PDA

View Full Version : Airlines

Zalgirinis
08-01-2006, 09:52 AM
I believe flying to your destination is also a part of holiday or travel. So what can you say about one or other Airlines?

I'll start with my recent one, which happened with the trip back home from Athens to Vilnius through Prague. We got to the Czech Airlines plane in Athens and everything seemed to be ok, but then they said you have to wait 10 minutes because of something, after 10 mintues lasted 20 minutes, they said wait another 20 minutes, that meant that we already wont be in time for flight from Prague to Vilnius. Anyway after waiting 30 minutes they said that plane will need to be fixed and it will take 4 hours. Ok it happens I guess, but we still werent allowed to leave the plane (had no condition), because they didnt manage to get buses to the plane. After spending smth like 2 hours in the plane at last we got ouf it and later on the flight was cancelled.

After spending few hours in hotel we were brought back to airport and at last landed in Prague. From that time it seemed that canceled flight and finding new tickets for other flights was our problem. In Prague's Transfer Desk they were really not willing to help though it was their responsibility to take care of everythign they messed up. We got tickets to Vilnius only on other day, so in the end our trip back home lasted 54 hours.

Czech Airlines suck, what about others? :)

Juan Carlos Nadal
08-01-2006, 11:24 AM
CSA: I have had a few rough experiences with Czech airlines too (lost luggage, delays) but I can't really hold it against them because they are cheaper than their competitors. I also like them cuz I get the chance of a daytrip to lovely Prague when my connecting flight is not until 6-7 hours after my arrival at Ruzyne Airport (which usually is).
WizzAir: Really annoying absece of a seat allocation policy. They don’t even give priority numbers so entering the plane reminded me of the old days at the school bus when we were kicking each other for who was going to get the seats at the back…. Otherwise a fine service for a 40 (tax incl.) London-Sofia return trip.
Ryanair: Surprisingly I only used them once and it was for a short trip (Edinburgh-Dublin) so I cannot comment too much about them. No major complains other than the annoying Donegal accent of the pilot.
Easy Jet: Their prices have gone up lately I feel. Never had any problems with them.
British Airways: You get what you pay they say, and BA is no exception. New aircraft, fairly (but not always) punctual, and reasonable service. The fact that their food is mingin’ comes as no surprise, being british.
Lufthansa (and Augsburg): It has been a long time and I can’t remember much. Pretty standard and decent service.
Swissair (and Crossair): Top-notch airline. No complains.
Olympic: A delay is a must but it’s the only airline where the food actually made me feel satiated.
Aegean: Great food once more. Fairly punctual.
KLM (and Transavia): Only flew once with them and they lost my luggage.:mad: Can’t blame them though as it was two days after 9/11 and there was a chaos at Schipol, plus my two connecting flights were too close to each other and there wasn’t enough time for the luggage to be transferred. They delivered the stuff 4 days later…
Air France: Really annoying refund policy (but what airline doesn’t have one?). Love the cheese selection on board :D. I once bought a ticket (Sofia-Edinburgh) that included an overnight stay at a Paris hotel for the return leg, which I thought was cool.
Fly BE: Small planes, silly luggage policies, great prices.
NovAir: Lllllllovely swedish stewardesses, nice aircrafts, and functional video displays with flight info even for short flights.

Trifilli
08-01-2006, 11:27 AM
so in the end our trip back home lasted 54 hours.

Ouch, that's bad :eek:

Here some personal experiences I had with Airlines (only lines I used more than once, no charter, no cheap airlines like Ryanair):

KLM: Although the Airline itself is really nice and the service is good I had some bad luck with the KLM. Once I had to wait 9 hours for my plane in Amsterdam, not getting a lot of information and only once in those 9 hours I received something to drink (had to buy the other stuff myself at the Airport), one could also not go to the city as nobody said how long it would take. Another time my flight from Amsterdam to Nairobi was overbooked, something that forced me to stay a night in Amsterdam and Nairobi (as I also missed my transfer there). Got a nice compensation though, they payed for a top hotel in both cities (including the drinks ;)) and offered either 600 DM (~300) cash or 1200 DM worth travel tickets from KLM ;)

Al Italia: Same bad luck as with KLM only without the compensation. Overbooking flights seem to be a habit there, I already spent more than a night in Milano (with my luggage already on the way to another city). Only got a hotel far from the airport there, with dinner included (no more than 1 plate and 1 bottle of water though). One day they wouldn't even tell me which is the correct bus to the airport (there was a bus picking us up from the hotel without signs) and I almost ended up on the way to the wrong airport, terrible.

Air Canada: Best Airline I flew with so far, nice people, very good service, everything as it should be. I had no bad experiences with them at all.

Olympic Airways: Decent Airline for flights to Greece, always delayed (that's a habit as well :p) but overall ok, not too expensive compared to other Airlines flying from Germany to Greece (direct flights). For inner-greek flights (especially on the islands) you might face a surprise when entering the plane from time to time :p

Lufthansa: Pretty similar to Olympic Airways, without being always delayed though, more expensive on the other hand. Nothing spectacular but the Airline is ok, especially for short flights. Service and food once used to be much better than Olympic Airways but these things changed, it's the other way around now.

Aegean Airlines: Imo better than Olympic Airways for inner-greek flights, they have the bad habit of changing direct flights to non-direct flights on their International routes from time to time though, without giving you a warning (you usually end up in Saloniki then on your way to another european city, especially Frankfurt :rolleyes: )

Delta Airlines: Ok Airline, nothing spectacular but not bad either, they have a decent service as well. What I hated though was being asked for like 2 hours if there's the possibility that I'm a terrorist and if I would be so kind telling them if I carry a bomb in my luggage (all passengers have to answer such questions before entering the plane...).

Juan Carlos Nadal
08-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Delta Airlines: Ok Airline, nothing spectacular but not bad either, they have a decent service as well. What I hated though was being asked for like 2 hours if there's the possibility that I'm a terrorist and if I would be so kind telling them if I carry a bomb in my luggage (all passengers have to answer such questions before entering the plane...).

Ouch, I am flying with them in October, I suppose I should prepare myself for the interrogation...

I also forgot AirScotland :D which uses probably the oldest aircraft around... I had the misfortune of having an obese guy sitting in front of me.. or should I say .. on top of me, given that his seat was reclining more than it should (broken?). 5 of the most torturous hours of my life...

Trifilli
08-01-2006, 12:04 PM
Ouch, I am flying with them in October, I suppose I should prepare myself for the interrogation...

Lol, yeah, you should indeed expect to be arrested, you evil terrorist :D

I also forgot AirScotland :D which uses probably the oldest aircraft around... I had the misfortune of having an obese guy sitting in front of me.. or should I say .. on top of me, given that his seat was reclining more than it should (broken?). 5 of the most torturous hours of my life...

AirScotland? Didn't even know that they exist :p When I went to Scotland I flew with KLM (that time without problems), the only downside was that I had to do the trip Frankfurt-London-Edinburgh, but it was much cheaper than BA back then :p

adebisi
08-01-2006, 12:07 PM
Air TAP Portugal:
The worst service in a whole world :mad: I was flying with them about 6 times and all of them was a big big disappoitment. BTW the food is awful too :(

Juan Carlos Nadal
08-01-2006, 12:43 PM
Air TAP Portugal:
The worst service in a whole world :mad: I was flying with them about 6 times and all of them was a big big disappoitment. BTW the food is awful too :(

So how come you've been to Portugal so many times? Are you a Rytas fan? :D

(OK, I know, bad joke :o )

I heard that they went bankrupt some time ago. Maybe that's why they have lowered their standard of service.

adebisi
08-01-2006, 01:05 PM
So how come you've been to Portugal so many times? Are you a Rytas fan? :D .
I am a FC Porto fan :p

adebisi
08-01-2006, 01:47 PM
I'm that guy in green jacket ;)

Levenspiel
08-01-2006, 02:02 PM
I only used Turkish Airlines (I'm a nationalist fanatic, you know :p - I had no alternative), 5 times in total. So no comparisions. Maybe I can compare to busses because one of my domestic flights took about the same duration as the ordinary busses would.

Food was good and enough in my journeys to Germany and back, and service was alright. The planes were modern, too. But I know not all of them are so. And, prices.. I guess it's expensive when compared to other small Turkish airlines, and it was expensive than Lufthansa (Anyway, I didn't pay for the tickets).

Phantim3dx
08-01-2006, 02:40 PM
triffilli DELTA AIRLINES asked you such questions?!?!?1 when did this happen it never happened for me!

anyways, im a bit surprised of what you guys have stated about british airways, so i might have to experience it myself someday.

All the airlines I have flown have all been coach class since I can’t afford anything else :-D

as an aviation major i have a general udnerstandingt hat when flying in turbulent air, you should kick down the thrust down a bit otherwise you gmiht do some structural damage to the plane eventually. so i am rating also the pilots and their fighter pilot glee in flying the bumpy skies @ times on whether they kept going faster or faster or actually lowered the thrust on the plane and took it easy for the comfort of passengers.

American Airlines: Nothing special, actually I can’t really say anything good or bad about them.

Delta Airlines: A few delays and way too many overbooked tickets, but hey it worked out for me I have accrued well over 700 dollars in voucher tickets, hehehe. Pilots are good and flew that Boeing 777 like it was a Cadillac of the skies, nothing rash or too Top Gun style. oh they let me eat as much as I wanted on that international flight, even almost bumped me to business class while we were in the air, so attendants were definitely the best in terms of what the western world airlines had to offer in comparison to the easter world airlines like singapore air, etc

Korean Airlines: Food was good! Attendants were quite nice, except the one in charge of my area was kind of a bitch..When I was coming back to America from my trip to Japan and we had to fill those documents of entering the u.s. she gave me the damn visa worker documents or whatever its called until I corrected her and told her I was a u.s. citizen....okay story to this was being in a plane I like to dress comfy so I had like your typical surf shorts on with just a regular t shirt and a backpack @ the bottom of my seat. Now although she didn’t say it I know she was judging me on how I dressed because others were given the mistaken documents for U.S. citizens. Not to mention when I was filled out the CORRECT documents she said "I want my pen back" well Korean Airlines won't get my service anytime soon, but I was respectful and I even searched the damn plane for that stupid attendant so I could give her the pen. Oh the pilots on Korean Air seemed to like the thrust the Boeing 777 produces cuz they kept that baby flying high and fast even thru turbulence.

Cathay Pacific: Hands down the best airline I have ever flown internationally. Talk about service, and the flight attendants were very courteous (sp?) and non judgmental and also fine to look @. Usually I flew in an Airbus 340 with this company sometimes a 747, although ive also been in an Airbus 330. All great planes. Free toothpaste and toothbrush (and we aren’t talking like those collapsible and those small tubes of toothpaste either), free lanyard, free mini pouch to hold your junk you want to put into, free socks, free pen (they were nice ones, not regular ballpoint bic pens that are like 12 pens for 3 dollars), oh unlimited Carlsberg and Heineken beer! Just the best airline I have flown nothing else compares to it.

Philippine Airlines: What can I say...my very first plane ride @ 8 years old and one of the damn engines decide to go quits when we are about to hit cruise altitude.... traumatizing experience and I really don’t want to fly this airline ever again...ive been told they’ve done major renovations and bulked up their security and maintenance over the years...um I’m still not flyin it

American Airways: In all the flights (with Korean Air coming close to 2nd on the fighter pilot mentality), this has got to be the most daring of them all with pilots not caring about turbulence or anything and riding the bumpy skies with glee... I am under assumption these pilots probably were former fighter pilots for the naval aviator program and just miss the feel of bumps in the air. Seats were a bit cramped also

KLM/Northwest Airlines: Nothing special just had a bad recollection of delays or cramped seats, but it got me to my destination with no problem...

I know ive flown in a few more but cant think of their names. Ill add on later?

Has anyone flown with airlines such as Singapore Airlines, Fly Emirates, Japan Airlines, Air Nippon Airways, Air France, Lufthansa if so what did you guys think of it? ive always wanted to fly in one of these airlines?

Juan Carlos Nadal
08-01-2006, 03:43 PM
AirScotland? Didn't even know that they exist :p

They are not very well known. In fact they are a low-cost airline with a very limited network of destinations. As far as I know they only got 2 planes :D I think there is a thought of changing their name soon to TopJetAir. Its owner is an Iraqi guy who wanted his comapny to be the first to connect the UK directly with Baghdad. I don't know what happened of his plans...

stuart
08-01-2006, 04:48 PM
I think Trif was asked the "Has your luggage been with you the entire time" and the "Has anyone asked you to carry luggage for them" I remember a couple years ago, every airline I checked luggage into asked those same questions, but lately I haven't checked any luggage so don't know if thats still a requirement.

Anyways...

Predominantly, I use Southwest Airlines (15-20) domestically because I love them. I haven't had any really bad experiences with them (well nothing within their control, I just hate flights that are 3 hours+). The only knock on them is that they don't serve food on long-ish flights, but thats to be expected from a low-cost carrier. Their rewards program is #1 in my book and their staff is only second to Cathay Pacific.

Cathay Pacific (3-4) - I've flew with them several times and I dare say their one of the best. I recall.

Northwest Airlines (3-5) - Can't complain, and above average servive. Lots of leg room and friendly staff

United Airlines (5-7) - Unlike Southwest, Cathay and Northwest, I don't get a feel for what United Airlines is trying to portray. It's just very sterile when you fly with them. I guess its tough to pin down a overall personality when you get that large. Even so, an above average carrier - I've gotten some good deals on flights with United and their staff has been friendly.

American Airlines (5-7) - I get a bad taste in my mouth from American Airlines... I've had bad service there twice, but its more about how old the planes feel and the seats aren't that comfortable if I recall correctly.

Delta (2-4) - Average airline, no bad experiences, no great ones. I do recall being on a couple flights where I got all three seats to myself... thats if I am remembering correctly.

Continental Airlines (4-5) - Similiar to American, I just remember the planes being archaic... they just felt old. I remember the seating being small and uncomfortable. Otherwise, pretty average fare,

Iberia (1) - I only flew with them once, so I can't say this with much experience but I found their service to be terrible. I am not by any means high maintenance, but even for my basic needs, I felt they couldn't meet those standards.

RyanAir (1) - For the money, it was well-worth the stampede at the check-in, the weight-limit for luggage, and the out-of-the-way airports.

I am sure I am missing several airlines but I don't remember enough to comment - Quantas, Air France, Air Canada and others...

Stuart

Phantim3dx
08-01-2006, 06:19 PM
heck ya stuart supports me on the cathay pacific airlines. whered you go with cathay pacific stuart?

Trifilli
08-01-2006, 08:51 PM
I think Trif was asked the "Has your luggage been with you the entire time" and the "Has anyone asked you to carry luggage for them" I remember a couple years ago, every airline I checked luggage into asked those same questions, but lately I haven't checked any luggage so don't know if thats still a requirement.

Nah, I was really serious (I know that it's hard to believe :p). The questions you mentioned were pretty common for some time at every airline before international flights. Flying with Delta I was asked this stuff as well - but also the questions I mentioned. I flew two times with Delta (to Greece and to the States) and both times there were desks in front of the check-in were I was asked the questions and then later again desks before the entry of the bus that would bring the passengers to the plane. And they really asked me (and the other passengers of course) stuff like if I carry a bomb in my luggage among other questions and so on. I was really confused and first thought that they were joking but they were dead serious :p

ArkadiosV2
10-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Olympic Airlines:

Hardly reliable, always delaying, even for more than 24 hours. How many scenes of utter madness and despair by Olympic Airways i have seen in AIA i can't even remember.

Aegean Airlines:

Very decent prices. Good website with easy steps of buying a ticket online. Almost always on time. Very good food and new Airbus planes instead of old Boeings. Very satisfied.

Cyprus Airways:

EXPENSIVE. And since they merged their flights with Olympic always delaying. They sometimes even change the flight hour and don't even bother to inform you. Or your booking might get lost in optical fibres somewhere over Mediterreanian Sea. Once fined me 55 Euros for losing my ticket. STAY AWAY.

Helios:

Pure tragedy. Literally. I flew with the plane that crashed over Athens two years ago. It was old, unstable, smelly and they didn't even bother to bring my luggage and i got them the next day.

PS: After the crash the scums changed the name from Helios to AJET and focused on flights in UK but did not change its irresponsible policy and became the first EU-based airline reprimanded under the EU's new air safety system.

Czech Airlines:

Everything normal. Nice stewardesses.

EgyptAir:

Can't remember much, but everything seemed normal.

Jan van Grabski
11-23-2007, 01:12 PM
Does anyone have any experience with Jet Airways ? That's Indian Company...I am about to book tickets, but there is some hesitation in my head.

ArkadiosV2
11-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Going to New York?

Jan van Grabski
11-23-2007, 01:38 PM
Going to New York?

Well yes :D i am very predictable, i know....:p

ArkadiosV2
12-15-2007, 10:36 AM
NaF, check out Jet Airways :)

XxtyisoNBaI

Jan van Grabski
12-15-2007, 11:34 AM

XxtyisoNBaI

the guy is psycho, these kind of things can occur independent of airlines....but then again it depends how staff handles and reacts to the situation. i have witnessed myself similar situations, one was just a year after 9/11, i was flying from NY, the guy started to act strangely.....and i have to admit i was about to freak out myself.

Joko Poljak Fan
12-15-2007, 11:57 AM

XxtyisoNBaI
if I were on the plane he'd be right on point :D
...imagine this starting right after takeoff, knowing he mostlikely won't stop for the next 10 hours :rolleyes:

Juan Carlos Nadal
01-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Last month I had the opportunity to fly with 3 airlines I hadn’t flown with before, so here are my impressions.

American Airlines: Lack of space. Man, did I suffer. It wasn’t my first time on a 767, but I swear the room on the AA 767s is less than normal. And if you are unlucky enough for the guy in front of you to recline his seat, then prepare yourself for a painful 9 hours. Food was not enough for a long haul flight. Otherwise, they are pretty OK.

TAROM (Romanian Air Transport): I was very pleasantly surprised with them. Fairly punctual, nice meals, clean aircraft. I also had to stay overnight in Bucharest airport and I was surprised at how tidy and comfortable it was. Too bad they rip people off by selling a small bottle of water for 3 Euros! Staff was also friendly. There was a mess-up with my luggage and one of them took care of my case personally and re-checked my luggage without me having to do anything. The only bad thing was that when we arrived in Bucharest airport, it took the company 20 mins to send a bus to take us to the terminal, despite (or maybe because of?) the little traffic at that time.

Alitalia: Oh boy. What can I possibly say? It is no wonder that it is universally accepted that they are one of the worse airlines around. I had been warned to avoid them but I thought that these were exaggerations. First they cancel my flight. Then they ask me to collect my luggage in order to re-check it in, but it never shows up. It takes them 3 hours to find the luggage, and this only after repetitive requests of mine. Ground stuff arguing with each other in front of me about whose responsibility it is to find my luggage. Half their employees didn’t even speak decent English. Their aircraft was old, dirty and dusty. I will try to never fly with them again.

Jan van Grabski
01-11-2008, 10:18 PM
American Airlines: Lack of space. Man, did I suffer. It wasn’t my first time on a 767, but I swear the room on the AA 767s is less than normal. And if you are unlucky enough for the guy in front of you to recline his seat, then prepare yourself for a painful 9 hours. Food was not enough for a long haul flight. Otherwise, they are pretty OK.

Oh man, that's my favorite airlines in the category "what could go wrong during the flight". :D I had about 12 flights with them, during 11 of them there was something unpleasant: delays, lousy attendees, emergency landing, overbooking, damaged luggage, lost luggage, waiting in the airplane AFTER the landing for 3 hours someone to open the gate (i dont mind to wait, but it is a bit difficult from 2 AM until 5 AM), i dont even mention the food and sensational landing on the ice....Unforgivable experience. But maybe that's not their problem, i very rarely have flights when nothing goes wrong. Some of my friends refuse to fly together with me saying that i simply jinx everything around me :D

anyways, during my vacations i had he opportunity to fly for he first time with:

JetAirways: (Indian company) i have to say that i was pleasantly surprised, maybe because i feared the worst. First of all new and tidy Boeing 777. i have never seen so many beautiful attendees in one place in my life, also very good and quick service. Then INDIAN FOOD, good quality. Bollywood movies, lots of them, lol :D and there was no delays....except on the trip back and after the landing there was something wrong with the boarding bridge, so we had to wait for some time....they couldnt fix it, so we had to get out using the steps (but that's airport's administration problem, it has nothing to do with the airline).

scoli
08-15-2008, 01:04 AM
Talking about Airlines. 2003, I fly with Cathay Pacific from New York to Vancouver, then to Hongkong it was nice plenty of food for 12 hours and 45 minutes flight
all flight attendants are very nice. The worse Airlines are Delta and Northwest. We are on Detroit run way for an hour, then we turn around and back to the tarmac then, we've been waiting for another hour or so. Then we get off from the airplane waiting for the annoucement what terminal, is the next flight going to the eastcost, and it said terminal 71B , and change to terminal A3. It's getting late it was 11:30PM and we have no dinner, were hungry, were thirsty and we don't get any information what time for the next flight? Ended we all sleep in the Detroit airport until the next day. We don't get any help from any airline employee, at all. Six months after, the northwest has filed a bankruptcy which is sounds good to me. Since then, never fly with northwest airlines. This was happened 2004.

2005, I fly with Japan airlines good service and we had enough food for the 13hours flight, from Chicago to Tokyo. 2006 I fly with Delta from Virginia to New York. They were delayed for one hour and no apology has been mentioned, plus the ugly nasty flight attendant. On my way back home, all domestic flight has been canceled with out any announcement, the international flight has been delayed for hours and hours. It took us 3 hours or so, waiting for our luggage to pick up. Me and my fellow travelers ended to take an Amtrack intead of flying. Later, they filed a chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

This past June, I fly with American Airlines from Virginia to Fort Worth, Texas. Its a morning flight they served us a drink, but we have to purchased for a breakfast ($4.00 ). Texas, to Japan. It wasn't that bad, but the food it was not enough for a 13 hours flight. For a dinner, one dinner role with 1 slice of cheese and 1 slice of lunch meat. Breakfast 2 croissant bread with a jelly or jam or butter, 1 slice of slamy kiwi, 1 slice of pine apple and a day old mandarin orange in can ( just a portion of it ), and a 6 oz orange juice.

All domestic flights they don't serve breakfast, lunch or dinner anymore unless you have to purchase it.

The good Airlines are, Japan Airlines, (ANA) An Nippon Airline, Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines, Philippine Airlines, Luftansa, Canada Airlines, British Air. United Arab Emirates. I recommend to bring your own food when you fly, you never get hungry. Also, try not to fly with a small airplane, because they don't have a lavatory. It happened to me from Baltimore to New York. When we landed in La Guardia, New York. I have to run and looking for a bath room. Its that terrible?

Khalid80
08-25-2008, 05:31 PM
The airlines that I remember flying with are:

MEA: I don't want to say this cuz i'm from Lebanon but our airlines are quite descent (good service, very friendly stewardesses (some are quite hot ;) ), food is good). The only thing that bothers me are the other Lebanese passengers who keep on complaining just for the sake of complaining (True incident of a guy I overheard: U only have chicken or beef. Don't u have any shrimps :o ). Of course you can't compare MEA to Qatar Airways or Emirates Airlines since they're both ranked in the top 10 airlines in the world. Downside: Tickets are expensive.

Emirates Airlines: Probably one of the best airlines in the world. I never got to try their Boeing 777 but they got the whole package especially if u want to talk about the entertainment sector (I flew with them a few years, so i'm sure their services are even much better now).

British Airways: Service is good if ur a drinker :) . The bloody marys that the stewardess served me were quite nice. Of course out of all the people the guy next to me turned out to be Scottish and he was drinking like a fish and I couldn't understand one word coming out of his mouth :D . Food though wasn't the best (no duh since I never really had a good meal when I lived in England).

Olympic: Descent airlines. The ticket prices where really good (That was in the late 90's). Food was good (I like feta cheese :) )

Alitalia: Really hot stewardesses. Service is good as well as the food.

KLM: Very nice. Everything was great (can't remember details since that was in 1988).

Iberia: Weather was horrible and we had quite a bumpy ride right after take off. We were on our way from Barcelona to Los Angeles so the flight was very tiring as well. As for the airlines I don't remember anything specifically bad (That was back in 1991).

Cyprus Airways: The flight from Beirut, Lebanon to Larnaca, Cypus is 25 minutes and even though i've been to Cyprus like 5 times I used to consider the flight as a cruise. They even barely had enough time to serve us juice.

Swiss Air: Can't remember anything except that the stewardess gave me one of those big toblerones :D (that was way back in 1985)

AeroFlot: I don't believe that I actually flew on a Russian Airline (Also way back in 1982, i was still a toddler back then).

Tunis Air: The food was a bit spicy and had eggs (I prefer not to eat eggs on a plane :) ). Sevice was ok. Overall: Nothing special.

Oman Air: Probably the worst airline i've ever been with (maybe cuz it was very recent). Bad service, small seats, and food sucks. I went with them cuz that was the only airline that my company could find for me to Dubai (all other airlines were fully booked) as I had to attend a seminar for 1 week (That was last year, 2007).

robbe
08-25-2008, 05:43 PM
Emirates Airlines: Probably one of the best airlines in the world. I never got to try their Boeing 777 but they got the whole package especially if u want to talk about the entertainment sector (I flew with them a few years, so i'm sure their services are even much better now).
Took them from and two China, nothing to complain about. A340 is comfortable anyway, good - as you say - entertainment sector, really good airline.

damelo
08-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Ryanair had a problem today on a flight from Paris I think to Spain,
plane lost pressure inside and lost 8500m in 5 minutes. It landed in Limoges 26 people are in hospital for ears problems.

One more plane problem in Europe in the recent days. Not big one, but, still...

ricodgame
10-26-2008, 04:52 PM
Saudia Airlines.. well our aircraft is not one of the best, but our agents, especially in Manila are great..

Juan Carlos Nadal
12-12-2008, 04:00 AM
CSA: I have had a few rough experiences with Czech airlines too (lost luggage, delays) but I can't really hold it against them because they are cheaper than their competitors. I also like them cuz I get the chance of a daytrip to lovely Prague when my connecting flight is not until 6-7 hours after my arrival at Ruzyne Airport (which usually is).
WizzAir: Really annoying absece of a seat allocation policy. They don’t even give priority numbers so entering the plane reminded me of the old days at the school bus when we were kicking each other for who was going to get the seats at the back…. Otherwise a fine service for a 40 (tax incl.) London-Sofia return trip.
Ryanair: Surprisingly I only used them once and it was for a short trip (Edinburgh-Dublin) so I cannot comment too much about them. No major complains other than the annoying Donegal accent of the pilot.
Easy Jet: Their prices have gone up lately I feel. Never had any problems with them.
British Airways: You get what you pay they say, and BA is no exception. New aircraft, fairly (but not always) punctual, and reasonable service. The fact that their food is mingin’ comes as no surprise, being british.
Lufthansa (and Augsburg): It has been a long time and I can’t remember much. Pretty standard and decent service.
Swissair (and Crossair): Top-notch airline. No complains.
Olympic: A delay is a must but it’s the only airline where the food actually made me feel satiated.
Aegean: Great food once more. Fairly punctual.
KLM (and Transavia): Only flew once with them and they lost my luggage.:mad: Can’t blame them though as it was two days after 9/11 and there was a chaos at Schipol, plus my two connecting flights were too close to each other and there wasn’t enough time for the luggage to be transferred. They delivered the stuff 4 days later…
Air France: Really annoying refund policy (but what airline doesn’t have one?). Love the cheese selection on board :D. I once bought a ticket (Sofia-Edinburgh) that included an overnight stay at a Paris hotel for the return leg, which I thought was cool.
Fly BE: Small planes, silly luggage policies, great prices.
NovAir: Lllllllovely swedish stewardesses, nice aircrafts, and functional video displays with flight info even for short flights.
TAROM (Romanian Air Transport): I was very pleasantly surprised with them. Fairly punctual, nice meals, clean aircraft. I also had to stay overnight in Bucharest airport and I was surprised at how tidy and comfortable it was. Too bad they rip people off by selling a small bottle of water for 3 Euros! Staff was also friendly. There was a mess-up with my luggage and one of them took care of my case personally and re-checked my luggage without me having to do anything. The only bad thing was that when we arrived in Bucharest airport, it took the company 20 mins to send a bus to take us to the terminal, despite (or maybe because of?) the little traffic at that time.
Alitalia: Oh boy. What can I possibly say? It is no wonder that it is universally accepted that they are one of the worse airlines around. I had been warned to avoid them but I thought that these were exaggerations. First they cancel my flight. Then they ask me to collect my luggage in order to re-check it in, but it never shows up. It takes them 3 hours to find the luggage, and this only after repetitive requests of mine. Ground stuff arguing with each other in front of me about whose responsibility it is to find my luggage. Half their employees didn’t even speak decent English. Their aircraft was old, dirty and dusty. I will try to never fly with them again.

A few more airlines to add to my list.

US Airways: One of the few airlines where you have to purchase even your drinks. An OK service otherwise. I have used them for short services only though. I don't know how their long-haul product looks like.
American Airlines: I have used them mainly for long-haul flights and they have been pretty good.
Northwest: They have been quite punctual and very generous with their drink service. The seat pitch on their 757 is plain hideous though. Seat pitch in their Embraer is pretty good.
United Airlines: Only used them on one occasion and they have been OK.
Alaska Airlines: Very friendly crew and interesting Alaska-themed aircraft interior. A bit annoying that you can't use cash for any food purchases. Pretty impressive hub at Seattle.

Khalid80
12-12-2008, 08:33 AM
A few more airlines to add to my list.

Alaska Airlines: Very friendly crew and interesting Alaska-themed aircraft interior. A bit annoying that you can't use cash for any food purchases. Pretty impressive hub at Seattle.

Alaska have their own airlines :eek: !!! Cool shit!
Did u get to go to Anchorage? Or meet any of the Inuits?

Juan Carlos Nadal
12-12-2008, 07:07 PM

Actually Alaska Airlines is one of the major players on the West Coast. They have a fleet of more than 100 aircraft (150+ if you include those of their regional sister company Horizon) and despite representing Alaska, their main hub is at Seattle, with secondary hubs in Anchorage, Portland and LA.

Quite ironically I did not use them to fly to Alaska but to Hawaii instead :D

Khalid80
12-13-2008, 07:50 AM
Actually Alaska Airlines is one of the major players on the West Coast. They have a fleet of more than 100 aircraft (150+ if you include those of their regional sister company Horizon) and despite representing Alaska, their main hub is at Seattle, with secondary hubs in Anchorage, Portland and LA.

Quite ironically I did not use them to fly to Alaska but to Hawaii instead :D

Thanks for the info JCN.
It's interesting to know that the Alaskan Airlines have that big of a fleet.
Do u know whom they're owned or sponsered by? I mean r they a private airline or r they owned by the state of Alaska?

Juan Carlos Nadal
12-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the info JCN.
It's interesting to know that the Alaskan Airlines have that big of a fleet.
Do u know whom they're owned or sponsered by? I mean r they a private airline or r they owned by the state of Alaska?

My pleasure Khalid. I am a civil aviation nerd (as much as I am a basketball one) so I love talking about airlines and airliners. The company is 100% private as most US carriers. I am not aware of who is their biggest shareholder though.

Much of their success is due to the fact that they only use one type of aircraft (Boeing 737) just like Southwest, albeit in different variations, which allows for a reduced cost in maintainance, which is further supported by their proximity to the Boeing HQs in Seattle.

I would use them again if I had the chance. One of their aircraft is painted in the form of a salmon (http://www.cloverpassresort.com/blog/uploads/fishAC.jpg) so I would need to try and fly in that beauty :D

Khalid80
12-14-2008, 06:27 PM
My pleasure Khalid. I am a civil aviation nerd (as much as I am a basketball one) so I love talking about airlines and airliners. The company is 100% private as most US carriers. I am not aware of who is their biggest shareholder though.

Much of their success is due to the fact that they only use one type of aircraft (Boeing 737) just like Southwest, albeit in different variations, which allows for a reduced cost in maintainance, which is further supported by their proximity to the Boeing HQs in Seattle.

I would use them again if I had the chance. One of their aircraft is painted in the form of a salmon (http://www.cloverpassresort.com/blog/uploads/fishAC.jpg) so I would need to try and fly in that beauty :D

That's great to know. I would love to get the chance to try their "salmon" aircraft as well as have their salmon meal as well :D

I found these links about them in case ur interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Airlines
http://www.alaskaair.com/

LFGC79
05-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Ryanair had a problem today on a flight from Paris I think to Spain,
plane lost pressure inside and lost 8500m in 5 minutes. It landed in Limoges 26 people are in hospital for ears problems.

One more plane problem in Europe in the recent days. Not big one, but, still...

that is the worst nightmare.

the other day we fell 100 feet the other day and felt horrendous, the attendant was walking on the isle and hit the roof of the aircraft twice. I cant imagine 8500m.:eek:

JGX
05-26-2009, 02:06 AM
So what are the most expensive destinations you could possibly fly to from your local airport?

From Washington (IAD/DCA/BWI), searching flights from July 16-August 16:

To Asmara, Eritrea: $3,871 (stops in London and Cairo on the way there, Cairo and NYC on the way back). Also a $3,882 flight stopping in Frankfurt and Jeddah.

To Lubumbashi, DR Congo: $3,999 (stops in Amsterdam and Nairobi on the way there, and then an epic trip through Harare, Nairobi, Dakar, and Atlanta on the return). For $4,040 you can cut the return leg to two stops.

To Morono, Comoros: $4,923, through Atlanta, Dakar, Nairobi, and Mayotte(!) on the way there, and skipping Mayotte om the way back.

To Kisangani, DR Congo: $5,175 despite a simple trip through Amsterdam and Nairobi. Well, simple unless you object to a 14-hour layover in Nairobi. And the flight from Nairobi to Kisangani is "subject to governmental approval".

Dtown
05-31-2009, 07:29 AM
I don't travel too often due to budget constraints but Delta adding wifi to many of their planes has been a blessing, and long overdue I might add. Nothing makes a flight shorter than full on fast internet access. My last trip back to Detroit I was almost disappointed we were getting ready to land.

The $10 per flight is annoying, but I rationalized with myself that if I avoid buying airport food it all balances out in the end and I don't regret it nearly as much later.

Delibasic
05-31-2009, 12:27 PM
my choice is garuda indonesia (not). stay away from garuda people

J-Mart
05-31-2009, 12:41 PM
my flight time is limited but my best experience have been by far JetBlue!!

Blackie
05-31-2009, 10:38 PM

I was in Alaska a couple of times. Last time there, they had this huge stuffed polar bear in the terminal. Must have sat there looking at the damn thing for a good hour while waiting for my flight.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1153858492026879588XLLJTP

eliooo93
06-01-2009, 02:34 AM
I've tried alot of companies but qatar airways has been the best so far.

Khalid80
06-01-2009, 09:17 AM
I've tried alot of companies but qatar airways has been the best so far.

I've heard that Qatar airlines is really great but I've never had the chance to try their airlines.
Do u think they're as good or better than Emirates airlines?

eliooo93
06-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Do u think they're as good or better than Emirates airlines?

I think qatar is better. for a reason or another i dont really like emirates airlines

eliooo93
06-05-2009, 03:40 AM
is royal jordanian good? i have a 12 hour flight with them next month:p

Khalid80
09-23-2009, 10:22 PM
The airlines that I remember flying with are:

MEA: I don't want to say this cuz i'm from Lebanon but our airlines are quite descent (good service, very friendly stewardesses (some are quite hot ;) ), food is good). The only thing that bothers me are the other Lebanese passengers who keep on complaining just for the sake of complaining (True incident of a guy I overheard: U only have chicken or beef. Don't u have any shrimps :o ). Of course you can't compare MEA to Qatar Airways or Emirates Airlines since they're both ranked in the top 10 airlines in the world. Downside: Tickets are expensive.

British Airways: Service is good if ur a drinker :) . The bloody marys that the stewardess served me were quite nice. Of course out of all the people the guy next to me turned out to be Scottish and he was drinking like a fish and I couldn't understand one word coming out of his mouth :D . Food though wasn't the best (no duh since I never really had a good meal when I lived in England).

Olympic: Descent airlines. The ticket prices where really good (That was in the late 90's). Food was good (I like feta cheese :) )

Alitalia: Really hot stewardesses. Service is good as well as the food.

KLM: Very nice. Everything was great (can't remember details since that was in 1988).

Iberia: Weather was horrible and we had quite a bumpy ride right after take off. We were on our way from Barcelona to Los Angeles so the flight was very tiring as well. As for the airlines I don't remember anything specifically bad (That was back in 1991).

Cyprus Airways: The flight from Beirut, Lebanon to Larnaca, Cypus is 25 minutes and even though i've been to Cyprus like 5 times I used to consider the flight as a cruise. They even barely had enough time to serve us juice.

Swiss Air: Can't remember anything except that the stewardess gave me one of those big toblerones :D (that was way back in 1985)

AeroFlot: I don't believe that I actually flew on a Russian Airline (Also way back in 1982, i was still a toddler back then).

Tunis Air: The food was a bit spicy and had eggs (I prefer not to eat eggs on a plane :) ). Sevice was ok. Overall: Nothing special.

Oman Air: Probably the worst airline i've ever been with (maybe cuz it was very recent). Bad service, small seats, and food sucks. I went with them cuz that was the only airline that my company could find for me to Dubai (all other airlines were fully booked) as I had to attend a seminar for 1 week (That was last year, 2007).

I just got back from Beirut to Abu Dhabi last night via Etihad Airlines (Airlines is based in Abu Dhabi, UAE) so here's my take on them.
Etihad Airlines:
Pros: Ticket price was very descent; New planes; Seats are comfortable; good spacing between the rows of seats; food is very nice; nice mixture of very friendly stewardesses ;) (languages spoken by cabin crew were Arabic, English, French, Russian :cool:, +Tagalog)
Cons: Entertainment system was very disappointing. Headphones were very crappy, shitty movie was being shown, and not all screens were functioning.

Overall though I was impressed with Etihad considering that there r still quite a new airline (they started their operations in 2004) so they still can continue improving.

By the way in the new ranking of airlines MEA (unlike our Lebanese bball NT) is now ranked 16th worldwide and we have managed to make awesome profits for this year (2008-2009) :D

BBallfanJ
09-26-2009, 10:48 PM
I've basically flown 2 airlines in my life: Air Canada and Westjet. Oh, I did fly Pacific Western before they became Canadian and I think subsequently taken over by Air Canada.
Anyways, I'd say the best service was on Westjet. It's a no-frills airline, but they treat you good and are usually on time. Plus their prices are much better than AC's were. Although I think Air Canada has drastically reduced their fares.

Sometime I want to visit Seattle, so I'd be interested to see what Horizon Air has to offer.

ArkadiosV2
09-28-2009, 07:37 AM
Anyone used Blue Air? I find the combination of "budget" and "Romanian" somewhat dangerous for an airline. :rolleyes:

purple
09-29-2009, 12:06 PM
Lufthansa I flied to Lisbon via Munich by Lufthansa, I enjoyey the flight a lot, maybe because the pilots were always giving the current informations. as i was a bit nervous their talking made me relax. however it was really cold and asked for a blanket, but they said there was none so i kept freezing!

Aegean Airlines I flied from Athens to Alexandroupolis, and it was a bit small and smelly but it was a good and safe flight on time. the price is so good to be true.

Turkish Airlines I have flied few times usually to Istanbul then Athens. I didn't face any problems. the confort is great and for sure there are blankets :D well while i was returning from Athens to home, unfortunately i missed the plane! because nobody mentioned before the traffic jam in the morning.. i still don't know what were so many people were doing at 6 am :)
anyway so I stucked at Venizelos airport for 8 hours so i do know very well about this airport, any question you may ask, just let me know :D
the amazing thing is that i saw Greek NT at the airport and had a small talk with Sofoklis and Papadopoulos of course taken a photo too :) our chat was quite funny so i skip that part :D

Juan Carlos Nadal
09-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Anyone used Blue Air? I find the combination of "budget" and "Romanian" somewhat dangerous for an airline. :rolleyes:

They are fairly decent (even by my, low, Bulgarian standards). They are at par with most other LoCo European carriers. If you are still considering them there should be no reason to choose some other LoCo over them.