PDA

View Full Version : 2009 BBL Playoffs

robbe
05-09-2009, 09:00 PM
2009 BBL Playoffs

ALBA Berlin [1] - Paderborn Baskets [8]
Everything else but 3-0 would be a huge surprise. Great season for Paderborn, a team with about 1.5mio € budget.

BG Göttingen [2] - Brose Baskets [7]
Göttingen, surprise team of the season with probably an even smaller budget. Injury worries, but they were still able to finish 2nd. Respect. Bamberg took a while to get going, but this expensive roster which centres around the duo Predrag Suput [allround game, high basketball IQ] - Elton Brown [lowpost game, rebounds] up front, should get the job done.

EWE Baskets Oldenburg [3] - DB Skyliners Frankfurt [6]
Most interesting series. Oldenburg was on regular season spot one course, but they stumbled on with the goal in sight. Frankfurt, average season so far, but they're able to pull it off in the playoffs. Rickey Paulding vs. Titus Ivory will be a key matchup on the 2/3, while Jason Gardner vs. Pascal Roller is going to be interesting as well.

Telekom Baskets Bonn [4] - ratiopharm Ulm [5]
Bonn finished where most expected them to finish, while Ulm is another surprise. The latter are extremely strong at home. A 3-2 looks probable.

Roy M
05-09-2009, 09:09 PM
2009 BBL Playoffs

ALBA Berlin [1] - Paderborn Baskets [8]
Everything else but 3-0 would be a huge surprise. Great season for Paderborn, a team with about 1.5mio € budget.

BG Göttingen [2] - Brose Baskets [7]
Göttingen, surprise team of the season with probably an even smaller budget. Injury worries, but they were still able to finish 2nd. Respect. Bamberg took a while to get going, but this expensive roster which centres around the duo Predrag Suput [allround game, high basketball IQ] - Elton Brown [lowpost game, rebounds] up front, should get the job done.

EWE Baskets Oldenburg [3] - DB Skyliners Frankfurt [6]
Most interesting series. Oldenburg was on regular season spot one course, but they stumbled on with the goal in sight. Frankfurt, average season so far, but they're able to pull it off in the playoffs. Rickey Paulding vs. Titus Ivory will be a key matchup on the 2/3, while Jason Gardner vs. Pascal Roller is going to be interesting as well.

Telekom Baskets Bonn [4] - ratiopharm Ulm [5]
Bonn finished where most expected them to finish, while Ulm is another surprise. The latter are extremely strong at home. A 3-2 looks probable.

Some how, I can see final between Alba and Oldenburg, which I saw in Jerusalem and was impressed from the team.

I know the Skyliners is big name, but the home advantage is big here.

thadzonline
05-10-2009, 03:38 AM
Is Chi Lewis-Parry playing in any of those teams?

uhg80
05-11-2009, 12:52 PM
@thadzonline: No. I don't know him at all, but I think there's no player with this name in Germany.

ALBA - Paderborn

This one has written "sweep" all over. Berlin is, of course, far superior in pretty much every aspect: the players' individual class, roster depth, budget, regular season results. ALBA won both games vs Paderborn this season, among them an easy 82-65 victory last week. With PG Rashard Wright back from injury, ALBA looked well and playoff ready in their most recent games.

Paderborn is already an overachiever since their promotion, highlighted by their sensational playoff berth now. Veteran center Chris Ensminger proved to be a crucial signing for the Baskets and played another terrific season. You have to keep in mind that we're talking about a club with one of the lowest budgets in league and serious financial troubles throughout the year. Everyone expected them to fight relegation every given year, but instead, they improved from season to season. Robbe said in his BBL preview that coach Doug Spradley has a non-relegation clause in his contract: With him, the team can't get relegated. Well, their current season turned out to be even more impressive, making Spradley the hottest commidity in this offseason's coach market.

Prediction: 3-0

Göttingen - Bamberg

Life ain't fair. And basketball in particular. This is how I'd feel like if I was a Göttingen supporter. Here you have another club without even midlevel financial abilities; a team full of players scouted smartly; a team that annoys every opponent with its full court press game in and game out; a team that overcomes key injuries and establishes itself as a top team this year, earning them a long article about their cinderella story on draftexpress and coach John Patrick a COTY award. So you finish second and everything is great? Yes, except for the fact that Göttingen faces Bamberg in the first round.*

Bamberg did what that usually do. They had a very rough start into the season, exchanged a player or two, and played a strong second half of the season. In fact, they are 9-3 in their last 12 games and on their top right for the start of the playoff. John Goldsberry has returned from his long term injury, Predrag Suput has overcome his early season slump to put up allstar calibre performances and massive Elton Brown emerged as a force under the baskets.

Without Kyle Bailey, Göttingen will have a hard time to advance against a Bamberg squad that has found its best shape when it matters most.

Prediction: 2-3

Oldenburg - Frankfurt

Congratulations to Oldenburg! I've hyped them all season long, but now they pulled off a nifty move I didn't expect at all. They moved down from first to third place, courtesy of a four game losing streak including lackluster performances against Tübingen and Göttingen. But dropping to third was the only way to surely avoid Bamberg in round 1*. Instead of the ugly beast from the southeast* Oldenburg has to play Frankfurt now.

Frankfurt is the dark horse in the playoffs for me. Not great, not disappointing, but a good team getting solid results. Coach Murat Didin has a very deep roster at his hands and uses it unpredictibly due to his huge supply of tactical variations. Both teams won their home games in regular season, with Frankfurt delivering Oldenburg's heaviest loss of the season (84-53).

Prediction: Oldenburg struggled lately, but is Frankfurt strong enough to handle the Thunderbirds' formidable trio of Gardner, Foster and Paulding, defensive anchor Boumtje-Boumtje and their supporting core of savvy Yugo-forwards? I somehow doubt it: 3-1

Bonn - Ulm

The duell between the team with the most mocking nicknames (Telekomedians, Telekommunist, Pinkies) and the team with the most boring nickname (sparrows) might the most open series in the first round. Bonn is a very athletic and defensive orientated team full of players who can defend several positions, thus enabling them to switch a lot without giving up very much. And then there is shotblocking thread Ken Johnson patrolling the paint. On offense, they rely mostly on EJ Rowland, who has really blossomed since arriving from Artland, crafty swingman Winsome Frazier and scoring PF Brandon Bowman.

Ulm is one of the most impresive stories in the last years. Coach Mike Taylor slowly built a competitive team with limited money and is now rewarded with Ulm's first playoffs for many years. The Sparrows have always been an excellent rebounding team thanks to dominating Little Big Man Jeff Gibbs. But meanwhile they are a rock solid team on every position. Sean Finn has established himself as a legit force underneath the basket, Romeo Travis is a crafty SF who provides even more inside presence as well as the occasional three, Lee Humphrey and Sebastian Betz provide outside shooting, Keith Triplett gets his minutes as defensive stopper, while Dru Joyce and Per Günther run the point well. This balanced roster can be a threat to any team in the league and they are hardly to overcome in their own Kuhberghalle (for all you non-german-speakers: Yes, that's "Cow Mountain Hall" in english).

Prediction: No idea really. Everything can happen. I'll go with home court advantage: 3-2

*Yes, I do have serious Bamberg issues.

thadzonline
05-11-2009, 04:01 PM
my bad, this was a German League..All the while I was thinking it was the British Basketball League also shortened as BBL :D

uhg80
05-11-2009, 04:15 PM
And then there's also the Baltic Basketball League. We obviously have too many BBLs around. FIBA, do something! :D

CWILL
05-15-2009, 09:06 AM
@uhg80: nice job!
i fully agree with your prediction!

Trifilli
05-16-2009, 06:30 AM
MEG Göttingen - Brose Baskets Bamberg 84:76 (http://www.basketball-bundesliga.de/scouting.php?menuid=329&topmenu=3&keepmenu=inactive&wettbewerb=2&spiel_id=6967)
Göttingen leads 1-0 in the Series

Easier win for Göttingen than the final 8-point difference might show. They led by 20 at some point of the game and if it wasn't for some Goldsberry threepointers when the game was already decided, the difference would've been bigger than 8 as well in the end.

Shocking performance by Bamberg to be honest. I mean, ok, Göttingens fullcourt press and trap is beautifaul, the play really aggressive and put all their energy into their defense. But how is it possible that a pro team like Bamberg has no solutions against that press? Goldsberry and Rivera looked like schoolboys at times - and lateron Suput (and even Brown one time!) had to bring the ball, in order to avoid 8-second violations. Things got easier later in the game for Bamberg, when Göttingen got tired and some players had foultrouble. But still, if a player is getting trapped that often in a double team without a passing option, then the coach is definately not up to it at that point.

The main reason for Göttingens easy win was rebounding though. They worked hard for the offensive board, while Bamberg just didn't block out at all. A team with the terrible, awful shot selection of Göttingen just cannot score 84 points, despite all heart, emotions and energy. But Bamberg gave them way too many second chances, didn't use the height advantage (Göttingen is a pretty small, but athletic team) and didn't block out at all. That way the bad shooting percentages from mid-distance and from beyond the arc didn't hurt Göttingen and they could pull the win off.

On Bambergs side, the only player who kept a cool head was Pedrag Suput, he was simply unstoppable and used his mismatch all game long. Elton Brown on the other hand was absolutely disappointing and Tim Ohlbrecht didn't play like a NBA prospect for sure. Robert Garrett is getting old as it seems for some time now, while Demomd Greene can still offer solutions, but is not as explosive any more, as he used to be (and he had an off night from beyond the arc).

I kinda blame Chris Fleming for this appearance of his team though. I saw Göttingen for the third time this season now - and they never had anything like a plan on the offensive end, almost no plays, no systems, a few screens for the Guards, that's it. You just have to prepare your team for that, it was obvious that guys like Clif Brown or Jason Boone are working hard for the offensive board, and Bamberg didn't look prepared there at all. And their shot selection was better than Göttingens, but it wasn't good either. With this roster I expected more set play from Bamberg, more well executed offenses, instead of rushed decisions. Especially Goldsberry just couldn't control the game and its rhythm as PG, that was key as well for Göttingens win.

Looking forward to game 2 of the series, I just don't think that Bamberg will show up that unprepared for the second game. If they do though, then they're in real trouble - and coach Flemings job should be in question...

Btw, the highlight of the game (at least for me :p) was the face expression of that guy wearing the Olympiakos shirt in Bambergs fanblock, right before the end. Priceless :D

robbe
05-16-2009, 10:06 AM
It's unbelievable how John Patrick's full court pressure defense, pick and roll hard hedge and double team + the other three players playing the passing lanes is posing huge problems for almost every offense in this league. Only ALBA has had the right answers for this so far. That shows us how poor coaching in this league is. Even worse, Bamberg has had a whole two weeks preparation time [I doubt they wasted any time for the Cologne game], yet they only rarely found solutions against the press. A completely unorganised display, especially in the first 15 minutes.

Göttingen is hard to watch on the offensive end, but you cannot blame them. This is what gets you into the playoffs in this league.

Bamberg clearly lacks a Demond Mallet type / comboguard difference maker. Goldsberry is a solid floor general but needs someone at his side to make plays. Predrag Suput is the team's single creative force.

21 offensive rebounds for Göttingen over 20 defensive rebounds for Bamberg. Catastrophic ratio.

robbe
05-18-2009, 12:02 PM
QF, 1st Gameday:

ALBA Berlin - Paderborn Baskets 78:71
Julius Jenkins 20, Imanuell McElroy 14, Aleksandar Nadjfeji 11; Nathan Peavy 20, Chris Ensminger 14/13r

BG Göttingen - Brose Baskets 84:76
Cliff Brown 20/11r, Dean Oliver 17/6r; Predrag Suput 24/10r/5a, John Goldsberry 18

EWE Baskets Oldenburg - Skyliners Frankfurt 79:69
Rickey Paulding 24/5r/3a, Jason Gardner 18/4a; Keith Simmons 17/10r, Derrick Allen 14/6r

Telekom Baskets Bonn - ratiopharm Ulm 71:62
Brandon Bowman 15, EJ Rowland 12, Vincent Yarbrough 10/6r; Jeff Gibbs 11/16r, Sean Finn 11/7r

Boxscores: http://www.basketball-bundesliga.de/linkit.php?menuid=328&topmenu=3&keepmenu=inactive

Pretty unspectacular 1st Gameday, but Gameday 2 should be interesting and could already decide at least one series.

Gruebler
05-19-2009, 04:10 PM
An easy way to check out the results and statistics of the 2009 playoffs of the German Basketball Bundesliga is a website widget. It offers direct links to the statpages and the top 7 players.

Check it out live in action (http://gruebler.wordpress.com/2009/05/19/hier-zuerst-das-bbl-playoff-widget/).

The few words where a translation might be needed:
Spieltag - game day
Viertelfinale - quarter finals
Halbfinale - semi finals

robbe
05-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Paderborn surprisingly beats ALBA in Game 2. Everyone expected this series to finish 3:0. ALBA had a horrible day, relying imo too much on the outside shot, especially early in the game. Both difference makers McElroy and Jenkins were not on their usual level. Those two get the team going, and it didn't happen on Thursday. But in fact, noone was on normal level, with the exception of Adam Chubb and Dragan Dojcin. Paderborn got the W despite playing without Chris Ensminger almost the whole game due to foul trouble. Topscorers: LaVelle Felton with 14 for Paderborn [including the go-ahead three a few seconds from the buzzer], Chubb had 20 for Berlin.

Frankfurt leveled the series with Oldenburg by a narrow victory at home. Pascal Roller with 18, Derrick Allen with 16 for Frankfurt, Rickey Paulding with 18 and Jason Gardner with 17 for the guests.

Bamberg had a hard-fought home victory over Göttingen. Elton Brown 15, Suput added 13, 8 and 3 assists. Ben Jacobsen 21 for Göttingen, Cliff Brown with 20/15, after dropping 20/11 on Bamberg in the first game.

Bonn is the only team which is up 2:0 after beating Ulm 71:69 on the road. Brandon Bowman topscored with 20 points, Sean Finn had 18 and 8 for Ulm.

For Boxscores, follow Gruebler's link above.

Roy M
05-31-2009, 05:24 PM
Sensation in Berlin. Bon won 73:71 in the first semi-final in the BBL.
Dowsen scores 14 to Bon.

Oldenburg kept home wuth 82:74 over Bamberg.
Foster with 22 ro Olden, Sofut 24 to Bamb.

uhg80
05-31-2009, 05:51 PM
So ALBA continues to struggle. They had a really hard time against Paderborn and just overcame them thanks to some crucial 3s by Jenkins in game 5.

Today, they were already down by 14 in the third, equalized with an 14-0 run only to be behind by 8 later on. Berlin claimed the lead regardless, but a late three by Vincent Yarbrough put Bonn ahead for good.

Don't expect robbe to post anything next week. He'll probably stare at the live ticker all the time, trying to figure out what exactly happened in the last seconds. Poor boy's confused.

Bamberg had not much to offer offensively besides the once again formidable Peja Suput and Elton Brown (who dominated when Boumtje˛ was on the bench). Okay, some corner threes by Demond, but that was it. On the other hand, Jason Gardner, who had a quiet game until then, took over in the fourth and Milan Majstorovic also delivered when he knocked down some crucial triples.

Roy M
05-31-2009, 05:56 PM
Boumtje˛

One of the biggest.... :D:D:D

uhg80
05-31-2009, 06:02 PM
One of the biggest.... :D:D:D

Huh? Care to explain?

robbe
05-31-2009, 08:51 PM
Don't expect robbe to post anything next week. He'll probably stare at the live ticker all the time, trying to figure out what exactly happened in the last seconds. Poor boy's confused.
Don't underestimate me. It took me only a few hours to recover from that shock. :p

Now, Wednesday is one of the games of the season. ALBA needs a gutsy performance to win in Bonn, where they are going to face a motivated, unfriendly, loud 6.000 fans.

Hats off to Mike Koch, who pulled the right strings for Game 1.

Ps: I'm sure Roy is referring to B˛'s big hands.

Roy M
05-31-2009, 08:55 PM
Huh? Care to explain?

I like the "Boumtje˛"

Gruebler
06-04-2009, 06:35 AM
ALBA Berlin lost the second game of the semi finals against Telekom Baskets Bonn 72:75 (http://www.basketball-bundesliga.de/scouting.php?menuid=328&topmenu=3&keepmenu=inactive&wettbewerb=3&spiel_id=6988) after overtime. As Bonn leads 2:0 in the series, a comeback by ALBA seems to be more and more unlikely.

ALBA features a roster with many stars. Pre-season the majority believed them to be the best team of the league. But it appears as if they suffer the Olympiakos syndrom: To many big names, to much money and to few players who are able to go for the extra mile. McElroy is injured, Wright hurt/dislocated/broke a finger yesterday. Femerling is placed on the ranks by coach Pavicevic. Jacobsen sticks to his NBA-role and mostly plays defense and refuses to take responsibility offensively. Ansu Sesay.... well the Italians warned us that he plays inconstantly. Currently he just is no factor. ALBA lacks men for big games who are able and willing to step up.

Bonn features limited players like EJ Rowland, Ken Johnson, John Bowler. But they play with great energy and fight like lions.

As in game one ALBA Berlin again had the last possession and was not able to use it.

robbe
06-04-2009, 02:07 PM
How defense, fight and some one on one action can win a basketball game, unbelievable. Bonn didn't play well on offense. However, this was a playoff battle, and Bonn is better at battling.

Luka Pavicevic lost this one imo, failed to call a timeout during Bonn's run, failed to have his players try to draw a fifth foul on Frazier, who played more than ten minutes with four and was the key guy yesterday, failed to realise that McElroy is unfit, failed with his technical foul two minutes before the end of regulation. I like his philosophy of creating a team and his offense is the most potent, most versatile, easily the best in German basketball, but in terms of ingame coaching, making key adjustments in or before games, it seems that Koch has the upper hand. Koch likes to keep things simple, and while I'm not a fan of how we perform on offense, one has to admire the way he increases his team's level of play in the playoffs by 100% year by year, his ability to get the best out of every single one of his players, as well as the ability to analyse what he's seeing and quickly adjust.

This series is far from over though. ALBA showed they can win in Bonn, just didn't. All it takes is a win in Game 3 [which I'm sure is going to happen, by double digits, maybe a blowout], and then a lot of pressure is on Bonn to win Game 4.

Needless to say of course, not qualifying for the Euroleague would be a desaster for ALBA, especially after this year's EL season had gone so well for them.

robbe
06-07-2009, 07:40 AM
As expected, Bonn didn't really show up to play in Berlin, typical mentality of that team - they only win when they have to. Offensively, they didn't hit their open shots in the first half and completely resisted to establish any kind of ball movement in the second. Meanwhile, ALBA went hot in the third quarter from downtown, hitting 6 of 9.

Now all eyes will be on Game 4.

Some are saying Bonn is going to be nervous now. But how about this gesture to Bonn fans, Mister McElroy? ;)

http://s6b.directupload.net/images/090607/b22a2zvi.jpg

fasoulaki
06-07-2009, 07:49 PM
@robbe

Assuming Bonn wins the championship this year. Do you think it will be possible to play the Euroleague games in the new hall, or the does the Telekom Dome not meet the Euroleague specs.

Imaginge Bonn would play the Euorleague games in the Lanxess Arena.where Rheinenergy Cologne played in Duesseldorf. :(((

Gruebler
06-07-2009, 09:17 PM
McElroy first time not playing with injury and ALBA won. Coincidence? It was a good game by ALBA and imo the difference was that they acted as a team and did non rely on Jenkins and McElroy too much.

EWE Baskets Oldeburg won against Brose Baskets 88:85 after OT. (http://www.basketball-bundesliga.de/scouting.php?menuid=328&topmenu=3&keepmenu=inactive&wettbewerb=3&spiel_id=6991) Oldenburg just is the team of the hour. They play good PnR spiced up with the athleticism of Foster and Paulding. Gardner is an excellent PG and their frontcourt is very well schooled players from FYRs. They should be counted as clear favourite for this years title.

Gruebler
06-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Bonn won the 5th game @Berlin and beats ALBA Berlin in the semis 3:2. The final starts this weekend. Keep in mind that the champion will play Euroleague.

EWE Baskets Oldenburg vs. Telekom Baskets will be an interesting series. Oldenburg plays with a very short rotation starring PG Gardner, SG Foster, C Boumtje-Boumtje and SF Paulding plus some Forward/Centers from the balkan.

Bonn plays a 11-man-rotation. Stars are limited skilled PG Rowland, athletic sharp-shooter Frazier and shooting PF Brandon Bowman. On the center spot you'll see 130kg-big man John Bowler and Ken Johnson who leads the league in blocked shots.

It's a duel of balkan-schooled PnR and setplay with some US stars (Oldenburg) against hyperathletic teamplay which heavily relies on aggressive no-easy-baskets defense (Bonn).

Campeondelmundo
06-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Well, thanks for updates.
anyway, for a guy who isn't usually following the German League, does there some major financial problems in teams? I know ALBA can handle it and keep themselves in EL, but what about the other teams?

Gruebler
06-15-2009, 07:13 AM
@campeondelmundo

Here's (http://www.in-the-game.org/?p=3450) the information you requested. If any questions remain open, please don't hesitate to ask.

CWILL
06-16-2009, 05:47 PM
Hey guys,

what happened? No-one wrote anything about game 1 of the BBL finals?!? :confused:

Oldenburg lost Game 1 and the homecourt advantage in an exciting opening game. Bonn was a bit lucky at the end winning 72:74 (http://www.basketball-bundesliga.de/scouting.php?menuid=328&topmenu=3&keepmenu=inactive&wettbewerb=4&spiel_id=6996)
Oldenburg's big man struggled with foul trouble. Scekic and Majstrovic were fouled out; Boumtje-Boumtje, who had an incredible game and finished with a doube double once again, played with 3 fouls in the first half. With Perkovic out for the season and german Daniel Strauch not given any trust by Krunic Oldenburg really struggled.
Also Jason Gardner had a really bad game, shooting just 3/13!

Bonn was led all the way by Brandon Bowman, who scored 26 poins combined with 7 boards. Ken Johnson made some crucial shots from the midfield and John Bowler added 9 points, 5 rebounds and 4 assists.
Oldenburg led at the half by 8, but their big man's foul trouble and no-one really being able to defend Bowman gave them a tough 3rd quarter. Bonn won this period 26-14 and was able to take over in the last quarter.
With Bonn leading 72-68 and just 20 seconds left the game seemed to be decided, but then Rickey Paulding made a three pointer and was fouled by Frazier.
Check this out! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjtVAbXItfk)

After he sunk the free throw, the game was even with 72-72.
But then Oldenburg's Majstorovic made a terrile mistake, fouling Bonn's Bowman with just 3 seconds left while the american was taking an out of balance shot from downtown. He was rewarded with 3 free throws and made 2 of them. Oldenburg had the chance to inbound the ball from the midline, but Gardner commited a decisive turnover.

I think Bonn deserved to win that first game they were the better team overall.
But you have to give Oldenburg credit. They could have won this game with the last posession even though things were not really going their way. If their big man stay out of foul trouble and Gardner starts to perform as decent as he did against Bamberg, the series should be pretty open.
At Thursday both teams will compete again - this time at Bonn's Telekom Dome.

Roy M
06-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Hey guys,

what happened? No-one wrote anything about game 1 of the BBL finals?!? :confused:

Oldenburg lost Game 1 and the homecourt advantage in an exciting opening game. Bonn was a bit lucky at the end winning 72:74 (http://www.basketball-bundesliga.de/scouting.php?menuid=328&topmenu=3&keepmenu=inactive&wettbewerb=4&spiel_id=6996)
Oldenburg's big man struggled with foul trouble. Scekic and Majstrovic were fouled out; Boumtje-Boumtje, who had an incredible game and finished with a doube double once again, played with 3 fouls in the first half. With Perkovic out for the season and german Daniel Strauch not given any trust by Krunic Oldenburg really struggled.
Also ason Gardner had a really bad game, shooting just 3/13!

Bonn was le all the way by Brandon Bowman, who scored 26 poins combined with 7 boards. Ken Johnson made some crucial shots from the midfield and John Bowler added 9 points, 5 rebounds and 4 assists.
Oldenburg led at the half by 8, but their big man's foul trouble and no-one really being able to defend Bowman gave them a tough 3rd quarter. Bonn won this period 26-14 and was able to take over in the last quarter.
With Bonn leading 72-68 and just 20 seconds left the game seemed to be decided, but then Rickey Paulding made a three pointer and was fouled by Frazier.
Check this out! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjtVAbXItfk)

After he sunk the free throw, the game was even with 72-72.
But then Oldenburg's Majstorovic made a terrile mistake, fouling Bonn's Bowman with just 3 seconds left while the american was taking an out of balance shot from downtown. He was rewarded with 3 free throws and made 2 of them. Oldenburg had the chance to inbound the ball from the midline, but Gardner commited a decisive turnover.

I think Bonn deserved to win that first game they were the better team overall.
But you have to give Oldenburg credit. They could have won this game with the last posession even though things were not really going their way. If their big man stay out of foul trouble and Gardner starts to perform as decent as he did against Bamberg, the series should be pretty open.
At Thursday both teams will compete again - this time at Bonn's Telekom Dome.

Great summary. tnx.
I understand, that the winner (champs) will go directly to the EL. license B

CWILL
06-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Exactly, the winner takes it all!

I think Oldenburg is the team that clearly plays more "european" and should be able to play a better part in Euroleague than Bonn. Mike Koch's team plays excellent defense, but I question their one-on-one offense in a Euroleague game.
Never the less, I think both teams Oldenburg and Bonn really deserve to be in the finals and I like both, don't actually know who to cheer for. Cause both teams never won any title in their club history, but made a really good job in the last couple of years!

robbe
06-16-2009, 06:35 PM

I think Oldenburg is the team that clearly plays more "european" and should be able to play a better part in Euroleague than Bonn. Mike Koch's team plays excellent defense, but I question their one-on-one offense in a Euroleague game.
I second that, but still I think that the American trio in Oldenburg plays pretty wild sometimes. They all take a lot of threes off the dribble, Krunic let's them go iso, and some off-balance shots as well. The 4-5 positions with Majstorovic, Perkovic, Scekic and Boumtje˛ is imo the more stable, the more experienced part of the team. Of course a team can do with a little bit of both, but having 1-3 with those guys, and 4-5 with completely different guys, that's a strange construct.

Majstorovic and Boumtje˛ are having excellent playoffs. But in the end, the 4/5 guys [Bowman, Bowler, Johnson] were Bonn's best players as well. Some interesting matchups there.

I don't think Oldenburg can win this series from the sidelines. Krunic does a beautiful job putting together a team, and he gets rewarded for that, as the results show. But ingame, he's making many more mistakes than Koch imo.

One guy I want to break a Lanze for is Vince Yarbrough, who, in my opinion, is the best man to man wing defender in the whole league. McElroy might be ideal to pressure point guards, Yarbrough is the complete package. Did a great job limiting Julius Jenkins and Casey Jacobsen in the ALBA series, and had a brilliant game against Paulding on Sunday. And we're talking about the two most dangerous scorers in the league here. Additionally, he won Game 1 in Berlin with his shooting, and had a big night offensively in Game 5 as well.

All in all, I was very satisfied with that performance, but Oldenburg is a gritty team that alway somehow managed to hang in there and clinch games in the final minutes. Exactly that could be the case on Thursday.

goga78
06-16-2009, 08:32 PM
one guy i want to break a lanze for

:d:d:d

Roy M
06-16-2009, 08:46 PM

Never the less, I think both teams Oldenburg and Bonn really deserve to be in the finals and I like both, don't actually know who to cheer for. Cause both teams never won any title in their club history, but made a really good job in the last couple of years!

I won't go inside a professional discussion between the teams, Robbe and the other friends do it perfect, much better then I can.

I just add some impression that I got when I watch Oldenburg twice vs' Jerusalem in the challenge-cup.

I was impressed from Perkovic, Scekic and Foster which killed JM from 3points.
Paulding has to many ups and downs, Gardner the same (both played in Israel before) and Boumtje Boumtje, who was far away from doing damages inside to JM.

Trifilli
06-22-2009, 11:28 AM
So after yesterdays away win (78:81 (http://www.basketball-bundesliga.de/scouting.php?menuid=328&topmenu=3&keepmenu=inactive&wettbewerb=4&spiel_id=6998)) Bonn leads the Finals 1:2 and can possibly win the championship with a home win tomorrow. No team won a game at home so far though... kinda reminds me of the 2003/2004 PO Finals :p

Until the mid of the 3rd quarter yesterday this series looked like some friendship games, no emotions, no energy from both sides. At least the part regarding the emotions changed a bit yesterday, it seems that Strasser and Kolodziejski managed to get into their opponent heads. That technical foul when Foster threw the ball onto Kolodziejski was key yesterday, Oldenburg showed nerves then, as we saw a similar scene a bit earlier as well.

Actually I'm impressed by the passion the german players of Bonn show throughout this series. Strasser stepped up big time and Kolodziejski is having an important role on the defensive end, bugging Oldenburgs backcourt over and over again with his aggressive D. This just proves that german players should be given more chances in the BBL...

Oldenburg should listen there, I really don't get why they didn't establish a similar system, integrating german players into the rotation. Instead they only use a 7-player rotation, something that hurts them throughout the series so far.
Bonns Coach Mike Koch does a good job there spotting Oldenburgs weakest point. Bonn continues to attack the rim, bringing Oldenburgs big men into foul trouble literally every game. That way Krunic also is not in the position to give his big men a rest as he'd like to, resulting in tiredness and bad decision at the end of the games (Majstorovic for example...).
And Bonn is playing an aggressive D on Gardner (although it could be much more aggressive), with changing defenders , keeping up the pressure, which results in a lot of awful decisions by Gardner.

On the other side I don't like Krunics coaching at all. Oldenburg plays the pick & roll like twice a quarter, that's about it. The rest of the offenses are wild run & gun, 1 vs. 1 isolations and crazy shots. Even if Paulding makes these shots - like yesterday - this is just no way to play good basketball, the rest of the team can't find its rhythm if it can't get a share of the ball.

And let's face it: Oldenburg in theory has the way better individual players than the limited Bonn (especially on the offensive end). Krunic just fails to use them properly, to establish a team play where more people will get involved.

Of course this helps Bonn, which really does not have a lot of options on the offensive end.
Rowland for example has zero playmaking skills, he doesn't see the court well, he couldn't get around a screen even if his life depended on it (if there's a decent screen set once in a lifetime - Bonns bigs just don't seem to know how to do so), he constantly takes wrong decisions and he throws away the ball without any pressure at times (like it happened in game 2). He's a good scorer though and made some crucial buckets during the crunchtime yesterday. But Bonn doesn't really have a decent PG and Oldenburg doesn't seem to be able to exploit that weakness.

Bowman is a streetballer who'll play great at times (like in game 1) but just can't be relied on, there's no way that he can play disciplined basketball.
Yarbrough made some very important (and difficult) threes yesterday, but he can't create for others either and he's not very reliable as well. And Ken Johnson is a shotblocker under the rim and can hit the midrange jumper on the offensive end - but that's about it.
In theory Frazier could provide some more creative elements, but he's playing injured and couldn't help the team so far in the finals.

In the end it comes down to John Bowler as Bonns most important player (imho). Even if he's not having the best shooting percentages... he's the one who's creating the space for the others, playing a great series under the rim, drawing important fouls, forcing the double team and scoring big buckets. And on top of that he played some really good help defense yesterday.
If he was just a better passer... nevertheless he's my MVP so far... ;)

The other two key players are clearly the germans Strasser and Kolodziejski, like mentioned above. Strassers threepointer with the buzzer at the end of the 3rd Quarter was so important yesterday, he really stepped up on the offensive end and was only stopped by that unjustified unsportsmanlike foul (called by Boris S. :rolleyes: - which the refs had to compensate on the other side later... :rolleyes:). But most importantly he plays with a lot of passion, both on the offensive and the defensive end. And Kolodziejskis offensive skills are so limited, but he does exactly what the coach expects from him on the defensive end - every successful team needs to have such role players, they're the secret heros...

If Oldenburg wants to return into this series, they have to play more controlled basketball, sharing the ball, searching for better options, having patience on the offensive end. Oldenburg can be lethal from the perimeter - but in order to achieve that their players need to find their rhythm, they need to get involved. And Krunic finally has to use some plays for his wings, and his shooting 4, the pick & roll once in a time or the occasional kick-out won't be enough, this is Bonns game...
Somehow I just fail to see how this is gonna happen though. If he didn't manage to do so until game 3, if he lets his team play this wild ball like yesterday during the crunchtime, then I don't see hope for Oldenburg.
Koch is just getting way more out of his team than Krunic so far (even though Koch made some big mistakes as well, especially in game 2).

Overall, if I look at the mere level of play, at the tactical details, at the class of the games, this series is awful - absolutely terrible basketball is being played. Somehow it's still fun though, we'll see a new champion, the games are always close and exciting - and unbelievable mistakes on both sides (like both fouls on the attempted threepointers in the final seconds of game 1) make the matches really entertaining as well, you just can't predict the result, even seconds before the end of the game. :p

Somehow I'm rooting for Bonn now, as I just don't like what Krunic is doing there in Oldenburg with a potentially better team - opposed to what Mike Koch is doing (whom I respect for his coaching, but whom I also like ever since he played for PAO, despite him being a weird guy) - and I hope that Bonn can lift the trophy tomorrow at home (and maybe that Mike Koch will visit his former team again next season, this time as an opponent coach :p). But I certainly wouldn't bet on it - everything is possible in this crazy series... :p

fasoulaki
06-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Having the Euroleague-next door should be also a strong motivation to cheer for Bonn. Even from Frankfurt you reach Siegburg by ICE wihtin one hour.

I am wondering what impact the title would have in Bonn in terms of budget and long term strategy. The goal shoud be to integrate more Germans into the team maybe by signing some prospects like Schwethelm and Pleiß (Schnief).

Trifilli
06-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Having the Euroleague-next door should be also a strong motivation to cheer for Bonn. Even from Frankfurt you reach Siegburg by ICE wihtin one hour.

I am wondering what impact the title would have in Bonn in terms of budget and long term strategy. The goal shoud be to integrate more Germans into the team maybe by signing some prospects like Schwethelm and Pleiß (Schnief).

Koch recently said in an interview to a greek sport portal (http://www.gazzetta.gr/content/view/37042/38/) that the budget would be increased in case of an EL participation (the interview can be even understood the way that it's going to be increased either way). He added that Bonn has the infrastructure and the budget in order to be ready for that next step.

Infrastucture - yes, without a doubt. The new arena which belongs to the club certainly is a plus and should generate more income in the next few years. Until now it seems as if quite some of Bonns budget was used for the arena construction.
So I'd believe that the budget should indeed be higher than this year in case of an EL participation. The question remains though if Bonn would be in the position to have a budget which would allow the team to compete for a Top16 participation.

Gruebler
06-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Oldenburg beat Bonn in final's game four. Bonn did not hit the threes (1/12). After Oldenburg PG Jason Gardner had a bad game in game 3, coach Krunic decided to have Je'Kel Foster bring the ball quite a while. Oldenburg showed what the individual players are capable of. Paulding (21p) was unstoppable again, Foster (20p) stepped up. And in the paint C Skecic did a good job (14p). Oldenburg dominated Bonn at least three quarters. The face of Bonn's players and coach Koch spoke a clear language: That was a game they could not win. Bonn did not have a glimpse of a chance to win against Oldenburg. Bonn's defensive intensity was not sufficient and offensively they seldom were able to play decent systems.

Overall it was a game that showed the strengths and weaknesses of the league. A lot of 1:1 game. Teams that sometimes lack defensive effort and decent team defense. Inexperienced players like Rowland who are good for some spectacular moves and steals but are not so capable of organizing a team. Bonn had 6 assists, while Oldenburg had 8....

Gruebler
06-24-2009, 10:11 PM
As free video clips from the BBL are very rare, here's an exception. 90 seconds of Brandon Bowman (PF, Telekom Baskets Bonn). youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8Oj3eSU_48)

Trifilli
06-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Boy, what a choking performance, by Bonn, Oldenburg and the BBL.

Bonn - how could they lose this one after Gardner missed both FTs? I mean, Rowland misses two FTs with Bonn up by 3 and 23 secs to play... and then the biggest choker of them all - Frazier - decides to make another stupid foul, allowing Gardner to score the +1, equalizing the game. Bonn still had the chance to win it with the last offense, but Strasser threw it away, completely unforced. And then Foster only makes 1/2, giving Oldenburg the lead by 1. But Rowland throws the ball away as well and Oldenburg wins the championship, despite playing like crap in the end, missing vital threepointers (Pekovic), taking bad / awful decisions (Pekovic, Paulding). But they benefited from Bonn choking even more.

Congrats to Oldenburg for winning the championship, their first one. They'll have a nice party for sure. ;) And my sympathies to robbe and co., sorry for you guys that it didn't work out for just another time.
Overall this series really didn't deserve to be a final one. The only entertaining part was that all the games were close and exciting. The level of play was really bad though, I just hope that it'll get better next season - especially when it comes to coaching and the PG position - in the entire BBL.

Talking about entertaining parts: what an embarrassing day for the BBL, can you get any lower? First they refuse to let Eurosport televise the game on TV, because they're afraid that they won't get enough suscribers for their crappy pay-per-view internet stream - and then they can't even make sure that it works properly / at all... :mad:

Roy M
06-25-2009, 08:36 PM
Amazing finish to the season.

Oldenburg is the new Champ!
A lot of thenks and flowers to Bonn and Rowland, which miss twice from the line 22 sec to go. 70:67 to Bonn and a stupid foul by Freizer on Gardner+ basket, lose ball by Srtraaser, and Foster made it from the FT line.
71:70 Oldenburg!

fasoulaki
06-26-2009, 08:44 PM
The should exchange the Big T in Bonn by the Big L

robbe
07-29-2009, 01:20 PM
By the way, wrote a piece (http://www.in-the-game.org/?p=3810) about the 09/10 season in Germany a while ago, with a look at top players, best newcomers, defenders, disappointments, etc. Not really news for the German guys here, but for foreigners who are interested in BBL, maybe.

Slam
07-30-2009, 05:24 PM
EWE Baskets is led by three American in Rickey Paulding, Je'Kel Foster, and Jason Gardner. (http://euroleagueadventures.com/) Three three guards form possibly the best backcourt in Germany and now they will face the best backcourts in Europe in the Euroleague. How do people think there going to do? I think EWE could surprise a lot of people especially Paulding who's looking like a special player.