PDA

View Full Version : Why Basketball?

Jomar09
04-24-2009, 06:54 AM
Guys I need your help..

I just want to know your in sites on why we Filipinos love basketball so much.. it's for my paper in school...thanks in advance!:)

rhk111
04-24-2009, 07:06 AM
Because Soccer is boring.

rensquared
04-24-2009, 07:56 AM
The Passion. The chants. The Rivalries. The Cheers. I love this game!

shoot first,dribble later
04-24-2009, 10:56 AM
because of history. we were (officially) colonized by the americans from 1898 to 1946, and during their long stay here, they introduced their sports (especially basketball) to the filipinos. look at india, they love cricket because the sport was introduced to them by the british. same is true with china. this country is a powerhouse in badminton and table tennis, sports that were introduced to them by the british colonizers.

cuba is also a good example. cuba, after the spanish-american war, was unwillingly included to the american sphere of influence when the latter won over the spaniards. there was a close economic and political relationship between the US and cuba since then until the rise of fidel castro to power. this close relationship resulted to many things - one of them is the introduction of baseball - the favorite pastime of the americans, to the cubans. look at the cubans now, they're one of the big guns in that sport (they even defeated the americans many times in international tournaments).

bestplayer
04-24-2009, 01:38 PM
because of history. we were (officially) colonized by the americans from 1898 to 1946, and during their long stay here, they introduced their sports (especially basketball) to the filipinos. look at india, they love cricket because the sport was introduced to them by the british. same is true with china. this country is a powerhouse in badminton and table tennis, sports that were introduced to them by the british colonizers.

cuba is also a good example. cuba, after the spanish-american war, was unwillingly included to the american sphere of influence when the latter won over the spaniards. there was a close economic and political relationship between the US and cuba since then until the rise of fidel castro to power. this close relationship resulted to many things - one of them is the introduction of baseball - the favorite pastime of the americans, to the cubans. look at the cubans now, they're one of the big guns in that sport (they even defeated the americans many times in international tournaments).

is this about basketball or history? :)

shoot first,dribble later
04-24-2009, 01:59 PM
is this about basketball or history? :)

both. hehe.:)

damelo
04-24-2009, 02:04 PM

Yes, you can find many many other elements in countries that used to be colonized. That's a good analysis IMO.

After, you can also find social reasons I think.

b3lowzro
04-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Guys I need your help..

I just want to know your in sites on why we Filipinos love basketball so much.. it's for my paper in school...thanks in advance!:)

The beginning and the pre-war era

In 1900, the United States’ Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) introduced the sport of Basketball to the Philippines. Prior to this period, football (soccer) was the most popular sport in the Philippine Islands due to its history as a Spanish colony, during the Far Eastern Games. Basketball and other sports such as baseball eventually supplanted football (soccer).

According to historian and national artist Nick Joaquín, basketball was first introduced to Filipinos within the historic walls of Intramuros, Manila.

From the 1910s to the early 1930s, the Philippines dominated the Far Eastern Games basketball tournament winning 9 of 10 basketball championships.

In 1936, the Philippines played in the Berlin Olympic Games basketball tournament, the first time basketball played as an official sport. The Philippines started the tournament winning two in a row beating Mexico and Estonia but lost to the United States in the quarterfinals. The Philippines went on to beat Italy and Uruguay to finished fifth in the tournament with a 4-1 record. The 5th place finish was the best finish by an Asian country in the Olympic Games men’s basketball tournament. If not for controversial rulings, the Philippines could have at least won silver or bronze medal.

The Manila Industrial and Commercial Athletic Association (MICAA) was formed in 1938, and dominated Philippine basketball for almost 40 years.

click here for the source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball_in_the_Philippines#History)

Saskibaloia
04-24-2009, 11:41 PM
Because Soccer is boring.

Well, sometimes it is boring but the crowds are ten times better. I've experienced this first hand having lived in South America (Uruguay) for a year and I can guarantee you that they're ten times more vocal than any basketball crowd in the world.

Here's some awesome coverage:

My favourite team: Club Nacional de Futbol (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzbm4VLTM0U) (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Boca Juniors (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcDTFujnR5k&feature=PlayList&p=45EA424ED47682A2&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=5) (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

River Plate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncJZUN5JXt8&feature=PlayList&p=4C4F2D9E48C62E0D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=19) (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

dreamwalker
04-25-2009, 12:09 AM
Guys I need your help..

First, you need to know the difference between sites and insights or you'll get a failing mark from you school paper. Piece of advice, when writing your school paper know the meaning of the word you use and do a spell check if you're using MS word which is quite helpful.

Take no offense and Good luck to your school paper......peace

saints13
04-25-2009, 02:37 AM
my opinion on why basketball has been integrated into the Filipino culture...because basketball was promoted as a form of entertainment compared to other popular sports during my lolo's childhood like baseball and football (soccer)..it's the PBA's influence that made basketball so popular. when I was a kid, I grew up with basketball courts in the community, PBA on TV...there's no exposure nor influence or whatsoever when it comes to baseball or football.

TrueBluePinoy
04-25-2009, 02:40 AM
I was always wondering why we Pinoys have a thing for balls flying in the air.(basketball, volleyball, tennis) :D

b3lowzro
04-25-2009, 03:27 AM
I was always wondering why we Pinoys have a thing for balls flying in the air.(basketball, volleyball, tennis) :D

or billiards and boxing? the 3 popular sports here the Basketball, Billiards and Boxing bro not volleyball and tennis

TrueBluePinoy
04-25-2009, 03:51 AM
or billiards and boxing? the 3 popular sports here the Basketball, Billiards and Boxing bro not volleyball and tennis

I'm not referring to the most popular sports. I was saying that pinoys are more excited when they watch those types of games basketball, volleyball, tennis which have more action.

Sakamoto
04-25-2009, 12:55 PM
ang basketbol kasi ay laro ng pang masa walang mayaman walang mahirap parang boxing and billiards.
trans:
Basketball is a game for the masses just like boxing and billiards.

Saskibaloia
04-26-2009, 03:08 AM
In my opinion, being a Filipino-Australian I too wondered why did we play basketball and yet we aren't very tall.
The reason why I believe Filipinos around the world have this love for the game that has been passed down to us from our parents and grandparents is because of the rich history that Philippines has in the sport.
Which Asian country has won a medal in an official FIBA tournament? Which country prior to 2006 hosted a FIBA World Championship? Which country besides China has appeared in multiple FIBA World Championships and Olympics? The list goes on and on and on!
It's just like in Uruguay and its football. Currently, Uruguay is not as good as it was during the 1950s to 1980s. The local league has only an average crowd of 1,000 people (if you minus the local derby between my club: Nacional and Penarol), multiple Uruguayans leave the league for Italy or Spain after only one good season in the local league and if not they head over to other Latin American countries such as Brazil, Argentina or Mexico where the pay is higher and the quality of the league is better. However, the Uruguayans still have the love for football is because like Philippines they have a very, very rich history in the sports and so generation to generation this passion from the past is being trickled down to the current generation.

regierr
04-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Basketball is the only sport that has media coverage throughout the country. The promotion of the sport is affiliated with products of companies. This contributes to the awareness of the public through products, making the sport even more popular.

pepman
04-29-2009, 08:56 AM
Basketball is undoubtedly the most favorite sport in the Philippines because every man knows how to play with it. Basketball has its own meaning to every Filipino playing and loving with it, from fans to aficionados to players to coaches to managers to governors and to analysts. Every ball, to a Filipino man, means life, they always enjoy playing with it, and so they would play with it anywhere. Apparently, media exposure of the sport is also the reason why some Filipino fans love it, watching makes some people, aficionados, and fans happy. And that's Philippine Basketball.

ros
04-29-2009, 01:07 PM
Because Filipinos love fast paced, action packed sports like the 2 out of the 3 B's that Filipinos follow. Namely: Basketball, Boxing and Billiard (although Badminton is also gaining popularity).

Of those 3 (excluding badminton), billiards is the only one that is different, it's because it is the Filipinos national past time (gambling hehehe :D).

That I think is one of the main reason why football is not popular here because of the 90 minutes game time you will seldom see a highlight or even worse you'll go home watching a 0-0 score sheet.

TAMPUKOY
04-30-2009, 04:09 AM
Because Basketball is all about confidence in your ability and confidence to your teammates. Its all about respect and passion, the pride of winning and the pain yet learning over defeat, meaning i just love this game man!