Your early Rankings for Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your early Rankings for Japan

Here you can post your early rankings about the upcoming World Championships.
    Here are mine:

1. Spain: I am still a bit unsure about that, however they are the deepest team here and on their prime, even without Fran Vasquez as their fourth big man.
    2. Argentina: The addition of Prigioni will give them an amazing PG combo for the International game. Still, I think that they needed one more big man.
    3. Greece: 12-men rotation and amazing defense comes to meet with the best perimeter line in Japan. Still, no shooting touch might hurt them.
    4. USA: It all depends on whether Hinrich and Miller remain on the final 12. The best SF line here and the frontline is deep and can contribute.
    5. France: Extremely solid squad with athletic and young guys ready to change international ball forever. Still, they lack frontcourt depth.
    6. Lithuania: The best frontline of the competition will heavily depend on Macijauskas in the perimeter, as Jasikevicius and Siskauskas are out.
    7. Brazil: Unfortunately, their bench is not as good as their starting lineup, but Splitter-Marcelino-Varejao-Barbosa are an amazing tandem.
    8. Serbia: Darko will be a monster, but their bench is thin and Rakocevic may not even be the leader they need right now.
    9. Germany: Maybe the return of Okulaja will be what Dirk needs and then they are even a top-6 team. Better than last year, but are they equally solid?
    10. Slovenia: Same stoary as every year. I hope they can finally utilize what they have and find at least a decent chemistry for longer than the group stage.
    Sexuality when one reaches their 30s is either mainstream or sick, but no matter what, it isn't pure

Japan 2006

I don't mean to sound prejudiced,but I disagree about the greatest depth of Spain and I think that it is Greece and Argentina that should claim this "title".
    Sure,they have players like Gasol and Navaro,but guys like Cabezas,S.Rodriguez or M.Gasol/Sonseca are imo inferior to ours Spanoulis,Zisis and Schorstanitis or to Argentina's Prigioni,Farabelo and Wolkowiski.By the way,is Hermann playing in the WC?
    This of course doesn't mean that Spain can't go all the way.To sum up,and even though it's still early to say,my favorites (in order of chances) are :
    1.USA (despite their poor frontline)
    2.Argentina
    3.Greece
    4.Spain
    5.France
    6.Brazil

Comment

I have to see all the teams to be more objective, but for now:

1. USA, but... depends on the coach K efforts in team building exercise.
      2. Argentina, but... they still have to prove it was not by chance they won the Olympic gold (meaning, they still have to beat Lithuania at least once in an important match )
      3. Lithuania, but... depends on the way teams solves the absence of solid PG and true center.
      4. Spain, but ... they still have to develop the winners' mentality.
      5. Greece, but ... still have to prove the Euro title was no accident.
      6. France, but ... can go much higher (if good chemistry between Tony and the frontline).
      7. Serbia, but ... young, though angry and hungry.
      8. Brazil, but ... may also be the surprise team in the competition.
      9. Slovenia, but ... may still be another surprise if they solve their psichological problems (i.e. finally winning something on the mature level)
      10. Turkey, but ... the lack of "stars" may be helpful and the team might go much higher than anyone predicts.

Comment

We made a similar list about six months ago, and interestingly mine has not changed.

1- USA
        2- Argentina
        3- Spain
        4- Lithuania
        5- Greece
        6- France
        7- Slovenia
        8- Australia
        9- Serbia&Montenegro
        10- Germany
        11- Brasil
        12- Italy
        13- Turkey
        14- Puerto Rico
        15- China
        16- New Zealand
        17-24: No idea
        5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Civilis
          3. Lithuania, but... depends on the way teams solves the absence of solid PG and true center.
          Javtokas isnt a true center?!?!
          and i think the most important factor in Lithuania's success is Maces

Comment

Brothers Lavrinovic are our key to success. Believe me, those guys really deserve to play in the best European teams.

Comment

Originally posted by KokkinosVasilias
              Javtokas isnt a true center?!?!
              and i think the most important factor in Lithuania's success is Maces
              What I meant by the absence of "true centre" was someone with 215cm and more, who would prevent the ones like Gasol, Nowitzki, Diaw or American "buddies" from going over people's heads. We don't need big Z, Eurelijus Zukauskas would be enough (he absolutely fits the LTU scheme of play)

Javtokas is center, but not the one who would regularly stop the BIG GUNS and he is pretty week on the offensive end. He really suffered against the big slow French Weisz... The LTU problems under baskets were very visible in Eurobasket2005 1/4 game against France (and they were visible in this year's friendly vs. France too)...

Otherwise, we still can go for the top places, but that will not be easy at all.
              Last edited by Civilis; 08-01-2006, 07:28 PM.

Comment

1. usa
                2. argentina
                3. france
                4. spain
                5. greece
                6. serbia
                7. slovenia
                8. germany
                9. italy
                10. lithuania

Comment

1. Argentina
                  2. Greece
                  3. Spain
                  4. USA
                  5. Lithuania
                  6. Slovenia
                  7. France
                  8. Italy
                  9. Germany
                  10. Serbia & Montenegro
                  2008... Beijing, China
                  2010... Vancouver, Canada
                  2012... London, United Kingdom
                  2014... Shoci, Russian Federation
                  2016... Madrid, Chicago, Tokyo???

Comment

1. Argentina: They have won everything lately; even they lost the last world championships in 2002 because Ginobili was injured. It's the same squad, still mature but not old.
                    2. USA: The most talented squad, but hardly the best team... unless they prove me wrong.
                    3. Spain: A very strong squad both in the frontcourt (Gasol and Garbajosa) and in the backcourt (Calderón and Navarro).
                    4. Greece: The European champions, competitive, experienced, talented. They have who is currently the "official winner" in international competition in Theo Papaloukas (as Bodiroga or Jasikevicius were in the recent past).
                    5. France: Very talented and athletic. They will miss a distributing point guard (Rigaudeau), but Diaw can make up for it. They lack some perimeter shooting desite having added Foirest.
                    6. Brazil: Talented and wild; extremely dangerous, perhaps not enough solid to go all the way.
                    7. Germany: Dirk is the best player of the worlds.
                    8. Lithuania: They will miss Jasikevicius badly, as well as Siskauskas, but they have an extremely solid paint game and Macijauskas in the perimeter.
                    9. Slovenia: Talented but a typically losser team. They are not tough enough and usually fall apart in important games facing serious teams.
                    10. Serbia and Montenegro: Depleted roster, but still with very good players such as Avdalovic, Rakocevic, Askrabic or Milicic. A big question mark.
                    11. Italy: Another depleted roster, Bargnani could have made them a lot more dangerous.

Comment

1. Argentina

Seem to play together for ages, have athleticism aswell as good shooting, basketball IQ and excellent passing. Best PG duo in the world today. But thing is, favorites never win, altough USA is widely regarded as official favorite.

2. USA

Athletically best team by far, best rebounding and defense team. Lack a really good shooter but have Anthony, Bowen or Joe Johnson, who are good shooters. Bowen, Battier and Hinrich are really good defenders who can make a hard time for Ginobili, Macijauskas or Basile.
                      However, they lack basketball IQ and I think it's really dangerous to make Lebron and Wade your Go-to-Guys as they lack shooting and cannot drive to the basket with zone defense. Additionally, they won't have the big referee bonus they have in NBA.

3. Greece

Very difficult team to play. Play extremely slow basketball, very good defense and good shooting, well organized, finally showed they can win important games in last EC. I'd like to see them against USA in quarterfinals, as the systems of both countries differ a lot (and I'd like to see Wade or Lebron play against Diamantidis)

4. Germany
                      Underestimated as always but they'll be strong as always, altough there are some question marks.
                      Germanys biggets strength will be their team spirit and their good role distribution once again. Everyone knows his role an accepts it.
                      Nowitzki is the best player in the World, team does no rely so much on him as Okulaja comes back (who can score 20 every game) and there even is the option that Dirk can play SF as Julian Sensley joined the team, who is a solid PF. Additionally, Steffen hamann returns and fixes a big problem in our backcourt as he is a big PG and can defend against big PG's.
                      However, we'll have to see how Femerling recovered from injury and how Dirk copes with the NBA Finals loss and the short break.

5. France
                      Most athletic team after USA. Tony Parker has to show that he can be a star under FIBA rules, Boris Diaw is an MVP candidate and they have a solid frontcourt after addition of Petro and Turiaf, something they desperately lacked in EC. Still they miss solid outside shooting, so that can be a problem in important games.

6. Spain

One of the best rosters with one of the best players in the world in Gasol. They'll do very good in the first rounds but as always they will choke in important games. Spanish baksetball team did it regularily in alst years and spanish football team also, must be genetical.

7. Lithuania
                      Desperately lack a good PG and Siskauskas as SF, good frontcourt but miss the pieces you need to win it all. Can be a dangerous opponent because of their good passing and outside shooting but won't do much better than in last EC.

8. Italy
                      Whenever you think they don't have anything to do with Quarterfinals they suprise big time. So I suppose they'll do it again. Hope Basile is in better shape than last season in Barcelona as he is really fun to watch.

9. Brasil
                      Looked suprisingly good against Argentina. Talented squad, but too unorganized and too less experience in my opinion to go far.

10. Serbia Montenegro
                      Did not really impres so far in preparation games. They have solid players who could suprise if they play together as a team, Milicic will play a good WC.

11. Slovenia
                      12. Turkey
                      13. New Zealand
                      14. Puerto Rico
                      15. Panama
                      "It's not about four guys working to get one player open and give the ball to him."- Ettore Messina

Sanchez, Ginobili, Basile, Kukoc, Sabonis

Comment

Originally posted by YYY
                        Brothers Lavrinovic are our key to success. Believe me, those guys really deserve to play in the best European teams.
                        imho they easily deserve to start for NBA squads, especially Darius (easily one of the best players of any position in Europe), but the basketball world got strange recently.. and in this case it's only for the good (screw NBA).

I forgot to add that you guys tend to overrate Macas (though I hope I'm wrong here). however, overrating him should work to Lithuania's advantage.
                        generally imho this tournament will be unpredictable. imho some 10 teams can win gold with only US standing out with probably best roster and best chances. but having good names will not decide this tournament as it hasn't decided simmilar tournament for years now.
                        Last edited by kestas; 08-03-2006, 11:51 AM.
                        stop russia

Comment

Originally posted by DanMajerle
                          7. Lithuania
                          Desperately lack a good PG and Siskauskas as SF, good frontcourt but miss the pieces you need to win it all. Can be a dangerous opponent because of their good passing and outside shooting but won't do much better than in last EC.
                          So far LTU is good at everything else BUT NOT AT "passing and outside shooting" that you mention Maybe we take the World by surprise with untraditonal weapons they don't expect us to use

PS (EDIT): we may miss some pieces, but have the SYSTEM that no one else has and WIN IT ALL The unique TEAMWORK CULTURE has always been the star in this team
                          Last edited by Civilis; 08-03-2006, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Anyway it's great not to be favourite, then you can catcch some teams by surprise... Off course there is not much of a surprise if Lithuania beats somebody afterall
                            People don't come with instruction manuals, that's why to figure them out, you have to press their buttons...

Comment

Originally posted by kestas
                              imho they easily deserve to start for NBA squads, especially Darius (easily one of the best players of any position in Europe), but the basketball world got strange recently.. and in this case it's only for the good (screw NBA).
                              My original post was "in the best NBA teams" but then I realised that I don't like NBA, so I changed it to "European".

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information