything necessary for this purpose" is some other thing! Blame the organization, declare it, you have right to do so, and you should!
                but please do not say they did not win on the court. It's not relevant and it's unfair for the players, who have proven themselves already in many other grounds.

I would sincerely prefer having a "deserved" 10th place to a "bought/prepared" 1st place.

Comment

Originally posted by Juan Carlos Nadal
                  Who is Pocius referring to? Ilyasova? But has Ilyasova studied in a US high school? Who is it then?
                  I know that Pocius was studying in Holderness High School and I can not find any player from Turks roster who was playing in U.S. in the same Hgh School... Strange...

Comment

Originally posted by adebisi
                    I know that Pocius was studying in Holderness High School and I can not find any player from Turks roster who was playing in U.S. in the same Hgh School... Strange...
                    Here, I would have to specify my loose translation from Lithuanian. M.Pocius said "I was studying with him back in the US. He is born in 1983". I assumed it was high-school (no Turks in Duke, and Pocius finished American high school), but maybe I was wrong.
                    Last edited by Civilis; 07-19-2006, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Yes Civilis, you're right about Demirel and FibaEurope relations. And you know what? almost no one - no one that cares about Turkish bball - likes him and his actions as the federation president. There was a big chaos in the last election. But he's there, unfortunately. You can see lots of threads cursing about his policies in Turkish boards. As I already said, I'm not surprised to hear that the organization is poor.

But this is something, and saying that, "hey, Turks wanna win this tournament and they're doing everything necessary for this purpose" is some other thing! Blame the organization, declare it, you have right to do so, and you should!
                      but please do not say they did not win on the court. It's not relevant and it's unfair for the players, who have proven themselves already in many other grounds.

I would sincerely prefer having a "deserved" 10th place to a "bought/prepared" 1st place.
                      Of course, we should not generalize the Turkish basketball and organization skills based on one specific top official. It may happen everywhere (we all in each country have some energetic professionals as well as bureaucratic "nomenklatura" type of people in basketball).

I only join you in a wish that Turkey takes the deserved place, and it does not mean that 1st place is impossible (given the potential of the rising basketball country), but fair play / organization is very welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Civilis
                        I only join you in a wish that Turkey takes the deserved place, and it does not mean that 1st place is impossible (given the potential of the rising basketball country), but fair play / organization is very welcome.
                        That's the most important thing! this is what I've always fought for in Turkish boards (sometimes gained enemies, and had to resign from membership). I know we have to improve a lot in this respect, and I copied this interview to a Turkish board, admitting that it remarks important points.

You know to what my reaction was. The conclusions regarding the team itself were far-fetched. Otherwise, I believe you did a good job in bring this organization issue on the table.

Comment

It's worldwide known that Turk players are changing their passports like their underwear.

Comment

a

Yes, Turkey is one of the title favourites, but their team is "not real". When we looked the match of Turks on TV, our guard Martynas Pocius saw one player on the Turkish NT and said: "He has been studying at my high school in the US and he is born in 1983". However, only players born in 1986 or later can particiapte in the tournament. It is not a secret to anyone that Turks fake players' passports, and even players who are 2-3 older than allowed participate in their U20 NT. Everyone knows the countries who do similar tricks.
                            Unreliable bullsh.it. I know all the players in this age group. None, I repeat none of them has studied high school in the United States. And to re-iterate a point Sariss made, there's no doubt on any other player's birth date. They're precise to the day.

On Sunday evening the Turks "unexpectedly" (they all declare that "expectedly") lost to Russians. If Turks got the victory, they would have played in our group, btu after the loss they got into another one.

I don't see the relevance. What does this have to do with Lithuania's loss?

The Turks will organize the 2010 World championship, they organized the Eurobasket for women. I am shocked how everything is allowed to them.

Yet another proof that Lithuanians are the most arrogant group of people I've come by.

Comment

Originally posted by critter out on a walk
                              The Turks will organize the 2010 World championship, they organized the Eurobasket for women. I am shocked how everything is allowed to them.

Yet another proof that Lithuanians are the most arrogant group of people I've come by.
                              There is no need to generalize just because some coach has done so.

Play ball.
                              Unicajism (or Unicajian Performance Fluctuation Syndrome: UPFS) in all its glory

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information