PDA

View Full Version : Southeast Asian Championship - November 2009 Manila

ThreeStars&aSun
06-21-2009, 04:06 AM
Smart Gilas is set to play in the Southeast Asian Championship set in Manila in November. The Southeast Asian tourney is to be played as replacement to the scrapped basketball event in the Laos SEA Games in December.

reamily
06-21-2009, 04:37 AM
a tournament to add another hardware for rp?????
i think rp should organize manila invitationals in that time invite the east asian games teams taiwan korea japan and Chna b for added competition:D:D

it is much better than a given massacre

c_d
06-21-2009, 05:58 AM
i think rp should organize manila invitationals n that time invite the eat asian games teams taiwan korea japan and Chna b for added competition:D:D

I agree. It won't help smart gilas at all since the level of competition in seaba is very low. If the SBP wants them to go up against SEA teams, there's the asean-cbo tournament that's already scheduled late this year which will also feature asean teams, macau and a provincial team from China.

If it's the core of our current u16 team + aspirants for the 2010 u18 team + 3rd stringers from smart gilas we'll be fielding in this SEA championship, then we're talking.

fthesaint
06-21-2009, 07:55 AM
i think rp should organize manila invitationals n that time invite the eat asian games teams taiwan korea japan and Chna b for added competition:D:D

Totally agree but I would instead invite the East Asian Champs, and a team each from every continent like " mini- confederations cup" similar to what's being done in football. That way bball styles will be varied and for sure our nat'l team will benefit the most. Again large amount of money will be involved but this will test the mettle and resolve of our bball officials on how serious they are to our basketball program. Besides tournaments like this is an added exposure to our country and to our bball loving countrymen.

donmar
06-21-2009, 08:22 AM
I don't mind having a third Southeast Asian tourney.. we should also have a Far East Championship.. probably the Big Four of East Asia (China, SoKor, Japan and Taiwan) plus the Philippines...

chester25
06-22-2009, 06:58 AM
i think rp should organize manila invitationals in that time invite the east asian games teams taiwan korea japan and Chna b for added competition:D:D

i agree. playing with low level competetion won't help strenghten our Phil NT or Smart Gilas for that matter. even our top college teams has an even chance of beating every team within south east asia. it's better for them to orgarnize invitationals that would pit them against tougher teams in Asia or even from Europe.

kentpaul
06-24-2009, 10:33 PM

it can be,.and it is a good idea to put to an invitational tournament,..but that should in a different tourney since this South East Asian Championship just replaced the scrapped basketball tourney in the incoming SEA GAMES in Laos..so only SEA Nations are in to this challenge.... for sure...
prediction:

1- PHILIPPINES
2- INDONESIA
3- THAILAND,SINGAPORE,MALAYSIA

YoJoe
07-06-2009, 05:15 AM
This is one of the reasons why I think the SEA Games are becoming a joke. The main reason is that host countries are extended a tremendous amount of leeway in selecting the sports that will be included. Naturally, the sports that give the host a good medal chance will be the ones selected. Right now, there are too many subjective and esoteric sports included. I don't mind celebrating the sporting uniqueness of our region, but there should be limits. Why have "shuttlecock" and "fin swimming" but not basketball?!?

Which brings me to my other beef with the SEA Games this year. There should be "pillar sports" included in this competition every time! The pillar sports, as unofficially identified by the IOC based on attendance, TV ratings, overall popularity, strength of sport, and revenue generated, are: athletics, swimming, football and basketball. There should be NO reason why any of these 4 sports are to be excluded in any SEA Games. To select a hosting country that cannot provide venues for each sport is just not right. And if no venues are found, the local organizing committee should be forced to agree to alternative venues to ensure that these sports are included.

b3lowzro
07-06-2009, 02:51 PM
This is one of the reasons why I think the SEA Games are becoming a joke. The main reason is that host countries are extended a tremendous amount of leeway in selecting the sports that will be included. Naturally, the sports that give the host a good medal chance will be the ones selected. Right now, there are too many subjective and esoteric sports included. I don't mind celebrating the sporting uniqueness of our region, but there should be limits. Why have "shuttlecock" and "fin swimming" but not basketball?!?

Which brings me to my other beef with the SEA Games this year. There should be "pillar sports" included in this competition every time! The pillar sports, as unofficially identified by the IOC based on attendance, TV ratings, overall popularity, strength of sport, and revenue generated, are: athletics, swimming, football and basketball. There should be NO reason why any of these 4 sports are to be excluded in any SEA Games. To select a hosting country that cannot provide venues for each sport is just not right. And if no venues are found, the local organizing committee should be forced to agree to alternative venues to ensure that these sports are included.

unfortunately a few countries can afford to have a basketball tourney in their edition of SEAGAMES plus they also think that it is boring cause filipinos would only dominate the sport in the men's event.

kaiziken_pinas
08-15-2009, 04:45 AM
I'll watch how Gilas will massacre our brothers

dreamwalker
08-15-2009, 05:26 PM
I don't mind having a third Southeast Asian tourney.. we should also have a Far East Championship.. probably the Big Four of East Asia (China, SoKor, Japan and Taiwan) plus the Philippines...

OT, Would dream of a Manila Invitationals like Middle East meets Far East with Oceania, nice one eh....?

It's like having a FIBA Asia and Oceania Invitationals....;) This would be a tough tournament at the highest level.

Imagine the teams of Lebanon, Iran, Jordan and Qatar representing the middle east, the far east composed by China, South Korea, Chinese-Taipei and of course the Philippines and lastly oceania teams from Australia and New Zealand........wow:cool:

SBP needs to consider such a probability and earning some "pogi points" for the right to host the next FIBA-Asia championships.

donmar
08-16-2009, 02:03 AM
OT, Would dream of a Manila Invitationals like Middle East meets Far East with Oceania, nice one eh....?

It's like having a FIBA Asia and Oceania Invitationals....;) This would be a tough tournament at the highest level.

Imagine the teams of Lebanon, Iran, Jordan and Qatar representing the middle east, the far east composed by China, South Korea, Chinese-Taipei and of course the Philippines and lastly oceania teams from Australia and New Zealand........wow:cool:

SBP needs to consider such a probability and earning some "pogi points" for the right to host the next FIBA-Asia championships.

Agreed to that bro..

usausa
12-31-2009, 11:01 PM
Am I right to assume this tournament did not happen? Can't find anything on the internet on it.