PDA

View Full Version : Slovenia in Singapore - 9. - 12. August

elaj
08-07-2006, 01:24 PM
Our guys are tomorrow going to Singapore on one of the best preparation tournaments around. They will face Serbia and Montenegro, Spain and Argentina. Those teams are considered as one of the favourites for the medals on upcoming WorldCup 2006 in Japan. I heard our captain Rasho Nesterovic yesterday saying that this will be the toughest tournament what he has ever played with NT.

I think this tournament will kinda "quality shock" for our NT considering that we have only played one hard preparation game with Turkey in this preparation cycle (no disrespect to Venezuela, Poland, Lebanon, Canada, Qatar).

Schedule (http://bas.org.sg/special_philipssingaporecup2006.html)

Kings
08-08-2006, 09:56 AM
Philips Singapore Cup (http://forums.interbasket.net/showthread.php?t=790)

Joško Poljak Fan
08-11-2006, 07:17 PM
Slovenia : Spain 85:96 (70:77, 57:56, 30:25)

Slovenia: Bečirovič 17, Lakovič 16, Udrih 12, Brezec 12, Nesterovič 8, Slokar 8, Milič 4, Jurak 4, Nachbar 2, Zagorac 2

Spain: Garbajosa 17, P. Gasol 16, Navarro 15, Calderon 13, Reyes 9, Rodriguez 8,
Jimenez 6, Fernandez 4, Cabezas 2, B. Rodriguez 2, M. Gasol 2, Mumbru 2

I feared the difference would be bigger, since the games played so far were no indication for the strenght of our team. Loosing against Spain is far from tragedy I am actually surprised in a nice way... now just pull the defense together and we'll have an interesting world championship to watch...

DZK
08-11-2006, 10:15 PM
Slovenia : Spain 85:96 (70:77, 57:56, 30:25)

Slovenia: Bečirovič 17, Lakovič 16, Udrih 12, Brezec 12, Nesterovič 8, Slokar 8, Milič 4, Jurak 4, Nachbar 2, Zagorac 2

Spain: Garbajosa 17, P. Gasol 16, Navarro 15, Calderon 13, Reyes 9, Rodriguez 8,
Jimenez 6, Fernandez 4, Cabezas 2, B. Rodriguez 2, M. Gasol 2, Mumbru 2

I feared the difference would be bigger, since the games played so far were no indication for the strenght of our team. Loosing against Spain is far from tragedy I am actually surprised in a nice way... now just pull the defense together and we'll have an interesting world championship to watch...

Especially if you take into account Spain had 21 FT more than Slovenia.

Joško Poljak Fan
08-12-2006, 04:42 AM
Especially if you take into account Spain had 21 FT more than Slovenia.
Spain always has 20+ft's more than the other team...

Proph·et
08-12-2006, 09:46 AM
Today's game Slovenia vs. Argentina will be broadcasted on Star Sports which can be seen via PPStream p2p program. I'm watching it right now and the stream is excellent.

DZK
08-12-2006, 10:43 AM
Today's game Slovenia vs. Argentina will be broadcasted on Star Sports which can be seen via PPStream p2p program. I'm watching it right now and the stream is excellent.

sweeeeeet :D

Looks like Bacirovic and Udrih are gona be in great form...probably also Lakovic - didn't see him play yet...I am worried about Nachbar though.

elaj
08-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Thanks to Proph·et for usefull informations. ;)

Argentina 94-72 Slovenia

What can I say about our game? The first half was OK, considering that we are playing against Argentina, but second half is just disgrace. :mad:

The Argies were scoring when it was needed. The defense is poor, and I mean very poor. :mad: Brezec is defensive blackhole, something like Evtimov last year at Olimpija. WE DON'T HAVE EVEN ONE DEFENSIVE SETUP. I DON'T CARE BUT THIS IS NOT DEFENSE FOR ME. :mad: Slovenia was totally predictable in second half time, Udrih/Lakovic having the ball, pick n' roll with big man, and then pass AND WATCH WHAT WILL HAPPEN. Tell me coach Pipan, what were you doing at preparations? :mad: We have very skilled players, but Pipan is just too inexperianced coach to put them togather. Ofcourse we can beat Lebanon by 61 points, but dear god, if our goal is to make a good result on this upcoming WC we have to put this guys togather and play like a team. Milic today played good game, he was actually the guy who was trying to make something (nice 180° dunk ;)), others were just sleeping. The Argies played really simple basketball, no complications while our team was SLOW, UNPRECISE at free throws, they didn't make any open shots... if we are going to play like this on WC, we are going to lose like -10 vs Senegal, -40 vs USA..etc. :mad: I really am pissed off right now... I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY DOING ON PREPARATIONS, THEY WEREN'T PRACTISING DEFENSE OR OFFENSE. :mad: At least they could ask Zmago Sagadin to go with them, to learn them some DEFENSE, because they forgot what that word means! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Anyway, the first half was GOOD, but when Pipan changed the lineups and destroyed whole rythm of the game, our guys just fall apart. We had nice rythm during the first two quarters, but when he changed the lineup he destroyed it. :mad:

Oh, and yes, I forgot to mention the reffs, where did they get those clowns?

DZK
08-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Uf, reality check :o

Slovenia was playing well with starting five and was even leading to the point Jurak was able to fight with Argentinian frontcourt...than a collapse started when Lakovic&Slokar came into the game in the middle of 2nd quarter...I was very disapointed with Lakovic performance...the result was like +30pts for Argentina when he was on the court...he was totally limited when defender put pressure on him...wasn't able to make some creative moves like Udrih and Becirovic.

Reality check:
- lack of PFs...I was hoping Slokar would wake up like E.Lorbek last year in Belgrad...probably won't happen...and this might be crucial as our inside defence did struggle today big time when Jurak was substituted.
- also the status of Slovenia in World Basketball was seen today when all the reffees were star-stroken...well we can't expect this will change even on WC in Japan...we have to make peace with it.
- Nachbar and Milic are struggling against top teams...hope they somehow get over it...Milic is a fighter but his weaknesses are even more visible against top teams...Nachbar?...probably psihological problem for him...lack of courage and confidence.

Still this are just preparation games and it is better things are not so perfect because there is still time to make some final changes and improvements...I am not worried as the first two games in WC might get this team back on track...Senegal and Italy will be true reality check...than with some confidence everything is possible.

But I really didn't like bahaviour of some argentinian players today (Scole, Ginobili and Nocioni)...even when there were obvious fouls called they were complaining to reffs and puting pressure on them...especially when result was tight...it showed no class and total two-faced behaviour...I don't like such things so I was totaly turned-off by ARG team...might not rout for them on WC because of such behaviour.

Joško Poljak Fan
08-12-2006, 12:43 PM
Argentina had to proove some things after Spain and S&M, our defense isn't on last years level obviously...
I would be worried if we lost by 22 to Italy, Germany or Brasil... but Argentina and Spain are 2 of right now top3 teams in the world, out of our class even rosterwise, where our NT is arguably one of the best...
I think our boys will pull themselves together, they have enough time to fix some stuff, while talent isn't worrying at all...