PDA

View Full Version : BCAP's anti-foreign coaches stance

shoot first,dribble later
04-20-2009, 01:24 PM
the basketball coaches association of the philippines (BCAP) under chito narvasa has been against the hiring of foreign coaches. among the coaches whom they took to court were john moran of shell, paul wolpert of talk n'text and alaska mentor tim cone. just recently, the BCAP chided the SBP for hiring rajko toroman to coach the smart gilas developmental team. narvasa and yeng guiao claimed that hiring foreign coaches like toroman is taking away the chance of filipino coaches to steer the national team.

what is your own stand on this issue?

jesronne
04-20-2009, 01:40 PM
they have false nationalism... before they make stand against foreign coaches they must prove first to the filipino fans that they deserve to be in the bench!!...

for example is Ryan Gregorio... His team only has 9 assist in 48minutes against Alaska... Here in agusan we have Governors Cup maybe he could apply here... or try interbaranggay competitions...

b3lowzro
04-20-2009, 02:13 PM
issue has been dead for many months and besides toroman is already leading the RP team to a right direction which BCAP has not done anything useful to give the RP team respect against their Asian counterparts.

shoot first,dribble later
04-20-2009, 02:15 PM
they have false nationalism... before they make stand against foreign coaches they must prove first to the filipino fans that they deserve to be in the bench!!...

for example is Ryan Gregorio... His team only has 9 assist in 48minutes against Alaska... Here in agusan we have Governors Cup maybe he could apply here... or try interbaranggay competitions...

haha! poor ryan.

armorpiercing
04-20-2009, 03:55 PM
haha! poor ryan.

dude, even a moron wouldnt accept that hes a moron. i worked in our national mental assylum before and the patients in there never accept that theyre crazy.:confused::eek:

the xenophobic principle of the BCAP is a mirror on how theyre so insecure about their baketball knowhow. its just a defense mechanism.

that their craft is outdated and useless in the worlds arena.:p

durden_tyler
04-20-2009, 04:26 PM
But they haven't been protesting lately, right? Does the silence mean consent?
(Or they are waiting for the team to fail and start from there?)

i agree, close-minded people have no place in basketball (or the world for that matter)

nardy
04-20-2009, 05:34 PM

the protest is not about nationalism it is about protecting your own turf. It is about not having a job going to an outsider. It's just that simple. They can claim that they are competent enough for the job but truthfully they are afraid they could not stand-up with merits alone so they are doing this stand in the guise of patriotism kuno.

But b3lowzro is correct this issue has been dead for sometime as we all know Rajko Toroman is neither a consultant nor a project director as he is now performing and at the same time officially being introduced already as the National Team Head Coach. Aside from occasional snide remarks coming from Powerade National Coach Yeng Guiao, there is no noise coming from the anti-foreign coaches camp.

VII
04-22-2009, 10:14 AM
competency is the key word

no local coach has done any better than the "foreign" coaches
until i see the day when international basketball management is dominated by filipino then i would have no doubt that a filipino will be capable of such task
so my view is a lot of filipino coaches are incompetent in international competition

and also might I add the SBP is doing a great job by not succumbing to the pressure of BCAP

if i own a business and i want someone to manage my personal wealth, i would not trust it to a rank amateur, i would find the best person for the job
and this also the same in philippine basketball.

D_I_A
04-25-2009, 06:03 AM
it just show how insecure and threatened BCAP is with the entry of Toroman.

boy, just want to see these people eat their words especially SBP-Smart Gilas Team are now showing signs of progress.

CoJ
07-05-2009, 09:10 AM

That's true brother, False Nationalism.......our local coaches have no idea how basketball operates in the international level....

fthesaint
07-05-2009, 09:23 AM
Just one of the reasons why we are not only lagging in basketball. Too much " nationalism " and Filipino " pride. "

KevinDurant
07-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Just ignore them. They're just insecure, hypocrites.

I hope that more foreign coaches will come here to conduct clinics to the youth and teach them to play bball THE RIGHT WAY.

Also I won't mind seeing a foreign coach in the PBA. For sure it'll be an upgrade over the Gregorios, Favis' and Duremdes...

saints13
07-08-2009, 02:00 PM
There's another issue here aside from Nationalism, Basketball etc...it's unemployment (of those BCAP members)..hehehe. :)

alien space bats
07-09-2009, 04:59 AM
it's not about the coach. it's about the players. we almost beat iran under toroman. toroman is not invincible. he is just a serbian that's all.

TrueBluePinoy
07-09-2009, 05:08 AM
it's not about the coach. it's about the players. we almost beat iran under toroman. toroman is not invincible. he is just a serbian that's all.

With great credentials.
Tell me someone (a local coach) who has greater achievements in the international scene.

alien space bats
07-09-2009, 05:33 AM
With great credentials.
Tell me someone (a local coach) who has greater achievements in the international scene.

no one. but i dont attribute that to the coach's talent or lack thereof. toroman's got impressive resume but we almost beat him. toroman is not a savior of flip basket. what we need are tall and fast players.

TrueBluePinoy
07-09-2009, 05:38 AM
no one. but i dont attribute that to the coach's talent or lack thereof. toroman's got impressive resume but we almost beat him. toroman is not a savior of flip basket. what we need are tall and fast players.

Then go find someone better and if you know some tall and fast players post here how we could contact them. There are a few forumers here that have connections with the SBP. If you have someone in mind, go tell them.

saints13
07-09-2009, 11:03 AM

no offense bro, but I have a different POV. I do believe that discipline and strategy will win basketball games, and that's what Toroman brings to the table, as well as the basketball program for the whole RP basketball..from the mens seniors to the juniors U21 to U18 and so on..up to the women's basketball..we have to revolutionize. Coach Toroman is an educator above all, we need to learn and we need to accept that the Filipinos doesn't know it all. Toroman turned a non-contender IR Iran into the Asian Junior Champs and eventually the Asian Senior Champs in FIBA..aint that something? and until now Iran is gaining from what they experienced with Toroman..let's just see the facts...almost beating Iran under coach Toroman doesn't mean a thing to me.

nardy
08-23-2012, 01:28 AM
http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/agustin-no-longer-part-of-petron-staff-toroman-to-take-on-more-active-role

Agustin no longer part of Petron staff; Toroman to take on more active role
Rey Joble, InterAKTV Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:51 pm

http://cms.interaksyon.com/interaktv/assets/2012/06/petron-coaching-staff.jpg

to Agustin will no longer be part of the Petron Blaze Boosters coaching staff in any capacity next season. The 1992 PBA Most Valuable Player, who piloted the squad to two finals appearances and the Governors’ Cup title in the 2010-11 season, was replaced last week by Olsen Racela.

Agustin’s departure from the staff after a two-year tour of duty paves the way from team consultant Rajko Toroman to play a larger role with the team assisting Racela.

“I will be more active this time,” said Toroman, the former coach of the SMART-Gilas Pilipinas national squad. The Serbian expects the team to have a better showing with his former SMART-Gilas wards, Chris Lutz and Marcio Lassiter, returning to tiptop shape.

The two coaches are no strangers to working closely together, with Toroman serving as an informal consultant and sounding board for Racela during preparations for the Energen Pilipinas national youth team, for which the latter calls the shots.

Toroman said expectations are high for the Boosters, whose campaign last season was a letdown considering the talent of the lineup.

“We’re already a talented team and we have become more talented with the acquisition of new players,” said Toroman. He has high hopes for new recruits June Mar Fajardo and Alex Mallari, who were picked first and third pick overall, respectively, in last Sunday’s draft.

“Fajardo has a lot of potential. Give him some time and he will be one of the best players in the PBA,” said Toroman. “Mallari, on the other hand, is a versatile player, who can play multiple positions. We might try using him as a point guard and he will pose a lot of problems against smaller defenders.”

mangangalakal
08-23-2012, 11:27 AM
WE SHOULD DISCRIMINATE BASED ON MERIT. There should be NO OTHER CRITERIA.

rhk111
01-29-2013, 12:32 PM
The BCAP is at it again. It seems Coaching jobs in the PBA are just so lucrative that the local Coaches want to monopolize it on their own as much as possible ...

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/rajko-toroman-cant-be-pba-head-coach-says-bcap

eekan
01-29-2013, 02:07 PM
Oh come on, he already represented philippines by coaching gilas, or are they against that as well?

Edit: didnt backread, so they were against it obviously :p

angmamatayngdahilsa'yo
01-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Bitter Coaches Association of the Philippines.

pachador
01-30-2013, 06:32 PM
any job must be earned , and is not an entitlement. this kind of attitude is one of the reasons why our country is/was stagnating for a long time not only in sports but other areas, and is similar to the limits on foreign ownership and other restrictive provisions in our constitution put in place to protect the entitlements of the filipino oligarchy, same with the height limits on imports.

rhk111
01-30-2013, 10:52 PM
Bitter Coaches Association of the Philippines.

BASTARD Coaches Association of the Philippines. LOL.

eekan
01-31-2013, 12:56 AM
BASTARD Coaches Association of the Philippines. LOL.

They're getting a lot of bad comments on different online articles about toroman and bcap :P Bad PR for them but do they care for it? lol

rhk111
01-31-2013, 01:09 AM
The poll made by InterAKTV on whether Toroman should be allowed to coach is overwhelming for Coach Toroman, with 92% of respondents saying "Yes" ...

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/poll-should-rajko-toroman-be-allowed-to-become-pba-head-coach

Jordan Bruiseter
02-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Narvasa has expressed approval of Toroman performing the coaching functions for Barako Bull as long as his title remains "consultant." As far as he's concerned, there's nothing BCAP can do if he holds a different title yet performs a coaching function, even if coaches Guiao and Chua, the most vocal in BCAP against foreign coaches, believe otherwise.