ISRAEL, the exiled giant of Asia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISRAEL, the exiled giant of Asia

I bet, if Israel would be allowed to compete again in Asia, they would surely whoop Iran's, Lebanon's, Korea's, or even China's butts.

Israel has some of the best Asian players we have not seen yet because they play in FIBA Europe or Eurobasket as they call it, against some of the best national teams in the world.

Israel has been removed from the Olympic Council of Asia in 1981 due to political pressure from Arab countries. So what they did was to apply membership in the European Olympic Committee.

Israel has won the Asian Games gold in 1966 and 1974 plus a silver in 1970 (3 straight finals appearances).

Their top club team, Maccabi Tel Aviv has been a powerhouse team in Europe for the past 2 decades and is constantly competing in the Euroleague.
    ......¤......
    ¤........... ¤

???

bro...can you tell us who are these asian players whow are playing for Israel right now?

Comment

Since Israel is located in Asia, he means Israeli player with "Asian players".
      burnstein

Comment

well the reason why Israel plays in Europe rather than in Asia is that majority of the Islamic countries would boycott the competition when Israel participates.
        you know why I am happy

Comment

That's true. They not even "would", they much rather "are".
          The question itself was hypothetical anyway ;-)
          burnstein

Comment

its good for israel not to play here in asia because i think there genes are europeans... and if israel plays in asia then it will be china and israel always in the olympics...

Comment

Originally posted by jesronne View Post
              its good for israel not to play here in asia because i think there genes are europeans... and if israel plays in asia then it will be china and israel always in the olympics...
              years of being with the europeans and other parts of the western world would really change their appearance and their gene pool plus they're also caucasians just like other middle eastern countries.
              you know why I am happy

Comment

Originally posted by b3lowzro View Post
                well the reason why Israel plays in Europe rather than in Asia is that majority of the Islamic countries would boycott the competition when Israel participates.
                Yes, but also bare in mind that in the early years we were good enough to stand up to European countries at the eurobasket, and the European cup.
                In our first ever eurobasket in 1953 (we were invited, there were no qualification then..) we finished 5th and didnt won a medal on basket differential. The country was only 5 years old and even without a league...that was established only a year later. A year later, an 8th position at the world championship.
                The bottom line, we were good enough to play in Europe, so here we are.

Comment

Israel isn't that strong,I think Iran can well compete with them.
                  Maccabi Tel Aviv is a powerhouse but the clud depends on imports very much,and I do remember there is a famous former NBA player in this team,but have forgotten his name at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by ArnoldPettybone View Post
                    The bottom line, we were good enough to play in Europe, so here we are.
                    Arnold, I don't think that's a good reason. To say that any country good enough to be in a region should compete in that region seems silly to me. In that case, why aren't the US and Puerto Rico competing in Europe? Or why isn't China in the European region?

I've always been uncomfortable with Israel competing in the European region of sports. If we’re going to divide our world geographically, Israel is a part of Europe. If there are some countries that want to boycott games in which Israel competes, let those countries boycott. FIBA and Israel shouldn’t kowtow to those countries by moving Israel into another region of the world.

Originally posted by Grr_tiger
                    I bet, if Israel would be allowed to compete again in Asia, they would surely whoop Iran's, Lebanon's, Korea's, or even China's butts.
                    I disagree with that. Israel’s team is strong, sure, but they haven’t had very good results. Their most recent big win was against a very poor Serbian team and a good Croatian team in 2007. Israel is ranked number 25 by FIBA. Now, I know that the FIBA rankings aren’t necessarily “accurate,” but even compared to other European teams, Israel isn’t that hot. Slovenia is the next best team in Europe, and they have 64 more FIBA points than Israel.

Israel has absolutely one of the best domestic leagues, but frankly, their national team needs a lot of work. Of course, they could prove me wrong this summer at Eurobasket. They’ve got a pretty easy group (GB, Bosnia, Czech Republic)
                    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair View Post
                      I've always been uncomfortable with Israel competing in the European region of sports. If we’re going to divide our world geographically, Israel is a part of Europe. If there are some countries that want to boycott games in which Israel competes, let those countries boycott. FIBA and Israel shouldn’t kowtow to those countries by moving Israel into another region of the world.
                      Are you meaning they should be in Asia?

Because what is commonly used as frontier between Asia and Europe is Ural, Caucase, and the Black Sea... Then Israel is in Asia.

Even Turkey, for many people, is in Asia(although Istanbul is in Europe through this definition).

Now, the matter for me would have been popular violence danger between Israel and the Arab countries. After, ok, Israel proved to be good enough, but then, why do Portugal plays in Europe? (Sorry Rik, tou can replace it by any country you want )

@ Arnold: This 1953 team... was made of Russian players, no?

@ Pinoy guys: What their genes are doing in this conversation?
                      It's a bird? It's a plane? No, it's Rudy!

Comment

Originally posted by damelo View Post
                        Are you meaning they should be in Asia?
                        Yes.
                        Because what is commonly used as frontier between Asia and Europe is Ural, Caucase, and the Black Sea... Then Israel is in Asia.
                        Yes, I agree. If FIBA is going to divide countries into traditional geographic regions, it seems reasonable to put Israel in Asia.
                        "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

This same question appears here every three months in different forms. It's not that weird considering the confusion created by the geographical definition of Europe. However I'm again doubtful about the sincerity of the question.

Originally posted by Grr_tiger
                          5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair View Post

Israel has absolutely one of the best domestic leagues, but frankly, their national team needs a lot of work. Of course, they could prove me wrong this summer at Eurobasket. They’ve got a pretty easy group (GB, Bosnia, Czech Republic)
                            Actually they're in the same group as Greece, Croatia, and FYRM. Not the hardest group but much harder than the one above.
                            Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

The teams that Matt has written were in the qualification round. Israel got the Eurobasket ticket as the second placed team with point differential, if I'm not mistaken.
                              5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information