PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Nike Hoop Summit

JGX
04-13-2009, 02:29 AM
World Team wins for the first time since 1998, outscoring the US 36-19 in the fourth quarter to win 97-89:

http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=09_hsum_game
http://www.usabasketball.com/men/2009/09_hsum_box.pdf

sinobball
04-13-2009, 04:26 AM
I watched the entire game. USA led for almost 36 minutes, only to lose in the last 3 minutes. Team World has trouble protecting the ball from USA's quick guards, but they made up for it by dominating the glass especially offensively.

Milan Macvan, Serbia: MVP of the game. Solid on almost all aspects, even though his athleticism is really subpar (got blocked twice I think). Great rebounder, passer and can score in a variety of ways, from 2 feet outside the 3 point line to post up down low. Really quick release too.

John Wall, USA: This kid is the real deal, folks. Lightning fast, his handle is great and his athleticism jaw-dropping. Long arms, plays defense, great court vision and his passes are very creative. Only down side is that he resorts too much on his athleticism and I don't remember him hitting jump shots, but his potential is fantastic. Top 5 pick down the road for NBA.

Donatas Motiejunas, Lithuania: Best prospect for the World Team. Skinny but displayed a great post game and can go both directions. Athleticism and speed also good for his size, and also showed that he can handle the rock with both hands. Next Dirk in the making.

Tomislav Zubcic, Croatia: Another solid prospect, playing SF at 6-11 or so. Very good handles and passing game. Athleticism is average and frame is very small. Should be in the NBA in a few years.

John Henson, USA: Very athletic dude, I like him.

Xavier Henry, USA: Scored a ton of points, great shooter and slasher.

Avery Bradley, USA: Small guard who shoots a lot. Not much of a passer at 6-3 which is concerning if he wants to play at the next level. Really an athlete though.

Kevin Seraphin, France: Good athlete.

Renardo Sidney, USA: Huge body, but didn't do much other than trying to run the point once.

Zhang Dayu, China: Watched the game mainly for him. Didn't even try to post up although he scored 6pts. Long ways to go for the kid to even make China NT.

sinobball
04-13-2009, 04:29 AM
Here's another person's review of the prospects
http://nbadraftprospects2009.blogspot.com/2009/04/2009-hoops-summit-world-97-us-89.html

Highlights:
hNUboK4Xk-I

Miškinis
04-13-2009, 06:58 AM
Full game here (http://68.142.251.61/dxsnfs01r82/082/yahoosports/14/83503339.wmv?StreamID=83503339&pl_auth=e6f1bb6845d32afb21785f4de19676cf)

Phantim3dx
04-13-2009, 02:49 PM
anyone have the torrent link to this, its an intersting game. im watching it now on the link.

Remon
04-13-2009, 08:25 PM
God dammit, do the people back in the states believe that there's a european union team or something? Cause that Meyers dude never forgot to note that the europeans of the world team have played together before.

It's really getting annoying to say this thing everytime an american team loses, and especially in this kind of games. They're kids, they don't need an excuse for losing.

sashikas
04-13-2009, 09:46 PM
God dammit, do the people back in the states believe that there's a european union team or something? Cause that Meyers dude never forgot to note that the europeans of the world team have played together before.

It's really getting annoying to say this thing everytime an american team loses, and especially in this kind of games. They're kids, they don't need an excuse for losing.

He said that three or four times during the broadcast. It sounded odd when he said that first time. But he added - "played together during the camps, etc.". I thought - ok, there might be one camp a year, where they could meet, but whatever... When he repeated that for couple more times - the thought was - "Come on, enough already, stop talking bulshit". But when he again pointed that out as a main reason of a loss at the end of the broadcast, I thought - what a sissy.

Short thoughs on the game. John Wall looked really outstanding. Renardo Sidney looked fat. American poor man's Sofoklis Schortsianittis. Mačvan shined. That cluch time three pointer was the best expression of his self confidence. Also several quick passes to the teammate, running to the fastbrake were well timed. The comparison with Charles Barkley probably is correct. Tomislav Zubčič a revealation for me. I was surprised that he was running the point for some period of time in the second part of the game, and despite his height (213 /6'11) that task was done OK. Motiejūnas spent some time in SF position, although he was the tallest guy on the court. This was done, because there were no decent standart-sized SFs on the team, I guess.

GL3
04-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Anyway, you can not really expect those dudes to fully understand what is happening. European ball has gained a lot of respect over the last 5 years. You should seriously start counting the references to the Beijing Gold medal during NBA games. They realised it's a big deal and point it out whenever they have the chance. Afterall the core of the team was 3rd in the WC of 2006...

Just for the fun of it, the broadcaster reminded us that Macvan is the Euroleague rising star - he obviously meant the Eurocup here but oh well, O have to give them there are many things they have to learn and just like I said they are doing some effort lately.

About the game, the big threes were obviously Macvan, Motiejunas, Zubcic for the World and Bradley, Henry, Wall for the US. A special mention to Kevin Seraphin who although lacking fundamentals is an athletic beast and Nikos Pappas who is more suited for the European game but was the only perimeter player in the world team who helped the team in scoring - 7 in the last quarter if I am correct. I really liked Nocedal too, he reminded me of the young Pepe Sanchez.

Good game overall and impressive clash of styles.

pohani komarac
04-14-2009, 12:17 AM
He said that three or four times during the broadcast. It sounded odd when he said that first time. But he added - "played together during the camps, etc.". I thought - ok, there might be one camp a year, where they could meet, but whatever... When he repeated that for couple more times - the thought was - "Come on, enough already, stop talking bulshit". But when he again pointed that out as a main reason of a loss at the end of the broadcast, I thought - what a sissy.

Short thoughs on the game. John Wall looked really outstanding. Renardo Sidney looked fat. American poor man's Sofoklis Schortsianittis. Mačvan shined. That cluch time three pointer was the best expression of his self confidence. Also several quick passes to the teammate, running to the fastbrake were well timed. The comparison with Charles Barkley probably is correct. Tomislav Zubčič a revealation for me. I was surprised that he was running the point for some period of time in the second part of the game, and despite his height (213 /6'11) that task was done OK. Motiejūnas spent some time in SF position, although he was the tallest guy on the court. This was done, because there were no decent standart-sized SFs on the team, I guess.

Zubcic played PG for Croatia in Albert Schwitzer turnament last yer averaging 4,9 asists. We played bad thare but we mised 3 players from staring linup Prostran, Batur and I. Ramljak but still 4,9 asists is impresive for guy of his size. Coach Perasovic didn't play him big min. but I still belive that he is doing good job with him. So far in 3 games that he played against weak teams he is averaging 10pts and 8rb in about 20min. Some people compares him with Kukoc just because he is tall and can shoot, ball handlle and pass but that is wrong. Toni was some kind of artist on court whille Tomislav is more random player with similar tools. He is big gamble but could become great player. Not like Toni but still great. As for Macvan i watched good number of his games this year and I would compare his game to D. Milojevic. In my mind he is taller version of Milojevic.

rikhardur
04-14-2009, 03:16 PM
USA – Emerging stars shine bright at Nike Hoop Summit

PORTLAND (Nike Hoop Summit) - Kevin Garnett and Tony Parker took part in the Nike Hoop Summit as youngsters before playing in big games with their national teams.

Garnett went on to capture an Olympic gold medal with Team USA in 2000 while Parker is the leading light of France’s national side and will this summer attempt to lead Les Bleus into the EuroBasket via the Additional Qualifying Round.

Twenty rising stars who could have big roles in the future with their respective countries competed at the annual Hoop Summit over the weekend in Portland.

A world select team defeated a USA Basketball men's junior national select team 97-89 in front of more than 11,000 spectators. The game was also broadcast on national television in the United States.

“That was the biggest crowd I have ever played in front of,” said the USA’s Xavier Henry, who led the hosts with 22 points.

“Every time we scored or got a steal, it was the loudest crowd I had ever heard. It was a great atmosphere to play in.”

Twelve Hoop Summits have been held and the USA still hold a commanding advantage with nine victories.

Some on show in Portland will compete for their national sides at July’s FIBA U19 World Championship in New Zealand.

The world select player who caused the biggest stir was Milan Macvan of Serbia, a vital member of the Hemofarm side in the Adriatic League and the EuroCup.

Macvan led the world select outfit with 23 points and a world team Hoop Summit record 14 rebounds.

Nine of those boards were on the offensive end.

"Number 10 (Macvan), he was the glue to that group," said USA head coach John Olive.

"I don't know if there was a key turning point, but whenever they needed something, he seemed to get it done."

Emerging Lithuania international center Dontas Motiejunas of Kaunas, who is still only 18 years old and should feature in New Zealand in July, contributed 21.

One certain selection for the Greek side that will play in Auckland in July is 18-year-old Nikos Pappas, the MVP of Greece's gold-medal winning side at the U18 European Championship last year in Amaliada-Pyrgos.

Pappas played 24 minutes for the world select and had 10 points and three assists, and also came up with two steals.

Croatia will play in New Zealand and their forward, Tomislav Zubcic, impressed in Portland with 17 points and five rebounds.

A couple of French players were in the world select side in Edwin Jackson and Kevin Seraphin.

The 6ft 9in Seraphin of French club Cholet had nine rebounds and four blocks to go with his eight points.

Nanterre point guard Jackson had five points, four rebounds and four assists but also turned the ball over five times.

“The crowd was here to see the US team beat the world team by 20 and see some nice dunks, but all of a sudden, it turned into a good basketball game,” Jackson said.

“Maybe they were disappointed that they didn’t have the show that they came for and see the US team beat the world by 20. For us, this is huge.”

Argentina’s Mateo Gaynor of Benetton Treviso in Italy and Matias Nocedal of Spanish LEB side Vic Girona played at the Hoop Summit.

China’s 19-year-old center Zhang Dayu played and had six points in 10 minutes.

Rob Beveridge, who coached the world team, said: “Individually, we are never going to beat the USA. The USA players one-on-one are way too talented, too athletic. They are far better athletes than what we have.

“We have some good athletes but they have superior athletes, so we had to get through to our players that the only way to beat USA is to play as a team. We had to get the players to play out of position as well.

"By putting people in different situations, it makes it real tough and unbelievable credit to these guys for the sacrifice they made for each other and the common goal of trying to play our best.”

The USA will be among the favorites in New Zealand.

The outlook of its national teams at junior and senior level remains bright.

Two of the Americans’ star players in Portland, Leslie McDonald and John Henson, are headed to the University of North Carolina.

Carolina were recently crowned NCAA champions after thrashing Villanova and Michigan State at the Final Four in Detroit.

The Memphis Tigers had to like what they saw from their prize recruit, 6ft 5in forward Henry. He drilled six three-pointers.

Avery McDonald, a guard who is to play for Rick Barnes at Texas, poured in 21 points.
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/29835/arti.html

alermac
04-15-2009, 10:14 PM
I really liked Nocedal too, he reminded me of the young Pepe Sanchez.
That's weird, i always saw him as a short SG being miscast as a PG, like Dwayne Wade used to.

I've been trying to find any comment about his and Gaynor's performance, and found virtually nothing:(

GL3
04-16-2009, 02:11 AM
That's weird, i always saw him as a short SG being miscast as a PG, like Dwayne Wade used to.

I've been trying to find any comment about his and Gaynor's performance, and found virtually nothing:(

Check this out my friend.:cool:
http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/International-Blog/#Nike-Hoop-Summit-International-Prospects-3181

Lebron23
04-21-2009, 09:19 AM
John Wall is a Beast. He's going to be the Future First Overall Pick in the 2010 NBA Draft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CbQGBbUOw&feature=channel_page

:D:D:D