This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IPC View Post

Panlilio and Vargas are top PBA executives. Against the self-interest of the PBA, e. I think they, along with Boss Chua, just want the PBA well-represented even without full-time commitment from the league.

Tab's success with non-PBA guys will lead to the team not needing the PBA, like live_evil had said. That will be another dent in the PBA's image.

Like I said, the only useful PBA players for FIBA at this point are Scottie, Japeth, Marcio, Newsome, and Malonzo. Perez is too inconsistent, and Oftana hasn't gotten enough reps. We need to have non-PBA players for a more competitive team, because many other PBA stars don't cut it anymore, or really don't cut it.
    That's why chot and friends for them the 2021 gilas DEVELOPMENTAL team never exist. And that's what tab is doing..
    Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by sroth3839 View Post
      PBA representation isn't really a problem if only they had quality. I don't hate the PBA. I hate the idiots running the Liga and the dumb rules they have like that 6'6 height limit. Also, it's not like they were willing to cooperate on Gilas practices and calendar adjustments in the first place.

Bolick too but he's leaving.

I like Arvin T as a role player who can shoot threes off a swing pass. He has size and range.
      Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
      Is Arvin Tolentino any better than Calvin Oftana? Oftana is a natural small forward while Tolentino is more of combo forward.
      Although Arvin's shooting is an asset, he's already 27 going 28 and a defensive liability. I think I'd take Malonzo, Navarro, and Oftana over him. Maybe even Francis Lopez and Chicco Briones, just for defensive upside.​

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post

I think one of the problem also is pba schedule.
        Yes it is.

And the PBA's extreme stubbornness to change its calendar which would set the PBA off-season to the months of June, July, August & early September - period when FIBA tournaments like Asia Cup & World Cup are held, is what keeps us from sending a competitive team in the FIBA Asia Cup like what happened last year.

Eh kasi naman, while all the professional basketball leagues in the world are in their off-season during the months of June, July, Aug & September, our beloved shitty PBA is very much on the thick of its operations.
        "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• “I don’t see any program,” Toroman said bluntly. “I can see one team playing this tournament, another team is playing another tournament. In our time, we were working with collegiate players. Now, it’s a little bit different. It’s easier to make a great team, but they [Gilas] have to always be serious about the competition."

The SBP is not really running a national team program, they're simply preparing a team.put together for a 2 months gig for the World cup tournament

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post

Yes it is.

And the PBA's extreme stubbornness to change its calendar which would set the PBA off-season to the months of June, July, August & early September - period when FIBA tournaments like Asia Cup & World Cup are held, is what keeps us from sending a competitive team in the FIBA Asia Cup like what happened last year.

Eh kasi naman, while all the professional basketball leagues in the world are in their off-season during the months of June, July, Aug & September, our beloved shitty PBA is very much on the thick of its operations.
            PBA is on 24/7 like the WWE, to think they could compress 30- 50 games ( the average no of games played by pba teams) in 4-6 months. Oh well its their money and business model and the franchises want to maximize brand exposure.

lets just go back to the NCC-Gilas model nalang

Comment

• Originally posted by DAdmiral View Post
              “I don’t see any program,” Toroman said bluntly. “I can see one team playing this tournament, another team is playing another tournament. In our time, we were working with collegiate players. Now, it’s a little bit different. It’s easier to make a great team, but they [Gilas] have to always be serious about the competition."

The SBP is not really running a national team program, they're simply preparing a team.put together for a 2 months gig for the World cup tournament
              Crazy to think this has been their MO since the 2019 WCQ post-brawl.

Panlilio is an absolute clown.

Comment

Be like Mike.. super legit athletic big the Philippines needs... the other Kai... looks like another project for Gilas .
                Our national team future is right there in San Jaan, if only our leadees woulld open their eyes , future exempted prospects are supposed to be young raw to be developed, not finish products about to retire LOL

FIBA central scratching their heads , watching the talent available in Philippine colleges.
                Well, they're scared that they will lose the college ineligibles to Japan, so...

Another reason we might need a non-PBA-affiliated SBP head.

Comment

• In most countries natuonal team identification scouts watch, college or school age basketball to identify prospects , NOT 30 plus old pros 1st time national team potential players , Pang retirement tour selection yun.. (PBA VETERANS scouting )

Comment

In most countries natuonal team identification scouts watch, college or school age basketball to identify prospects , NOT 30 plus old pros 1st time national team potential players , Pang retirement tour selection yun.. (PBA VETERANS scouting )
                    Here's a hard fact:
                    When guys like LA Tenorio, Jeff Chan, & Larry Fonacier got to play for Gilas in the 2013 FIBA Asia Championship, they were already in their late 20's & that was the 1st time they played in a FIBA tournament.
                    These players also had hardly played other international tournaments prior to the 2012-2015 period.

Our Gilas team in the 2013 FIBA Asia Championship only had 1 player belonging to the 25-years old & below category - Junmar Fajardo. Yung ibang teams had about 3 or 4 players aged 25 & below that made it to their final 12-man rosters in that tournament. This only underscored how Philippine basketball took for granted young players' development.

Well, at least ngayon nag e improve na tayo in this aspect. We now have some "young" players in the pool that always have good chances of making it to the final roster.
                    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Let me be clear explicit on what I'm referring to, exceptions are for players who have development residency years in the country , (pre Pro and pre adult years (21 and under) yrs .

watching the fil oil teams i actually am impressed with the youth college level talent playing in the country ( including foreign students) it is indeed comparative to other countries really not bad and of a good level. (Youth competition in the country)
                      Last edited by DAdmiral; 05-29-2023, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Let me be clear explicit on what I'm referring to, exceptions are for players who have development residency years in the country , (pre Pro and pre adult years (21 and under) yrs .

watching the fil oil teams i actually am impressed with the youth college level talent playing in the country ( including foreign students) it is indeed comparative to other countries really not bad and of a good level. (Youth competition in the country)
                        good level.. i thought we were having agap between the fiba u16/u18 years with the senior team.. I guess the emergence of Ateneo as Internationally capable team (in Jones Cup) really heled uaap teams (the elite ones) to have high level talent or shall I say started to believe as they really do have in the first place (just need a big to reinforce our guys)
                        To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                        1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• @ remily, well if your foreign african is like 6'10, and your ineligible big like Balungay and Philpps are 6'7 and mobile athletic (not lampa , bean pole) and your wing is like a 6' 5 Koon, Spencer or whoever that automatically elevates the level to legit size world level, and the thing is they're reasonably young still to be developed. Yes the Philippines college competition for U22 age players is reasonably like top 16 competition in the world .. (I'm serious)

The SBP is focused on the wrong league and group of guys , nothing really special to have a league of 25 year old rookies, with 6' 5 centers (most of the time , when all filipino)

The paradigm should be for a world level mindset is once you are over 23 yrs old you should be playing pro in an overseas league, literally to play pro domestically in a low level competitive level like the PBA, is for the non elite, not serious players world prospects
                          Last edited by DAdmiral; 05-29-2023, 03:40 AM.

Comment

• Rajko on the development of Kobe And Thirdy

There's that other side of the fence, though, as Toroman couldn’t help but express disappointment in a couple of young hoopers who have donned the Gilas blue-and-white: Thirdy Ravena and Kobe Paras.

“I think Thirdy Ravena is not developing the way everybody is expecting,” Toroman told host and former PBA commissioner Noli Eala.

“He’s still playing in Japan but he’s not dominating there.”

To be fair, the 26-year-old swingman has showed out in the Japan B.League on multiple occasions while suiting up for San-En NeoPhoenix. His regular season averages of 11.1 points, 4.9 rebounds, 4.3 assists, and 1.1 steals are quite decent as well.

​Still, the OG Gilas coach isn’t wrong to say that Ravena hasn’t been dominant.

The veteran strategist has also been following Paras, who is already out of the Japan B.League after parting ways with Altiri Chiba back in March.

“Also [Kobe] Paras is struggling,” Toroman stated with what seems to be a tone of regret.

The former UP Fighting Maroon averaged 5.3 points and 1 assist for his club, which was playing in the second division of the Japanese pro league. Paras, as the signs show, did not live up to the hype.

The hope now is that Ravena and Paras would take Coach Rajko’s criticisms in stride, and use them as fuel to prove him wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by hmbopbaduwap View Post
                              Rajko on the development of Kobe And Thirdy

There's that other side of the fence, though, as Toroman couldn’t help but express disappointment in a couple of young hoopers who have donned the Gilas blue-and-white: Thirdy Ravena and Kobe Paras.

“I think Thirdy Ravena is not developing the way everybody is expecting,” Toroman told host and former PBA commissioner Noli Eala.

“He’s still playing in Japan but he’s not dominating there.”

To be fair, the 26-year-old swingman has showed out in the Japan B.League on multiple occasions while suiting up for San-En NeoPhoenix. His regular season averages of 11.1 points, 4.9 rebounds, 4.3 assists, and 1.1 steals are quite decent as well.

​Still, the OG Gilas coach isn’t wrong to say that Ravena hasn’t been dominant.

The veteran strategist has also been following Paras, who is already out of the Japan B.League after parting ways with Altiri Chiba back in March.

“Also [Kobe] Paras is struggling,” Toroman stated with what seems to be a tone of regret.

The former UP Fighting Maroon averaged 5.3 points and 1 assist for his club, which was playing in the second division of the Japanese pro league. Paras, as the signs show, did not live up to the hype.

The hope now is that Ravena and Paras would take Coach Rajko’s criticisms in stride, and use them as fuel to prove him wrong.
                              Overhyped. Too much exposure from Philippine sports media. These two including Juan Gomez de Liano were oozing swagger and charisma, emulating their NBA counterparts, sadly they're just not effective at the professional level internationally. They're not made for it. Try PBA maybe?

Manifesting: Philippines top 5 in the FIBA World Rankings

Comment

@ remily, well if your foreign african is like 6'10, and your ineligible big like Balungay and Philpps are 6'7 and mobile athletic (not lampa , bean pole) and your wing is like a 6' 5 Koon, Spencer or whoever that automatically elevates the level to legit size world level, and the thing is they're reasonably young still to be developed. Yes the Philippines college competition for U22 age players is reasonably like top 16 competition in the world .. (I'm serious)

The SBP is focused on the wrong league and group of guys , nothing really special to have a league of 25 year old rookies, with 6' 5 centers (most of the time , when all filipino)

The paradigm should be for a world level mindset is once you are over 23 yrs old you should be playing pro in an overseas league, literally to play pro domestically in a low level competitive level like the PBA, is for the non elite, not serious players world prospects
                                Those consecutive years that ADMU dominated UAAP elevated the standard of that league. We're now seeing how UP, DLSU and the rest have raised everything from recruitment, training, nutrition and coaching to be able to keep up and challenge. Now the preparation that teams undergo are world-class.

This illustrates how important competition level is, and how doubly important it is for young prospects (under 22) to get exposed to a level as high as possible. The quality of the players rises.

With the emergence of the quality of the UAAP, now it really looks like the best way forward for the very best in that league is to go overseas in their early 20s. That is a viable path for having a steady stream of international-level prospects.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information