Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your best/worst basketball memories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your best/worst basketball memories?

I've seen a lot of basketball games over the years, but there are a select few that stand out as memorable games. Below, I offer some of my opinions...

Best memories...
    1) USA vs. Spain: The US winning a thriller over the Spanish to capture the 2008 gold medal (no lie).
    2) Detroit Pistons vs. LA Lakers: The Pistons sweeping the Lakers in four games en route to their first NBA Championship in 1989
    3) Detroit Pistons vs. Portland Trailblazers: In 1990, The Pistons winning their second league title after defeating Portland in a 5 game series.
    4) Detroit Pistons vs. LA Lakers: In a rematch of the '89 finals, the Pistons taking four of five games from the Lakers to win their third NBA title in 2004.
    5) USA vs. Cuba: Believe it or not, the "Dream Team's" opening game versus Cuba in the 1992 Tournament of the Americas stands out more to me than their gold medal game against the Croatians. It was so electric seeing that team take the floor for the first time!

Worst memories...
    1) Michigan vs. North Carolina: I still have a hard time watching this game on tape. I was absolutely devastated when Chris Webber called a time out Michigan didn't have, resulting in a lost of possession and technical foul shots which helped UNC seal its 1993 NCAA Championship.
    2) Detroit Pistons vs. LA Lakers: Losing to the hated Lakers in the 1988 NBA Finals had me upset for days. The image of Isaiah Thomas hobbling around on a busted ankle trying to score/defend against LA endures with me to this day.
    3) Wayne Memorial HS vs. Southfield Lathrop HS (1996): I was a senior at Wayne Memorial High, and our boys' varsity team made it all the way to the Michigan Division A state semi-finals. Unfortunately, they lost to Southfield Lathrop in a hard fought, competitive game that I saw live along with 100 of my classmates: great experience with a disappointing end to the season.
    4) USA vs. Argentina: The 2004 Olympic semi-final loss to the famed Argentine team was a real blow to the stomach. I kept waiting for the US to respond and match Argentina's intensity but it never happened. Although they bounced back to win bronze over Lithuania, for US supporters like myself, the entire 2004 experience was a nightmare.
    5) USA vs. Greece (2006): One of the lowest moments I've ever felt about a US national team performance. The US simply got taken apart by a superior Greek squad using basic pick and roll basketball. The score at the end doesn't truly reflect how badly outplayed and out coached the Americans got.
    Last edited by Federoy; 03-14-2009, 08:05 PM.

Really interesting thread

Ok, I'll share my memories:

Best ones (in no particular order, cause they all means a lot to me and it'd be very hard to choose one whichs is the best one):

Lithuania - Spain (EC 2003 final). What to say here? Lithuania played one of the greatest games in their history and won the title after 64 years period. It's hard (or even impossible) to explain what it ment to all of us.

Zalgiris - Kinder (1998/99 EL final). It's not only the title, it was smth more. Fantastic bball, which Zalgiris played all season long and final was no exception. Offensive, fast, joyable to watch. Huge party after the game in all country (there was no rivalry between Zalgiris and Rytas back then ).

Lithuania - USA (2004 groups' stage). What a great game. That's was great gift to me, cause it was my birthday few days earlier and on saturday, when the game was held, I was partyin' with my friends and family in front of TV. The day and game to remember in my life

Lithuania - Serbia/Montenegro (2000 Olympics quarterfinal). Yep, former Yugoslavia was the team that we were never able to beat in Sabas/Marciulionis era. They always were beating us in most important games (1995 EC final or 1996 OG semis), but the time came, our new generation played fantastic game and beat S&M in style. I with friends and other few hundred people were watching that game in big tent via wide screen TV, the atmosphere inside was fantastic and the victory against old and seems unbeatable rival was sweet as mug of beer

Lithuania - C.I.S. (1992 OG 3rd place game). I was kid back then, but that game branded in my memory till now. It's because I saw in my father's and other people eyes how much it ment to all of them and how happy they were (of course I was too ). 1st independent Lithuania's bball trophy after long years of occupation. It was more than a game.

Maybe I forgot smth now, but still those 5 games I will always remember.

Worst memories:

Hard to choose between two of them, which would be 1st and 2nd

Lithuania - Italy (2004 OG semi). Probably was the last time I've almost cried. I probably would, but just couldn't understand what happened for some time... A perfect tournament for Lithuania, fantastic bball, superb results and boooooom....... That was so heart breaking that I just can't explain how. I still believe that we would have beat Italy 9 out of 10 games then, but why the hell that one came exactly that day Maybe semi between Argentina and USA had some influence, cause most of us knew, that now the gold is so damn close, but if we loose, to beat USA the second time in one tournament would be so hard. It was like "all or nothing" game and we failed

Maccabi - Zalgiris (Top16 in 2003/04 EL season, deciding game for Final 4 spot). The last seconds of the game I could call as 8th wonder of the world. That was just unbelievable what happened there. Now if you look closer at every detail, you just understand that there was a seconds when one team got damn lucky in every single little moment and other was so damn unlucky. What if Maccabi's airball from triple few seconds before the end would hit the rim, what if not Vujcic would grab offensive rebound, but the ball went out of bounds or Beard would grab it. What if Saras wouldn't have catch Gustas and make a foul on him, what if Gustas would make a singly free-throw, what if Beard would't go for offensive rebound at all, what if he wouldn't go for it too early and leave Maccabi with two seconds and they would have been forced to shoot from their own basket, what if any Zalgiris' player would go and guard the player who throwed out the ball and ty to prevent him to make a good pass, what if Bagatskis even with fingertips would reach that pass to Sharp, what if we managed to foul Sharp before the shot and etc etc etc. so many "IF" and if even one of them would have been in our favor....

Btw, here is final 10 seconds.

Btw I remember we were watching that game in pub and with those 10 to go, I've already ran to shop to buy a champaigne for celebrations and what a surprise it was to me when I came back and saw no celebrations outside the pub....

Then goes:

Lithuania - Yugoslavia (1995 EC final). Totally disaster. Djordjevic with game of his career. Referee from NBA - Tolliver. Damn I still remember his name after so many years
    Still, the positive thing was audience during and after the game. Almost all arena were chanting: Lietuva, Lietuva, Lietuva (not Lithuania). It was really heart touching moment, cause there was very little fans from Lithuania.

Lithuania - USA (2000 OG semi). What a chance we've got back then. Nobody expected anything from this game, just good preparation for 3rd place game against Australia, but it came out as one of most entertaining game in OG or even international bball history IMO. Lithuania was the first team, which was so damn close to beat US team with NBA players. 41s left, score even and Siska was fouled while shooting 3pts shot... Till that moment he was shooting ft with 100%, but... he made only last one. US played the end better and won. I remember back then all of us were talking that it would have been better if we're lost by 10-15pts, cause it was too painfull Of course after we won bronze medals' game and some time passed, our opinions changed totally

Lithuania - Spain (1999 EC quarterfinals). After tough start, our NT found their rythm and was cruising through 2nd stage of tournament, beating every rival in style (even Italy, which became champs later). Sabas, Karnisovas, Einikis, Zalgiris' players, who just won EL. But that game in qtr finals was disaster from the start. Herreros and co. had great game, while we were struggling a lot. Sabas had worst game of tournament. Still, young Jasikevicius contributed for the first time in NT jerseys back then, he took responsibility on his shoulders, made 3 or 4 triples and 10s before the end the score was even. Spain got the ball and Adomaitis made an early foul. Don't know why, maybe it was coaches decision, maybe he made it accidently, but Spain made both ft and Saras last mid-range shot wasn't good. The road to gold was over. Still, we managed to destroy Russia and Turkey in 5-8 place games and won ticket to Sidney.

Wow, that's quite long post of me Too much memories were refreshed

Comment

Efes - Stefanel Milano, Korac Cup final (1996).
      First European cup (and only ). Incredible feeling at the time.
      1-point advantage, we have the possession, Naumoski handing the ball to Gentile, his shot going in. A shock for a sec, noticing later it was already over, then pure great joy.

Turkey - Croatia, 2001 Eurobasket, quarter-final game.
      Huge comeback win. Mirsad playing the major role with an incredible passion and inhuman performance. It was better than semi-final win the next day.

Turkey- Lithuania, 2006 WBC, first game.
      Less talented team, great hustle, perseverance, and first official win over Liths. An unexpected but truly proud performance throughout the tournament.

Argentina - USA, 2002 WBC.
      Before that game it was a surprise for me to notice how awesome a team could play. And they went on to beat up the mighty USA. Convincingly!

==================================================

Turkey - Brasil (2002 WBC).
      Buzzer beater 3-pointer from M. Machado. I refused to believe this was real for a week.

Efes - Aris in Saporta Cup final (1995?)..
      Sad for losing (48-50), angry for the events after the game.

Turk Telekom - Limoges, 1998(?), Korac cup quarter-final (?).
      Incredible atmosphere, we needed 13 point difference, we obtained +15-16 in last minutes, but choked in the end (game ended +8 or something like that).

Argentina-Yugoslavia, 2002 WBC final.
      A great team robbed of the gold medal. Really sad feeling.
      Last edited by Levenspiel; 03-14-2009, 02:01 PM.
      5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

Some of the games that came 2 mind quickly:
        Best moments:
        1)Greece vs USA WC 2006 semifinal
        The biggest victory in Greek sports history imo. Most people here didn't believe we had a chance. It was a great success 2 beat team USA with many stars in it and especially not by stealing the match, but by winning it in their own game.
        2)Greece vs France EC 2005 Semifinal.
        The amazing comeback from -7 in 50'' and the first final since 1989, together with the feeling of success after a slumping period 4 Greek bball. I enjoyed that much more than the final because I had the feeling that we would win in the final no matter who the opponent was(and I was right, we beat Germany easily in the final).
        3)Greece vs USSR EC 1987 final
        This would definitely b the first moment 2 come in mind, but I was just 7 years old and I didn't understand much about bball back then. It is the biggest moment in Greek bball anyway, because without that success most Greeks wouldn't care that much about the sport.
        4)Olympiacos vs Barcelona Euroleague 1997 final
        The first and only european trophy 4 my team after a rollercoaster season with everybody doubting them came in a convincing way; a 15-point win in the final.
        5)Olympiacos vs Panathinaikos Game 5 of the Greek league in 1996
        The biggest margin in a domestic derby(73-38) against our arch-rivals coming in a season when Panathinaikos had won a controversial Euroleague title came as the best answer.
        Bonus:The 2000 NBA finals with the Lakers winning their first title under Phil Jackson against Indiana.

Worst moments:
        1)Olympiacos vs Joventut Badalona Euroleague 1994 final
        A game that everybody was sure Olympiacos would win. It was lost in a dramatic way(being scoreless 4 the last 8 minutes!).
        2)Greece vs Spain 2006 WC final
        Just 2 days after the big win over USA, we were all sure we would beat Spain(without Gasol), but instead we lost by 23 starting the bad streak we have against them.
        3)Greece vs Yugoslavia WC 1998 semifinal
        A loss 2 a team I disliked in a controversial way at home in a World Championship where USA was already out and with the big chance 2 become World Champions being lost.
        4)Lakers vs Pistons 2004 finals
        I was sure again that the star-studded team of Shaq, Kobe, Karl Malone and Payton would beat the Pistons in the finals, but the result and the way Detroit was playing upset me and marked the start of the anti-Pistons era 4 me. I even enjoyed next season's finals when San Antonio beat Detroit with Robert Horry's(former Laker) heroics.
        5)Olympiacos vs Panathinaikos Game 5 of the Greek league in 1999
        Losing a championship at home 2 your arch-rival is always bad. When that defeat starts a bad period 4 your team and a dominating one 4 your opponent, that's even worse.
        Bonus:The EC 1995 final with Yugoslavia beating Lithuania with much help by the refs. Yugoslavia had been using this "assistance" all along 2 reach the final and that final could b the best european game of all time, but instead turned out 2 b a parody. The Greek crowd in the arena sided with Lithuania just because of this injustice.
        Your time is up my time is now,
        you can't see me my time is now...

"Basketball is like the church. Many attend it, but few understand it"

If u smell what the G.L. is cookin'...

The Demon of Greek loby is here!

Comment

Best

Olympiacos-PAOK..1998 greek championship semi finals,series tied at 1-1,whoever wins proceeds to the final,the game was pretty ugly and error driven,20 seconds left,score was 55-55 and the ball at Peja's hands(who was crap until then)..the rest is history..
          Ο Στογιάνκοβιτς ξεσκίζει τον Θρύλο τον gay μέσα στο ΣΕΦ. Θρύλε gay φύγε από την χώρα.

(PAOK put an end to Oly's 5 year domination only to be beaten by Pao and his grey friends in the finals )

Worst

Real Madrid -PAOK 1992 cup winners cup final

I don't remember much of the game itself but i do clearly remember the final seconds.Prelevic scoring an amazing 9 metres three pointer to tie the game,some Real player missing the free throw and Fasoulas in one of the dumbest plays in the history of the game throws a terrible pass that was easily stolen by Brown who gave Real the win.All he had to do was wait for the time to pass and lead the match to extra time,PAOK had the momentum and would have propably won..
          The worst thing about the game is that it changed Prelevic's(one of the greatest players and warriors) philosophy on the game and life in general.As he later admitted,after this game and the way his team lost he just didn't care anymore about basketball as much as he did before.

Όλος ο αγώνας εδώ:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfaQvTITDFI17/3/92. Ο ΠΑΟΚ υπερασπίζεται τον τίτλο του κυπελλούχου Ευρώπης ανεπιτυχώς.Οι τελικοί του ΠΑΟΚ σ...

Comment

One of the best memories I have is from the 1994 World Championship and the final game USA vs Russia. Now that was a game... I watched it countless times, could predict the moves, etc.. But I was very sad because Fetisov didn't play, as I hadn't seen him play in the tournament. Oh the early adolescent days...
            I'll post the rest later.
            Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
            Artificial Nature

Comment

Great thread

When Thinking about such a topic many fond memories come to mind especially concerning our NT :

Best moments:

1) Lebanon vs France WC 2006 1st Round

Many critics and bball experts considered Lebanon's win over France by far as the upset of the tournament (Final score 74-73 for Lebanon).
              What was so significant about this win is that it occurred while Lebanon was engaged in a war with Israel (which started in July 2006), so this victory lifted alot of spirits amongst the Lebanese population and we were all really proud of what our NT was able to accomplish through these severely tough circumstances.

2) Lebanon vs South Korea Asian Championship 2001 Semifinal.

It was with this win that Lebanon was able to qualify for the first time in our lives to a World Championship (2002 World Championships in Indianapolis). The game was really tough but eventually we were to pull out a crucial victory (Final score 75-72 for Lebanon) and cause a big stir in Asia since Korea and China were considered to be the big powerhouses in bball in Asia back then. This win came due to the efforts of 2 of our current great players Fadi Khatib and Rony Fahed (the latter scoring a crucial 3 pointer in the last minute of the game to secure the victory)

3) Lebanon vs Qatar Asian Championship 2005 Semifinal.

We were able to qualify to our second straight world Championship (2006 World Championships in Japan). This game was very tough since we were playing the best Qatari team that was assembled and we were able to defeat them in Qatar (where the Asian Champs. were taking place. Final score was 83-79 in favor of Lebanon.

4) Lebanon vs Venezuela WC 2006 1st Round

Even though Venezuela was supposed to be the easiest game for us in our group since the other teams were France, Serbia+Montenegro, Nigeria, and Argentina; it still wasn't expected that Lebanon was definitely going to secure this victory. Fortunately we were able to win by a margin of 10 points and get our first major victory in a big tournament (82-72 final score for Lebanon)

5) Bulls vs Suns Game 6 NBA Finals 1993

It was the first time that our local channels showed live NBA games (First time I watched MJ live on tv was during this series ). I woke up at 4:00 a.m in the morning to watch MJ and co. defeat Barkley and the Suns through that last shot taken by John Paxson . I still remember this moment cuz I was sitting right in front of the tv and I couldn't raise the volume too much so as not to walk up the rest of my family

Worst moments:

1) Lebanon vs Iran Asian Championship 2007 Final

Very sad day in Lebanese bball history since this was our biggest chance to play in the Olympics and we blew it (I couldn't watch the game since I was in Dubai attending a job conference) but as soon as I called home to find out who won I was devastated cuz I was sure we could win but unfortunately this didn't happen (Iran won 74-69).

2) Lebanon vs Greece Pre-olympics Qualifier 2008 in Athens, Greece

Perhaps one of the worst games we ever played in a long time. Papaloukas & Co. (No offense PAO fans but he is the captain of ur NT ) kicked our asses big time (Final score was 119–62 for Greece). What upset me was that the Lebanese team did not prepare well for this tournament and we had some crucial injuries but those are not valid excuses to be thrashed like that. Our players didn't seem to care and played really sloppy.

Comment

Originally posted by Federoy View Post
                snip
                christ I can almost copy and paste your list being born and raised and Detroit and having gone to Michigan . I was too young to truly appreciate the bad boys so that opens up the list to new entrants.

Best of Times

1: Pistons 5 game sweep of the Lakers in 2004. I was too young to appreciate the bad boys, so this Pistons team has a special place in my heart. The overwhelming doubt the Pistons could do a damn thing against the Lakers made it all the better, Lakers in 4 cause the Pistons can't score. Drew Sharp even said Lakers in 3! So when the Pistons came into LA and punched them in the mouth, then proceeded to do it again, and again. Man good times.

2: Tay's block on Reggie, and Pistons win ugly. Conference Finals 2004.
                The East was supposed to be the consolation prize, and more to the point it was supposed to just go to the Pacers. This was there coming out party, this was Reggie's last chance. We didn't have any stars, we were just a bunch of cast offs who played the best defense in the league, us fans were just happy to be there and not get swept this time. Then we started winning, then we started believing. Tay's block on Reggie to seal game 5 and the apocalyptic rock fight that was game 6. Two things now legendary in Pistons lore.

3: Game 1 Pistons vs. Celtics NBA Playoffs 2nd round 2002
                This one might be odd, since we went on to lose the series in 5. But this remains the first and only playoff game I've had the pleasure of seeing live and in person. This was the start of the rebuilding effort, Grant was gone, the teal era was dead, the Pistons were back, and tickets were cheap. The place was rocking as the palace always was then, it was a revival of the good old days, and we had no idea where it would lead the East was just so wide open. After years of mediocrity, our first 2nd round in a decade was a delirious win against an old rival!

4: The Redeem Team
                You never know what you got till it's gone. We took our dominance for granted, so when we lost it was shocking to see just how badly we wanted it back. The olympics used to be a distracting exhibition, now I got the sweaty palms I got watching the Pistons in a playoff game, then as the games went on it got even more intense. The game against Spain was the perfect ending. Gone were the days of walking in and taking the gold. It had to be fought for, possession by possession as a championship should be. Staying up till the whee hours of the morning chatting with friends, to stay awake just so we could hear our anthem play. It's a new era.

5: The Dream Team
                I was just starting to get into basketball fully, I was about 7, and it was the first Olympics I could really appreciate. Perfect storm really, I was in awe of these guys. Casual and total domination, I couldn't appreciate it till later but these guys were the most awesome force I have ever witnessed on the court.

Worst of Times.

1: Game 5 2005 NBA finals
                Alright we've got the lead, we've won two straight, we're the defending champs and we've even got Tim Duncan under control. But we're only up two, they have the ball with seconds left, and Robert Horry's going insane. Anything can happen just don't leave him open for three. We don't deserve to win if we leave him open for three (said this outloud to several witnesses), go to overtime if we have to. Alright here we go, and wait Rasheed what are you doing?! RASHEED NOOOOOOOO!!!

2: Chris Webber calls timeout.
                Ugh Federoy summed this one up, except imagine the viewer is only 8 at the time. I'm pretty sure I cried. I don't want to remember anymore....

3: Joe Dumars last game
                I don't know, looking back there was nothing sad or unexpected about it. But I built it up in my head, the Pistons would advance, they would give the Bad Boy legend a proper send off. We wouldn't go down to the Hawks on the road in a crappy excuse for a high school gym. But we did. Joe D went out in a crappy gym, against a crappy franchise, on the road where crowds couldn't give a standing O, wearing teal....ugh tempered by time and Joe's heroic return as GM but still...ugh.

4: Greece beats the USA 2006
                It was supposed to be a return to the old days, and through much of the tournament it was looking like it. We were serious, none of this C team garbage from the previous two tournaments. We had future greats, it was time to be dominant again! And then we got punched in the mouth....
                Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
                  1: Game 5 2005 NBA finals
                  Alright we've got the lead, we've won two straight, we're the defending champs and we've even got Tim Duncan under control. But we're only up two, they have the ball with seconds left, and Robert Horry's going insane. Anything can happen just don't leave him open for three. We don't deserve to win if we leave him open for three (said this outloud to several witnesses), go to overtime if we have to. Alright here we go, and wait Rasheed what are you doing?! RASHEED NOOOOOOOO!!!
                  I woke up at 4 am to watch this game and although I am not a fan of the Spurs I watched this game as if my team were playing(I also wanted 2 tease a friend of mine who likes the Pistons) and at that play I stood up and celebrated it like I would celebrate a basket by Papaloukas 4 example! No intention of provoking u but u just brought this memory 2 my mind. I always liked Robert Horry from his days in Houston. Since that day I always called him Robert Horny!!!
                  Last edited by rikhardur; 03-14-2009, 07:12 PM.
                  Your time is up my time is now,
                  you can't see me my time is now...

"Basketball is like the church. Many attend it, but few understand it"

If u smell what the G.L. is cookin'...

The Demon of Greek loby is here!

Comment

Originally posted by T.W.Is.M. View Post
                    I woke up at 4 am to watch this game and although I am not a fan of the Spurs I watched this game as if my team were playing(I also wanted 2 tease a friend of mine who likes the Pistons) and at that play I stood up and celebrated it like I would celebrate a basket by Papaloukas 4 example! No intention of provoking u but u just brought this memory 2 my mind. I always liked Robert Horry from his days in Houston. Since that day I always called him Robert Horny!!!
                    No worries, time and alcohol cure all wounds. If this were a funny drunken stories thread, the 2005 NBA finals would feature prominently in my post.

Besides, I can always watch the 2004 finals to cheer me up.
                    Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Best:

1) Argentina vs USA, Indianapolis 2002 (we just couldn't believe it... a 20-point blowout by halftime, Jermaine O'Neal stepping on Scola out of frustration, Oberto and Nocioni dunking with such ease...)

2) Argentina vs USA, Athens 2004 (that one we did believe, but it was sweeter)

3) Argentina vs Lithuania, Beijing 2008 (two little-used subs deciding the game, plus a limping Nocioni stealing balls and fastbreaking, made it epic)

4) Argentina vs Italy, Athens 2004 (mostly because this game had a "sure win" sensation from the very beginning... even though it was only safe after Montecchia's threes)

5) River Plate beats Boca Juniors on 2006 (a 25-point comeback on a city derby is a thing that I can't forget easily; i still remember Maurice Spillers going coast-to-coast for the basket that sealed the comeback, or Kevin Lyde' exhausted and sweaty ass causing all Boca big men to foul out)

6) Argentina vs Lithuania, Atlanta 1996 (100% unexpected win, washed away by the subsequent loss to China; Nicola's and Wolkowyski's serious injuries were the bad note)

Worst:

1) Argentina vs Spain, Japan 2006 (one day, i still expect that shot to go in :P)

2) River Plate disappearing from LNB after 2005/06 season, due to debt.

3) Argentina vs China, Atlanta 1996 (100% unexpected loss that knocked the team out, right after the Lithuania win; bricked threes all over the place!)

4) Argentina vs Yugoslavia, Indianapolis 2002 (this would have been a big scar for the NT if not for the 2004 Olympics... you just can't lose that way)

5) Boca Juniors beating River Plate 10 consecutive times between 2004 and 2005, including two Copa Argentina finals. The first one even included a missed dunk by Mariano Byró, on a 1-on-0 fastbreak that would have tied the game with a minute left. A very painful one.
                      Last edited by alermac; 03-14-2009, 08:17 PM.

Comment

4) Argentina vs Yugoslavia, Indianapolis 2002 (this would have been a big scar for the NT if not for the 2004 Olympics)
                        I'm convinced Argentina would have won the title had Ginobili not injuried has ankle and the officiating was more consistent. But history is history regardless of circumstances, and Yugoslavia proved to be the better team that day.

Comment

Originally posted by Federoy View Post
                          I'm convinced had Ginobili not injuried has ankle and the officiating was more consistent, Argentina would have won the title. But history is history regardless of circumstances.
                          Sure, and the Jaric foul is still widely remembered. But this game left me with a sad sensation of "so close" and "this was a once-in-a-lifetime chance" that stood for two years.

Comment

christ I can almost copy and paste your list being born and raised and Detroit and having gone to Michigan . I was too young to truly appreciate the bad boys so that opens up the list to new entrants.
                            Hey, than you know exactly how I feel being from the area! I could've just as easily put Dumar's last game and Tay's block of Reggie Miller on my list also since those were defining moments for me as a Detroit native and sports fan.
                            It's good to be able to relate with someone that knows the area and the local sports scene.

BTW: I could've put Michigan State winning the NCAA title in 2000 as a great moment, but I'm a WOLVERINE fan for life, so I'll never cheer for the enemy no matter what they accomplish.

Comment

Lithuania - Spain (EC 2003 final). What to say here? Lithuania played one of the greatest games in their history and won the title after 64 years period. It's hard (or even impossible) to explain what it ment to all of us.
                              You won't believe it Mindozas, but I actually have this game on VHS tape. (I ordered it from FIBA's website years ago) Awesome performance by the Lithuania team!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information