PDA

View Full Version : Pepe Sanchez to retire?

DanMajerle
04-15-2009, 06:33 PM
La última asistencia de Pepe Sánchez (http://www.malagahoy.es/article/deportes/399849/la/ultima/asistencia/pepe/sanchez.html)

Will he play for Bahia Blanca next season or already retire this summer?

rikhardur
04-15-2009, 07:03 PM
La última asistencia de Pepe Sánchez (http://www.malagahoy.es/article/deportes/399849/la/ultima/asistencia/pepe/sanchez.html)

Will he play for Bahia Blanca next season or already retire this summer?
I don't think so, the article makes reference to his hometown, not the club.
It's a pity he retires. He's still only 31, he could play a couple more seasons for sure. I guess he was very displeased with Real Madrid and Plaza's attitude towards him. It's a saddened farewell I'd say.

mvblair
04-15-2009, 09:52 PM
What happened to him this season? Just two years ago he was doing so well. I guess I haven't followed him, but how can things change that suddenly?

rikhardur
04-15-2009, 09:58 PM
What happened to him this season? Just two years ago he was doing so well. I guess I haven't followed him, but how can things change that suddenly?
He had a conflict with Real Madrid's coach. He had been promised minutes and an important role on the team, but that didn't happen. Worse than that, Sergio Llull started being used over him to an extent he didn't play a single minute for games in a row. Sánchez ended up being released.

alermac
04-15-2009, 10:10 PM
He has been saying for a while that his body couldn't keep up with high-level competition, that's what had caused him to retire form the NT after 2006 and also had said so during his season in Barcelona (also because of Dusko's physical demands). So i think he'll retire, because if his body is the reason behind all of this, i don't see him enjoying the extense wear and tear of an Argentinean season like Montecchia or Espil do.

Plus, he already has his future set, since he owns the Argentine license for AND1.

damelo
04-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Please send him to Nancy, they desperately need a PG!

mvblair
04-16-2009, 02:40 PM
Wow, that's really disappointing to read that he was so under-utilized by Plaza. Sánchez is a fantastic player and a veteran of many years. I mean, Llull over Sánchez? Sorry, but I can't support a player whose name I can't pronounce.

damelo
04-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Wow, that's really disappointing to read that he was so under-utilized by Plaza. Sánchez is a fantastic player and a veteran of many years. I mean, Llull over Sánchez? Sorry, but I can't support a player whose name I can't pronounce.

To help you: Lyulyh :p

robbe
04-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Sorry, but I can't support a player whose name I can't pronounce.
San-shess. It is rather easy.

Neozyrus
04-16-2009, 04:24 PM
Its pronounced lyul (more or less)

mvblair
04-16-2009, 10:02 PM
San-shess. It is rather easy. :rolleyes:

Zanzibar
04-16-2009, 11:08 PM
:rolleyes:
Too bad. Dirty Sanchez is one of my favourite 'players'.

leonidas
08-02-2009, 11:37 PM
he's my fave player too...:D

jugoplastika
08-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Maestro de maestros...:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOO22R8WcIw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bZQAyoPK8E&feature=related

stuart
11-11-2009, 05:32 PM
From Matt Walsh's Euroleague diary:

My favorite college player of all time was Pepe Sanchez, the great PG from Argentina, who played his college ball at Temple University, and later played for some of the best teams in Europe. He's hands down the best passer I've ever seen at any level, including the NBA.

That's quite a compliment considering the likes of Jason Kidd, Chris Paul, Pablo Prigioni....

Stuart

MarkoMilic
11-27-2009, 08:23 AM
According to rumours, Fenerbahce is interested in signing him. Is there any information about him? Where is he right now?

alermac
11-27-2009, 02:27 PM
According to rumours, Fenerbahce is interested in signing him. Is there any information about him? Where is he right now?
I think he's been a free agent so far.

alermac
12-10-2009, 12:44 AM
Pepe gave a long interview to sports newspaper Olé (Main link (http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2009/12/09/basquet/02058222.html) Secondary link (http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2009/12/09/basquet/02058224.html)). Some interesting quotes:

"My original plan was to stay in Bahía Blanca until December and then hit the market to get a club in Europe, but i'm going to delay it a bit more. [...] I'm not moving until late February. My priority is Europe, but i don't rule out anything; not even staying and signing for an Argentine team"

"-You're training with Estudiantes.
-I go once a week to stay in shape. [...] I also play with friends, run and lift weights. I'm ready to play."

"The career starts as a dream, becomes a reality and then turns into a burden. [...] You even get mad at basketball. [...] Making a pause in this crazy world gives you the possibility to see things more clearly. It's useless being in a place without enjoying it, even if they pay well. It's pointless".

"-Luckily, there were some (offers). But i told my agent i'm off the market"

"-I want to keep playing; but there are moments in life to priorize other stuff. It's been 15 years non-stop. I needed to break the routine. [...] I want it to remain being a game and enjoy the last years of my career [...] I know i'll play a few more years"

"-For next season, i'd like to develop a project to return the city to its elite place in national basketball, pour my experience and help the club (Estudiantes). Luckily, i'm in a position to make a choice. My numer one option is Bahía. And staying home"

DanMajerle
12-11-2009, 10:06 AM
:):):):)

Just give him a team where he gets regular playing time and runs the offense.

stuart
01-25-2010, 05:05 PM
He's baaaaack, looks like Pepe Sánchez is making his return to Argentina’s Liga Nacional de Básquetbol

http://www.interbasket.net/news/2010/01/25/pepe-sanchez-returns-to-argentinas-liga-nacional/

Stuart

mbenga
01-25-2010, 07:27 PM
Yep, he'll partner with other juniors like Espil, Hernán Montenegro or Lazaro Borrell. :p

DanMajerle
02-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Looks like a done deal http://www.infobae.com/deportes/498936-601275-0-Pepe-Sánchez-vuelve-la-Liga-Nacional .

His debut is scheduled for February 17 vs Atenas.

DanMajerle
02-17-2010, 12:53 AM
In his debut for Obras Sanitarias Sanchez scored 14 points, dished out 12 Assists, had 4 steals and grabbed 5 rebounds to lead his team to victory.

http://www.eurobasket.com/boxScores/Argentina/2010/0214_1085_1096.asp

rikhardur
03-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Sánchez left Obras.

alermac
06-05-2010, 05:24 PM
After the Obras fiasco, Pepe decided to develop a project with the Bahia Blanca local league and Estudiantes (the city's financially struggling LNB team) to create a franchise that can finally give some professional management and financial stability to the team, and represent the whole city with Bahia Blanca-born players, as well as developing the city's promising youngsters. It's called Bahia Blanca Basquetbol, and it will form a temporary two-year alliance with Estudiantes before fully taking over. So Pepe will be a directive on this organisation, but he will also play, along Juan Espil and others.

alermac
06-07-2010, 04:43 AM
Google translation of an article in LNB.com.ar

Pepe Sanchez and his project with Estudiantes

"We gave back the illusion to the people"

The Olympic champion will return to the National League in its dual role of player and project it merged with Estudiantes de Bahía Blanca. His 14 seasons between the U.S. and Europe allow him to speak for his idea in charge of a team, which he tells to LNB.com.ar.

Pepe Sanchez acknowledges that the phone is burning, that has not stopped ringing. At this time of year is impossible to think about vacations. His decision to take a project lead responsible for the spot that corresponds to Estudiantes de Bahía Blanca in the National League, absorbs almost all day. Although now he's a bit quieter, because, as he tells LNB.com.ar, "next week will sign all papers with people from Estudiantes and presented to the AdC so that everything is official. We are in a period of hard work, with some setbacks logical. Deciding not to follow was somewhat difficult for Estudiantes and give away the spot is not easy. However, with the agreement of both parties we restored hope to the people of Bahia Blanca, which is that of being outside the National League have now a long-term and ambitious project. Renewed our expectations. "

- What are the goals that you approach this project?

- We propose three cycles. In the first two years will seek to reinstate the basketball in the city of Bahía Blanca and restore the relationship with people, while seeking to assemble competitive teams with aspirations of growing up. Initially we will seek the playoffs for the title and in the second year, if possible, reach semis, it would be great. In the third and fourth year there will look to fight for the title. In the past many years Estudiantes played to keep the category and now seek to grow, although growth is according to the financial support you have.

- What do you think organizational structure be?

- There will be a general coordinator, a marketing manager, another for communication and a team leader, which seem to me essential areas of any serious organization. In addition, there will be three persons in charge of social projects that are included in our proposal: one related to the clubs in the city, another one with artistic and social activities with disadvantaged or special sectors. In the first year will seek to consolidate the organization, in which human value will be key.

- How is the budget issue facing?

- We are satisfied, because it's done. In addition, we signed agreements for three years, giving us long-term peace. We will not move as planned, we will move with actual figures, but I guarantee recovery to all and offer organizational quality. To trust in the project must be persuaded with facts.

- You once said that in this league that paid money players and the representatives and the clubs were losing money.

- It's a mistake to think that the players will balance the economy. Neither they nor the coaches nor the players will offer to earn less. It is the employer who must state clear rules and make decisions to avoid inflating the market. The lack of accountability of some leaders hurting the club ends. For the passion of fans or people pressure the leadership makes commitments that can not be enforced. Then, as there is no personal guarantee is not in the pocket of the leader game, everything falls on the club. We must aim to change the organizational structure and the leader with their heritage endorse the commitments made. That would make for an end to madness. In the League is showing that few teams have a leader who responds with their heritage are more orderly.

- Do you think that change is possible with existing structures?

- Another way would be to have more targets for clubs. Here the 16 teams believe they are fighting for the title and from the moment that there are different budgets, there will be teams with more opportunities than others. Some are contenders for the final, others, hopefully, to be among the best 4 and others, if they make the playoffs, they should celebrate too. However, everyone gets mad to be champions and it seems that other than that, it is useless. We must break the vicious circle and professionally managing the sport, without damaging the clubs. Lowering costs is not pleasant, but it's true. In all this time I discussed the operation of the National League and I found many virtues and many flaws. Spending on contracts is a major drawback. Whoever wants to spend more, is in his own right, but must do so with real support.

- From Bahia Blanca long complained because there was no support from businesses and enterprises. You see the same?

- We have a good support. Like any city responds to stimulus and in this case worked well to generate the stimulus and that both companies and people are tipping to the team. Bahía Blanca is a city that lives mostly in trade and has some limitations. We must encourage it. We will face a logical transition to the identification of the city with the team we want. We do not want the disappearance of Estudiantes, because it has a rich history, if not the inclusion of the city to the team.

- How do you see the National League from the inside?

- From the sporting point of view is very interesting, we're fine. It should be a little make-up infrastructure and improve the image, bet more to the show to attract more people. There must be a general decision to target that. That was the last end enjoyed a product category. So you have to match up, not down.

- Are they going to remodel the stadium Estudiantes?

- Yes, we will initiate some reform in order to make it look better. We must fix the locker room, set up a VIP room for corporate events with sponsors and media room. We will provide it with a general cleanup and aim to improve the lighting and sound.

- How do you feel in the dual role of manager and player?

- Some experience I have to do things in parallel, because while I played, I studied, and then I got into several businesses. These months will be vital before the preseason to leave all things set with the working group. There, each sector will be responsible for their work and I will only focus on playing. Then you know, this is a business. Probably invest a lot of time and lose money ... (laughs). I hope I'm wrong, but I will definitely be the last one to cash its salary ...