Taiwan still going to Asian Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taiwan still going to Asian Championship

Source: Taiwan still going to Asian Championship - Jun 15, 2009 (by Chris Wang)
    Taiwan Men's NT is still highly possible to participate in the 2009 Asian Men's Basketball Championship in Tianjin, China, a CTBA official said Monday.

Either the tournament will try to expand the 16-team field or some teams are expected to withdraw before the competition takes place, paving the way for Taiwan to make a trip to Tianjin.

FIBA Asia secretary-general Yeoh Choo Hock said Taiwan, which finished 4th-place in the East Asia Basketball Championship, is definitely going to the Asian Championship, the official said.

All five Asian teams (Kuwait, Kazakhstan, Jordan, India and Qatar) that participated in the 2008 FIBA Asia Stankovic Cup in Kuwait had been granted seeds in the Asian Championship as -- if my memory is correct -- FIBA Asia had stated that the biennial Stankovic Cup will be used as a qualifier for the Asian Championship, which was also held every two years.

According to FIBA Asia, the top six teams in Stankovic Cup will receive at-large bids for the Asia Championship. The other seeds will be granted to top two teams in each of the five subzones and the host country.

Taiwan did not enter the tournament last year and the CTBA was later blasted for the mistake because finishing in top six in the Stankovic Cup is obviously easier than winning a seed through the East Asian qualifier.

Word was that FIBA Asia had failed to express clearly to member associations about the seeding opportunities before the 2008 Stankovic Cup and CTBA had complained to FIBA about this, forcing FIBA to pressure FIBA Asia into changing the seeding format.

Rumor also said that India might pull out of the Asian Championship for unknown reasons.

Taiwan finished for 4th-place in the EABC and was out of the Asian Championship for the first time since 1985.

The 2009 Asia Championship will be played in Tianjin, China from August 6-16.

Originally posted by FEIFEI View Post
    Source: Taiwan still going to Asian Championship - Jun 15, 2009 (by Chris Wang)
    Taiwan Men's NT is still highly possible to participate in the 2009 Asian Men's Basketball Championship in Tianjin, China, a CTBA official said Monday.

Either the tournament will try to expand the 16-team field or some teams are expected to withdraw before the competition takes place, paving the way for Taiwan to make a trip to Tianjin.

FIBA Asia secretary-general Yeoh Choo Hock said Taiwan, which finished 4th-place in the East Asia Basketball Championship, is definitely going to the Asian Championship, the official said.

All five Asian teams (Kuwait, Kazakhstan, Jordan, India and Qatar) that participated in the 2008 FIBA Asia Stankovic Cup in Kuwait had been granted seeds in the Asian Championship as -- if my memory is correct -- FIBA Asia had stated that the biennial Stankovic Cup will be used as a qualifier for the Asian Championship, which was also held every two years.

According to FIBA Asia, the top six teams in Stankovic Cup will receive at-large bids for the Asia Championship. The other seeds will be granted to top two teams in each of the five subzones and the host country.

Taiwan did not enter the tournament last year and the CTBA was later blasted for the mistake because finishing in top six in the Stankovic Cup is obviously easier than winning a seed through the East Asian qualifier.

Word was that FIBA Asia had failed to express clearly to member associations about the seeding opportunities before the 2008 Stankovic Cup and CTBA had complained to FIBA about this, forcing FIBA to pressure FIBA Asia into changing the seeding format.

Rumor also said that India might pull out of the Asian Championship for unknown reasons.

Taiwan finished for 4th-place in the EABC and was out of the Asian Championship for the first time since 1985.

The 2009 Asia Championship will be played in Tianjin, China from August 6-16.

Im really Confused..But well good for taiwan..hope they will be the same bracket with phils hehehe
    You know how to WIN against the Philippines? Zone them do death and watch them crumble. Been working Since 2002 and coaches until today don't have the answer for it.

Comment

Good for Taiwan. But it could be a big blow for FIBA Asia. Too much bias.

Comment

Originally posted by TrueBluePinoy View Post
        Good for Taiwan. But it could be a big blow for FIBA Asia. Too much bias.
        Too much bias to who ?
        Tai Wan or West Asia or others ?

Comment

So I think FIBA Asia should hold another competition ,and the 5 team (Kuwait, Kazakhstan, Jordan, India and Qatar) and the 3th and the 4th team of five subzones play in the competition.
          The top 5 will qualifier to the 2009 Asian Men's Basketball Championship in Tianjin, China.
          I think if FIBA Asia do that the top 5 will not like the 5 team of 2008Stankovic Cup .

Comment

Too much bias to who ?
            Tai Wan or West Asia or others ?
            what if RP sends a team (mediocre) to SEABA and lost..would FIBA also do the same? that is give RP a free ticket to Fiba Asia?

Comment

Originally posted by macan77 View Post
              what if RP sends a team (mediocre) to SEABA and lost..would FIBA also do the same? that is give RP a free ticket to Fiba Asia?
              before you ask that is there a confirmation from Fiba Asia that Chinese Taipei will play in the Asian Championships. Asia-basket is a respective news website but it also written there that it might be a rumor. So before anything else lets wait for Fiba
              you know why I am happy

Comment

In the SEABA your RP did not have any competition.
                Then what if RP jion the east asia subzones to fight with Japan and Korea for the only 2 seeds .

Comment

Originally posted by b3lowzro View Post
                  before you ask that is there a confirmation from Fiba Asia that Chinese Taipei will play in the Asian Championships. Asia-basket is a respective news website but it also written there that it might be a rumor. So before anything else lets wait for Fiba
                  No it's not rumor.
                  I think the news of http://www.asia-basket is not very accurate.

As I Konw the FIBA World has many interrogation of the 5 team (Kuwait, Kazakhstan, Jordan, India and Qatar) of 2008 FIBA Asia Stankovic Cup who get the seeds easilly.
                  And Taiwan may has the seeds , but we don't how Taiwan to get the seeds .
                  So let's wait for the FIBA Asia.

Comment

In the SEABA your RP did not have any competition.
                    Then what if RP jion the east asia subzones to fight with Japan and Korea for the only 2 seeds .
                    that's what I am praying for..LOL

Comment

that's what I am praying for..LOL
                      It's easy to say and hard to do.
                      LOL!

Comment

It's easy to say and hard to do.
                        LOL!
                        know what, RP is not really afraid of any team..we may have lost a lot but still we believe that we can provide a good match up to most teams..and more so are not afraid of korea, japan and Taiwan..what I am saying here is doing the right thing and no short cuts..

Comment

know what, RP is not really afraid of any team..we may have lost a lot but still we believe that we can provide a good match up to most teams..and more so are not afraid of korea, japan and Taiwan..what I am saying here is doing the right thing and no short cuts..
                          I don't say your NT afraid of korea, japan and Taiwan.
                          But these team are not afraid your NT like Indonesia or Malaysia
                          I just think that If your NT are forced to fight with korea, japan for 2 seeds and lost .Your NT can not play in Asian Championship .
                          I think your NT will miss the south east subzones .
                          I say again just wait for the FIBA asia.

Comment

I don't say your NT afraid of korea, japan and Taiwan.
                            But these team are not afraid your NT like Indonesia or Malaysia
                            I just think that If your NT are forced to fight with korea, japan for 2 seeds and lost .Your NT can not play in Asian Championship .
                            I think your NT will miss the south east subzones .
                            I say again just wait for the FIBA asia.
                            yeah, fiba asia is coming so all the questions should be answered in that contest..

Comment

i think korea is automatically join for fiba-asia this time cause of which placed 4th during last tournament and then moving to china but china is host country and then moved to taiwan. if koreans placed deadlast, but its still qualify.
                              ================================================== =========================================

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information