Filipino Players in Foreign Leagues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ja.he View Post
    From now on, BLG teams will probably wait for would-be PBA free agents (Bolick, Wright, Japeth) or those protégés at college level (Tamayo, Baltazar, Rivero).

And Nagoya is currently a top 5 team. Parks says hi to his bashers.
    Hope more of our prodigious players go to Japan. If not for the overall competition, at least they can learn to play with and against taller imports the whole year.

Guys like Baltazar and Tamayo won't be forced to play center all the time. And our bigs might at least get reps as a PF.

Comment

• Originally posted by IPC View Post
      Colonial mentality. Reminds me of the MMFF vs. Spider-man discourse.
      I can understand where the hate is coming from. Everyone else would have seen the movie by now except Pinoy fans. Now those Pinoy fans would air their frustrations on Pinoy films. They should have allowed foreign films to be shown alongside the MMFF entries. I mean if the movies are good and interesting people would watch it along with NWH.

Comment

• And Dwight also gets 15, while on a minutes restriction. Hope he's conditioned for the next gameday.

Comment

• Originally posted by ja.he View Post
          From now on, BLG teams will probably wait for would-be PBA free agents (Bolick, Wright, Japeth) or those protégés at college level (Tamayo, Baltazar, Rivero).

And Nagoya is currently a top 5 team. Parks says hi to his bashers.
          Parks is hitting his prime already. Started in his last pba season where he should be in the mythical 5.

Rayray talents in no joke. As i said multiple times, before the existence of kai. It was Rayray who was the nearest homegrown Filipino to reach Nba.

Now, it. Is a question on how well Rayray will fit in Gilas System now.

Comment

• Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
            All things considered, it's safe to say developing local talent in this country sucks big time.

BRP is the only one who is assured of at least a contract extension. The rest are all either hanging on a balance or are a dumpster fire.
            If our Gilas that beat Korea in qualifiers meet the pro Japan NT that loss bigtime to China. I think we beat them. So our development doesn't suck.

Its just a different environment, between college and pro leagues. Different mindset, principle and officiating.

Comment

• Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post
              I can understand where the hate is coming from. Everyone else would have seen the movie by now except Pinoy fans. Now those Pinoy fans would air their frustrations on Pinoy films. They should have allowed foreign films to be shown alongside the MMFF entries. I mean if the movies are good and interesting people would watch it along with NWH.
              Its like picking a malay race vs african race with same skills set. You will pick African because of inherent advantage on athleticism.

Hollywood have the budget, production, marketing and hype. If General Luna/Jose Rizal vs Spiderman NWH, what will you watch for your family.

Comment

• Originally posted by astigram04
                Nah i don't see the comparison. when it comes to what i watch, i just watch based on my own preference. Just like food, eat what suits your taste. Not a question of what's better.
                Originally posted by zairex View Post
                Its like picking a malay race vs african race with same skills set. You will pick African because of inherent advantage on athleticism.

Hollywood have the budget, production, marketing and hype. If General Luna/Jose Rizal vs Spiderman NWH, what will you watch for your family.
                For myself, I'll take Luna. It's actually my favorite local movie. Apart from having an interest (and a degree) in history, I happen to like the time period, and military history, and I actually did two papers on said period. I happen to like the humor as well. That said, in general, I watch more Western movies and series, overwhelmingly. I love Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and heck, even Marvel movies.

I think astigram does have a point. When it comes to art (film, music, fine arts, literature), it's a matter of taste, not just quality.

That said, we have good movies. Kulang lang talaga sa hype, since most of the budget has been used for making the movie itself. That's true especially if the movie's not a romance movie or some comedy.
                Last edited by IPC; 01-02-2022, 09:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by astigram04
                  Nah i don't see the comparison. when it comes to what i watch, i just watch based on my own preference. Just like food, eat what suits your taste. Not a question of what's better.
                  Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post
                  Originally posted by zairex View Post

Originally posted by IPC View Post
                  For myself, I'll take Luna. It's actually my favorite local movie. Apart from having an interest (and a degree) in history, I happen to like the time period, and military history, and I actually did two papers on said period. I happen to like the humor as well. That said, in general, I watch more Western movies and series, overwhelmingly. I love Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and heck, even Marvel movies.

I think astigram does have a point. When it comes to art (film, music, fine arts, literature), it's a matter of taste, not just quality.

That said, we have good movies. Kulang lang talaga sa hype, since most of the budget has been used for making the movie itself. That's true especially if the movie's not a romance movie or some comedy.
                  Let's just continue the movie discussion in this thread. I'll move the discussion there.

Comment

• Originally posted by KAIJU
                    Philippines basketball development does suck. That's why out of a nation with over 100 million and basketball being the most popular sport by a landslide it has never produced an NBA player let alone an NCAA rotation player.

Look at Lithuania a country of 2.8 million and how many world class NBA talents they have produced. Look at Slovenia a country of 2.1 million and how many world class talents they have produced.

Even look at New Zealand a nation of 5 million where basketball is not even in the top 5 most popular sports, they still have produced NBA talents and multiple NCAA division 1 talents.

So yes, Philippines basketball development does indeed suck.
                    First alot of coaches said already we have NBA material or Div 1 players. Like Dickel said we have 50 top players here compare to 2 in NZ. We know alot has been offered D1 invites. It just that we have a situation players would rather stay here than go to US where they might not have all the support and resources to stay.

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
                      Parks is hitting his prime already. Started in his last pba season where he should be in the mythical 5.

Rayray talents in no joke. As i said multiple times, before the existence of kai. It was Rayray who was the nearest homegrown Filipino to reach Nba.

Now, it. Is a question on how well Rayray will fit in Gilas System now.
                      I think there's a high chance Parks would fit Gilas. The thing about Parks is, he doesn't a go-to-guy mentality. He's more of a team player which I think could be attributed to his background playing as point guard. Parks obviously is a facilitator who is also a decent offensive player. I think these things make Parks a very good prospect for Gilas. I think ito yung lamang ni Parks over the likes of Dave Ildefonso & CJ Perez who both have go-to-guy mentality.

The only question mark is his willingness to play for flag & country.
                      "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

We know that NCAA College scholarships are a full ride. If so many like you say have been offered these scholarships, why don't I see any homegrown pinoys playing for Duke, Kentucky, Gonzaga or even shitty mid major colleges?
                        You know how strict NCAA in giving allowance and benefits to students. Compare that to what players will get playing here with gracious alumis and backer. Family support and familiar environment.

Just want to know if Phil sucks, what East Asian country would you say has good development.

Comment

Philippines basketball development does suck. That's why out of a nation with over 100 million and basketball being the most popular sport by a landslide it has never produced an NBA player let alone an NCAA rotation player.

Look at Lithuania a country of 2.8 million and how many world class NBA talents they have produced. Look at Slovenia a country of 2.1 million and how many world class talents they have produced.

Even look at New Zealand a nation of 5 million where basketball is not even in the top 5 most popular sports, they still have produced NBA talents and multiple NCAA division 1 talents.

An average Lithuanian man is 179.02cm (5 feet 10.48 inches) tall.

The average Slovenian man is 179.80cm (5 feet 10.78 inches) tall.

The average Kiwi man is 177.73cm (5 feet 9.97 inches) tall.

While the average Filipino man is 163.22cm (5 feet 4.25 inches) tall.

Comment

Does the New Zealand basketball ever produced a pinoy basketball player(not mixed race) who was raised in New Zealand and became an US NCAA DI rotation player?

Comment

• Basketball players need to be tall, strong and fast.

To excel at a dynamic game that requires moving the ball at high speeds, changing directions swiftly to attack and defend, and enduring 48 minutes of play per game, players undergo intense training and conditioning.

But, for some, it's their natural gifts(physical attributes) — larger-than-average body height, albatross-like wingspans, and monster hands — that give them a head start on the path to success.

Comment

Who are these so called Filipino NBA material players? Could you please list the names of these so called 50 top players compared to the 2 in New Zealand? Sorry I really don't know what players you are talking about?

Still waiting for a list of names of these so called NBA material pinoy ballers you speak of?
                                This is Taiwan's coach Robert Parker. Has more experience in NBA coaching than anyone here.

Chinese Taipei coach Charlie Parker is concerned with the firepower Gilas might get from their perimeter guys like Jayson Castro, Terrence Romeo and Matthew Wright.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information