X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Comment

• Dirk really has impressed me with how he has grown as a player at this stage in his career. There are not many guys who continue to be one of the top handful of players when they get to 32+ years of age, usually guys see a precipitous drop in their numbers.

But Dirk continues to work on his game. To the untrained eye his stats looked lower this year but in reality he was more or just as efficient as any recent year.

Comment

• Sacramento Kings
        HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

• Dirk living the dream back in Germany with a heroic welcome

Comment

• Nowtizki jokes about Lockout

“I was wondering since there is a lockout, am I still allowed to watch NBA-TV, Or maybe that’s a fine.”
            It has been re-tweeted a number of times.
            Sacramento Kings

Comment

• Originally posted by Saskibaloia View Post
              When I think of the Greatest Power Forwards of All Time, of course I think of Timmy D straight away, followed by the rest: Charles, Karl, KG, McHale and Drik.

However, after this amazing performance of Dirk I come to realise that this lad from Germany could be in the top 3 Power Forwards of All Time.

He's obviously in the Top 6 though anyone now could argue to put him in the top 3.

Previously, majority of fans would say Timmy D followed by Charles or Karl.

However, neither of the two won a championship.

On the flip side, those who do not believe that Dirk belongs in the Top 3 could make a case that the German Bomber's defense is sub-par compared to KG, Charles and to a certain extent the "Mailman".

Is he in the Top 3?

I say he's definitely in the Top 5 but Top 3, not yet as his defensive weakness hampered the case that he was a complete player like Karl and Sir Charles.
              I was thinking more about Dirk's place in NBA history tonight and thought I'd drop an opinion on this thread.

The man is an amazing player and in many respects hasn't gotten enough credit previously for how great he is. Critics called him soft and said he couldn't win the big one after Dallas wilted in the '06 Finals. That argument was weak then and is weak now and that's what makes his winning a championship and validating his place in history so much better. In the first hald of the 2000-2010 decade a young Nowitzki had an all star supporting cast (Nash, Finley, Jamison) and they made some noise in the playoffs but never could 'break through' to the true elite teams of those years.

In the latter half of the decade Nash left via free agency and Dirk found himself the true undisputed leader and centerpiece of the Mavs. Almost counterintuitively, the Mavs got better with less all stars and I believe it was because Dirk was in his prime and they were able to build around him as the primary option. His numbers saw an uptick in efficiency starting in 2005 (he actually became a member of the vaunted 50-40-90 club in the '06-07 season) and the Mavs thrived becoming one of the league's true elite teams.

I believe the '05-'06 and '06-'07 years were his most productive and his most efficient and it is a shame the Mavs did not win a title or two then because we would probably be talking about Dirk as a top 10 player of all time instead of a top 15-25 player of all time. And that's where he falls IMO, one of the greatest 15-25 players ever and he may be moving up the list next year. Anyways, he doesn't get enough credit for those mid 2000s seasons, he was absolutely DOMINANT.

Side related note- A core elite number of players can lead their teams to championships but the elite of the elite are the only ones who can consistently make their teams one of the best in the league without all stars or a superb supporting cast around them. And now Dirk is one of those few.

Comment

• Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
                Not that crazy
                Then I advise you to check out this tattoo

Comment

• SPIEGEL Interview with NBA Star Dirk Nowitzki
                  'Who Knows If My Way Is the Right One?'

NBA star Dirk Nowitzki finally has his championship after 13 years in the United States. SPIEGEL spoke to the German athlete about stage fright, the politics of basketball and an unexpected gift from Muhammad Ali.

SPIEGEL: Mr. Nowitzki, you are sitting here in the city hall of Würzburg and there are 10,000 fans of yours waiting outside. How does a shy person like yourself react to such a reception?

Nowitzki: It is a nice feeling. But it all seems so unreal to me. Since the final whistle in the last final game against Miami, my life seems to be rushing past -- party, parade, party, parade. I can't do it for much longer. I am experiencing it all for the second time within just a few days -- first in America and now in Germany.

SPIEGEL: Which of the two worlds do you feel closer to?

Nowitzki: It feels different. Of course it fills me with pride to hear that fans in Germany got up at 2 a.m. to watch our games and that they celebrated the championship in my hometown of Würzburg as if Germany had just won the football World Cup.

SPIEGEL: But?

Nowitzki: But soon I will have lived in America for 13 years. At the beginning I was condescended to and laughed at. "The nice boy from Germany will never make it," people said. Still, I never gave up. Now, I have been celebrated by 250,000 people in Dallas at the championship parade. That was an unbelievably intense feeling. I trembled.

SPIEGEL: You are now a German-American idol .

Nowitzki: To be honest, I slowly have the feeling that I'm not cut out for such moments.

SPIEGEL: What do you mean?

Nowitzki: Well, at the very least I don't behave terribly competently. I feel ashamed when the entire focus is on me. I think people can see that. In public appearances, I am stiff as a board.

SPIEGEL: You were chosen as the most valuable player of the finals. The fans see you as the player who led the Dallas Mavericks to the title. Does the sudden affection of American fans make you uncomfortable?

Nowitzki: I don't think that I played all that exceptionally in the finals. If we hadn't played so well together as a team, it would have been disastrous. When the whistle blew to end the sixth and decisive game, blood rushed to my head. Without even thinking about what I was doing, I ran toward the locker room.

SPIEGEL: The game was still going on when you fled. There were still a couple of seconds on the clock.

Nowitzki: I only know that many of our PR people ran after me. They yelled: "Stay here. You can't do that. The trophy is going to be presented." I said: "I don't want it." I got into the shower, pressed my face into a towel and began to cry. Then I heard them yelling again. "Dirk!" I said: "They should give it to someone else." Not exactly worthy of a champion, is it?

SPIEGEL: After you calmed down, you received the trophy as a team captain should.

Nowitzki: Yes, thank God. It was close.

SPIEGEL: US President Barack Obama, himself a big basketball fan, later congratulated you.

Nowitzki: Mr. Obama called our coach Rick Carlisle shortly after the game. He invited the team to Washington. What he didn't know is that we already took part in a tour through the White House two years ago. At the time, he was busy in the Oval Office. This time, he won't be able to avoid us. No, seriously: The visit to Mr. Obama is an honor for us, a big deal. Not just because he knows about basketball.

SPIEGEL: Why else?

Nowitzki: Because we can identify with him. When Barack Obama was inaugurated two-and-a-half years ago, we were getting ready for an away game. We delayed an extra practice so that we could watch his inaugural speech live on television. Everyone on the team was happy that he had made it.

SPIEGEL: You sound like an American patriot.

Nowitzki: I consider myself to be more a universal kind of guy. When something grabs me, nationality doesn't matter. And the election of Barack Obama grabbed me. It wasn't a foregone conclusion that a black president would one day govern America.

SPIEGEL: The NBA is dominated by black players. Now you, a white player from the German middle class, have led your team to a championship. Some in the American media have compared your success to Obama's election victory. Can you see the parallels?

Nowitzki: Such comparisons are foreign to me. I don't think in categories of black and white.

SPIEGEL: Are you afraid of being turned into a symbol?

Nowitzki: Politics and sports are two distinct domains for me. That's how I was raised. And if I hadn't always adhered to that belief, I wouldn't be where I am today.

SPIEGEL: Is your new role as a role model for America too big?

Nowitzki: Not if it has only to do with my sport. Every young player can ask me for advice. I like giving guidance. It is this principle which guides me as the captain of the Mavericks. I am not the type to turn on music in the locker room or to hold long speeches. Others can play the clown. But I am always approachable, for everybody. Still, I'm also not going to play the big man and try to convert other players. Who knows if my way is the right one?

SPIEGEL: After your victory in the finals, US papers printed a photo-montage showing you as a nanny with black babies on your arm. The children bore the faces of star players like LeBron James and Dwyane Wade, among others, both of whom are known for their luxurious lifestyles. Is it now your duty to educate such players?

Nowitzki: Of course not. American basketball needs players like James and Wade, but the NBA also needs down-to-earth people like me. We players are all part of a show, and it only works in the long term if there is variety, when there is something there for everybody.

SPIEGEL: You have long been reserved when it comes to sponsoring gigs. Is that going to change in the future?

Nowitzki: There certainly isn't a shortage of offers. You wouldn't believe how many watch manufacturers have sent me their models. Just like that. I give them all away. I am satisfied with what I have. How crazy do you have to be when you can afford everything but still clutter up your life with all sorts of advertising appointments? No thanks.

Part 2: 'I Don't Like Being Alone'

SPIEGEL: Did any German politicians call to congratulate you?

Nowitzki: I think that (German Chancellor) Angela Merkel called my adviser. I'm not totally sure. But do you know what made me the happiest?

SPIEGEL: What?

Nowitzki: Muhammad Ali sent me a package.

SPIEGEL: What was in it?

Nowitzki: A boxing glove with the inscription: "You are the greatest." Please don't ask me immediately about the political meaning of the gift. I was simply happy and sent Ali a golden basketball with a similar inscription.

SPIEGEL: At the end of August, the European basketball championships are beginning in Lithuania. Are you going to play for the German national team?

Nowitzki: It looks that way. Assuming that I finally get healthy. I have been carrying a flu bug around with me for four weeks. It makes no sense to play in the European championships if I am only halfway healthy. Neither for me nor for my team mates.

SPIEGEL: The tournament also serves as the qualification for the Olympic Games in London in 2012.

Nowitzki: And that's why I definitely want to play. I don't want to ruin the others' chances of participating in the Olympics. To qualify, we have to finish at least sixth at the European championships.

SPIEGEL: The NBA is currently experiencing a labor dispute and as yet, no agreement between the players and the owners has been reached. There is a real possibility that there will be no NBA season next year. There are rumors that you would consider playing in the German league in such a situation.

Nowitzki: Hopefully it won't come to that. I am certain that an agreement will be reached and that I will play another three or four years for the Mavericks at the highest level before I end my career in America.

SPIEGEL: You have a long season behind you. How are you going to get fit before the European championships?

Nowitzki: First of all, I am going on vacation together with my girlfriend. I am happy that she is at my side. I don't like being alone. I plan to occupy myself with things other than basketball, like drums, for example. It would be too bad if all the lessons that I have taken were wasted.

SPIEGEL: Do you play well?

Nowitzki: Well, it's difficult. You have to achieve a certain amount of motor independence when drumming. Your hands have to ignore what your feet are doing and you can't allow them to get in the way of each other. But if I could learn to do that, it would really help my basketball. If I had known that before, I would have taken up the drums much earlier.

SPIEGEL: Mr. Nowitzki, thank you very much for this interview.

Interview conducted by Cathrin Gilbert
                  NBA star Dirk Nowitzki finally has his championship after 13 years in the United States. SPIEGEL spoke to the German athlete about stage fright, the politics of basketball and an unexpected gift from Muhammad Ali.
                  Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                  Artificial Nature

Comment

• Dirk Nowitzki won the Best NBA Player Award and Best Male Athlete Award at the 2011 ESPY Awards. The Dallas Mavericks won also the Best Team Award.

Sacramento Kings

Comment

• Dirk Nowitzky Academy of Awkward Basketball

Here is a lovely video about Dirk Nowitzky

Comment

• Second cousin Juergen looks like he could be related to Dirk though... hahahaha
                        aim low, score high

Comment

• Both, Dirk Nowitzki and Chris Kaman have announced that they will play for Germany at the upcoming Euro Champs. They will join the team mid of August.

Comment

• [English or provide translation]
                            Last edited by rikhardur; 07-23-2011, 03:10 PM.

Comment

• Dirk's a marketing icon that doesn't market
                              By Matt Moore

Dirk Nowitzki isn't marketing his brand. He's not extending into new consumer base opportunities. He's not driving to become an opinion-maker. Dirk Nowitzki isn't focusing on becoming a global entity. He's just a basketball player. But it turns out, he's pretty much the most marketable and likeable star out there. From Yahoo! Sports:

Nowitzki, a 10-time NBA All-Star, has an N-Score of 132, a whopping 59 percent higher than Kobe Bryant's 83.

The N-Score measures name and image awareness, appeal and personality attributes such as sincerity, approachability, experience and influence, both at the U.S. national and local levels.

Despite the Mavericks star's popularity, without an agent or business manager, the pride of Wurzburg, Germany, doesn't seem motivated in cashing in on his profit-making potential.

via King Dirk: The New Master Of NBA Marketability | ThePostGame.

It makes sense, when you think about it. Dirk's humble, which everyone at least pretends is what they want out of their star when they talk about LeBron James (and ignores when it's anyone else). He's a champion, a Hall of Famer. He's lovable and has a certain amount of swagger (the "I'm That Dude" shirt, etc.). He's able to make fun of himself and is clutch as all get out.

It's just stirring for a guy who was a German enigma for so long, for a player who people struggled to understand and called into question for his supposed lack of toughness for so long to have come this far. It's not just that Nowitzki has made it to the top. It's that it's been such a long uphill trek for him.

It's also pretty entertaining that perhaps what makes Dirk so marketable is that he's shown no inclination to market himself. That sums things up nicely.
                              Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                              Artificial Nature

Comment

• Efes Pilsen World Cup 10 will be in İzmir (my city) this year, and Nowitzki will be there with German NT...
                                Watching him was my dream but it comes true...
                                Unbelievable...
                                Republic of FENERBAHÇE

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information