2006 PBA Draft Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 PBA Draft Preview

"Out of the 51 hopefuls, at least 11 will make an impact. And when I say impact, I mean some of them will become franchise players" - Noli Eala

Eveyone's anticipating the upcoming PBA draft this Aug 20. Majority of the Basketball junkies and afficionados, even PBA commisioner himself Noli Eala are blatantly hyping up that the abundance of this year's talent is similar to the calss of 89(Paras, Agustin, Asaytono, Bong Alvarez, Marata, etc.) Well, did the people suddenly forget the class of 2003 (Alapag, Cortez, Cablay, Carey, Adducul, Villanueva, Ferriols)? C'mon now! I think this year's draft class is TOO HYPED UP. 11 future franchise players? I dont think so, probably two of this year's draft class will be a potential superstar. Dont get me wrong tho', I think this bunch is a helluva good one, better than last year, i must say. Now, let's do the nitty-gritty. Let's break it down and see what could posisbly happen, which player goes to what team.

Number 1 pick, Sta Lucia:
    The constant PBA cellar-dweller have already made clearly known that thy're gonna pick FEU standout Arwind Santos. I must say, that's a joke waiting to happen! What's wrong with them? First, they publicly announced that Santos is the most talented skipper in the bunch; a quick and dim-witted comment, i should say. Im sure Williams and DeVance will have a say on that as well. Second, they said that they want him because they badly need a big man. Let's face it, we all know that Santos is going to struggle playing the 4 position (We're not even talking about playing Center here) in the Big league. If they want him to be effective enough, thay should play him at the 3, which is owned by already blossoming forward Nelbert Omolon (unless thay make him play shooting guard). An Aqino-Espino-Santos frontline doest sound so bad. However, ian ideal world, Santos would be a steady starting small forward in any PBA team. Enough said!

Sta. Lucia's "No Fil-am mentality" is really getting immature. We all know you need a slot-man like DeVance (let's hope he beats the deadline). A 6'6 offensively-gifted foward who can play the post, who has a decent perimeter game, can knock down that 3-pointer (not that common in the PBA for his size) and he can also run the floor. Not to mention, he's also unselfish, he can dish it out on double-teams.. Picking Kelly Wiliiams aint that bad either. No need to mention tid-bits about him, im sure everbody knows what Williams can do. Im just gonna say, he's the most versatile player in the darft. Lastly, if Cabagnot will be serious on his dissapearing act, they might think of getting former Ateneo mainstay La Tenorio or even draft sleeper Chris Pacana. What a big shock it would be to see Tenorio or Pacana as the top pick...

If this teams even wants to go further this coming season, getting Santos wouldnt get them anywhere.

Second and 4th pick, Air 21:
    This young and promising quintet has thier sights glued on either Williams, PCU-star Gabby Espinas or point guard La Tenorio (based on the news and hearsay). Both arent bad picks, but not exactly what they need. Kelly naturally plays the 3-4 position, he can also play the off-guard and center if needed. A Williams-Cañaleta tandem sounds exciting indeed, but there's Ranidel de Ocampo and Mark Telan to cepete minutes with. It would be the same case with Espinas. Tenorio, on the other hand, will have to squeeze himself with brutish Winnie Arboleda, Leo Avenido and newcomer Aris Dimaunahan for the quarter-backing position.

Once again, getting Joe DeVance (Assuming Sta. Lucia really goes bonkers and chose Santos) is not a bad idea. In reality, having Yancy de Ocampo and Newly-acquired Ervin Sotto would spel trouble when they go up against Taulava, Peña, Menk, Peek and Villanueva. Kelly Williams is more of a perimeter defender, so having Big Joe to help de Ocampo at the Center spot, or even play along side him at Power forward could at least neutralize those dominant bigmen and i must say, it's a power-packed 4-5 Tandem with DeVance and de Ocampo manning the shaded lane.

Assuming they had Tenorio or Williams as the 2nd pick while Santos and DeVance have been likewise chosen. They can think of having Robbie Reyes at the fray. I cant help but compare Reyes to Billy Mamaril, very spunky and rugged inside the lane. Still needs to work on his post and jump shot tho. But this rebounding dervish could definitely help Yancy de Ocampo inside. Having him as a backup powerforward would bold well for Air21

Third and Fifth pick, San Miguel:
    Chot Reyes, SMB's new mastermind will have quite a hard time decide on who to pick in this year's class. For a long time now, they have been looking for a promising guard for skipper Olsen Racla to pass his torch. They tried two years ago with Denver Lopez, but he clearly isnt up for the job. And this year with Brandon Cablay, but he is still adjusting to the SMB system. Im sure he would not have that much problem next year, now that Chot Reyes will surely give him the minutes and opportunites he deserves. However, i heard the Cablay's on the trading block, that leaves them with Tenorio as thier choice for Racela's successor. Why do they have to give up Cablay? Yeah, he's more of a two than a playmaker but some adjustments here and tehre would hurt. If we're gonna look at the long term benefits (Cablay is only 28 years old, on the way to his prime) keeping the more experienced Cablay would be better off for them rather than Tenorio, who still has to prove that he really belongs to the big league.

Danny Seigle's backup has also been what the beermen is also looking for. Apparently, Wesley Gonzales is DEFINITELY not the man for the job. That leaves them with Williams, Santos, or even Espinas to be under Seigle's wing. DeVance has also been practicing with the beermen this season before he entered the PBL, he can also play small forward. But assuming Santos and DeVance have already been picked by the realtors and the express, then Kelly's thier man. Knowing Kelly's versatility, not to mention coach Chot already knows how to use him.. It's a certainty that Kelly would fit like a glove as a beerman, making them a legitimate title-contenter and potentially, making himslef the Beermen's future superstar (post Seigle era).

Robbie Reyes (if not chosen by air21) would be a good pick at number 5. So is Gabby Espinas. Both can come off the bench and play the 4.

6th pick, Sta. Lucia:

Now, assuming that most of the big guns in the draft are not chosen, and since Sta Lucia also need a shooting guard. I heard they want to get Joseph Yeo. This would not be a bad choice. Let's just hope Alfrancis Chua could get Yeo in check and make sure he behaves. Mark Magsumbol would be a good catch at the off guard spot too..Yeah, I know most of you would think im nutts for even thinking of considering him at the first round. However, he did play in the American Basketball Association (ABA) for the San Jose skyrockets, with that experience why woudnt we consider him? He's defintely another dark horse in the draft.

7-10th picks to continue...

yeah nice post wagner..! welcome aboard bro!! Wagner? sounds familiar? Is that the School where Danny Seigle played in college?
    SmartGilas.com
    TeamPilipinas.info
    www.facebook.com/SmartGilas
    www.IBN.SmartGilas.com <<-- Share IBN's PBA forum to the world!!

Comment

yeah Danny "Dynamite" Seigle played at Wagner University (NCAA Div I) and averaged in his junior year 17.8ppg (1998)
      "No hay poder en el mundo que pueda cambiar el destino"
      -El Padrino

Comment

Originally posted by RNHalawi
        yeah nice post wagner..! welcome aboard bro!! Wagner? sounds familiar? Is that the School where Danny Seigle played in college?
        And u'll be right. Wagner Collage (NCAA div.1) at the Norhteast Conference. He played four seasons (94-98). He averaged 15.2ppg in 109 games. His 1652 pts ranks 2nd in Wagner's all-time scoring list. He averaged 19.3ppg asa a senior.

On a negative note, we can count Rob Reyes out of this year's draft. He has a Filipino passport, but it seems that it wasnt enough as he still lacks others papers (BI clearance, i think). It seems Joe DeVance will experience the same fate.

This will definitely shake the talent level of this years draft. too bad..

Comment

guys is ther a website the post scouting reports and mock drafts for PBA much like the NBAdraft.net.? Is there any philippine sports magazine available in the newstands? I have been looking for sports magazines here in CEBU that features PBA but i have not seen one yet..i was subscriber of Sports life and Atlas Sports before i think it was 6 years ago but i think that mags don't exist anymore. I still even have 1973 to 1975 issue of atlas sports but its now all eaten by rats and termites.. and how about PBA annual Magazine does it still exist right now..just got back my interest n Philippine baskteball when purefoods won all-fil champshp. Actually i was always following RP baskteball before but i lost interest during Fil-shams controversy and RP NT downfull.,
          Thanks in advance if somebody can help..

Comment

Working...
          X

Debug Information