PDA

View Full Version : NT's besides your own you're rooting for in '09

Dtown
05-21-2009, 06:39 AM
With the US effectively taking the year off, I can't help but look at some of the National teams I'll be pulling for in the upcoming tournaments this summer.

In Europe I like team Great Britain.
I started following them once it I realized they would get an automatic bid for 2012. At first I thought it was funny, then found boards with people seriously trying to push the sport in the country, the fact that several NBA players have signed on make them more of a realistic threat. I know a lot of people online from the UK and I'd love to see the sport gain ground their before 2012. They're not going to win Eurobasket, but a top 8 isn't out of the question and with FIBA's wild card that might be enough to make into the World Championships.

In Asia I like the Philippines
A general rule I have about events that I don't have a direct stake in, when in doubt go with the rabid fan base. The fans of the Philippines seem to dwarf every other national team on this board, and haven't been to a world championships or olympics since 1978?! That seems criminal, from what I've seen from the Asian national teams they won't be favored to come in third this tournament, but I can't help rooting for the underdog on this one.

donmar
05-21-2009, 07:40 AM
Aside from the Philippines... I'm supporting Team USA of course... the New Zealand Tall Blacks and Lebanon...

BlacKOEIsle
05-21-2009, 08:28 AM
America:Agentina
Europe:Spain
Asia:China,Lebanon,Phillipine(the 3 countries who favor basketball most)

Saskibaloia
05-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Americas: URUGUAY!!!!
Asia: PHILIPPINES!!! (my beloved motherland)
Oceania: if I can't support my own country thus I've got to support my cousins across the Tasman
Europe: hmmmmm... I used to be a fan of the German team because I used to be a fan of the German Bomber (especially after his AWESOME performance in the EuroBasket 2007 Tournament) ... well, I'll say Germany

g.g
05-22-2009, 12:35 AM
With the US effectively taking the year off, I can't help but look at some of the National teams I'll be pulling for in the upcoming tournaments this summer.

In Europe I like team Great Britain.
I started following them once it I realized they would get an automatic bid for 2012. At first I thought it was funny, then found boards with people seriously trying to push the sport in the country, the fact that several NBA players have signed on make them more of a realistic threat. I know a lot of people online from the UK and I'd love to see the sport gain ground their before 2012. They're not going to win Eurobasket, but a top 8 isn't out of the question and with FIBA's wild card that might be enough to make into the World Championships.

In Asia I like the Philippines
A general rule I have about events that I don't have a direct stake in, when in doubt go with the rabid fan base. The fans of the Philippines seem to dwarf every other national team on this board, and haven't been to a world championships or Olympics since 1978?! That seems criminal, from what I've seen from the Asian national teams they won't be favored to come in third this tournament, but I can't help rooting for the underdog on this one.Am with you Dtown, after Greece this summer I support the GB team. They are trying hard to push bb in a nation that football is the only sport that counts...all the rest are sports just for the TV and Olympics....Even cricket and rugby that have some support are nothing in comparison with FB, let alone bb! Its a shame because GB had a very poor draw for the Euro this summer. Even one win in their group that would bring them into the 3rd place and to the next stage is highly unlikely. I do hope for a small miracle so the British media may be forced to pay some attention to their national bb team.

donmar
05-22-2009, 03:38 AM
Am with you Dtown, after Greece this summer I support the GB team. They are trying hard to push bb in a nation that football is the only sport that counts...all the rest are sports just for the TV and Olympics....Even cricket and rugby that have some support are nothing in comparison with FB, let alone bb! Its a shame because GB had a very poor draw for the Euro this summer. Even one win in their group that would bring them into the 3rd place and to the next stage is highly unlikely. I do hope for a small miracle so the British media may be forced to pay some attention to their national bb team.

I agree, after Football, the second most popular sports is probably rugby union and some of the rugby teams are sharing grounds with the football teams... though, rugby is kinda doing good in Britain as a whole... especially with the increasing arrival of world-class players from South Africa, Australia and New Zealand...

Basketball should be interesting... Loul Deng manage to persuade one of his teammates to naturalized... the BBL was interesting, one of New Zealand's greatest players and former national team captain Pero Cameron played for a couple of teams and won some championships before he left to join the Australian NBL...

Delibasic
05-22-2009, 04:23 AM
i fully support only bosnia, but like to see croatia and serbia do well

mohsena2631
05-22-2009, 05:07 AM
Europe: Italy, Serbia, Greece
Asia: Kazakhstan, Syria

daniab
05-22-2009, 05:07 AM
Asia (Lebanon,Philippines)
Europe (Germany),with Germany in all the sports :D
Africa (Angola)
America (USA)

alermac
05-22-2009, 06:45 AM
Americas: Uruguay, no doubt
Africa: Angola, although i'd love to see Cape Verde repeat their 2007 feat
Asia: Japan.

Mindozas
05-22-2009, 08:35 AM
Europe: besides Lithuania, I'll be cheering for Croatia and Slovenia

Americas: Brazil and Puerto-Rico

Asia: Phillipines and Lebanon

Africa: Angola is my favorite team there, but it mostly bacause I know them best. Still I liked Nigeria in last WC, also Senegal is on my list, sadly Mamadou N'diaye is not gonna play there this year

Greed
05-22-2009, 08:48 AM
Americas: No one
Europe: Slovenia, Latvia. (Ofcourse Nr1. Lithuania)
Africa: No one
Asia: No one

Khalid80
05-22-2009, 09:17 AM
Asia (China)
Europe (Greece)
Africa (Nigeria, Egypt)
Americas (USA, Argentina)
Pacific (New Zealand :D)

pohani komarac
05-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Europ: Lithania, BiH
America: Argentina
Asia: never had any clue abot Asian bb but since I joined this forum a become fan of Phillipines
Africa:no one
Pacific: Bogut:D

T.W.Is.M.
05-22-2009, 09:32 PM
Europe: Lithuania
S.America: Argentina

raichu08
05-23-2009, 12:57 AM
Europe: Lithuania, Germany
Asia: Indonesia (Except when they're battling Philippines),
Cambodia and Brunei (For having guts to send basketball teams even when they'll get blown by 50-100 points. Extra Props to Cambodia whose half of the team does not wear and cannot afford basketball shoes).

reamily
05-23-2009, 02:55 AM
Asia: Indonesia (Except when they're battling Philippines),
Cambodia and Brunei (For having guts to send basketball teams even when they'll get blown by 50-100 points. Extra Props to Cambodia whose half of the team does not wear and cannot afford basketball shoes).

hehe I like the guts thing hehe cheering for indonesia(because they play small and doing wonders) indonesia style is the traditional rp style of basketball never back down and "diskarte" type of basketball really Boyzie, Bong Ramos, Nat Canson and Joe Lipa do wonders of transferring their technology to indonesia.

wardjdim
05-23-2009, 07:10 AM
Serbia in Europe
Argentina in America
Hardly any interest in the other continents

TrueBluePinoy
05-23-2009, 08:04 AM
Americas: Team USA
Asia: Lebanon (we share the same passion), China (Asian domination), The Southeast asian countries (except Thailand).
Europe: Great Britain, Lietuva, Hellas, Espanya, Serbia, Croatia.
Africa: Angola

robbe
05-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Lithuania, Greece, Serbia in Europe
Argentina in South America

Straight forward
05-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Europe: Croatia, Spain, Greece, Slovenia, Latvia.
America: Argentina, USA, Brazil, Puerto Rico.
Asia: China, not much more to choose from.
Africa: Angola definitely. I remember how good they looked in Olympics 2004.

rikhardur
05-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Europe: Lithuania, Germany, Russia and maybe Spain as well.
Americas: Argentina
Oceania : Australia
Asia: China, Iran

krikit
05-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Europe: France, GB & Slovenia
Africa: Mali, Cameroon & Nigeria

ThreeStars&aSun
05-24-2009, 08:28 AM
I'll be supporting Team Pilipinas, Team Spain, Australia Boomers, Argentina, Greece, Iran and Lebanon.

Levenspiel
05-24-2009, 10:56 AM
Looks like Lithuania is the common favorite... add me also to the list... Latvia is the other team I always like to support...

Mindozas
05-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Looks like Lithuania is the common favorite... add me also to the list... Latvia is the other team I always like to support...

damn, how I forgot about Latvia :confused: of course it's the NT, which I'll support along with Croatia and Slovenia

PUGOtipm
05-26-2009, 08:50 PM
I like GB chances with their new recruit Ben Gordon. Deng is their naturalized player right? and BG was born in London... They are very familiar with each others games and both are very good scorers.

Argentina and USA are still the favorites in Fiba Americas with maybe Brazil and Puerto Rico will provided the good competitions.

Asia will be the most interesting Tournament with the most number of up and coming power teams in the Basketball. I like the way the Iranians are playing as well as Lebanese they play the same way the Filipinos plays basketball, Lots of running and outside shooting they are just taller than the Pinoys.

robbe
05-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Lithuania and Greece are always among my favourites, I like the upcoming Serbia roster a lot, plus Croatia and Slovenia.

Miškinis
05-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Europe: Slovenia.
America: Brazil.
Asia: China.
Oceania: Australia.
Africa: no one.

damelo
05-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Spain.

Cibos
06-16-2009, 10:04 AM
I always support Lithuania and Slovenia and i hope for Spain and Greece to flop as bad as they can. Can't help myself :)

Nikoo
06-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Europe: Great Britain(several of my favorite players)
Asia: Iran(I always root for Iran - football, volleyball, basketball, dunno why:confused:)
Americas: USA, USA 2(Puerto Rico:p)
Africa: Nigeria(great players)

donmar
06-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Europe: Great Britain(several of my favorite players)
Asia: Iran(I always root for Iran - football, volleyball, basketball, dunno why:confused:)
Americas: USA, USA 2(Puerto Rico:p)
Africa: Nigeria(great players)

is this a cheap shot for K2?:D...

cod3breaker
07-22-2009, 10:58 PM
Europe: Germany
America: USA
Asia: Lebanon
Oceania: Australia

:D

saints13
07-26-2009, 05:52 AM
Europa: Espaņa - Gasol bros. and the gang Rubio and Fernanderz
Asya: Lebanon - coz of Fadi El Khatib
Americas: Argentina over USA - coz of Scola and Ginobili
Africa: None
Ocenia: None

chucky
07-26-2009, 07:04 AM
Americas: USA, Argentina
Oceania : Australia
Asia: Lebanon, Philp

b3lowzro
07-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Americas: Brazil
Asia: Iran
Europe: Lithuania
Oceania: Australia
Antarctica: None

elaj
07-26-2009, 01:35 PM
Lithuania, Germany in Europe.
Argentina in America.

zyy
07-26-2009, 07:11 PM
Croatia, Slovenia in Europe,
Argentina, Brasil in Americas,
I rarely have a chance to see African or Asian teams playing, therefor I can't name my favourites.

raph
07-27-2009, 12:17 PM
According to half european base fans (not ours, that's what matters), you have a chance to see an african team if you watch french nt ;)

Anyway, sarcasm apart, for my part :

croatia/slovenia (depends on who is playing though)
argentina

I tend to follow turkey as well in big championship, they are often fun to watch (many buzzer beaters and lots of young prospects that get a chance to play).

Maybe lithuania/latvia in the next years (cf their talented prospects ā rosters)

Maximus1984
07-27-2009, 01:13 PM
Europe: Germany ( I love the german people, they are persistant people who know how to fight for their goals)
America: US and A :P all the way
Asia: I support my Philippino and Jordanian friends
Africa: South Africa (I love the country, no idea about their bball team)
Pacific: Aussie Aussie Aussie

sickcurtain_16
08-12-2009, 04:27 PM
USA, Serbia, Russia, Lebanon, China

Aside from my own of course, Pilpinas.:)

WIZARD
08-17-2009, 02:59 PM
Europe : Serbia , greece
Asia :Jordan (my country) they will be in turkey next year...and lebanon and philippines
africa:tunisia

Gytaz
08-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Europe: Latvia, Croatia, Slovenia.
America: Argentina, Canada.
Asia: Philippines

Oceania is booring and I don't really know too much about African basketball, so it would be hard to pick a favorite.

Buran
08-25-2009, 02:56 AM
Asia: Philippines(I like how passionate the philippinos are for their basketball team. having a solid fan base and an enthusiastic population is a big plus for excelling in any sport)

Europe: Lithuania (I have always been impressed at the quality of their basketball for a country of only 3.5mil people)

America: Brazil (I liked the Brazil team during the 1992 Olympics with Oscar Schmidt). But, Argentina has had a very impressive team lately.

kerdito
08-25-2009, 07:46 AM
At the moment of course USA are the best, other than that:
America: I love Brazil but Argentina are always better in Basketball.
Europe: Spain, Lithuania.
Africa: Tunisa were impressing in the last tournament, but Angol are always on top.
Asia: Iran besides My own Lebanese team.
Oceania: AUS of course specially when Patrick Mills would be back I think they might make some noise in Turkey.