• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From mb.com.ph

Azkals still lack killer's instinct

By FRANCIS SANTIAGO
    July 4, 2011, 10:41pm

MANILA, Philippines — Philippine Football Federation president Mariano “Nonong” Araneta Jr. believes that the national football team is close to becoming a force to reckon with in Asia, but German coach Michael Weiss, disagrees.

“Probably, with 10 more games, and with this kind of team, I think we will be a force to reckon with in Asia,” Araneta said during the team’s victory party at the Diamond Hotel late Sunday.

The Azkals completely dominated Sri Lanka, 4-0, Sunday to advance into the second round of the 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifiers.

“With the result, the Azkals showed they can play quality football. A lot of people are saying it was not the score alone but it was how the Azkals played. People say we can now compete with the best,” Araneta said.

Weiss, however, warned against high expectations.

“It’s very possible (to be an Asian power). But we are not yet where many people already see us. And I really beg for some patience on our way up. It’s not going to be rapid but step by step, and slowly,” Weiss, 46, said.

“We still need to strengthen our programs both in the administration and grassroots level.”

Spurred by the fine pitch at the Rizal Memorial Football Stadium, the Azkals turned their rain-hit game against the visitors into a virtual workout, producing relentless attack from the get-go en route to their most dominating home triumph essayed before an enthusiastic crowd of 13,000.

The Azkals relied on slick passing and appeared like a bulldogs on the loose as goals from attacking midfielder Chieffy Caligdong, strikers Phil Younghusband (brace) and Fil-Spanish Angel Guirado ensured the Philippines a date with a much tougher Kuwait, a football power in the Middle East, in the second round.

It marked only the first time a national squad advanced into the second round and won a World Cup qualifier game since the country joined the event 61 years ago.

Weiss, though, believes the team could have scored more goals had it not been for some ‘selfish plays’ by some players.

“The performance was OK, but it was not perfect. You have to kill an opponent like this but we didn’t do that. That’s because the cohesion is not yet there and we didn’t play smartly as we should have. Normally, a clever team beats this opponent by 7 or 8 goals,” Weiss said.
    Follow my blogs and tweets. http://dxjayrocksnotes.blogspot.com/ and https://twitter.com/dxjayrock

Road To Rio 2016.

Kwentong Gilas ~ Gilas Serye. LMAO!!!

Comment

• The Azkals are for every Juan

By RENEE A. FOPALAN

At a time when our senses are bombarded by everything Azkals, it may seem easy to forget what they really do. They’re everywhere, endorsing food, shoes, credit cards, mobile phones, and everything else in between. Last Sunday, the Azkals showed us what they are about- what they are really about. Last Sunday, we laid down the foundation towards the road to the World Cup.

Read the whole article from this link. http://www.gmanews.tv/story/225254/s...for-every-juan
      Follow my blogs and tweets. http://dxjayrocksnotes.blogspot.com/ and https://twitter.com/dxjayrock

Road To Rio 2016.

Comment

• Kuwait will be fighting for the win, thats for sure!
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I from Wisconsin!
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

Comment

• Team Philippines ready for 2011 Homeless World Cup in Paris

The Philippine delegation to the 2011 Homeless World Cup is all set for the annual football event to be held at the Champ de Mars in Paris, France on August 21-28.

Team Philippines players and coach declared their readiness and excitement for the tournament, which uses football "as a means to promote social includsion of the homeless and marginalized."

The team is coached by Rudy del Rosario, a former mainstay of the Philippine national men's football team. He underscored the role that the program plays in changing the lives of its participants.

"Since 2003, studies have shown that 70 percent of the participants of the Homeless World Cup make changes for the better," he said. "This is part of our advocacy, to make sure that it doesn’t end it Paris, rather it just starts there. Part of our job is to provide employment and education, maybe even a football career after their stint with the team."

Del Rosario will be joined in Paris by assistant coach Mark Maravilla and eight players chosen earlier this year in various national tryouts. The players are team captain Janrick Soriano (Negros Occidental), Jeffrey Guelas (Manila), Jeffrey de Castro (Rizal), Bert Anthony Sienes (Manila), Michael Rojo (Negros Occidental), Aljohn Loui Matulac (Iloilo), John Celiz (Iloilo) and Ricardo Padilla (Pangasinan).
          http://www.interaksyon.com/article/7...d-cup-in-paris
          If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

• Originally posted by Mojado View Post
            Kuwait will be fighting for the win, thats for sure!
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjEYlxDQ3xQ
            i know, hehehe their lebanese counterparts brought in assault rifles just to stop the embarrassment their getting from a 6 - nil massacre. From what I've read, the kuwaits brought another one of those lebanon-israel jokes that's why things got out of hand between the 2 national sides.

I never durden would expected that you will post in this section hahaha.
            you know why I am happy

Comment

• Originally posted by b3lowzro View Post
              i know, hehehe their lebanese counterparts brought in assault rifles just to stop the embarrassment their getting from a 6 - nil massacre. From what I've read, the kuwaits brought another one of those lebanon-israel jokes that's why things got out of hand between the 2 national sides.

Durden is now a football fan. Lol.

Road To Rio 2016.

Comment

• From philstar.com

Free agent Guirado eyed by foreign clubs
                By Joaquin Henson The Philippine Star Updated July 07, 2011 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Fil-Spanish striker Angel Guirado said yesterday he’s not renewing his contract with Spanish league Third Division club Ronda, opening the door to set up base in Manila and play in Asia where at least five countries, including the Philippines, are showing interest to sign him up.
                Guirado, 26, has played five games so far for the Philippine football team, scoring three goals. The 6-2 forward is unbeaten as an Azkal. He suited up for the Philippines in wins over Bangladesh (3-0) and Sri Lanka (4-0) and draws with Palestine (0-0), Myanmar (1-1) and Sri Lanka (1-1).
                Last Sunday, Guirado booted in the Azkals’ third goal over Sri Lanka after outmaneuvering the defense and eluding the goalkeeper in a display of ball wizardry. Teammate Chieffy Caligdong celebrated the marker by simulating a bull with two forefingers pointed up like horns on his temples and dancing around Guirado. At the end of the match, Caligdong rode Guirado’s back to start the victory parade – a display of camaraderie between a homegrown Filipino and one of several Fil-foreigners in coach Michael Weiss’ squad.
                Guirado leaves for Spain tomorrow and will be back here Monday with his Spanish girlfriend Rocio. The Azkals are scheduled to leave for Bahrain to open training camp on July 13 and will play Kuwait in a two-game World Cup qualifying series on July 23 in the Kuwaiti suburb of Hawalli and 28 in Manila.
                Guirado’s cousin Rafa Garcia, who acts as his agent and interpreter, said he has received reports that scouts from Indonesia, Japan, China and the United Arab Emirates are closely monitoring the striker’s progress with the Azkals. There are offers to play for United Football League clubs in Manila but at the moment, Guirado is keeping his options open.
                “It’s not just the money that I’m looking at,” said Guirado whose mother Angela Aldeguer traces her roots to Isabela. “My priority is to play in a high-level league where I can improve my game. I’m open to the idea of relocating to Manila where I have many relatives. I’ve always loved the Philippines and I’m looking forward to visit Boracay, Palawan and Isabela where my grandfather (Adolfo Aldeguer) lives.”
                Guirado said it’s special to play for the Azkals. “You can’t imagine the feeling when I play for the Azkals,” he said. “I’m motivated to play harder because I’m playing for the Philippines. That’s why at the end of our game last Sunday, I kept kissing the Philippine flag on my shirt.”
                Guirado said the Azkals’ hard work in a recent two-week camp in Germany to prepare for the Sri Lanka series paid off. “We’re a team and that’s how we win – as a team,” he said. “It’s important for our team to be cohesive, for the players to know and trust each other. I know it’s difficult to expect instant chemistry with players coming and going because of international commitments. But little by little, we’re getting to where we want to be. We’re jelling. Our team is becoming firmer and more compact as a unit.”
                Guirado said the Azkals’ latest recruits have raised the level of talent in the team. He singled out Stephan Schrock, Manuel Ott, Nate Burkey and Paul Mulders as key contributors in the recent Sri Lanka series.
                Against Kuwait, Guirado said the Azkals must be prepared to play a tough, physical series. Aly Borromeo and Schrock are barred from playing in the first match because of drawing two yellow cards each in the Sri Lanka series but Guirado said the Azkals will adjust.
                “We’ll miss Aly and Stephan but we’ve got to compensate,” said Guirado. “Stephan has commitments in Germany so I don’t think he could’ve played anyway. But I remember Rob Gier couldn’t play a few games before and even if he’s an important player for us, we adjusted. We’re getting Ray Jonsson and Jerry Lucena back for Kuwait so I think we’ve got enough players to fill in.”
                Guirado shrugged off reports that Kuwait will try to use physicality to overpower the Azkals. Kuwait’s players are strong and muscular. Last Saturday, Kuwait crushed Lebanon, 6-0, in a friendly in Beirut and after the match, players from both teams engaged in a free-for-all that was stopped only after security forces fired gunshots into the air. “We won’t back down,” promised Guirado.
                With over 30 relatives in the gallery and a huge Fil-Spanish community cheering, Guirado played hurt and dished out a no-relief job last Sunday. He’s been quietly nursing injuries. His right eye took a direct hit from the ball at camp in Germany and for a while, his vision was blurry. His inner right thigh has a black-and-blue bruise the size of a small plate and his left knee is banged up. The pain and discomfort didn’t stop Guirado from scoring one of the most memorable goals in his career.
                “Before Sunday’s match, coach Weiss reminded us to work together in defense, to play as a team,” he said. “Coach motivated us to play hard for the fans. I am overwhelmed by the fans’ show of support. I truly appreciate their faith and confidence.”
                Guirado said while he often jokes with Caligdong, he has no best buddy on the team because everyone is a close friend. After Sunday’s match, the Azkals celebrated with friends, relatives and fans at the Manila Diamond Hotel then partied until 4 a.m. at the Robot Bar near the Manila Peninsula Hotel.
                Guirado said he’s slowly learning words in Pilipino and English. Some of his favorites are “I don’t know” “maganda” “saan ka pupunta” “mabuti” and “salamat.” Of course, he has also been taught the naughty words.
                Guirado’s older brother Juan Luis, 31, may join the Azkals for the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Challenge Cup Finals in Myanmar next March. He lives in Spain and is unable to take a long vacation from work. Juan Luis is still under contract with a Spanish league club. Next year, he hopes to accumulate enough days off to play for the Azkals.
                Garcia said he’s negotiating endorsement contracts for Guirado and Caligdong so they’re able to put money in the bank for the future.

Road To Rio 2016.

Comment

• Originally posted by b3lowzro View Post

i do like my sports. i do believe football is still (one of the) most boring sports in the world but hey i can survive the highlights (i can't survive the entire game, maybe a half)... So i watch them and follow the scores (it helps of course, when you have a dollar or two bet on the games )

Curiously, this was the sport i played in high school (too short for the class basketball team) and had fond memories of the short stint (Then again, played basketball even more despite being part of that team)

It's nice to see the sport grow. i hope the media stops the overkill and overhype-- it just won't help in the long term.
                  If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

• Originally posted by Mojado View Post
                    Kuwait will be fighting for the win, thats for sure!
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjEYlxDQ3xQ
                    Kuwait is known to be a very dirty team in every sport they play.
                    GILAS WISHLIST:
                    6'8 Pingris

Comment

• any idea about this ?

Iran's Daei refuses coaching Philippine football team

ISNA - Tehran
                      Service: Sport

TEHRAN (ISNA)-Iranian former national football team Boss Ali Daei rejected Philippine offer for coaching the national football team of the Southeast Asian country.

The offer came after Ali Daei refused to continue coaching Iran's Persepolis club after Iran Cup.

Persepolis' technical committee had offered the position to Daei earlier after he walked away from the post following the club's play-off Cup triumph.

Daei made 149 appearances for the Iran national team scoring over 100 goals.

Former Shahin Bushehr and Steel Azin manager Estili, who previously spent time at Persepolis as a player and assistant coach, penned a two-year contract with Persepolis club.

End Item

Comment

• Originally posted by mohsena2631 View Post
                        No idea at all. As far as I know, there are no mentions of replacing Michael Weiss.
                        GILAS WISHLIST:
                        6'8 Pingris

Comment

• Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
                          No idea at all. As far as I know, there are no mentions of replacing Michael Weiss.
                          well there haven been rumors that Weiss will resign and a more experienced german trainer would come in the replace him but i have no idea how the PFF would approach the Iranian coach since we have a good relations to the German federation.
                          you know why I am happy

Comment

• Philippines out to scale new heights

(FIFA.com) Tuesday 12 July 2011

Six months ago when German Michael Weiss took over Philippines, very rarely did the national team find their place among headlines, with basketball the invariably dominant sport. However, half-a-year later the footballing passion is re-ignited across the nation, with even Philippines President Benigno S. Aquino III joining the millions of fans celebrating the national team’s unprecedented success after they eliminated Sri Lanka 5-1 on aggregate to progress to Asia’s second qualifying round for the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™ for the first time.
                            Having taken the Azkals to their first Asian finals at the 2012 AFC Challenge Cup in March, the victory against Sri Lanka is another feather in his cap during his tenure in charge of Philippines. However, the former Rwanda U-17 manager is given little time to bask in the glow of these achievements, with a stiffer test in Kuwait awaiting them over two legs on 23 and 28 July.

Kuwait should be the hardest task for us so far,” the 46-year-old told FIFA.com. “They are a very strong team in Asia. I wish I had a year to prepare for the match-ups, rather than a couple of weeks, then we should have a good chance against them.”

Read the full article from this link. http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/prelimi...706/index.html

Road To Rio 2016.

Comment

• Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
                              well, ISNA is a trustworthy news source, especially when they write about football. so it must be true.

anyhow, anyone with little knowledge about him and his personality know that he won't accept such an offer. But it's still a good sign for Philippines football, it means they want to improve. but I think someone like Peter Withe (former Thailand NT coach) is more fit to the situation.

Comment

• can the PFF afford Bora Milutinović (with Iraq) or Gus Hiddink (with Turkey)?

despite the progress, the Azkals are still too far behind the best of Asia. even if Jose Mourinho coached them, they'll still be an underdog to Kuwait.

park the bus deep and just counter-attack at the first leg, if they keep the scores 0-0... keep it that way in the return leg and go to penalties where we have a slight advantage with our Fulham FC goalkeeper. f*** the beautiful game, let's just win!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information