Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubiratan & Kanela among the 16 Hall of Fame Finalists

INTERNATIONAL COMMITTEE FINALISTS

KANELA TOGO SOARES - Coach, is widely considered the greatest coach in South American basketball history. He coached the Brazilian national team from 1951 to 1971 and led Brazil to five medals in the World Championships including two gold (1959, 1963), two silver (1954, 1970) and one bronze (1967). Soares also managed a bronze medal at the 1960 Olympic Games as well as silver and bronze medals at the 1963 and 1959 Pan-Am Games respectively. His club record included leading teams to five South American championships (1958, 1960, 1961, 1963, 1971).

MACIEL UBIRATAN PEREIRA - Player, a native of Sao Paulo, Brazil, is widely considered one of the greatest players in South American basketball history. A member of three Brazilian Olympic teams, Ubiratan led his countrymen to the bronze medal at the 1964 Olympic Games. He was a relentless competitor and all-around player who only cared about winning and filling whatever need for any of his teams. Ubiratan also earned five South American championships (1963, 1968, 1971, 1973, 1977) and eleven titles in Paulista League of Brazil.
    Link

Great news for Brazilian basketball. Let's see if both of them get's in.

Hortência is the only Brazilian that's in the Hall of Fame.

Originally posted by ¹²³ View Post
    Hortência is the only Brazilian that's in the Hall of Fame.
    I don't know anything about Ubiratan and Kanela, but Brazil will soon have more "entries" than just Hortencia. Silva (once there is a weak year for women), Arcain (2012?), and Oscar (2011?) are going to be there too.
    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair View Post
      I don't know anything about Ubiratan and Kanela, but Brazil will soon have more "entries" than just Hortencia. Silva (once there is a weak year for women), Arcain (2012?), and Oscar (2011?) are going to be there too.
      Probably. Well noticed.

Comment

Probably. Well noticed.
        And, by the way, I've got a web page that I made many years ago about Oscar. It's the same old stuff that you'll find all over the web, but I wanted to do one myself because he is in my list of the best players of all time.
        "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Totally deserved, especially Kanela, as noted he's probably the best South American coach ever.
          Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
          Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair View Post
            And, by the way, I've got a web page that I made many years ago about Oscar. It's the same old stuff that you'll find all over the web, but I wanted to do one myself because he is in my list of the best players of all time.
            Great site. Nice info you got there. I have a suggestion, if you don't mind, maybe you could organize some Youtube links in your page, there is some nice videos all over the web and it would be nice to find them all in one place.

He is obviously a very big idol for me and any basket lover from Brazil. The guy is one of the greatest scorers of all time.

Comment

Great site. Nice info you got there. I have a suggestion, if you don't mind, maybe you could organize some Youtube links in your page, there is some nice videos all over the web and it would be nice to find them all in one place.
              Good idea. Maybe I'll ask Stuart (the site admin) if he could host it.
              He is obviously a very big idol for me and any basket lover from Brazil. The guy is one of the greatest scorers of all time.
              One of the greatest scorers of all time? Brother, he was the greatest scorer of all time. Oscar could shoot the ball like Annie Oakley could shoot a rifle. Nobody could put down more points than Oscar.

Comment

Comment

Well, it was great to have the brazilians as finalist but they weren't selected afterall.
                  DETROIT, MICHIGAN - April 6, 2009 - The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame is pleased to announce that Michael Jordan, David Robinson, Jerry Sloan, John Stockton, and C. Vivian Stringer have been named today as the Enshrinement Class of 2009.
                  Link

Comment

Well, it was great to have the brazilians as finalist but they weren't selected afterall.

Link
                    Is there still a chance for them to get in? I never understand how that works.

Comment

BRA/USA – Brazil’s Ubiratan, Dream Team’s Malone, Pippen headed to Hall

INDIANAPOLIS (Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame) - The late Maciel “Ubiratan” Pereira of Brazil is to be inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

The South American legend is among a star-studded 2010 class for Springfield that was announced on Monday in Indianapolis, where the NCAA Final was staged.

The 1.99m Ubiratan, an inductee in the 2009 class for the FIBA Hall of Fame, led Brazil to the gold medal at the 1963 FIBA World Championship and the following year fired Brazil to bronze at the Tokyo Olympics.

Ubiratan was a silver-medal winner at the 1970 FIBA World Championship in Yugoslavia and was the second-leading scorer at that event at 14.8 points per game.

Recipient of the FIBA Order of Merit in 1994, Ubiratan played for Clube Espéria (1961), Corinthians (1962-1969), Splugen Brau Venezia (Italy, 1970-1972), Trianon Clube (1972), Sírio (1973), Palmeiras (1974-1978) and São José dos Campos (1979-1982).

He passed away in 2002 at the age of 58.

Vladimir Kondrashin, who entered the FIBA Hall of Fame in 2007 as a coach, was among the 19 finalists for the Hall of Fame in Springfield but was not voted in.

He famously led the Soviet Union to gold at the 1972 Olympics in Munich and at the 1974 FIBA World Championship in Puerto Rico.

Kondrashin died at the age of 70 in 1999.

Two members of the USA Dream Team that took the world by storm in Barcelona, Karl Malone and Scottie Pippen, are among those headed to the Hall along with America's Cynthia Cooper - a 1988 Olympic winner and a two-time gold medalist at FIBA World Championships for Women.

Malone and Pippen were also gold medalists at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta.

Pippen was a teammate of Michael Jordan on the Chicago Bulls teams that won six NBA titles (1991-93, 1996-98).

Malone was a two-time NBA Most Valuable Player (1997, ’99) and a 14-time NBA All-Star for the Utah Jazz.

Other inductees include Los Angeles Lakers owner Jerry Buss (contributor), high school coaching great Bob Hurley Sr, Dennis Johnson, Gus Johnson and two celebrated teams: the 1960 USA Men’s Olympic team and the 1992 USA Basketball Dream Team.

Dennis Johnson, Gus Johnson and Ubiratan will be honored posthumously.

The enshrinement ceremony will be on August 13 at the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Massachusetts.

The FIBA Hall of Fame class of 2010 will be inducted on 12th September 2010 in Istanbul during the Final of the FIBA World Championship in Turkey.
                      Artificial Nature

Comment

BRA – Nunes hails the great Ubiratan; Colangelo salutes 2010 Sprinfield class

RIO DE JANEIRO (Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame) – Brazil are celebrating another major honor for the late Maciel “Ubiratan” Pereira with their legendary center now set to enter the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

The Hall of Fame announced on Monday that Ubiratan, one of the dominating players in the 1960s and ’70s, is in the 2010 class that will be enshrined on August 13 in Springfield, Massachusetts.

Ubiratan will be honored posthumously, along with American greats Dennis Johnson and Gus Johnson.

Making it to Springfield is yet another honor for Ubiratan, the inspiration of Brazil’s gold-medal winning run at the 1963 FIBA World Championship.

He entered the FIBA Hall of Fame last year.

“The extraordinary achievements of the eternal Ubiratan leave our basketball filled with joy and pride,” said Carlos Nunes, the president of the Brazil Basketball Confederation.

“Bira was an exemplary player, dedicated and brilliant, leaving his unforgettable mark on Brazilian and world basketball.

“Being in the Hall of Fame is a tribute to those who do absolutely so much for the sport.”

Ubiratan had no equals in the low post in South America.

In addition to the ’63 world title, the 1.99m star fired Brazil to bronze at the Tokyo Olympics the following year.

Ubiratan was a silver-medal winner at the 1970 FIBA World Championship in Yugoslavia and was the second-leading scorer at 14.8 points per game.

Recipient of the FIBA Order of Merit in 1994, Ubiratan played for Clube Espéria (1961), Corinthians (1962-1969), Splugen Brau Venezia (Italy, 1970-1972), Trianon Clube (1972), Sírio (1973), Palmeiras (1974-1978) and São José dos Campos (1979-1982).

He passed away in 2002 at the age of 58.

Ubiratan is a member of a glittering 2010 class.

Karl Malone and Scottie Pippen, two-time Olympic gold medalists for Team USA and members of their 1992 Dream Team, along with Olympic champion and two-time FIBA World Championship for Women gold-medalist Cynthia Cooper, Los Angeles Lakers owner Jerry Buss (contributor) and high school coaching great Bob Hurley Sr are the individuals heading to Springfield.

Two celebrated teams - the 1960 USA Men’s Olympic team and the 1992 USA Basketball Dream Team – are also going into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

Jerry Colangelo, the chairman of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame Board, said: "The Basketball Hall of Fame’s Class of 2010 represents everything that is great about the game of basketball.

"From the two gold-medal winning USA Olympic teams, to a high school coach who dedicated his life to the game, to a diverse group of individuals who have excelled as collegians, professionals and great contributors to our sport, this group of Hall-of-Famers will be known as one of the great classes in history."

John Stockton, who teamed up with Karl Malone for many years with the Utah Jazz and also played on the Dream Team, said to the Salt Lake Tribune: "I don't think it surprised anyone.

"But that kind of fits in with what happened his whole career. He was such a great player that what he did every night was taken for granted, a little bit. Everybody just expected it because of his greatness."

Stockton entered the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame last year with Michael Jordan and David Robinson.

The enshrinement ceremony will be held on August 13 at the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Massachusetts.

The FIBA Hall of Fame class of 2010 will be inducted on 12th September 2010 in Istanbul during the Final of the FIBA World Championship in Turkey.
                        Artificial Nature

Comment

The late and Brazilian legend Maciel “Ubiratan” Pereira has been posthumously inducted into the Naismith Hall of Fame Class of 2010.
                          Sacramento Kings
                          HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Brazilian International Basketball Star Oscar Schmidt is among the players, coaches, contributors and officials that are included on the FIBA Hall of Fame Class of 2010.
                            Sacramento Kings
                            HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information