Jeremy Tyler follows footsteps of Brandon Jennings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeremy Tyler follows footsteps of Brandon Jennings

Another teenager from USA decided to try european basketball school. Only this one decided to skip last year in high school!

"Jeremy Tyler has decided to forgo his senior year of high school and turn pro.

Yes, high school.

This isn’t some sign of the sporting apocalypse or a teenager with an overvalued sense of worth. It’s a daring, trailblazing yet well-thought-out move that challenges the bizarre way America develops amateur basketball players..."

full article
    People don't come with instruction manuals, that's why to figure them out, you have to press their buttons...

With the hype some high-schoolers get, i'm surprised no kid has made that leap towards the NBA. But if you read this fragment...

In the meantime, Jeremy Tyler’s options were to:

1. Spend the next year at his local school, San Diego High, where he faces quadruple teams and isn’t experiencing much development; or

2. Transfer to a basketball factory in some rural outpost back East which has a big-time team but resembles a traditional high school in name only; and then

3. Play college ball for a few months dealing with NCAA limitations on practice time and coaching contact while competing against many of the same guys he has the last few years.

All for free, of course.
    ...it makes total sense. Even after considering there aren't money or academic issues.

Comment

Originally posted by alermac View Post
      With the hype some high-schoolers get, i'm surprised no kid has made that leap towards the NBA.
      The direct jump from highschool to NBA? It is usually not allowed anymore. Otherwise Jennings would never have considered Europe.

It is interesting though that he is forgoing his senior highschool year to go to Europe. With the top players suffering because of a lack of decent competition over there, that could become a trend.

On the other hand, I doubt he'll get a big contract.

Comment

Problem is Tyler is a massive headcase. An immature, spoiled, uncoachable brat. He has no idea what he's getting into. He looks almost guaranteed to fail in Europe.

Say what you want about Brandon Jennings, but he's a very high character kid. This is a very different situation here.

Comment

How old is he? Will any club accept to give him playing time?

In which country will he leave? What about his family situation?

Jennings seemed to have difficulties at school, which motivated his choices. He seemed to adapt ok to Pro Euro game, and to accept(probably) harder trainings.
          His family travelled with him, which helped him also to keep a good mood. He was quite young to move away but, well, it depends a lot on people to see how they react.

Now, Tyler will be 17, and will integrate a new club. Only few clubs have guys so young play for real. And they mostly are out of their formation programs, so the clubs know them very well.

Now, if he is good, why not?

After, I think for him, having 50k€ + in nature advantages is not bad. I mean, who here can pretend having such a contract after a master?
          It's a bird? It's a plane? No, it's Rudy!

Comment

Originally posted by cheezdoodle View Post
            Problem is Tyler is a massive headcase. An immature, spoiled, uncoachable brat. He has no idea what he's getting into. He looks almost guaranteed to fail in Europe.

Say what you want about Brandon Jennings, but he's a very high character kid. This is a very different situation here.
            I wondered the same thing about him when I read the following quotes:

“It was boring and I wasn’t getting better,” Tyler said of his high school basketball experience the last couple of years. “Each game was the same thing. I was getting triple-teamed and getting hacked. After each game I’d have scratches and bruises up and down my arms from getting triple-teamed. It just wasn’t for me.”
            but his high school team went 15-11 - I mean, 15-11 with such a dominate center, either the coaching was really bad, or this kid wasn't trying.

Stuart
            http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
            http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
            http://www.interbasket.net

Comment

Originally posted by robbe View Post
              The direct jump from highschool to NBA? It is usually not allowed anymore. Otherwise Jennings would never have considered Europe.
              But it was allowed until a few years ago, and it still didn't happen.

Originally posted by robbe View Post
              It is interesting though that he is forgoing his senior highschool year to go to Europe. With the top players suffering because of a lack of decent competition over there, that could become a trend.
              This is the main story behind this.

Comment

Why Jeremy Tyler is quitting high school to play pro ball in Europe

Its all explained here. he will probably be the first of many.

Comment

Not a big deal really, in terms of Team USA or the NBA for that matter since he'll probably come back the second he's eligible for the NBA draft. Just like Jennings did.
                  Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

17 yrs.old Jeremy Tyler negotiating with Israeli hoops team

San Diego teen negotiating with Israeli hoops team

By BERNIE WILSON, AP Sports Writer Jun 12, 8:13 pm EDT

SAN DIEGO (AP)—Jeremy Tyler’s jump from high school to an overseas professional basketball league is progressing to the point that his agent is negotiating with a team in Haifa, Israel.

The 6-foot-11, 260-pound Tyler announced in late April that he was skipping his senior season at San Diego High to play overseas. He had hoped to be able to make a decision by Friday, his 18th birthday.

“We’re pretty close,” said Sonny Vaccaro, the former shoe company executive who is advising Tyler and his family. “There’s no hurry. They don’t start playing until next December. He’s in good shape. We know we have something.”

Tyler would become the first American-born player to leave high school early to play professionally overseas. When he’s eligible for the NBA draft in 2011, some see him as a potential No. 1 pick overall.

Haifa representatives recently saw Tyler work out in Santa Monica and are negotiating with his agent, Arn Tellem.

Tellem, who’s based in Los Angeles, didn’t immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

Tyler wasn’t available either. He was out shopping with friends, said his father, James.

“I wish it was yesterday because I’m tired of the having the suspense of finding out where he’s going,” his father said Friday.

Shortly after Tyler made his announcement, Vaccaro said eight teams from Europe, Israel and China had expressed interest.

James Tyler said representatives from two Israeli teams and one from Rome have seen his son work out. A trip to work out for a team in Spain is on hold while Tellem negotiates with Haifa.

“There were five or six teams at one time that came rushing in trying to do a deal,” James Tyler said. “I just prefer to have it over. I want him to start focusing. The good thing is, he’ll have enough time to know what they’re doing and start working on things they’re going to be asking of him. I’m just tingling to see where he’s at so he can start working on those things.”

Jeremy Tyler averaged 28.7 points during his junior season, but said high school ball had become boring.

Some observers are against his move, but others, such as Hall of Famer and fellow San Diegan Bill Walton, have spoken out in support of Tyler.

Comment

I don't think they can afford him, But that's up to Jeff Rosen. could be an interesting marketing move as well.

Comment

Jeremy Tyler is having a terrible time trying to be a superstar in Israel....

(Jeremy Tyler’s) coach calls him lazy and out of shape. The team captain says he is soft. His teammates say he needs to learn to shut up and show up on time. He has no friends on the team.

Stuart
                        http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
                        http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
                        http://www.interbasket.net

Comment

Originally posted by stuart View Post
                          Jeremy Tyler is having a terrible time trying to be a superstar in Israel....

Stuart
                          Well if he actually thought he'd be a superstar he was dead wrong
                          Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                          Artificial Nature

Comment

This is what happens when you take a teenage kid who has been coddled most of life, and put him in an environment where not everyone is going to simply bow to all of his wishes. I bet Tyler wouldn't mind the care free days of high school basketball now. I never really liked the rationale that he and his family gave for skipping his Senior Year of high school anyway. They acted like the competition he was facing was doing him THAT much of a disservice that they just had to leave. That screamed primadonna to me, and there were hints about his personality when the announcement was made. Even though Jennings said he wished he would have went to a smaller club, he also said that there was no way he would have passed up his senior year of high school to play overseas.

I really don't think we will see a big trend with players going directly from high school overseas. Brandon Jennings is a rare individual, both in talent & personality. He was already a open and worldly type of person, plus he was also already used to being away from home. He went from playing highschool in Compton, California to playing all the way across the country for powerhouse Oak Hill, so I think he was more mentally prepared, and even he went through adversity. Besides AAU, Tyler had never really been out of his homes state before leaving. Even the third guy Latavious Williams who was supposed to go to China ended up not going, he's going to play in the D-League this season.
                            Last edited by Chigusa; 11-09-2009, 05:58 PM.
                            http://BuckeyeBallers.Blogspot.com

Comment

Actully i don't think he made a wrong decision by coming to play here in Israel, but if he already does that then he should at least do what he came here for, learn more about pro basketball (and make some money ofcourse) but he has a very bad atitude since he came here and it's not really going to help hi's career, this is not highschool and he needs to understand that

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information