No announcement yet.

Future Big Men Of Philippine Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• right now, if there are a couple of training facilities for transients, that would be a good thing for him. Hopefully he could test his skills and have a very competitive pick up game against top collegiate Aussie players there or even u-19 national team players.Going up against a couple of 6'2 unskilled kids and below is pointless.
    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex07 View Post
      right now, if there are a couple of training facilities for transients, that would be a good thing for him. Hopefully he could test his skills and have a very competitive pick up game against top collegiate Aussie players there or even u-19 national team players.Going up against a couple of 6'2 unskilled kids and below is pointless.
      collegiate league is not good here.. some of them went to US NCAA and NBL.. best one for him is to compete against some team b squad of some club in queensland
      Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by onggok View Post
        They asked Kevin Qiambao on his IG how tall he is now and he answered 6'8 now and I read an article on CNN Philippines they wrote he is 6'8 . I hope this is true because Kevin Qiambao for me he is better, bigger,has wider and muscular body and stronger than Karl Tamayo.
        My take is, Quiambao, at best is no taller than 6-foot-7. I think the 6-foot-8 alleged height of Quiambao is a padded height or his height wearing a pair of shoes.
        "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
          My take is, Quiambao, at best is no taller than 6-foot-7. I think the 6-foot-8 alleged height of Quiambao is a padded height or his height wearing a pair of shoes.
          Unless he’s grown in the past month or so he’s max 6’6

Also my opinion Carl Tamayo is the best Center in the jr division without Kai

Comment

• This kid is more skilled than Demisana and has decent mobility but he needs a better training environment and I don’t know if La Salle can provide that

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRodster21 View Post

This kid is more skilled than Demisana and has decent mobility but he needs a better training environment and I don’t know if La Salle can provide that
              Would be nice to see this kid having Chet Holmgren speed,agility,shooting,athleticism and handles. Take him to Terrence Romeo or Terrence Romeo's skills trainer, his shooting coach should be either Romeo of coach Allan Caidic.
              "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

Unless he’s grown in the past month or so he’s max 6’6

Also my opinion Carl Tamayo is the best Center in the jr division without Kai

not unless he's as tall as Tamayo now I think he is at best 6'7 with shoes.They probably considered Tamayo as power forward.Our big ( including Tamayo,Kirkness,Quiambao,Demisana,Raven Cortez etc.) have average athleticism, I wish there could be someone who could teach these kids how to improve their jumping ability and explosiveness. They should be having 3-4 days a week leg days.

Comment

This kid is more skilled than Demisana and has decent mobility but he needs a better training environment and I don’t know if La Salle can provide that
                  Amazing ball handling for a 6-foot-7 fifteen-year old kid. It looks like there has been a conscious effort to put special emphasis on ball handling in the way this kid was trained. If this kid ends up 6-foot-10 or taller, he could be a very good size "four" for the National team.
                  "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

Amazing ball handling for a 6-foot-7 fifteen-year old kid. It looks like there has been a conscious effort to put special emphasis on ball handling in the way this kid was trained. If this kid ends up 6-foot-10 or taller, he could be a very good size "four" for the National team.
                    Amazing in the sense that the kid plays locally but how long do you think will his school coaches allow him to play like that much less play the wing or guard position? It aint happening for long once he goes to college. Those skills will diminish and his high school and college coaches will be like: "Put@ng !n@ bakit ka nagdadala ng bola at tumitira sa labas??! Sa loob ka lang at mag boksout ka sa rebound 'nyeta!!!. LOL!

This is what I've been saying for some time now..we may not have had many 6'9" to 6'11" local pinoy kids...BUT we've had a plethora of 6'6" to 6'7" kids from the last 5 to 10 years who show raw potential when it comes to having guard/wing skills but end up being wasted or show no improvement and instead alot end up as weak; flat footed; one dimensional big men(Centers) when they become adult players. Why couldn't they have started out and developed their high school playing level like these two who are 6'5" to 6'7":

Caelum Harris:

Jayden Harper:

Both are 15, same age and height as kids like that Salvaro kid in the previous vid and Kobe Demisana yet they play like guards and small forwards. Sure they are half breds and genetics plays a role in their athletecism, but you don't need genetics to learn how to play as guards and small forwards at ther height. Then you have kids like Raven Cortez who many here envisioned to be a small forward type player but it hasn't happened as he is still forced to play as a Center on his team.

Of course this was a rhetorical question since we all know why kids like Salvaro and Demisana may never end up with skills like Harris and Harper. Especially if they stay here in the philippines.
                    Last edited by geohunk; 08-06-2020, 05:34 AM.
                    Originally posted by PeeZones
                    Kai is a top ten lottery pick come draft day and the best team for him is the spurs...Kai is way more skilled OFFENSIVELY than duncan, yao, aldridge, kp. etc..Kai is way better offensively than Porzingis by a mile...Kareem isnt really way far than Kai..decent bball IQ for both MJ and Kobe but Kai belongs to the highly skilled and high IQ players...I see talent clearly and they cant.

Comment

• Originally posted by geohunk View Post
                      Amazing in the sense that the kid plays locally but how long do you think will his school coaches allow him to play like that much less play the wing or guard position? It aint happening for long once he goes to college. Those skills will diminish and his high school and college coaches will be like: "Put@ng !n@ bakit ka nagdadala ng bola at tumitira sa labas??! Sa loob ka lang at mag boksout ka sa rebound 'nyeta!!!. LOL!

This is what I've been saying for some time now..we may not have had many 6'9" to 6'11" local pinoy kids...BUT we've had a plethora of 6'6" to 6'7" kids from the last 5 to 10 years who show raw potential when it comes to having guard/wing skills but end up being wasted or show no improvement and instead alot end up as weak; flat footed; one dimensional big men(Centers) when they become adult players. Why couldn't they have started out and developed their high school playing level like these two who are 6'5" to 6'7":
                      Great points bro.

That is why I don't expect Ramon Salvoro to play the 2 or 3 spot specially if he complete his studies here in the Philippines (high school & college). Nevertheless, if he ends up standing 6-foot-9 or 6-10, I'll be satisfied seeing him play the 4 spot. A 4 with pretty decent handles & some outside shooting.

As I always say, I want to think of the more feasible & realistic approach. In as much as we want these kind of talents to spend their high school and/or college studies in the US where their raw skills could be fully utilized, we can't expect everyone of them to pursue such endeavor. Well, not everyone is like a Kobe Paras, Japeth Aguilar or a Kai Sotto.

Comment

• Is there any chance that Matthew Aquino can be included in the Cadets? the guy is only 22-23(?).At 6 foot 8, he have a very decent size for a power forward and could actually be a very serviceable big.Is there any chance that he'll be a late bloomer and get drafted in the PBA, maybe a chance to play in Gilas?

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex07 View Post
                          Is there any chance that Matthew Aquino can be included in the Cadets? the guy is only 22-23(?).At 6 foot 8, he have a very decent size for a power forward and could actually be a very serviceable big.Is there any chance that he'll be a late bloomer and get drafted in the PBA, maybe a chance to play in Gilas?
                          I think Matthew Aquino is a good option at the 4 spot. He may not have registered impressive stats in the UAAP but as you've said, he can be a late bloomer that might start to get his bearings when he reaches mid-20's.

I just wonder that coach Tab has never mentioned him as a National team player potential.

Comment

• How time flies. In late 2010s, we are lacking Big/Tall Centers that can matchup internationally

Now, we are having a surplus of Big,Tall Centers Prospects. I mean quality Big Men.

It started with JMF and Greg back in 2014.

And now 2020s, we have Kai,Aj, Kirkness,Tamayo, Salvoro,Demisana, Chiu, Baltazar,Go, etc. Most are mobile and quality Big men.

Comment

• It will still be a long uphill battle for Kirkness in terms of his development. The kid never played in an active and competitive basketball tournament similar to the NCAA juniors or UAAP juniors in Australia. When he was with NU juniors Team B he was not even lined up in a tournament.

Right now he will be pushed way at the end of the UP bench. With the arrival of 6'11 Diouf, 6'7 Tamayo, 6'5 Fil- Canadian Eusebio and 6'5 Miguel Tan. These guys are certainly better than Kirkness. His progress and development will be even pushed farther with the pandemic.

The only edge I see he has over the local and fil-foreigners is his 6'10-6'11 height.

Comment

I think Matthew Aquino is a good option at the 4 spot. He may not have registered impressive stats in the UAAP but as you've said, he can be a late bloomer that might start to get his bearings when he reaches mid-20's.

I just wonder that coach Tab has never mentioned him as a National team player potential.
                                come to think of it,Erram was sort of a late bloomer as well.He's just another bench guy back in Ateneo(Slaughter and Baclao I believe were the top bigs for Ateneo back then plus he got injured), however Matt needs to work a lot more if he wants to be at least PBA all star material.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information