Help - Uruguay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Uruguay

Please, don't bother if I start a brand new thread. But I need some info about Uruguayan League (LUB). I was in search for some websites about this league but I'm really struggling so far...So if anyone can help me...

I would like to get some info about teams. I mean scores, stats, and if it's possible, some general notes about history (date of foundation of the clubs) and arenas (their names and capacity).

Thanks in advance.

http://www.latinbasket.com/Uruguay/basketball.asp (I'm sure you checked it already anyway )

Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Comment

Hi Rik!
      Yes I previously checked latinbasket, while I didn't know the other two links. I feel they can be useful to me, thanks a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by special-thanks-2 View Post
        Please, don't bother if I start a brand new thread. But I need some info about Uruguayan League (LUB). I was in search for some websites about this league but I'm really struggling so far...So if anyone can help me...

I would like to get some info about teams. I mean scores, stats, and if it's possible, some general notes about history (date of foundation of the clubs) and arenas (their names and capacity).

Thanks in advance.
        Hi, I can help you in terms of actual spectator experience since I used to live in Uruguay and have attended multiple basketball games both top level and semi pro level during my stay there.

Is there someone you know who wants to play there?

Cheers.
        "No hay poder en el mundo que pueda cambiar el destino"
        -El Padrino

Comment

Originally posted by Saskibaloia View Post
          Hi, I can help you in terms of actual spectator experience since I used to live in Uruguay and have attended multiple basketball games both top level and semi pro level during my stay there.

Is there someone you know who wants to play there?

Cheers.
          Hi!
          The links provided by Rikhardur were very useful to me (thanks again).

Yes, there are some players which I personally had the chance to see here in Italy recently (among them Darius Rice, who was cut by Montegranaro before the season started), but basically I needed those info because I'm trying to learn more about South American basketball, but I see that some leagues are still very poor in terms of coverage. I knew that basketball has a very long tradition in Uruguay so I thought it was easier to find stuff, stats, news and similar things over the net, but I was wrong since most LUB teams don't even have an official website.

Anyway, what can you tell me about arenas? It seems most of them are very small gyms (they have around 1000 seats). Is it true? From what I have found the only large arena is Paysandu's (I believe its capacity is around 6500 seats).
          About the level...Do you think it's a lot lower than Argentina's LNB?

Thank you.

Comment

Anyway, what can you tell me about arenas? It seems most of them are very small gyms (they have around 1000 seats). Is it true? From what I have found the only large arena is Paysandu's (I believe its capacity is around 6500 seats).
            There also is the Cilindro of Montevideo, which is kind of the national indoor stadium. And the Palacio Peñarol, which belongs to the famous soccer club of that name in Montevideo.

Comment

In terms of the capacity of the arenas it is true that they stadiums on average are small BUT the crowd are VERY, VERY FANATICAL because many of the clubs have a very strong history as well as family ties (such as Bohemios or even lower level clubs back in 2007 Cordon was in the Liga Metropolitana but they had AWESOME crowd support). In addition, many of the clubs have links to football clubs such as my club Club Nacional de Futbol thus, many of the fans are football fanatics who come to the game bringing with them their "hooliganism"/ fanaticism to the game providing and an even more intense crowd atmosphere.

One major reason for the rise in the sport in terms of popularity in comparison to the 1990s where only 200 to 500 people would attend (without any enthusiasm) is because of the efficiency of the basketball administration of Uruguay as well as the marketing campaigns of the basketball clubs.

alermac is right that you do have the Cilindro which has a capacity of approximately 9,000 as well as the Palacio which belongs to the "crazy people" of Penarol but these stadiums are only used for special occasions such as the finals or Uruguay's All Star Weekend which is called "Los Super Cuatro"

It is definitely lower than our brother's in Argentina. Many of the Uruguayan players that don't make it in Europe head over the river to play in Argentina. Even Uruguay's ex-NBA Esteban Batista is playing there right now after an unsuccessful stint in Israel and Russia.
              -El Padrino

Comment

It is definitely lower than our brother's in Argentina.
                But very improved over these last three or four years; they were not only a step behind Argentina and Brazil, but also behind Venezuela and barely above Chile. Now Uruguay's best teams can make the Top 5 of South America. That is some leap.

Many of the Uruguayan players that don't make it in Europe head over the river to play in Argentina. Even Uruguay's ex-NBA Esteban Batista is playing there right now after an unsuccessful stint in Israel and Russia.
                Actually, right now there are just two Uruguayans in Argentina: Batista and Taboada. García Morales also played in the second division two seasons ago, because Uruguayan clubs had boycotted him at the time. I wish there were more Only in early 2002 it happened, when the massive depreciation of Argentina's currency (and overall crisis) forced many clubs to get rid of its Americans and sign cheaper players, many Uruguayans included.

PS: García Morales just signed for Saba in Irán
                Last edited by alermac; 03-25-2009, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by alermac View Post
                  PS: García Morales just signed for Saba in Irán
                  WOAH!!! ... n I thought seeing Uruguayan footballers in Qatar was unusual much more a Bballer in Iran! ... I'm sure he'll have da experience of his life...

Originally posted by alermac View Post
                  Actually, right now there are just two Uruguayans in Argentina: Batista and Taboada.
                  I wish Uruguayans were considered locals in the Argentinian league just like in Australia where Kiwis (New Zealanders) are considered locals rather than imports when they play in Australia's top league because then they would be able to play in a much higher level, be exposed to better coaching staff as well as higher level or better quality infrastructures. I'm certain if that happened a whole heap of Uruguayan players would try and go over the River Plate to try out in both top flight and second division clubs. Or better still maybe Montevideo can have a club in the Argentinian top flight or at least in second division. We can be called the Montevideo "Monitos" (little Monkeys) ....
                  -El Padrino

Comment

I'm certain if that happened a whole heap of Uruguayan players would try and go over the River Plate to try out in both top flight and second division clubs.
                    That would be a thrill for LNB, Uruguayan league has many players that would perform better than most nationals. But don't see it happening anytime soon, unless some European Union-style rule comes into place.

Or better still maybe Montevideo can have a club in the Argentinian top flight or at least in second division. We can be called the Montevideo "Monitos" (little Monkeys) ....
                    Actually, LNB President Eduardo Bazzi talked about this idea on December 2001 (right during the great economic crisis in Argentina), about inviting one or two Uruguayan clubs to LNB and/or TNA division. Uruguay didn't have a proper league back then, and Bazzi said those clubs would compensate the exit of clubs that would diseappear because of the crisis. Neither happened, and the idea was soon discarded.

Comment

It would have been interesting to see 1-2 Uruguayan teams in Argentina's LNB. But I guess that won't happen...

By the way, guys, can you please help me rank the main South American leagues (including Mexican LNBP)? Thank you.

Comment

By the way, guys, can you please help me rank the main South American leagues (including Mexican LNBP)? Thank you.
                        Here is my ranking: there is a clear top tier of 4 leagues, and then there are the others.

1) Puerto Rico's BSN (has the best imports and nearly all top PR players; although i think it's more of an official summer league, due to its calendar - not trying to offend K2 or PRSURF )

2) Argentina's LNB (the best proper year-round league... if only it were more stable and professionally managed!)

3) Brazil's NBB/LNB (it keeps getting top Brazilian players back; the downside is that Brazilian teams hire few imports)

4) Mexico's LNBP (has many imports and very good ones, due to bigger budgets and being close to the US; but it seems to have few good clubs and many mediocre ones, because of its over-expansion)

now, entering a clear step below:

5) Venezuela's LPB (it's like BSN, but not as good. And now, with Venezuelan federation wiped off FIBA Americas, it could really get hurt)

6) Uruguay's LUB (improving every year)

7) Dominican Republic, Chile
                        Last edited by alermac; 03-31-2009, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X

Debug Information