PDA

View Full Version : Portugal national team

rikhardur
06-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Nuno Cortez In The Frame For EuroBasket-Chasing Portugal

Portugal coach Moncho Lopez is looking to bolster his frontcourt ahead of the Additional Qualifying Round games for the EuroBasket and Ovarense big man Nuno Cortez is in strong contention to earn a place in the squad.

Lopez is to gather a 14-man group on June 21 to begin preparing for the qualifying games and the 26-year-old center Cortez is expected to get a call from the national team boss.

"Nuno Cortez is a player who worked with us on previous occasions but has never made to the final squad," Lopez said to Basketball World News.

"He is now in a good form to make it to the final 12 players.

"I should say that he is a player to consider.

"He is living a very interesting, competitive moment in his career."

Cortez played in the Portuguese league finals but wasn't able to carry his team to victory over Benfica.

Portugal will play against Bosnia and Herzegovina and Belgium in Group A of the Additional Qualifying Round.

Should Lopez's team finish top of that pool, they will take on the winner of Group B (France, Italy or Finland) for the right to play at the EuroBasket.

The preparation period is very important for Lopez and his players.

"We are aiming to consolidate our tactical game and will try to incorporate new players," Lopez said.

Portugal will play in the Lusofonia Games, to be staged in Lisbon, starting on July 8 and will face Angola, Brazil, Cape Verde, Mozambique and Guinea-Bissau.

Following the Lusofonia Games - an event that includes all Portuguese speaking countries - the Portugues will take part in another international tournament in Almada, near Lisbon, and go up against Brazil, Angola and Finland.
http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_6y1y9JAKJsghgfACUv2vb2.articleMode_on.contain er_frontpage.html

Luíz for 3
06-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Moncho López selected 14 players to prepare de Additional Qualifying Round. This list doesn't include players of Benfica and Ovarense, due to their presence in LPB finals, who will join the preparation later.

PG's:
Filipe da Silva (ALM Évreux Basket - ProB France)
João Figueiredo (FC Porto - LPB Portugal)
João Reveles (AD Vagos - LPB Portugal)
José Costa (Ginásio Figueirense - LPB Portugal)

SG's/SF's:
Carlos Andrade (Bruesa GBC - ACB Spain)
Fábio Lima (Asociación Baloncesto Mérida - LEB Bronce Spain)
Jaime Silva (Ciudad de Vigo Básquet - LEB Plata Spain)
João "Betinho" Gomes (Club Baloncesto Breogán - LEB Oro Spain)
Paulo Cunha (FC Porto - LPB Portugal)
Fernando Sousa (A. Académica de Coimbra - LPB Portugal)

PF's/C's
Jorge Coelho (Gijón Baloncesto - LEB Plata Spain)
Manuel Sicó (FC Barreirense - LPB Portugal)
Mario Gonçalves (CAB Madeira - LPB Portugal)
David Gomes (CAB Madeira - LPB Portugal)

Luíz for 3
06-12-2009, 11:44 AM
Miguel Minhava, Élvis Évora and João Santos from Benfica and Miguel Miranda from Ovarense will probably be added to this list.

nmmb
06-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Carlos Andrade doesn't count as a "foreign" player any more.
João "Betinho" Gomes and Manuel Sico are "fighting" for the spot now.
Betinho should get it.

rikhardur
06-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Carlos Andrade doesn't count as a "foreign" player any more.
João "Betinho" Gomes and Manuel Sico are "fighting" for the spot now.
Betinho should get it.
That's great news. Now the national team will certainly become stronger. Betinho has it secured (if Moncho makes the right choice that is).

nmmb
06-24-2009, 01:19 AM
Betinho will defently go, Sico is only there as backup and to gain some experience.

Luíz for 3
06-24-2009, 12:14 PM
In 2007 (Spain EuroBasket), João Gomes was the chosen one, one year later (EB2009 Qualifiers) and with a new coach, Carlos Andrade got his chance and both played well. It's great to our national team for this AQR...

Luíz for 3
06-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Miguel Minhava, Élvis Évora and João Santos from Benfica and Miguel Miranda from Ovarense will probably be added to this list.

Meanwhile, Moncho Lopez has already picked the Benfica and Ovarense players. From the champions we have Miguel Minhava (PG), Diogo Carreira (PG), João Santos (SG/SF) and Elvis Évora (PF/C) and Miguel Miranda (PF/C) and Nuno Cortez (PF) from Ovarense...

g.g
06-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Meanwhile, Moncho Lopez has already picked the Benfica and Ovarense players. From the champions we have Miguel Minhava (PG), Diogo Carreira (PG), João Santos (SG/SF) and Elvis Évora (PF/C) and Miguel Miranda (PF/C) and Nuno Cortez (PF) from Ovarense...Good luck to Portugal...all the best

Buzissa
06-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Ovarense (Miranda and Cortez) and Benfica's (Minhava, Carreira, João Santos and Élvis) players had already take part of Portuguese NT...

nmmb
06-30-2009, 12:08 AM
Good luck to Portugal...all the best

We are going to need some...Why did all the NBA players decided to play for Italy and France when they might face Portugal ?! :mad:

rikhardur
06-30-2009, 12:15 AM
He are going to need some...Why did all the NBA players decided to play for Italy and France when they might face Portugal ?! :mad:
Portuguese NBA players always skip the NT, it's a shame :D

nmmb
06-30-2009, 12:21 AM
Portuguese NBA players always skip the NT, it's a shame :D

Yeah João Partidas and Carlos Mentiroso don't have a great deal of pride for their country. Great 3-Point Shooting and Ball Handling skills tough :p

nmmb
07-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Portugal wins first Friendly Game

Portugal 78 - 55 Finland

Buzissa
07-16-2009, 06:45 PM
After the win against Angola, Portugal is beating Macau at half-time (55-22). Two matches counting for the Lusophony Games...

rikhardur
07-17-2009, 04:14 PM
Andrade Now Battles Gomes Only For Minutes On The Court

Portugal boss Moncho Lopez will probably wear a permanent grin for the rest of the month after discovering recently that veteran forward Carlos Andrade will no longer have to compete for the one naturalized spot in the national team.

The 31-year-old Andrade, now a near certainty to make the national squad for this summer's Additional Qualifying Round, was born in Cape Verde but moved to Portugal as a small boy yet only became a citizen four years ago.

That meant that two years ago, Andrade had to go head-to-head with another Cape Verde-born player, Joao Gomes, and lost out on the battle for naturalized spot for EuroBasket 2007.

Late last month FIBA cleared Andrade's appeals and now all he wants is a chance to do something for the first time in his career.

He is desperate to compete in the Final Round at a EuroBasket.

"Now, all Joao Gomes and I have to do is to fight for more minutes, nothing else, which is a healthy challenge," Andrade said to Basketball World News.

"All my colleagues saluted me. Everybody is happy with the FIBA decision."

Gomes does not have an automatic berth in the squad as he could face competition from Guinea Bissau-born Manuel Sicó in the fight for the naturalized spot.

Getting Ready For Big Games

Portugal are at a training camp in Almada, near Lisbon, preparing for the Additional Qualifying Round.

In the AQR, they will take on Bosnia and Herzegovina and Belgium in Group A and if they finish top, Lopez's team will square off against the winners of Group B (France, Italy or Finland) in a home-and-away tie for the right to advance to the EuroBasket in Poland.

"Both teams (Bosnia and Herzegovina and Belgium) are difficult opponents, but what we are aiming for is to top the group and then do even better in the next round," Andrade said.

"We know it will be difficult, but we will do our best."

Portugal do not have the tallest team but they usually fight like lions.

"Usually we aren't concerned about what our opponents' size is," Andrade said.

"We care about ourselves first, then the others."

Going from Ukrainian Valentyn Melnychuk after EuroBasket 2007 to former Spain boss Lopez as coach didn't start well with three straight defeats last year in Division A but the Portuguese rebounded to win three in a row and make the Additional Qualifying Round.

"Moncho Lopez brought into the team the Spanish game-style, which is a bit similar to what the we are used to," Andrade said.

"It is true, we lack some height and weight, but we have the advantage of being quicker than most of opponents."

Portugal hosted the International Tournament of Almada last week and lost their final game to Brazil, 77-73.

"That defeat does not shake the positive work we have been doing lately," Andrade said.

"At least we prevented Brazil from scoring more than 90 points, which was their average in the first two games of the tournament [against Angola and Finland, respectively]."

Despite the strong contenders in the AQR, Carlos Andrade is confident.

"Where do I imagine myself in September?" Andrade said. "At the European championship in Poland, obviously. Our team does not have other thoughts, nor do I."

Andrade says the arrival of Lopez has been a real blessing for the national side.

"Moncho Lopez‘s introduction to the group has been a remarkable moment for me," he said.

"He started off by saying: 'Hello everybody, I am Moncho Lopez, and I want to be with you guys at the European Championship in Poland.'

"I can't forget his impressive first speech.

"If we fail to make it to Poland, it means that our opponents were better than us. It will not be the end of the world, but we will not allow them to be better than us."
http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_Di2iwHgGGdkHTuf-VXhnp1.articleMode_on.container_frontpage.html

Buzissa
07-18-2009, 11:17 PM
Portugal played today the Semi-Finals of the Lusophony Games and lost against Cape Verde: 67-66...
Tomorrow will be played the game against Brasil, to define which team is the 3rd.

pohani komarac
07-19-2009, 12:36 AM
In 2007 (Spain EuroBasket), João Gomes was the chosen one, one year later (EB2009 Qualifiers) and with a new coach, Carlos Andrade got his chance and both played well. It's great to our national team for this AQR...

where does he play now? I remember he had a great game against us in EB 2007. I tought he could be one of best SG/SF in europ but I don't here about him much latley

Luíz for 3
07-19-2009, 01:37 AM
where does he play now? I remember he had a great game against us in EB 2007. I tought he could be one of best SG/SF in europ but I don't here about him much latley

He plays for CB Breogán in LEB Oro from Spain. His evolution wasn't the expected and nowadays he isn't so important and influent as he was in a recent past...

Buzissa
07-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Portugal finished 3rd on Lusophony Games, after a win over Brasil, 95 to 71...

As Luíz for 3 said, he hadn't the expected evolution. At 2007, Melnynchuk only could select one of those two guys, the choice was "made easy" by the injury of Andrade. With the both in good physical conditions, I don't know if Gomes would be the selected... It would be a difficult choice: Gomes is more explosive and attacks more times the rim, Andrade is a good shooter, better on defense and agressive on the boards. At 2007 it would be a difficult choice, now is easy: Carlos Andrade.

ArnoldPettybone
08-12-2009, 07:43 AM
I read somewhere that two players from the national team got infected with the swine flu (Joau Figeyredo and Diogo Carreira). I wonder if there is any relation to the Christiano Ronaldo rumors that started spreading since yesterday..

rikhardur
08-12-2009, 03:09 PM
I read somewhere that two players from the national team got infected with the swine flu (Joau Figeyredo and Diogo Carreira). I wonder if there is any relation to the Christiano Ronaldo rumors that started spreading since yesterday..
No, those aren't rumours, both of them got infected. Don't know about Ronaldo. It´s João Figueiredo :p

rikhardur
08-24-2009, 10:25 PM
Guard José Costa retired from the national team at 35.

rikhardur
12-30-2009, 08:04 PM
João "Betinho" Gomes' big game in Spain (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=pt-PT&sl=pt&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fasemana.sapo.cv%2Fspip.php%3Farticl e48438%26ak%3D1)

rikhardur
02-02-2010, 07:35 PM
João "Betinho" Gomes dreams about the NBA (http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=pt-PT&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fasemana.sapo.cv%2Fspip.php%3Farticl e49503%26ak%3D1&sl=pt&tl=en)

rikhardur
06-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Portugal Coach Give Thumbs-Up To EuroBasket Expansion

Portugal's coach Moncho Lopez has praised FIBA Europe's decision to raise the number of teams from 16 to 24 for EuroBasket 2013.

The Portuguese won the hearts of all the spectators with a solid display at EuroBasket 2007 in Spain but missed out on EuroBasket 2009, falling in the Additional Qualifying Round.

The national team coach, Lopez, said: "This is fantastic news for Portugal. I think we now have more chances to qualify for EuroBasket 2013," he said to Basketball World News.

"Above all this move from FIBA Europe is a boost for the Portuguese players who are aiming to appear in such an important competition.

"This event is the showpiece of European Basketball that everyone wishes to take part in."

Lopez knows very well how special the EuroBasket is.

Seven years ago, he coached a young Spanish team that included Pau Gasol and Juan Carlos Navarro to the silver medal in Sweden.

"This decision decreases at a certain point the load we had on our shoulders to face more experienced opponents," Lopez said.

"In some cases, we had to play well beyond our limits."

As for Portugal this summer, Moncho is seeking to make some improvements.

"I'll promote two or three young players I have been monitoring for some time," he said.

"I'll be making their names public in the near future."

Portugal will gather on July 4 to start their preparations for a tough Division A campaign in the hope of reaching next year's EuroBasket in Lithuania.

Lopez's team are in group C along with Georgia, Belgium, Bulgaria and Poland.

"In theory our opponents are better than us," he said.

"But we are experienced enough to know that games must be won on the court, not on theoretical concepts.

"Bulgaria and Poland are the strongest opponents of the group."

Belgium will be no pushovers, either, as France discovered last summer when the Belgians won the first game of the Additional Qualifying Round Final against Les Bleus.

To get into that AQR Final, Belgium had to beat the Portuguese.

"Last year we lost two games to Belgium, but we showed that we can play at same level," Lopez said.

"Honestly, Georgia is an unknown team for me.

"I don't know much about their game.

"Facing those teams at home with the presence of our supporters will be a great experience for of us."

Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Germany, Italy and Slovenia have expressed their interest to host EuroBasket 2013.

Would Portugal be ambitious and add their name to the list of candidate countries?

"Portugal has the infrastructures, good press and basketball fans who live the game intensively, but it is not my decision if Portugal should bid to host the EuroBasket. Personally, I would love to see it happen."

Last year, Lopez accepted the dual-challenge of leading both Portugal's national side and FC Porto.

He's taken the opportunity and run with it, guiding FC Porto into this season domestic play-off Finals.

They face an uphill battle to win the title, though.

Porto are 2-0 down against their arch rivals Benfica in the best-of-seven series.

Next Friday, Porto will host Benfica in Game 3.

"We will turn this result around," Lopez said.

"I expected more from my players in the first two games, but Benfica played well and showed some quality."

Portugal will start their EuroBasket 2011 preparations on July 4 with a preliminary squad of 14 player.

Lopez will then reduce the group to 12 before takes off.

Portugal expect to play in an international tournament with Angola and Jordan, two teams that will play at the FIBA World Championship in Turkey in the summer.
http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_0L3aObY7JRsCVUjt9mjdR1.articleMode_on.contain er_frontpage.html

nmmb
06-24-2010, 12:46 AM
The Portuguese team for the 2011 Eurobasket Qualifying games:

Guards:Mário Fernandes (CAB Madeira), Pedro Pinto (Barreirense) e Miguel Minhava (Benfica).

Forwards: Miguel Graça (Barreirense), Carlos Andrade (FC Porto), Jaime Silva (Vitória de Guimarães), João Gomes (Breogan, Esp), João Santos (Benfica) e Heshimu Evans (Benfica).

Centers: Jorge Coelho (FC Porto), Miguel Miranda (Ovarense), Nuno Cortez (Ovarense), David Gomes (FC Porto), André Pinto (Ovarense) e Francisco Jordão (1º Agosto, Ang)

I don't get this selection!
I hope there is a good reason for the absence of Filipe Da Silva just to mention one!

rikhardur
06-24-2010, 01:21 AM
I hope there is a good reason for the absence of Filipe Da Silva just to mention one!
He had a great season, almost reaching triple-doubles in some games when it seemed that his career had reached a dead end. And French Pro B is still better than LPB. I also fail to understand his exclusion.
And Jordão being called again? I thought he had been (self) "banned" for good.

nmmb
06-24-2010, 12:03 PM
He had a great season, almost reaching triple-doubles in some games when it seemed that his career had reached a dead end. And French Pro B is still better than LPB. I also fail to understand his exclusion.
And Jordão being called again? I thought he had been (self) "banned" for good.

Also if he wants to get some youth in the team how about Manuel Sicó instead of André Pinto i would never leave Filipe Da Silva out!

Plus the first two options at guard are going to have difficulties at the defensive end. Minhava is just not that a good a defender and Mário Fernandes is just short.

Paulo Cunha i would like to see him there, but i can understand because he was injured for most of the season.

At last if he doesn't go for João Gomes as the naturalized player it would be rather odd, since is going all for youth and development. But i do agree Evans should be there as backup.

nmmb
06-26-2010, 02:21 PM
Filipe Da Silva has retired from the National Team after not being called by Moncho Lopez.

I don't blame him!

rikhardur
06-27-2010, 09:52 PM
Filipe Da Silva has retired from the National Team after not being called by Moncho Lopez.

I don't blame him!
Neither do I... Great job Moncho. Still, I hope he reconsiders when there's another head coach in the NT.

nmmb
06-27-2010, 10:14 PM
Just wanted to leave a quick word for Valentyn Melnychuk who has retired has a coach!

He took the Portuguese team to the Eurobasket 2007 where Portuguese achieved a great 9th Place!

nmmb
06-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Diogo Carreira has been left out of the national team due to illness.
He has a benign tumour that is being treated during the summer.

Hope all goes well!

rikhardur
07-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Francisco Jordão and Nuno Cortez failed to report to the NT, will suffer consequences. Why did they even bother to call Jordão :rolleyes:

nmmb
07-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Francisco Jordão and Nuno Cortez failed to report to the NT, will suffer consequences. Why did they even bother to call Jordão :rolleyes:

I fell things are not going very well! We are going to need a miracle...
It might be too early to point this out, and I hope it is, but Moncho Lopez hasn't brought anything good to team yet. I don't see this changing any time soon.
I hope i am wrong!

nmmb
07-09-2010, 10:58 PM
José Silva has joined the National Team to replace some absences!

nmmb
07-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Portugal 67-70 Finland

The Stats (http://oracle.fpb.pt/fpb_zone/portal/img/home_293/fotos/69081747531213200912.pdf)

nmmb
07-28-2010, 02:12 AM
Does anyone know if the qualification games will be televised?

Luíz for 3
08-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Does anyone know if the qualification games will be televised?

At least the home games will be televised in Portugal. Tomorrow 20h30, Portugal-Bulgaria, SportTV1.

Luíz for 3
09-06-2010, 12:52 AM
Moncho López could leave Portuguese NT. After some controversial affirmations (http://www.record.xl.pt/Modalidades/Basquetebol/interior.aspx?content_id=461084), where he said some players refused to play the last game vs. Georgia, FPB will assemble and decide his future.

nmmb
09-13-2010, 08:10 PM
Moncho López could leave Portuguese NT. After some controversial affirmations (http://www.record.xl.pt/Modalidades/Basquetebol/interior.aspx?content_id=461084), where he said some players refused to play the last game vs. Georgia, FPB will assemble and decide his future.

Let's just hope this isn't another Queiroz type thing :)
For the foreigners that don't follow Portuguese football basically it took two months to sack the NT Manager.

rikhardur
09-13-2010, 09:08 PM
Let's just hope this isn't another Queiroz type thing :)
For the foreigners that don't follow Portuguese football basically it took two months to sack the NT Manager.
:D I certainly hope not... But you never know. Some names? Palma?

rikhardur
12-04-2010, 09:31 PM
Ben Reed, Greg Stempin and Frederick Gentry are undergoing a process of naturalization.

Khalid80
12-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Ben Reed, Greg Stempin and Frederick Gentry are undergoing a process of naturalization.

How big will this be for the Portuguese NT? (In all honesty I have never heard of their names before)

rikhardur
12-05-2010, 05:58 PM
How big will this be for the Portuguese NT? (In all honesty I have never heard of their names before)
It's pretty big, all three are some of the best players in the league. And another good thing is that they're not as old as Heshimu Evans (35) who is the naturalised player of the team right now. Especially Reed who's 27 I think and is one of the references of the mid-range game of Benfica. Stempin plays as a centre too, but he's a power forward obviously, quite a hustler in the paint and that's what actually the NT needs. Gentry already played in Angola some years, he's more of an all-around player and a fierce rebounder.
I think any of them are good additions, but I'd definitely pick Stempin to play.
Well needless to say that this just comes to prove how poor Portuguese basketball is becoming and the Portuguese stars almost all belong to the past, no new stars rising or prospects developing properly. It's sad.

rikhardur
12-13-2010, 09:23 PM
Philippe Da Silva claims French ProB weekly honour - Dec 13, 2010 (by Eurobasket News)
Experienced naturalized Portuguese Philippe Da Silva (192-G-79) had an amazing evening in the last round for league's leader Evreux and that's him to receive a Eurobasket.com ProB Player of the Week award for round 12.
The 31-year old guard got a double-double of 23 points and fourteen assists, while his team beat St Vallier (#15, 4-8) 97-89. It allowed Evreux to jump to the first place in the Portuguese ProB. Evreux have a solid 10-2 record. In the team's last game Da Silva had a remarkable four three-pointers out of 7 attempts. It's his second year at Evreux and it's hard to imagine this team without him. Da Silva has impressive league stats. He is league's best passer with 8.4apg. Da Silva is in league's top in and averages solid 2.5spg.
http://www.eurobasket.com/France/basketball.asp?NewsID=211601

I really hope he reconsiders the retirement from the NT...

rikhardur
03-30-2011, 07:55 PM
Mário Palma is the new coach of the national team. He'll be assisted by Mário Gomes.
Excellent choice by the federation, high hopes on him :)

Khalid80
03-31-2011, 11:33 AM
Mário Palma is the new coach of the national team. He'll be assisted by Mário Gomes.
Excellent choice by the federation, high hopes on him :)

He's back to the mother ship :D

rikhardur
06-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Portuguese NT announced - Jun 3, 2011 (by Luis Filipe Cristovao)

Mario Leonel Palma announced the Portugal NT roster to training camp, preparing the Eurobasket Qualifying round, next August. The list is a mix between experienced and young players.

Jose Costa (187-G-73)
Antonio Tavares (183-G-75)
Miguel Minhava (197-G-83)
Tomas Barroso (180-G-90)
Carlos Andrade (197-F-78, college: Queens, NC)
Philippe Da Silva (192-G-79)
Joao Santos (205-C-79, college: Nevada)
Miguel Miranda (205-F-78)
Fernando Sousa (192-F/G-81)
Paulo Cunha (199-G/F-80)
Fabio Lima (196-F-88)
Jorge Coelho (200-C-78)
Joao Gomes (199-F-85)
Nuno Cortez (205-C-82)
Elvis Evora (205-C-78)
Claudio Fonseca (206-C-89)
Marco Goncalves (208-C-84)
http://www.eurobasket.com/Portugal/basketball.asp?NewsID=227737

rikhardur
06-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Veteran José Costa is again the captain of the NT.

Luíz for 3
08-23-2011, 03:01 PM
From the 13 players squad, Marco Gonçalves should be the last cut and this would be the final roster.

PG:
Filipe da Silva
Miguel Minhava
José Costa

SG:
Carlos Andrade
António Tavares
Fernando Sousa

SF:
João Santos
Paulo Cunha
José Silva

PF:
Miguel Miranda

C:
Élvis Évora
Cláudio Fonseca

Silvio
08-28-2011, 09:28 PM
From what I read here (http://www.basketpt.com/pt-prepara-eurobasket-2011-n1923) with a little help of Google Translate...I understand :

Paolo Cunha got injured in 2nd game vs Hungary and is out for Eurobasket. That probably means Goncalves is saved from cutting.
Also, Antonio Tavares got injured in 2nd game vs Finland and if can not go, then Tomas Barroso will replace him in a team for Eurobasket.

roster to be
António Tavares PG 1.84 10.12.1975 Benfica
Jose Costa PG 1.88 08.12.1973 Porto Ferpinta
Miguel Minhava SG 1.98 05.11.1983 Benfica
Cláudio Fonseca C 2.06 22.01.1989 Vitoria SC
Filipe da Silva PG 1.93 30.11.1979 Evreux (FRA)
Carlos Andrade GF 1.98 27.04.1978 Porto Ferpinta
Fernando Sousa GF 1.92 07.12.1981 Academica
Elvis Evora C 2.05 04.02.1978 Benfica
Miguel Miranda PF 2.05 09.10.1978 Porto Ferpinta
Joao Santos F 2.04 15.06.1979 Porto Ferpinta
José Silva SF 1.94 16.04.1989 Barreirense
Marco Goncalves C 2.06 22.04.1984 Ginasio

reserve
Tomas Barroso PG 1.80 02.11.1990 Ginasio

Silvio
08-28-2011, 09:35 PM
After a bit of googling, I found final roster here:
http://rr.sapo.pt/bolabranca_detalhe.aspx?fid=1217&did=170231

Guards: António Tavares (Benfica), José Costa (FC Porto), Miguel Minhava (Benfica) e Filipe da Silva (Paris-Levallois).

Wings: Fernando Sousa (Académica), Carlos Andrade (FC Porto), José Silva (Barreirense) e João Santos (FC Porto).

Biggies: Cláudio Fonseca (Vitória de Guimarães), Elvis Evora (Benfica), Marco Gonçalves (Ginásio Figueirense) e Miguel Miranda (FC Porto)

Absentees:
Heshimu Evans (Benfica), João Betinho Gomes (Benfica), Paulo Cunha (Vitória de Guimarães) e Nuno Cortez (Ovarense).

rikhardur
05-31-2012, 03:56 PM
SL Benfica
Tomás Barroso
Élvis Évora
Miguel Minhava
João Gomes

FC Porto
João Santos
Carlos Andrade

CAB Madeira
Mário Fernandes
Jaime Silva
Jorge Coelho
Fábio Lima
João Ferreirinho

FC Barreirense
José Silva
Miguel Queiroz
Pedro Pinto

AD Ovarense
Cristóvão Cordeiro
Fernando Neves

Plasencia
Cláudio Fonseca

Vitória SC
Paulo Cunha

AA Coimbra
Marco Gonçalves

Galitos FC
Rui Quintino

BC Barcelos
Nuno Oliveira
http://www.fpb.pt/fpb_portal/!fpb.go?s=3082824367&p=fpb.201020&t=fpb.200058&k_id_noticia=38140

JRS Bonnet
05-31-2012, 05:08 PM
If I had to choose 12 players from Mário Palma´s 21 men roster, I would go with:

PG Tomás Barroso (1.80, 1990)
PG Mário Fernandes (1.74, 1982)
PG Miguel Minhava (1.98, 1983)

SG/SF Paulo Cunha (2.00, 1980)
SG/SF Carlos Andrade (1.98, 1978)

SF João Gomes (2.01, 1985)
SF Fábio Lima (1.97, 1988)

F João Santos (2.04, 1979)

PF Miguel Queiróz (2.02, 1991)

PF/C Jorge Coelho (2.00, 1978)

C Elvis Évora (2.05, 1978)
C Cláudio Fonseca (2.06, 1989)

JRS Bonnet
07-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Mário Palma announced the first players to be cut from the NT:

Pedro Pinto (PG, 1.85, 1988, F.C. Barreirense)
João Ferreirinho (C, 2.04, 1988, C.A.B. Madeira)
Marco Gonçalves (C, 2.06, 1984, Académica de Coimbra)

JRS Bonnet
07-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Two more players were cut from the Portuguese NT:
SG/SF Fernando Neves (A.D. Ovarense, 1.94, 1980)
PF/C Cristóvão Cordeiro (A.D. Ovarense, 1.99, 1989)
Due to unspecified personal problems it is doubtful that SG/SF Carlos Andrade (F.C. Porto, 1.98, 1978) represents Portugal this summer:(.

JRS Bonnet
07-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Miguel Queiróz (PF, 2.02, 1991) was cut from the national team.

Portugal will play 2 games against Great Britain (14 and 15 July) and 2 more against Bulgaria (18 and 19 July).

JRS Bonnet
07-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Great Britain 83 ‒ Portugal 68

Game stats can be found here:

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/20589/05/64/90/16FwXE03EbDo/

Tomorrow at 15h00 (local time ‒ the same as in Portugal) there will be a rematch. Try the link below for live streaming.

http://www.hoopsfix.com/2012/07/live-stream-gb-vs-portugal-basketball/

JRS Bonnet
07-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Great Britain 86 - Portugal 66

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/20589/05/64/91/97smEndq4NUUo/

Two notes on the Portuguese NT:

1. Cláudio Fonseca (2.06, 1989) will probably start at center (5.5 points, 5.5 rebounds and 2.0 blocks against G.B.);

2. The team’s cornerstone is formed by the trio João Gomes (SF, 15.0, 5.5 rebounds), João Santos (F, 12.5 points, 3 rebounds) and Paulo Cunha (F, 9 points and 9 rebounds ‒ played only the 2nd game against G.B.).

JRS Bonnet
07-18-2012, 07:58 PM
Bulgaria 68 ‒ Portugal 64

http://bgbasket.com/en/stats.php?id=153662

Another good game by João Gomes: 20 points (3/4 behind the arch), 6 rebounds, 2 steals and 2 blocks.

Tomorrow, July 19, Portugal will again face Bulgaria.

JRS Bonnet
07-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Bulgaria 66 ‒ Portugal 72

http://bgbasket.com/en/stats.php?id=153663

Although Kaloyan Ivanov, Dejan Ivanov (both players will not take part in the 2013 EuroBasket qualification campaign) and Cedric Simmons didn’t play, this is still a quality win for Portugal.
João Gomes lead the team in scoring (17 points, 5 rebounds and 3 assists). Mário Fernandes, coming off the bench, contributed with 15 points and 5 assists. José Silva had a perfect-shooting day: 5/5 field-goals (2 three-pointers).

José Silva

Portugal's next game is against Germany (27th July).

JRS Bonnet
07-25-2012, 10:31 PM
João Santos, out for two weeks due to a minor injury, won’t be able to play Portugal’s next three games:

Germany ‒ Portugal (27th July, 18h30 C.E.T.)
Israel ‒ Portugal (28th July, 17h00 C.E.T.)
Austria ‒ Portugal (29th July, 18h30 C.E.T.)

After 4 friendly matches, João Santos is posting rather mediocre numbers: 7.25 points, 2.75 rebounds (he had however a very good game against Great Britain ‒ 16 points, 6 rebounds).

João Santos

JRS Bonnet
07-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Due to João Santosʼ injury, Miguel Queiróz (PF, 2.02, 1991) will return to the Portuguese national team.

Miguel Queiróz

JRS Bonnet
07-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Germany 79 ‒ Portugal 77

I can´t find stats for this match. Any help would be welcome.

JRS Bonnet
07-28-2012, 12:12 PM
Germany 79 ‒ Portugal 77

Once more, João Gomes was Portugal’s main attacking threat: 16 points, 6 rebounds and 2 assists. This time, he was well backed up by «atomic ant» Mário Fernandes (13 points, 6 assists), Jaime Silva (12 points, 3 steals, 4/5 from 3-point range) and Miguel Minhava (11 points, 2 rebounds and 2 assists).

Try the link below for game stats (only Portugal):

http://www.fpb.pt/fpb_zone/portal/img/home_293/fotos/45662068742849521268.pdf

For the German squad I was only able to find out who played and scored:

Heiko Schaffartzik (PG, 1.83) ˗ 17
Jan-Hendrik Jagla (PF/C, 2.13) ˗ 12
Bastian Doreth (PG, 1.82) ˗ 11
Tibor Pleiß (C, 2.15) ˗ 10
Robin Benzing (SF, 2.09) ˗ 9
Karsten Tadda (SG, 1.90) ˗ 6
Malik Zirbes (C, 2.07) ˗ 4
Philip Zwiener (SF, 2.01) ˗ 4
Tim Olbrecht (PF/C, 2.10) ˗ 3
Philipp Schwethelm (SF, 2.01) ˗ 3.

JRS Bonnet
07-28-2012, 06:18 PM
Israel 94 ‒ Portugal 100

An impressive win against Israel. Five players scored in double figures: Miguel Minhava (11), Tomás Barroso (11), Fábio Lima (13), Mário Fernandes (14) and… :)João Gomes (26).

Tomás Barroso

JRS Bonnet
07-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Portugal, Israel, Germany and Austria sent their basketball national teams to Oberwart (Burgerland, Austria), a.k.a. «basket limbo», a place where detailed basketball statistics seem to fall into the category of «official secrets of the municipality».

Edit: Portuguese NT stats can be found here:

http://www.fpb.pt/fpb_zone/portal/img/home_293/fotos/93176746002838391168.pdf (Three cheers for the Portuguese Basketball Federation)

As for the stats of the Israelite team, their location is anybody’s guess.

Portugal’s friendly matches have been a pleasant surprise: 2 wins against higher-ranked teams (Israel and Bulgaria) and a plethoric João Gomes allow us to foster a slim hope of qualifying for the 2013 EuroBasket. However, the lack of inside scoring is a major concern.

JRS Bonnet
07-29-2012, 06:59 PM
Austria 69 ‒ Portugal 65

Stats can be found here (Portuguese NT only):

http://www.fpb.pt/fpb_zone/portal/img/home_293/fotos/36359703813142541168.pdf

João Gomes (15 points, 9 rebounds and 1 block), Mário Fernandes (10 points, 4 rebounds and 3 assists) and Miguel Minhava (8 points, 4 rebounds) were Portugal’s leading scorers.

Mário Fernandes

JRS Bonnet
08-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Portugal 84 ‒ Switzerland 66

Three wins in 8 games for the Portuguese NT. This time, for a change, Paulo Cunha (SF, 2.00, 1980) led the team: 19 points (6/6 FG, 6/6 FT), 4 rebounds. Excellent game by young PG Tomás Barroso (1.80, 1990): 14 points (4/5 from behind the arch), 5 rebounds.

Stats for this game (Portugal only) can be found here:

http://www.fpb.pt/fpb_zone/portal/img/home_293/fotos/27868510470445051068.pdf

As far as the Swiss team, I only know who their leading scorers were: David Ramseier (PF/C, 2.03, 1987) scored 16 (with 8 rebounds) and so did Dusan Mladjan (SF, 1.98, 1986).

Paulo Cunha

JRS Bonnet
08-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Portugal 75 ‒ Switzerland 87

I couldn’t find detailed stats for this game.

João Gomes 15 points, 10 rebounds and 1 assist
Elvis Évora 11
Miguel Minhava 10
Tomás Barroso 9
Nuno Oliveira 8
Jaime Silva 6
Paulo Cunha 6
Fábio Lima 6
Mário Fernandes 2
Cláudio Fonseca 2

Jorge Coelho and Miguel Queiróz didn’t score, Rui Quintino and José Silva didn’t play.

Elvis Évora

JRS Bonnet
08-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Austria 65 ‒ Portugal 54

The Portuguese NT (3-7) is in Sarajevo where it will face Bosnia-Herzegovina today (August 10th). Yesterday, we were defeated by the Austrians (again!).

João Gomes: 11 points, 8 rebounds and 6 steals;
Cláudio Fonseca: 11 points, 6 rebounds;
Elvis Évora: 8 points, 6 rebounds.

It was nice to see our big man being more active.

For the Austrians:

Jason Dietrick (SG/SF, 1.98, 1980): 14 points;
Rasid Mahalbasic (PF/C, 2.10, 1990): 11 points;
Thomas Klepeisz (PG, 1.88 1991): 10 points.

Cláudio Fonseca

JRS Bonnet
08-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Bosnia & Herzegovina 91 ‒ Portugal 81

This was the last of the 11 friendly matches played by Portugal (3-8).

João Gomes (23 points and 7 rebounds against Bosnia) averaged 16.7 points and 6.4 rebounds in 11 games.
Veteran SG Jaime Silva stepped-up against Bosnia: 14 points.

For the Bosnians:

Mirza Teletovic ‒ 33 points
Nihad Djedovic ‒ 26 points. This young and talented player is having a great preparation campaign with Bosnia and will excel with ALBA Berlin.

Jaime Silva

JRS Bonnet
08-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Portugal will start its qualification campaign against Italy (Sassari, 15th August).

There were15 players involved in the friendly matches:

:)João Gomes ‒ 16.7 points (11 games)
Miguel Minhava ‒ 8.5 (10)
Mário Fernandes ‒ 8.3 (11)
João Santos ‒ 7.3 (4)
Paulo Cunha ‒ 6.0 (10)
Tomás Barroso ‒ 5.9 (11)
Cláudio Fonseca ‒ 5.8 (11)
Jaime Silva ‒ 4.8 (10)
José Silva ‒ 4.4 (5)
Fábio Lima ‒ 4.4 (10)
Elvis Évora ‒ 4.3 (11)
Jorge Coelho ‒ 3.9 (9)
Nuno Oliveira ‒ 3.1 (9)
Miguel Queiróz ‒ 2.0 (1)
Rui Quintino ‒ 0.5 (4)

If João Santos recovers from his injury, Mário Palma needs to cut three players: Miguel Queiróz? Rui Quintino? José Silva? Nuno Oliveira?

Portugal will fight Belarus for the 4th place and try to put up a decent show against Italy, Turkey (scary frontcourt) and the Czech Republic.

Italian Pride
08-11-2012, 11:49 PM
why will do you cut three players?we have 16 players and we don't cut no one player...

we will remain 16 until the end of qualifying, selecting from time to time the 12 players...

good luck for the qualifies :)

JRS Bonnet
08-12-2012, 12:42 AM
why will do you cut three players?we have 16 players and we don't cut no one player...

we will remain 16 until the end of qualifying, selecting from time to time the 12 players...

good luck for the qualifies :)

Thanks! I didn't know that.

JRS Bonnet
08-16-2012, 01:43 PM
Italy 97 ‒ Portugal :(45

Portugal suffered a crushing and demoralizing defeat in Sassari. The starting five included 2 point-guards (Mário Fernandes and Miguel Minhava) and a SF (Paulo Cunha) at the PF position... Let’s hope João Santos is fit for the remaining games. Veteran Jaime Silva made his case for the starting SG job (8 points in 18 minutes, 3/4 FG, 2/2 from behind the arch, 2 steals).

JRS Bonnet
08-21-2012, 11:18 PM
Portugal 67 ‒ Czech Republic 74

With Mário Fernandes out, and though Miguel Minhava was the starting PG, Portugal played better with young Tomás Barroso (9 points, 5 assists) at the helm. One thing is certain: Jaime Silva is not afraid to shoot threes (20 points, 6/13 from behind the arch). Erratic João Gomes. Cláudio Fonseca tries hard and Elvis Évora is soooooo tired. On a positive note, João Santos is back and Portugal’s hustle play was encouraging.

It was nice to have seen Francisco Jordão on the stands: his early retirement is one of the saddest stories of recent Portuguese basketball history.

JRS Bonnet
08-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Turkey 74 ‒ Portugal 62

This was Portugal’s best game so far.

Cláudio Fonseca was very active today (16 points, 10 rebounds and 1 block) and João Gomes was back to his usual self (19 points, 8 rebounds ‒ it’s amazing how good a rebounder he is: 7.3 rpg).

It saddens me to think that João Santos (10P, 7R and 5 steals) has yet to find a team…

By the way, Portugal outrebounded :)Turkey (41-36)!

I don´t speak Turkish but I believe that the Turkish TV commentators said a few words about the extinction of F.C. Porto’s basketball section.