Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do all strong teams in the world will play in WC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do all strong teams in the world will play in WC?

There're many basketball fans in my country, but I'm afraid the WC will not interest them, like the Russians or other bball lovers from countries that weren't good enough to earn tickets to Japan.
    No doubt, the best teams in Europe won the tickets to WC, but does it mean all other WC participants are better than Russia, Israel or some other good teams from european groups? For example, we saw some days ago Senegal in preparation tournament in Lithuania and it was the worst team in the tournament. Liths are no doubt very strong team, but also Israel and Russia have played much better than WC participant. Of course, I want to see Senegal and other teams from all over the world in WC, but why not to expand the tournament and to let some more 3-4 interesting teams from european groups to be part of it?
    MACCABI TEL AVIV
    Belgrade 1977 Strasbourg 1981 Paris 2001 Tel Aviv 2004 Moscow 2005

I believe that whether teams deserve to be there or they don't.
    I like Russia very much and they have always been a good team, but they didn't make it to the WC... Those who were clearly better (even if not in a continuous way) are there and deserve it, that's all.
    It makes all the sense to me, otherwise the whole thing would be preverted so to speak.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Comment

i can see your point arik but it wouldn't make it "fair". i personally go against the idea of having more teams from europe and expanding more in other nations if the goal is to globalize the game. same goes with football/soccer i think too many teams come from europe although i understand the bettre teams are there. i personally wanted to see canada in the wc. and an expansion in asia(east asia/southeast asia) ovcer another team in europe
      "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Arik
        but why not to expand the tournament and to let some more 3-4 interesting teams from european groups to be part of it?
        more expansion?!?!

untill now there were 16 teams participating,
        this year its gonna be for the first a 24 teams tournament...
        FIBA can not make an expansion in every tournament!!

24 teams are more than enough...

if it was still 16 teams, and most of the asian and african teams didnt play would mind that Russia didnt also play?

they added more teams to make the competition accesable to more countries outside europe...

Comment

someday i hope for it to go to 32, but this should be the cap. with a more expansion to asia and americas(north and south), a couple of teams from europe and africa as well.
          "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur
            <...>I like Russia very much and they have always been a good team, but they didn't make it to the WC...
            If Russia would made it, Lithuania wouldn't... they were plaing for that, after loosing quarterfinals.
            As one of my friends said, "groups in the Europe soccer and/or basketball championships are always harder than in the World championship".
            Imho, some teams seems to be really week, it's good for bbl globalisation overall
            2nd in IBN EuroBasket 2011 Prediction!
            2nd in IBN EuroBasket 2013 Prediction!
            MVP in IBN EuroBasket 2013 Prediction! # Correct W-L: re5pectas (59)
            All-Tornament Team in IBN EuroBasket 2015 Prediction! Perfect score: re5pectas (7)
            All-Tornament Team in IBN World Cup 2019 Prediction! Perfect score: re5pectas (5)
            2nd in IBN Olympic 2020 Predicion! Perfect score: re5pectas (2) Within 8: re5pectas (8) # Correct W-L: re5pectas (23)

Comment

Originally posted by Phantim3dx
              i can see your point arik but it wouldn't make it "fair". i personally go against the idea of having more teams from europe and expanding more in other nations if the goal is to globalize the game. same goes with football/soccer i think too many teams come from europe although i understand the bettre teams are there. i personally wanted to see canada in the wc. and an expansion in asia(east asia/southeast asia) ovcer another team in europe
              fiba is trying to make internatonal basketball like fifa where they bring all the teams from europe to increase thier chances or winning. they dont need any more encouragement. as it stands i agree we need more teams from asia and african anyway.

Comment

why would I pay to see Argentina roll over Lebanon when I can see Argentina play Russia, Croatia or Virgin Islands, which are better teams than Lebanon anyway?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by -K2-
                  why would I pay to see Argentina roll over Lebanon when I can see Argentina play Russia, Croatia or Virgin Islands, which are better teams than Lebanon anyway?
                  Because, it's the "world" cup, not the "best teams in the world" tournament. Besides, after the first stage, you have your very good 16 teams.

Originally posted by Arik
                  Of course, I want to see Senegal and other teams from all over the world in WC, but why not to expand the tournament and to let some more 3-4 interesting teams from european groups to be part of it?
                  I can see your point, but even the 16th team from Europe might be better than some WC participants, so there's no end of it. It's inevitable that some better teams could not participitate.

if 16 European, 5 American, 2 Oceania, 1 Asian teams were there, could you call the event a world championship?
                  5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

Originally posted by sariss
                    Because, it's the "world" cup, not the "best teams in the world" tournament. Besides, after the first stage, you have your very good 16 teams.

I can see your point, but even the 16th team from Europe might be better than some WC participants, so there's no end of it. It's inevitable that some better teams could not participitate.

if 16 European, 5 American, 2 Oceania, 1 Asian teams were there, could you call the event a world championship?
                    then bring all em nations and play one freaking tournamen of over 100+ to please everybody
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by -K2-
                      then bring all em nations and play one freaking tournamen of over 100+ to please everybody
                      Playing each against each home and away and we'll get the best in about ... a decade?

Comment

Originally posted by sariss

Well, World Cup should be - best teams of the world and it is possible to make that sort of competition. If FIBA would only allow qualifications between european nations against african, south american and etc that didn't manage to qualify through the EC and similar competitions.

Comment

12 teams from Europe, 6 from Americal, 2 from Asia, 2 from Africa and 2 from Oceania makes more sense, but since FIBA wants to expend the product, theres nothing that we can do right now.
                          Sexuality when one reaches their 30s is either mainstream or sick, but no matter what, it isn't pure

Comment

that doesnt make sense. it would make sense if all the teams in the world played eah other but for some guys at fiba is simply pick 12 european teams to play the game is lopsided.

Comment

Originally posted by QuizCro
                              Well, World Cup should be - best teams of the world and it is possible to make that sort of competition.
                              keep in mind that World Cup IS the tournament for the best teams in the World. if the team did not make it to the top 6 in Europe just a year ago, what on earth makes you believe it's got a shot at being the best in the World? if to many European teams will be allowed, the tournament may collapse. USA are already looking at it through fingers, everyone wants Europe to have a new quallification tournament (that could ruin the European basketball and also international basketbal afterwards), but you advertise even larger controversy. no need for that, especially after the latest inflation of the tournament. the only thing that should be reviewed for the next tournement, imho, is the wild card system. maybe there are to many of these, maybe one wild card would be enough (in case the US flops in the Americas tournament )
                              stop russia

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information