Future Big Men Of Philippine Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sroth3839 View Post
    6’7-6’8 Tweeners looks to be the standard bigs we can consistently produce this generation.
    ​Just as well, since we don't have many bigs above 6'8".

If you're that size as a big, you're better off as a tweener internationally. Not very big, but mobile and versatile on both ends. However, you can play as a 6'7"-6'8" big if you have a player that can combine the strength of June Mar, the mobility of Pingris, and the length of Japeth, because that's what we need from a 6'7"-6'8" big.

Comment

• 32K views, 77 likes, 18 comments, 3 shares, Facebook Reels from PBA: Game 2 between Magnolia and CAVITEX - 12 Under #BatangPBA2023 Tournament.

Saw this in Facebook. Playing 12 under in PBA.. back of jersey surname Miranda, he's huge. african or american dad i think. i hope gets tall.
      LA Clippers(bcoz of PG13)
      Morayta

Comment

• Originally posted by tootch View Post
        https://www.facebook.com/reel/621614...ibextid=Nif5oz

Saw this in Facebook. Playing 12 under in PBA.. back of jersey surname Miranda, he's huge. african or american dad i think. i hope gets tall.
        Real name is samuel james esomchi
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by IPC View Post

​Just as well, since we don't have many bigs above 6'8".

If you're that size as a big, you're better off as a tweener internationally. Not very big, but mobile and versatile on both ends. However, you can play as a 6'7"-6'8" big if you have a player that can combine the strength of June Mar, the mobility of Pingris, and the length of Japeth, because that's what we need from a 6'7"-6'8" big.
          I remember not so long ago how tweener has its negative connotation. Now it’s synonymous to versatile. Lol

Anyway, I am happy with what Mike Phillips has shown. I am optimistic he’d eventually get his exemption. Hopefully too, sooner than later.

Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Comment

• Originally posted by NOiNU View Post
            I remember not so long ago how tweener has its negative connotation. Now it’s synonymous to versatile. Lol

Anyway, I am happy with what Mike Phillips has shown. I am optimistic he’d eventually get his exemption. Hopefully too, sooner than later.

I think the bad tweener connotation started with the outside shooting bigs drafted high in hopes of finding the next Dirk. Yes some of them could shoot outside. But they were too slow to guard 4s and to weak to guard 5s or were bad rim protectors in the NBA. Currently, tweeners should be decent defensively. They can guard multiple positions. Hence, the connotation is not so bad anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rds View Post

I think the bad tweener connotation started with the outside shooting bigs drafted high in hopes of finding the next Dirk. Yes some of them could shoot outside. But they were too slow to guard 4s and to weak to guard 5s or were bad rim protectors in the NBA. Currently, tweeners should be decent defensively. They can guard multiple positions. Hence, the connotation is not so bad anymore.
              Precisely why the term tweeners is coined. They are players “caught in-between”. With the way the game is played now, the premium on versatility and positionless nature of some line ups, the word had taken an entirely new meaning.

Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Comment

• Originally posted by NOiNU View Post
                I remember not so long ago how tweener has its negative connotation. Now it's synonymous to versatile. Lol

Anyway, I am happy with what Mike Phillips has shown. I am optimistic he'd eventually get his exemption. Hopefully too, sooner than later.

Originally posted by Rds View Post
                Originally posted by NOiNU View Post
                Precisely why the term tweeners is coined. They are players "caught in-between";. With the way the game is played now, the premium on versatility and positionless nature of some line ups, the word had taken an entirely new meaning.
                Yeah, I became a hardcore basketball fan just as tweener was losing its old meaning (yeah, I'm one of the younger guys here). Draymond Green types were tweeners in the old days, but now, forwards who can defend multiple positions have become extremely valuable.

I'm just happy that versatile 6'6"-6'8" tweeners are becoming more commonplace in Philippine basketball. Hope they become the rule for our best bigs 6'8" and under. Some rim protection from tweeners would be gravy, though. Hahahahahaha.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rodbi View Post
                  CStand's recent quality is something to wish for for our homegrown 4's and 5's. He, along with Carl, has definitely become the template to base on. Hopefully in the next 5 years, more of our 6'6" and above guys become skilled like those 2.
                  And both CStand and Carl have some competence in switching.

Hope we get more 6'6"-6'8" bigs that are just as versatile as them, and hopefully even more versatile defensively.

Comment

• Guys, what's the update on young tall players like Ladis Lapalam, Jimly Lantaya, Ramon Salvoro?

I think it is Umpad that I saw playing for either EAC or Arellano U in the ongoing Fil-oil Flying V Preseason Cup.
                    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Guys, do U think Carl Tamayo has the potential to become the taller version of Ranidel Deocampo when the former reaches his peak?

They are almost of the same skillset eh. Although admittedly, RDO had the better shooting than Tamayo. But Tamayo is only 23 so his outside shooting may still improve. Like RDO, Tamayo is also tough & rugged at times. May pagka Dennis Espino rin itong si Tamayo. The thing is, Tamayo is about 2 inches taller than RDO.
                      "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                        Guys, what's the update on young tall players like Ladis Lapalam, Jimly Lantaya, Ramon Salvoro?

I think it is Umpad that I saw playing for either EAC or Arellano U in the ongoing Fil-oil Flying V Preseason Cup.
                        read that salvoro is retiring/will be on hiatus due to health issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                          Guys, do U think Carl Tamayo has the potential to become the taller version of Ranidel Deocampo when the former reaches his peak?

They are almost of the same skillset eh. Although admittedly, RDO had the better shooting than Tamayo. But Tamayo is only 23 so his outside shooting may still improve. Like RDO, Tamayo is also tough & rugged at times. May pagka Dennis Espino rin itong si Tamayo. The thing is, Tamayo is about 2 inches taller than RDO.
                          yeah that's the consensus opinion for the past 3 years

Comment

• Ranidel was more athletic, during his youth he used to slash and dunk, though carl might end up better due to having better competition

Comment

• Who are these next generation basketball players??

Comment

• Basketball Player profile

Name: Prince Cari

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information