No announcement yet.

Lithuanian Point Guards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jokubaitis definitely need to leave barca and join a different team where he would be getting at least 20mpg asap, its just a question if he wants to do it. i wouldnt even rule out him coming back to zalgiris, i dont think any other team could offer him a bigger role than zalgiris would. maybe he can admit he made a mistake and come back for a season or 2 to show he's capable of being an elite euroleague guard, build up confidence and value to try again on a bigger team

Comment

• Originally posted by zalias View Post
      jokubaitis definitely need to leave barca and join a different team where he would be getting at least 20mpg asap, its just a question if he wants to do it. i wouldnt even rule out him coming back to zalgiris, i dont think any other team could offer him a bigger role than zalgiris would. maybe he can admit he made a mistake and come back for a season or 2 to show he's capable of being an elite euroleague guard, build up confidence and value to try again on a bigger team
      I think that's highly unlikely. Jokubaitis is still No.1 EL PG prospect and that goes by far. None other is even close in terms of skill, IQ, talent, positional toughness combination. Maybe some Nico Mannion could be a competition, but he's just a non contact nifty scorer compared to Jokubaitis, not nearly as versatile in terms of intangibles. Ziga Samar could probably be a competition, he's just as good facilitator, but he's not nearly as talented scorer as Jokubaitis.

Soon there will be Nunez in EL as the same calibre PG in EL if he won't go to NBA directly, but ATM Jokubaitis is the brightest young PG playing in Europe. Meaning there would be plenty of EL teams that would want to take him. He's either going to NBA or playing for top EL clubs, unless some huuggeee declining arc in his career which I don't see happening.

With that said, I do think free summer would help him. I hope he won't have it soon though, but 2024 is very likely to be free except Olympic qualification tournament. He would benefit a lot clearing his head and working on individual skill. A little bit of more polishing and extra physical preparation/freshness and he will be ready to explode in Europe being around 24yo.

Here's his highlights of recent game:

LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
      Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
      Buzelis, Lelevicius
      Murauskas, Sirvydis
      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
        I think that's highly unlikely. Jokubaitis is still No.1 EL PG prospect and that goes by far. None other is even close in terms of skill, IQ, talent, positional toughness combination. Maybe some Nico Mannion could be a competition, but he's just a non contact nifty scorer compared to Jokubaitis, not nearly as versatile in terms of intangibles. Ziga Samar could probably be a competition, he's just as good facilitator, but he's not nearly as talented scorer as Jokubaitis.

Soon there will be Nunez in EL as the same calibre PG in EL if he won't go to NBA directly, but ATM Jokubaitis is the brightest young PG playing in Europe. Meaning there would be plenty of EL teams that would want to take him. He's either going to NBA or playing for top EL clubs, unless some huuggeee declining arc in his career which I don't see happening.

With that said, I do think free summer would help him. I hope he won't have it soon though, but 2024 is very likely to be free except Olympic qualification tournament. He would benefit a lot clearing his head and working on individual skill. A little bit of more polishing and extra physical preparation/freshness and he will be ready to explode in Europe being around 24yo.

Here's his highlights of recent game:

https://twitter.com/Kivi015/status/1619807226583195650
        Euroleague teams couldnt care less about who is the best whatever prospect. They only want you to contribute. If you can, everything is fine, if not then you will play less minutes but when you say that there is need for any point guard because of the lack then its a different story but this doesnt change the fact that zalias is correct. He will have to spend times as a primary decision maker if he wants to achieve top level.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toruko View Post
          Euroleague teams couldnt care less about who is the best whatever prospect. They only want you to contribute. If you can, everything is fine, if not then you will play less minutes but when you say that there is need for any point guard because of the lack then its a different story but this doesnt change the fact that zalias is correct. He will have to spend times as a primary decision maker if he wants to achieve top level.
          Well, look, there's many ways to become true dominant, elite PG in Europe.

Jasikevicius truly exploded in EL only with 03/04 season with Maccabi, when he was unleashed for 30mpg, dropping 16ppg, 16eff. At that time he was 27yo. OK, one could spot his first successful season with Barca 00/01, when he played 28mpg, 14ppg, 14eff, but that wasn't yet true brake out. 2 disappointing seasons with Barca followed (minutes and numbers dropped), very bad assist/tos ratio like 3.4apg/2.9to in 01/02. He became a true elite only in his prime.

(A little off topic. I actually surprised how poor assists collector Saras was during his career. In NT he was much more dominant at this point, while playing in top EL clubs you usually share same time on the court with other good passers, good decision makers. That probably explains a thing, or maybe Saras was a little bit overrated as facilitator. I mean even in his prime, 04/05 Maccabi, he has only 5.3apg and 3TOs, playing 31min. His EL career is 3.3apg, 2.3tos. That's not good. F.e. 21yo Jokubaitis last season had 2.6apg, 1.7to in just 16min.)

Dando De Colo also had to wait till his 24-25yo to start getting real minutes for top clubs. In other words, give Jokubaitis few more seasons and he will most likely be ready to play 25+ minutes and to contribute significantly. His decision to leave Zalgiris is highly controversial, like he had 2 great options, but nevertheless he's still is way ahead of most young Euro point guards, likely including NBA guys too...(We seen were Maledon stands today after his NBA journey...).

Buzelis, Lelevicius
          Murauskas, Sirvydis
          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
            Well, look, there's many ways to become true dominant, elite PG in Europe.

Jasikevicius truly exploded in EL only with 03/04 season with Maccabi, when he was unleashed for 30mpg, dropping 16ppg, 16eff. At that time he was 27yo. OK, one could spot his first successful season with Barca 00/01, when he played 28mpg, 14ppg, 14eff, but that wasn't yet true brake out. 2 disappointing seasons with Barca followed (minutes and numbers dropped), very bad assist/tos ratio like 3.4apg/2.9to in 01/02. He became a true elite only in his prime.

(A little off topic. I actually surprised how poor assists collector Saras was during his career. In NT he was much more dominant at this point, while playing in top EL clubs you usually share same time on the court with other good passers, good decision makers. That probably explains a thing, or maybe Saras was a little bit overrated as facilitator. I mean even in his prime, 04/05 Maccabi, he has only 5.3apg and 3TOs, playing 31min. His EL career is 3.3apg, 2.3tos. That's not good. F.e. 21yo Jokubaitis last season had 2.6apg, 1.7to in just 16min.)

Dando De Colo also had to wait till his 24-25yo to start getting real minutes for top clubs. In other words, give Jokubaitis few more seasons and he will most likely be ready to play 25+ minutes and to contribute significantly. His decision to leave Zalgiris is highly controversial, like he had 2 great options, but nevertheless he's still is way ahead of most young Euro point guards, likely including NBA guys too...(We seen were Maledon stands today after his NBA journey...).
            It must feel like a step down for you seeing him in Zalgiris again but it is not. He had 2-3 solid seasons with solid guards. He has taken as much as he could so far now its time being the main guy and there is no other team than Zalgiris which is willing to give him that role. Of course you can wait him to have his breakout season with 27-28 but you there is also the problem that he never gets this role in a high level team. If he had a very good season like Grigonis 2 years ago it would lift him up to a top European team but not just as a 10-15 minutes guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toruko View Post
              It must feel like a step down for you seeing him in Zalgiris again but it is not. He had 2-3 solid seasons with solid guards. He has taken as much as he could so far now its time being the main guy and there is no other team than Zalgiris which is willing to give him that role. Of course you can wait him to have his breakout season with 27-28 but you there is also the problem that he never gets this role in a high level team. If he had a very good season like Grigonis 2 years ago it would lift him up to a top European team but not just as a 10-15 minutes guy.
              My point is that Jokubaitis is too good to come back to Zalgiris. I mean he is contributing for Final 4 team and still very very young. It's not even the case of some Evans and Maccabi. Evans was having a minor role (lesser than he deserved) for a trash team - Maccabi. OK, it's not a trash team, don't get too sensitive Maccabi fans if reading But it's mediocre team. Besides, it wasn't even Evans decision, Maccabi simply overlooked him and let him go. Jokubaitis won EL Rising Star award, he made bunch of big clutch plays, he was finishing most of the regular season games last season. For him it's only looking further AT THIS LEVEL. Going back to average club would be a step back in terms of prestige without a question. It's only an option when you are "fucked" at this elite level like Barca and Jokubaitis is not, specially when you take both seasons into perspective and how he's looking in ACB. Jokubaitis would get a contract in Zalgiris even if he ended up being a bum on the streets for 2 years. Despite the fact his role didn't increase this season and he had a slump, he still improved his assists numbers, he still improved his assists/tos ratio, he's more dominant in ACB than last season. I think he's in the situation when he should simply wait a year or two and he will brake out. He won't even need to wait for his 26/27, IMO. And that's without stepping back to lower level. I Jokubaitis will do that, I will see this as "serious issues happened in Barca" like complete stangnation of development (which is not the case) or some huge issues with working ethics/discipline...

Yeah, it would be nice to play 26mpg in current Zalgiris, but it would be a step back however you see...Like you tried to make it for elite club and you failed it. You may come back, but most don't after such things.

Comparison with Grigonis is unfair. Grigonis is completely different tier player. He ain't no played for Barca as 20yo. He was ruled out by super trashy Zalgiris as 20yo looking completely lost out there. So he headed to bottom teams of ACB and need to get 24 to get his first chances in EL. Jokubaitis is completely different level prospect.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
              Murauskas, Sirvydis
              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Jasikevicius after 2000 Olympics was well known for entire basketball world.

Saying that he has break through only in 2003/2004 its looking at stats blindly with no historical knowledge what was happening in those days in basketball.

Ask saras about Pesic and we can easily imagine why he was only so so in 2001-2003 and few months later in 2003 suddenly become eurobasket MVP.

Who watched basketball games knows for Saras 2000 was breakthrough year. When his leaded ltu almost beat USA and was main PG of Barcelona in 2000/2001 season.

Dinosour expert i dont suggest u write and compare somebody from past,very limited knowledge about that

Better do your future horoscope predictions

Comment

• Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
                  Jasikevicius after 2000 Olympics was well known for entire basketball world.

Saying that he has break through only in 2003/2004 its looking at stats blindly with no historical knowledge what was happening in those days in basketball.

Ask saras about Pesic and we can easily imagine why he was only so so in 2001-2003 and few months later in 2003 suddenly become eurobasket MVP.

Who watched basketball games knows for Saras 2000 was breakthrough year. When his leaded ltu almost beat USA and was main PG of Barcelona in 2000/2001 season.

Dinosour expert i dont suggest u write and compare somebody from past,very limited knowledge about that

Better do your future horoscope predictions
                  It's really funny how you take any contra-argument against me as some sort personal victory and dishing it with offensively imposing name giving and cingey didactic line You do understand that this way you only demonstrate you inferiority complex which you try to mask with superiority complex and or at the best case scenario look like uneducated person, don't you? You're like a little boy shouting "I know better than you"

Anyway, it's one of ways to look at it. I mentioned my self 00/01 and you do know I said few days before (and not the first time) that Saras broke out in NT 2000 and he lifted NT to another level this way. But when you use this argument, remember 2001 struggle too...Saras sucked then and came in bad shape (also shitty camp location/time set up by federation, but he simply sucked generally). One can blame Pesic (we can also blame Saras this season for trusting Rokas too little in EL this season, specially knowing how bad is Satoransky in 4th quarters), but Jasikevicius had his up and downs since 2000 and he remained truly dominant and consistent only since 03/04. Also, have in mind, Jasikevicius 2003 is surely >>> 2000. Saras in 2000 Olympics had very bleak group stage and broke out only in knock out stage. In 2003 Jasikevicius already controlled everything, from day 1 to the final. All the weels was in his hands. I do believe that to certain extent Saras is very much a late bloomer. His best career happened during his 26-35. I mean when he was 34, he was dropping double digits for PAO in PO and nailing 19pts in the final.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                  Murauskas, Sirvydis
                  Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• OK, to be completely fair, Saras had his certain struggles 09/10 with PAO, I think it was because of some sort of injury or something, can't precisely remember than, and he was forced to come back to Rytas, but very quickly he got in shape again and found the spot in Fener and later came back to PAO. So that was a slump. And maybe that kind rules out by thesis that it's not good to come back to such places as Zalgiris/Rytas if you were in elite already Well, it worked for Saras that time...

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                    Murauskas, Sirvydis
                    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Jokubaitis becomes 3rd youngest EL player to reach 400PIR. Abrines name there on other hand a bit worrisome

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                      Murauskas, Sirvydis
                      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Last 3 games of Jokubaitis in ACB - 24mpg, 14,6ppg, 5apg, 20eff.

Including close and tough win against Valencia tonight. It only shows how good unleashed Jokubaitis can be. He would be cooking good numbers in Zalgiris playing 26mpg.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                        Murauskas, Sirvydis
                        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Jasikevicius on Jokubaiits: https://twitter.com/cesaremilanti/st...06664926920704

In recent interview Jokubaitis gave this on upcoming WC:

"The biggest reserve - we will know how to deal with the crucial situations down the stretch. That will be the key to success. Two summers in a row we won't want to repeat that"

If only he knew that it goes since 2019

Rokas Jokubaitis antrąjį savo sezoną „Barcelonoje“ pradėjo taip, kad Lietuvoje pradėta nuogąstauti dėl pagrindinio rinktinės aikštės generolo tobulėjimo, o ir pats mažeikiškis nesijautė savimi. Viskas pasikeitė po Naujų metų – Jokubaitis vėl žydi ir žaidžia geriausią savo atkarpą Katalonijoje.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                          Murauskas, Sirvydis
                          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Yet again Jokubaitis will be The Rising Star. Last 2 months he's as good as last season and even better. Last 3 rounds in EL 11,3ppg, 14,3eff. He even exceeded Petrusev in this stretch. People asking for his name, but he is born before July1 2000, not eligible.

All candidates:

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                            Murauskas, Sirvydis
                            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Damn, Marciulionis is kept with the short leash. Even when he's lighting it up, he plays only 15min. 3/4 threes, 11pts. He should consider something. Third season (next year) playing 15min would be huge disappointment. Jasikevicius got unleashed in his 3rd season, hopefully the same happens with Marciulionis.

Shooting form looks pretty good:

Vert interesting how his career will arc. ATM he's a sleeper, but he still has the package that is rare in Europe.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Jokubaitis "the closer" Finally he tuned up physically. He's in his best shape. Again Unicaja again had a good game, best +/- on the team, but Saras benched him the 4th quarter because of some defensive mistakes, despite all Barca's guards struggling to guard that night. ACB is dope. Unicaja took down Barca with last possession game. Real nearly survived. ACB is dope, there like 8 EL level teams nearly.

Saras' market value continues to decline?

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                                Murauskas, Sirvydis
                                Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information